Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,800 members, 7,806,216 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! (26113 Views)

Which Car Was Your First Car? / A BMW Collector Decorates His Garage Wall With 2 Wrecked BMW M1 Sportcars / Help!! This Car Was Stolen In Onitsha This Morning (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Audinowing(m): 7:52am On Apr 29, 2017
Good morning fellow Nairalanders. My Toyota camry was crashed yesterday evening by a truck. According to eye witnesses ( I was not at the scene when it happened ), the driver of the truck broke traffic rule but refused to stop. So the police officer ran after the truck, climbed from the driver's side and was dragging the steering of the vehicle with the driver. The vehicle lost control and fell on my car that was packed in front of my office. Kindly help with your advice as I am currently in a confused state. What legal step should I take please? The police has asked me to come write my statement by 11am today but I am worried since the case is iinvolving one of them.

Dear Lalasticlala, please I need as many advice as possible. please help push to FP

Below are the pictures of my wrecked car and that of the truck on my car.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Audinowing(m): 7:54am On Apr 29, 2017
More pictures

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by iliyande(m): 8:04am On Apr 29, 2017
shocked
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by LAFO: 8:13am On Apr 29, 2017
Sorry OP,
You will still need to go to the station and make your statement.
Afterwards, meet your lawyer...
Get one if you don't have.
I hope luck shines on you.

Seun, Lalasticlala and mynd44, help a brother

11 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Audinowing(m): 8:16am On Apr 29, 2017
LAFO:
Sorry OP,

Thanks a lot for the concern

5 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Dhayor001(m): 8:22am On Apr 29, 2017
How it happened and who is involved does not concern you. You can not write a statement based on what an "eye witness" said.

Just go there, state the facts as you know them to be true and precise.

Good thing is the truck did not flee the scene so you have a person to sue if need be.

Cheers

21 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Synord(m): 8:22am On Apr 29, 2017
Audinowing:
Good morning fellow Nairalanders. My Toyota camry was crashed yesterday evening by a truck. According to eye witnesses ( I was not at the scene when it happened ), the driver of the truck broke traffic rule but refused to stop. So the police officer ran after the truck, climbed from the driver's side and was dragging the steering of the vehicle with the driver. The vehicle lost control and fell on my car that was packed in front of my office. Kindly help with your advice as I am currently in a confused state. What legal step should I take please? The police has asked me to come write my statement by 11am today but I am worried since the case is iinvolving one of them.

Dear Lalasticlala, please I need as many advice as possible. please help push to FP

Below are the pictures of my wrecked car and that of the truck on my car.

Contact a lawyer first.. if possible, get one of the eye witnesses to accompany you and corroborate your claim..

Do u have access to this truck driver ?? if so, contact him also because he is a prime witness..

Make sure what the driver ,witness and yourself write includes the part of the police officer dragging the car with them..

If possible, engage in a conversation challenging them about the report of the eye witness and carefully record it on your mobile..

if also possible, request to see the dpo himself of the office as he may be more ready to deal with any officer involve and ensure your car gets back to position !!!

31 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Yemight2(m): 8:23am On Apr 29, 2017
Since you didn't cause obstruction with your parking, let the driver or whoever take the charge. Your main concern should be how your car would be repaired. Why would a driver drag with a Nigerian Police, of all sense agent in the country.

I will rather kill myself than argue with a Nigerian Police. Bunch of irresponsible rogues.

Better get a better lawyer before they will charge you for wrong parking

12 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Audinowing(m): 8:28am On Apr 29, 2017
Synord:

Contact a lawyer first.. if possible, get one of the eye witnesses to accompany you and corroborate your claim..

Do u have access to this truck driver ?? if so, contact him also because he is a prime witness..

Make sure what the driver ,witness and yourself write includes the part of the police officer dragging the car with them..

If possible, engage in a conversation challenging them about the report of the eye witness and carefully record it on your mobile..

if also possible, request to see the dpo himself of the office as he may be more ready to deal with any officer involve and ensure your car gets back to position !!!

This is really helpful. Thanks a lot

3 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by MPVGoddess: 8:29am On Apr 29, 2017
LAFO:
Sorry OP,

Wrong order!

Lawyer first.

Anything you write will be used against you.

Do you know the law of evidence?

Do you know that facts, any facts you put down will end up in court?

So why statement first, lawyer later.

It should be the other way round!

27 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by MPVGoddess: 8:30am On Apr 29, 2017
Synord:

Pretty good advice up there!

