Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,132 members, 7,807,436 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) (35405 Views)

Baby Girl's Face Mutilated With Tribal Marks (Photo) / Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) / Make-Up Free Photo Of Ola Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife, Shows Her Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Codedrock(m): 7:30am On Apr 29, 2017
[img]http://2.bp..com/-m4DmLk3QAw4/WNkZ8UJhPxI/AAAAAAAADZA/uDqeqZwiN2gKZYck70ihESzoCYExV01JwCK4B/s640/mark0.jpg[/img]
A Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Dino Melaye, representing Kogi West, is currently sponsoring a bill at the National Assembly seeking to criminalize facial mutilation under the guise of cultural and tribal marks.

The bill named “A Bill for an Act to provide for the Prohibition of Facial Mutilation, the Offences, Prosecution, and Punishment of Offenders and the Protection of Victims under Threat of Facial Mutilation and to provide for Other Related Matters ” has already passed through a second reading at the Senate.

This got me wondering how the practice of tribal marks began in Nigeria, what was the motive behind it, was it a fashion trend, a beauty mark, for identification or trade? My discoveries will wow you.

Tribal marks are specific marks which comes in different shapes and sizes, commonly found on the face; which gives it another name of “facial marks”.
According to history, tribal marks practice in Nigeria dates back to the colonial era when the colonial masters were capturing people and taking them to foreign countries for slavery. People started giving family members marks to identify and recognise them when if they were captured and later found.

Thus, these permanent marks became ways of identification passed on from family to family, members of the same village, identification of royal lineage and people from the same lineage. Different lineage, town, and village have different tribal marks, some with similarities and some totally different.

Reasons For Tribal Marks
Like mentioned above, tribal marks were mainly for identification. At some point in history, every clan/village have their distinct tribal marks and that made it easy for either of them to identify their kith and kin in the event of invasion, war, getting lost, or been captured for slavery.
But later, it became a form of creativity and tattoos on bodies, especially the women. In fact, at some point, women with better looking were valued possessions and were more expensively married.
Tribal marks are mostly given to people at a very young age most especially when they are babies. This is because, at that age, the child doesn’t have a say on decisions to giving him/her tribal marks.

The people who make these marks use either razor blades or sharp knives to cut the face and they have native dye, pigmentation or black paste usually from grounded charcoal dust which is put into the open wound to stain the marks, stop the bleeding and to make the wound
Types of Tribal Marks
Since tribal marks are used mainly to differentiate ethnic groups, they vary. There are marks on the cheeks, forehead, on the temple, under the chin and so on.
These marks can be in vertical lines, horizontal, or both. They could also come in slanted lines on both cheeks. These marks are in patterns based on the ethnic group of their bearer and have different meanings and different names.
Yoruba tribal marks is really an interesting feature of Yoruba nation; although no longer common or in vogue, it is fast disappearing due to extant laws, and international campaign.

There are various tribal marks, by different ethnic groups within the Yoruba nation: Ijesa (a town in Osun state) people are known by “pele.” Pele is a-four-horizontal-line; an-inch-long mark made on the cheeks on both sides of the mouth.

The Ondo natives of Ondo State are identified by half-an-inch-vertical lines on both sides of the nose down to the mouth (marks are thick and long) called “Soju”. Another tribal mark which can also be found in Ondo state is called “Jaju” which is just a single horizontal line on both sides of the face.
Other Yoruba ethnic groups have different types of facial marks; Ogbomosho natives of (Oyo State) are identified by multiple straight marks drawn from the head which curves on the lower chin straight to the corner of the mouth on both sides of the face called “Gombo”
Also prone to Ibadan, Oyo town and the Ogbomosho People (all these three towns are located in Oyo State) is a tribal mark called Abaja. Abaja is made up of four horizontally drawn lines with two or more vertical lines standing on the topmost horizontal line. Other Yoruba tribal marks
Other types of tribal marks that exist among the Yorubas includes Ture, Bamu, Keke, among others.

In Igboland, tribal marks were scarification process is called igbu ichi, and scar called ‘ichi’. However, tribal marks in Igboland cannot be compared to that of the Yorubas as they were much smaller in size and fewer in number of markings.
Like the Yorubas, the Hausas also have names for tribal marks like zube, yan baka, doddori, bille and so on.
See More Pics And Details From
SOURCE: http://www.takemetonaija.com/2017/04/the-origin-of-tribal-marks-practice-in.html#more

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by IamDrock(m): 7:32am On Apr 29, 2017
So history has revealed it.. Ya'll should stop making it look like its only Yoruba people that do tribal marks

13 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by smartty68(m): 7:34am On Apr 29, 2017
This tribal marks are scary and digusting..

