Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? (23037 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Hosts Lupita Nyong’o In Lagos / Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 2:04pm On Apr 29, 2017
I hate reading fiction novels because most times the writer toil with the emotions of the reader with suspense, tragedy and grey endings. So my friends got my a Book by Chimamanda, Half of a Yellow sun. Of course before now, i have read several books on the rise and fall of the Biafran State, my favourite was Chinua Achebe "There was a country". For some reasons however, i avoided Half Of A Yellow Sun. until i got it as a gift and I could not close the book until i finished reading it
The author was very cruel, i asked myself if she ever took it into consideration that its humans with emotions who read the book and not robots. Of course i totally understand the tragedy of war stories but this is different.
In the book I shed tears when Kainene brought the news that Ugwu had died. It was much easier for me to deal with it -after all its one of many war sad tragedy tales- until i read the part that he survived and i felt thankful. Other characters that died like Eberechi, Okeoma felt normal to me even if i felt sad what made me really upset was how the book ended without writing what exactly happened to Kainene. I felt she was mean and not fair, at least the novel was filled with so many tragedy, an happy ending would not have been a bad idea or even if Kainene had die everyone would know exactly how the story ended and mourn her death or something. The pictures were so vivid that certain characters remained constant to me and Kainene was just like Olanna, Odenigbo, Richard and Ugwu. I think proper sending has to be written at least to satisfy my curiosity of what ever may have happened to Kainene.
Am aware lots of people got missing during the war in correlation with the vivid picture Chimamanda painted but why Kainene?
Anyway, This is such an evocative and poetic novel. The language, the story, the characters, the setting—this is nearly a perfect novel. I was truly engaged and greatly informed.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 7:43am On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:
I hate reading fiction novels because most times the writer toil with the emotions of the reader with suspense, tragedy and grey endings. So my friends got my a Book by Chimamanda, Half of a Yellow sun. Of course before now, i have read several books on the rise and fall of the Biafran State, my favourite was Chinua Achebe "There was a country". For some reasons however, i avoided Half Of A Yellow Sun. until i got it as a gift and I could not close the book until i finished reading it
The author was very cruel, i asked myself if she ever took it into consideration that its humans with emotions who read the book and not robots. Of course i totally understand the tragedy of war stories but this is different.
In the book I shed tears when Kainene brought the news that Ugwu had died. It was much easier for me to deal with it -after all its one of many war sad tragedy tales- until i read the part that he survived and i felt thankful. Other characters that died like Eberechi, Okeoma felt normal to me even if i felt sad what made me really upset was how the book ended without writing what exactly happened to Kainene. I felt she was mean and not fair, at least the novel was filled with so many tragedy, an happy ending would not have been a bad idea or even if Kainene had die everyone would know exactly how the story ended and mourn her death or something. The pictures were so vivid that certain characters remained constant to me and Kainene was just like Olanna, Odenigbo, Richard and Ugwu. I think proper sending has to be written at least to satisfy my curiosity of what ever may have happened to Kainene.
Am aware lots of people got missing during the war in correlation with the vivid picture Chimamanda painted but why Kainene?
Anyway, This is such an evocative and poetic novel. The language, the story, the characters, the setting—this is nearly a perfect novel. I was truly engaged and greatly informed.

If you read the epilogue or should I say ,front page rather..You would see where she wrote "To Mellitus,wherever you may be"-This means her family lost someone close and they never recovered from it, because they don't know where he is till date..What she wrote is plain reality,as heartbreaking as it may seem.

Mellitus was their houseboy in real life,whom Adichie's mother adored( portrayed as Ugwu in the book)

137 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Ralphlauren(m): 7:52am On Apr 30, 2017
Change your heading.

It's "too" and not "to".

Besides, this book is rather old. Are you just reading it undecided or are you trying to start another tribal thread that would lead to another e-war between their biafrians and the other enlightened tribes in nigeria undecided

32 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by dadavivo: 7:52am On Apr 30, 2017
Ok
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by HRich(m): 7:53am On Apr 30, 2017
B932CZWTZEWSE-2598255 when you win small you still have to smile

Fun Sunday

5 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by skimarvel: 7:53am On Apr 30, 2017
Her bank account feels the same way!!!

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Chrisozone: 7:53am On Apr 30, 2017
No. I felt another way not your way cool

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Quinn22(f): 7:56am On Apr 30, 2017
Effiezynews:

If you read the epilogue or should I say ,front page rather..You would see where she wrote "To Millitus,wherever you may be"-This means her family lost someone close and they never recovered from it, because they don't know where he is till date..What she wrote is plain reality,as heartbreaking as it may seem

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by RisingUp: 7:56am On Apr 30, 2017
Ok
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by avalontony(m): 7:56am On Apr 30, 2017
odenigbo vs the house girl grin.......