3 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by MPVGoddess: 8:31am On Apr 29, 2017
Line up as many witnesses as possible in your favor!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Audinowing(m): 8:35am On Apr 29, 2017
Yemight2:
Since you didn't cause obstruction with your parking, let the driver or whoever take the charge. Your main concern should be how your car would be repaired. Why would a driver drag with a Nigerian Police, of all sense agent in the country.

I will rather kill myself than argue with a Nigerian Police. Bunch of irresponsible rogues.

Better get a better lawyer before they will charge you for wrong parking

Hmmmm.And the avoidable argument has ended up causing me serious pain and inconvenience. People that are paid to protect lives and property are the ones that are even more involved in destroying lives and property.

4 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by LAFO: 8:37am On Apr 29, 2017
MPVGoddess:

Wrong order!

Lawyer first.

Your head is there

6 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Audinowing(m): 8:40am On Apr 29, 2017
MPVGoddess:

Wrong order!

Lawyer first.

I sincerely appreciate

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Yemight2(m): 8:46am On Apr 29, 2017
Audinowing:

Hmmmm.And the avoidable argument has ended up causing me serious pain and inconvenience. People that are paid to protect lives and property are the ones that are even more involved in destroying lives and property.

True but that shouldn't be your headache. Since the truck driver was mad enough to drag with them, Good. He should pay the price.

You statement should be something like: I was called from office that a driver while trying to escape arrest, crushed my car where it was carefully parked.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:25am On Apr 29, 2017
The law states that every vehicle should have a minimum of a 3rd party insurance. Are u insured? Check the plates of the truck and run them on this site.
http://www.askniid.org/checkpolicy.aspx

It's a 5year jail term for driving without insurance.

Get a lawyer, and he will guide you thru. Going to court will not be very helpful short term, because you will be left without a vehicle and there will be numerous adjournments, what you need is to hold a few people by the balls, namely the police officer and the truck driver/owner.

Good luck

12 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by MPVGoddess: 9:43am On Apr 29, 2017
Audinowing:

I sincerely appreciate

Don't listen to anyone who asks you to go to the police alone or first

Have you ever heard how a written statement has been torn and has continued to be torn until a version of the story that the police like is written?

You need a lawyer to help you separate facts from fiction and emotion from issues

In the end the decision will not be based on how you feel about what happened but how the issues result in things like negligence on the part of the police and the truck driver

To put those issues in such a way that you put the point across as powerfully as possible is where meeting a lawyer is the best thing since sliced bread!

2 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Swegzfreak: 9:46am On Apr 29, 2017
Olopa!!!

OH YE SELLERS OF GIFT CARD
BRING YOUR ITUNES, AMAZON,
VANILLA, STEAM WALLET,
WILL BUY ALL @SEXY RATES
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by bravolad(m): 10:04am On Apr 29, 2017
Synord:

This is a summary of an action plan for you. Do not be in a hurry to go to the police station. The first step is to get a lawyer. Explore all available dispute resolution strategy as going to the court will not immediately be favourable to you & could take a number of years.

There's some measure of carelessness on the part of the police officer and therefore, he is liable. The truck owners may also want an out of court settlement.

Ensure you are properly guided.

Goodluck.

2 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by oluseyiforjesus(m): 11:31am On Apr 29, 2017
Claim damages Bro
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by biggerboyc(m): 11:31am On Apr 29, 2017
You don hit my car, oyinbo repete,
You don bash my car gbese repete.

If na me, na venza i go collect in return

10 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Crauxx(m): 11:31am On Apr 29, 2017
Sue the policeman.

That was recklessness from his part.

Lives could have been lost
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Goldenheart(m): 11:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Chai
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by SalamRushdie: 11:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Dont go there and narrate any eye witness report, just tell the police how you came out of the office when you heard commotion and saw that truck on your car...Your best bet for now is not to lay any blame on the police but insist that the owner of the truck and the driver fix your car or buy you another one because if the driver didnt beat traffic non of this would have happened

9 Likes

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by iamloading: 11:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Lol
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Lamzee(m): 11:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by hakeem4(m): 11:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Get a lawyer first
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Motolank: 11:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Thank GOD for life first

1 Like

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by RealHaute: 11:33am On Apr 29, 2017
Police officer or mad man? shocked

1 Like

Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 29, 2017
Consult with your lawyer before you do anything. As soon as possible.
Re: How My Car Was Wrecked Due The Carelessness Of A Police Officer. Advice Please! by Lanre4uonly(m): 11:35am On Apr 29, 2017
Kindly seek for legal advice before taking any step. All the best to you OP.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ahh Ahh!!! See How These Dogs Tore A Car Apart / How Reliable Are Innoson Buses For Transport Business? / One Or Two Leg Driving For Automatic Vehicles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.