Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,643 members, 7,801,870 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:57 AM

I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos (480 Views)

I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife-oba Akiolu (Vanguard News) / "Oba Akiolu Didn't Snub Ooni Of Ife" - White Cap Chief / Nigerians Reacts As Oba Of Lagos Snub Ooni Of Ife (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos by JosWatchDog(m): 10:19am On Apr 28, 2017
Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu has cleared the air concerning the viral video making rounds on social media..

The Oba says he is being misunderstood as the “alleged snub” is a cultural way of greeting a monarch in Lagos.

The position of Oba Akiolu was stated by one of the white cap chiefs of Lagos, Lateef Aderibigbe Ajose, who is the Opeluwa Onido of Lagos.

Ajose said the Lagos monarch did not ignore Ooni of Ife at the public function as being misconceived by people. He said Oba Akiolu’s response to Oba Ogunwusi was the culturally acclaimed way of greeting by a monarch in Lagos.

He added that the Lagos King is basically trying to revive the culture and tradition of ancient Lagos, which is peculiar to the State.

Other tribes also have their peculiar ways of greeting, he said.

Ajose stated: “The sign by Oba Akiolu signifies ‘inu mi, inu e’, the culture of greeting in Lagos.

“If Oba Akiolu wanted to ignore, he would have turned his face away from Ooni.
“There is no misunderstanding between both highly revered monarchs in Yorubaland.”

According to Ajose, the relationship between both Yoruba kings is peaceful and mutual.

He said: “Oba Akiolu was well represented at the coronation of Ooni of Ife, which attested to the fact that he does not disregard the office of Ooni Adeyeye.”

Chief Ajose said Oba Akiolu had waited till this time to react to the issue because he had to meet with other chiefs in the palace to rub minds before addressing the public on the matter. He said:

“There is no sentiment in the culture of Lagos.
“As we met it, that is the way we are doing it.
“Kabiyesi Oba Akiolu is trying to bring back the old pattern, the old culture we have left behind. “What happened that day was wrongly speculated by the social media to disrupt peace and order and misinterpret Oba Akiolu’s action.
“We just want to appeal to the social media to stop spreading wrong information.
“They should try and understand the reason behind every action carried out, most especially by traditional rulers.
“Yoruba has a very rich culture.
“There is no quarrel between the Oba of Lagos and Ooni of Ife.”

Watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu2-HNfLbkM

Source: http://www.jtownconnect.com.ng/2017/04/i-did-not-snub-ooni-of-ife-oba-of-lagos.html

Re: I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos by JosWatchDog(m): 10:19am On Apr 28, 2017
lalasticlala
mynd44
Re: I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos by otokx(m): 10:23am On Apr 28, 2017
Unbelievable
Re: I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos by GloriaNinja(f): 10:24am On Apr 28, 2017
undecided[code][/code] NO BE SNUBBING HE DID, HE DONALD TRUMPED HIM , NONSENSICAL EXCUSE

1 Like

Re: I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos by owobokiri(m): 10:27am On Apr 28, 2017
Spin masters at work... One day he will throw feaces on a visitors face and will later tell us it is the old way of showing love to visitors,,Oba werey..

1 Like

Re: I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 28, 2017
I actually thought that too, like what if it was one of those pictures taken at the wrong time
Re: I Did Not Snub Ooni Of Ife – Oba Of Lagos by Nobody: 11:32am On Apr 28, 2017
That's good to hear smiley

(1) (Reply)

Mcgregor Vs Mayweather Blockbuster Match Will Happen / Response To Cure For Stomach Ulcer / Korean Film Festival Lagos 2017 Day 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.