You are illogically beautiful *

5 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by joezy23(m): 7:57am On Apr 30, 2017
hmm op
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Sandyyyyy: 7:57am On Apr 30, 2017
I usually don't comment but this guy got me. This is her fucking story. It is her real life sad story. She was the little girl. Was she supposed to lie or something? Please make your findings before criticism. That book is nearly perfection

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Anaximander13: 7:57am On Apr 30, 2017
undecided sad
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by corpersforum(f): 7:57am On Apr 30, 2017
Your review is a good one. I will advice you to start a website solely based on *Reviews*
It will be big if you keep at it.
Just reviewing anything reviewable..... am serious o

15 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Articul8(m): 7:58am On Apr 30, 2017
I beg to differ. Every story has its own side. Let it be said as it happened. Books should not be written to massage your emotions alone. You can write yours.
Books are written by the author as the author sees it.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by sisisioge: 7:58am On Apr 30, 2017
grin grin

Thanks for the review, I think I will pick a copy soon. Just like you, I'm usually unhappy with gloomy stories. That's why I have refused to read or watch the movie...I'm too lilly livered to watch so much sorrows.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 30, 2017
I know how you feel, brought me to tears too cry

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Talk2Bella(f): 8:01am On Apr 30, 2017
Please don't remind me that Kainene is still missing biko

7 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by aikyg(m): 8:01am On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:

The Biafra story was a tragedy. There was no happy endings for us Igbos in the Biafra story. The tragedy was real to us. My uncle, a student of university of London lost his life during the way. The Nigerian soldiers hunted my father for months after the war was over. They wanted to kill him even after the war. They arrested one of my father's friends and buried him alive and only changed their mind for some strange reason.
My mother was a nurse in the Biafran army. She was always at the war front treating soldiers some of whom were little kids of 12-15. Some were so scared of the artillery that they shot themselves as a way of being taken off the way zone. She told stories of how they cried while treating brave biafran soldiers who literally fighting with their bare hands.
I know the northerners will also have stories of their own losses during the war. We heard stories of how a whole battalion of the Nigerian army would walk into a biafran ambush and would all die from the impact of the Biafran Ogbunigwe.
The story of the Biafra war is a very sad one for us. I know a lot of people have lots and lots of stories like mine. Chimamanda told her own story in the book.

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Benitomorgan: 8:01am On Apr 30, 2017
As an Igbo myself,am always emotionally lost whenever am reading that book. So do not keep reminding us of worst nightmare

5 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by lozanni(m): 8:01am On Apr 30, 2017
@Op, I felt the same way about Kainene . I felt she should have been found dead or alive to achieve closure for her twin and family, but the reality of the Civil War is that many people went missing that way and nothing has been heard of them till date.
Some older relatives narrated to me, in the past, of some people whose where about are still uncertain till this day.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by glossy6(f): 8:01am On Apr 30, 2017
Her book is very educating and vividly captured what happened during the war

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by femi4: 8:02am On Apr 30, 2017
corpersforum:
Your review is a good one. I will advice you to start a website solely based on *Reviews*
It will be big if you keep at it.
Just reviewing anything reviewable..... am serious o
Corper! Tell me wetin I fit do too
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by bukynkwuenu: 8:03am On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:

I don't think you know what It means to tell a story of the death of over 3millon people......she was lenient with the story........if you get a full version of it you will see y biafra will exit the marriage soon

20 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by gbaskiboy: 8:03am On Apr 30, 2017
@OP u dey drink panadol for another person headache, the author make lot of money from the book and you are here to counter it. write your own make we see

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by agog: 8:04am On Apr 30, 2017
The ending was more tragic and moved me to tears that readers didn't know what becomes of Kainene. She should get have made it considering the war was almost ended when she started trading behind enemy lines just for kids in her orphanage to feed and survive.

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 8:05am On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:

You deserve to be commended for completely reading a work of fiction.

How were you able to fix it into your schedule?

5 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by dmltoyin(m): 8:07am On Apr 30, 2017
In respect to the concept of the story, you shouldnt have anticipated a happy ending

Besides, nobody sees the end of a war
There are always remains

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hacked:romance And Action Novel / Which Book Changed Your Life? / Make money in dollars On Amazon Kdp Make Money Online Everyday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.