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Omotayor123(f): 7:37am On Apr 29, 2017
tnx God for civilization!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Homeboiy: 7:41am On Apr 29, 2017
I have a mark on my face which shows iam an igbo man

nobody dey ask me my tribe if i pass
again i go against female mutilation
my ex is circumsied, she no get clitoris

9 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Nomfanelo99(f): 7:46am On Apr 29, 2017
[quote author=Homeboiy post=56024901]I have a mark on my face which shows iam an igbo man

m
my ex is circumsied, she no get clitoris[quote]what's the point of female circumcision
Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Homeboiy: 7:49am On Apr 29, 2017
[quote author=Nomfanelo99 post=56025075][/quote]
low sex libido
learn how to quote well
Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Nomfanelo99(f): 7:53am On Apr 29, 2017
Homeboiy:

low sex libido
learn how to quote well
probably a mistake
Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by SIRmanjar(m): 9:40am On Apr 29, 2017
Homeboiy:
I have a mark on my face which shows iam an igbo man

my ex is circumsied, she no get clitoris
Nawao! SO She no get clitoris so if person wan play her guitar na im be say im nogo fit tune am to high tone.
SAY NO TO FEMALE MUTILATION!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by SIRmanjar(m): 9:47am On Apr 29, 2017
Omotayor123:
tnx God for civilization!
Tank God oo! If not,,dem for cut you from that ur sexy fish mouth reach ur fore head level spoil ur fain gel for nothing..
Ibo pipo go come dey call u AFONJA TIGER CLAW FACE.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by SIRmanjar(m): 10:19am On Apr 29, 2017
Homeboiy:

She no dey move if u put hand there, rather u lick her nipples as she gt upright breast, she go charge

fuk her missionary styl n she wont reach orgasm, na cowgirl
ASHAWO BOY! cheesy Thanks for the lecture..Im be like say u study Sextograhy?Me I be notorious gang member of the dreaded womb raiders. grin

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Crauxx(m): 11:54am On Apr 29, 2017
Anfonjas and thier betrayal marks sef. tongue

10 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Agimor(m): 11:55am On Apr 29, 2017
grin Afonja's are in the forefront of tribal mark.... Any Afonja without a tribal mark, is that one an Afonja... Even Seun has his own...

23 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by emmyw(m): 11:55am On Apr 29, 2017
Lol grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Goldenheart(m): 11:55am On Apr 29, 2017
grin

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Doctorfitz: 11:56am On Apr 29, 2017
Let the war begin.

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by qualityovenbake(m): 11:56am On Apr 29, 2017
Thank God say I escape grin . Addidas or Nike sign for Don dey my face. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by dearsly(m): 11:56am On Apr 29, 2017
afonj...........

cheesy cool cool

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by siie: 11:57am On Apr 29, 2017
Afon...

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by bizza45: 11:58am On Apr 29, 2017
i saw a tribal mark that made ask d owner " Oga who u vex when Dem dey create u"

7 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by SuperSuave(m): 11:58am On Apr 29, 2017
see that fine baby, ehya!!
Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by LOVEGINO(m): 11:58am On Apr 29, 2017
E get one fair & fine Igala girl wey I see, tears almost drop from my eyes. I doubt if dat girl go forgive who scatter her face like dat cry

6 Likes

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by 9jayes: 11:58am On Apr 29, 2017
Homeboiy:

low sex libido

learn how to quote well
u nko
Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by femi4: 11:58am On Apr 29, 2017
team tribal marks
Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by ozoebuka1(m): 11:58am On Apr 29, 2017
lmao cheesy ...the person that brought about this tribal mark ish needs to be hanged if he hasn't died!!! He must have been a barbarian, I mean a wild beast grin

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by biggerboyc(m): 11:59am On Apr 29, 2017
Blame it on vuhari

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by Kennitrust(m): 12:00pm On Apr 29, 2017
off topic:

please, how much does it cost to have a driver license

experience person should help me.
Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by obamabinladen(m): 12:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
ok
Re: The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) by mmsen: 12:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
Slavery in west Africa did not begin with the colonial era and those tribal marks probably predate colonialism too.

All three institutions have now gone, therefore there's no reason to scar your child's face in 2017.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun / Top 6 Abnormalities That Are Normal In Nigeria / Do Boa Snakes Have Diamonds?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.