Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,451 members, 7,801,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? (23022 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Hosts Lupita Nyong’o In Lagos / Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 8:09am On Apr 30, 2017
Those are chacters potrayed.by a good writer op.

If i may ask you, why should Romeo die in that legendary.shakespearian work?

it shows how good she is and how spell bound she held her readers....

as for me i dont read all these gothics nor Romantic, i rather go for the sci-fi

Anyways.....

Drabeey was HERE
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Kingspin(m): 8:10am On Apr 30, 2017
Unfortunately not everybody like half truth. But is good we say the truth all the time. Sorry if the truth is not in your side and accepting it will be a step forward.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by fullstreets: 8:10am On Apr 30, 2017
D book is her's, she wanted u to feel exactly what u r feeling.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 8:11am On Apr 30, 2017
undecided undecided undecided
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by tickertop(m): 8:11am On Apr 30, 2017
Oh sad stories in Biafra war. Are we gonna have another war again??
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by joepentwo(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2017
HRich:
B932CZWTZEWSE-2598255 when you win small you still have to smile

Fun Sunday

naija for life grin
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by NobleRomm(m): 8:13am On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:
I hate reading fiction novels because most times the writer toil with the emotions of the reader with suspense, tragedy and grey endings. So my friends got my a Book by Chimamanda, Half of a Yellow sun. Of course before now, i have read several books on the rise and fall of the Biafran State, my favourite was Chinua Achebe "There was a country". For some reasons however, i avoided Half Of A Yellow Sun. until i got it as a gift and I could not close the book until i finished reading it
The author was very cruel, i asked myself if she ever took it into consideration that its humans with emotions who read the book and not robots. Of course i totally understand the tragedy of war stories but this is different.
In the book I shed tears when Kainene brought the news that Ugwu had died. It was much easier for me to deal with it -after all its one of many war sad tragedy tales- until i read the part that he survived and i felt thankful. Other characters that died like Eberechi, Okeoma felt normal to me even if i felt sad what made me really upset was how the book ended without writing what exactly happened to Kainene. I felt she was mean and not fair, at least the novel was filled with so many tragedy, an happy ending would not have been a bad idea or even if Kainene had die everyone would know exactly how the story ended and mourn her death or something. The pictures were so vivid that certain characters remained constant to me and Kainene was just like Olanna, Odenigbo, Richard and Ugwu. I think proper sending has to be written at least to satisfy my curiosity of what ever may have happened to Kainene.
Am aware lots of people got missing during the war in correlation with the vivid picture Chimamanda painted but why Kainene?
Anyway, This is such an evocative and poetic novel. The language, the story, the characters, the setting—this is nearly a perfect novel. I was truly engaged and greatly informed.

Go and watch the video..... "HALF OF THE YELLOW SUN" you will like it... .
i love the video.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 30, 2017
The fact that the book took you on that sort of roller-coaster ride tells of its success. Chimamanda Adichie is a genius! Half of a yellow sun was the first I read of hers. Purple Hibiscus and Americanah are equally brilliant. Not as tragic but every bit as entertaining and topical.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by MarieSucre(f): 8:18am On Apr 30, 2017
sisisioge:
grin grin

Thanks for the review, I think I will pick a copy soon. Just like you, I'm usually unhappy with gloomy stories. That's why I have refused to read or watch the movie...I'm too lilly livered to watch so much sorrows.

Please do not watch the movie. I went to the cinema to watch it and I was greatly disappointed.
I think this is her only book I am yet to read. I need motivation to pick it up.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by uzoexcel(m): 8:18am On Apr 30, 2017
Chimamanda wrote the book most probably based on her experience..the book might not v been totally fiction.....hence the dedication to milliteus...also we should probably remember that the biafra dddnt bed happily for most families....most people lost at least a person or two...the novel probably served as a point of contact to those people
oyalunasamuel:
I hate reading fiction novels because most times the writer toil with the emotions of the reader with suspense, tragedy and grey endings. So my friends got my a Book by Chimamanda, Half of a Yellow sun. Of course before now, i have read several books on the rise and fall of the Biafran State, my favourite was Chinua Achebe "There was a country". For some reasons however, i avoided Half Of A Yellow Sun. until i got it as a gift and I could not close the book until i finished reading it
The author was very cruel, i asked myself if she ever took it into consideration that its humans with emotions who read the book and not robots. Of course i totally understand the tragedy of war stories but this is different.
In the book I shed tears when Kainene brought the news that Ugwu had died. It was much easier for me to deal with it -after all its one of many war sad tragedy tales- until i read the part that he survived and i felt thankful. Other characters that died like Eberechi, Okeoma felt normal to me even if i felt sad what made me really upset was how the book ended without writing what exactly happened to Kainene. I felt she was mean and not fair, at least the novel was filled with so many tragedy, an happy ending would not have been a bad idea or even if Kainene had die everyone would know exactly how the story ended and mourn her death or something. The pictures were so vivid that certain characters remained constant to me and Kainene was just like Olanna, Odenigbo, Richard and Ugwu. I think proper sending has to be written at least to satisfy my curiosity of what ever may have happened to Kainene.
Am aware lots of people got missing during the war in correlation with the vivid picture Chimamanda painted but why Kainene?
Anyway, This is such an evocative and poetic novel. The language, the story, the characters, the setting—this is nearly a perfect novel. I was truly engaged and greatly informed.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 30, 2017
NobleRomm:

Go and watch the video..... "HALF OF THE YELLOW SUN" you will like it... .
i love the video.

Wow, I feel the movie doesn't do the book any justice at all.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by k199192: 8:23am On Apr 30, 2017
HRich:
B932CZWTZEWSE-2598255 when you win small you still have to smile

Fun Sunday
why you no post the game here?
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 30, 2017
Sandyyyyy:
I usually don't comment but this guy got me. This is her fucking story. It is her real life sad story. She was the little girl. Was she supposed to lie or something? Please make your findings before criticism. That book is nearly perfection
Where did you get this from?? It is FICTION.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 30, 2017
skimarvel:
Her bank account feels the same way!!!

Chimanda reaching for her new check

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Bridget95(f): 8:26am On Apr 30, 2017
My father told me how the Nigerian army would storm a village force hundreds into rooms and set the house ablaze.heavily
Pregnant women caught and their stomach ripped open with a dagger and the fetus brought out as the woman lay helplessly to die.
how fleeing civilians where buried alive,shot dead and buried in mass graves.
how old people and babies were fling on the ground and ran over by moving vehicles .
The Nigerian army committed terrible heinous crimes against the igbo population who were innocent but cut up in war.

It was really a terrible experience.The reason why the president still remain wicked to igbos is linked to his wickedness he and his soldiers perpetrated against the innocent igbo population during their bloodletting and genocide.

4 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by olab059(m): 8:29am On Apr 30, 2017
Sandyyyyy:
I usually don't comment but this guy got me. This is her fucking story. It is her real life sad story. She was the little girl. Was she supposed to lie or something? Please make your findings before criticism. That book is nearly perfection

How can this be when she wasn't even alive during the war?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by judgedredd22(m): 8:31am On Apr 30, 2017
Ralphlauren:
Change your heading.

It's "too" and not "to".

Besides, this book is rather old. Are you just reading it undecided or are you trying to start another tribal thread that would lead to another e-war between their biafrians and the other enlightened tribes in nigeria undecided

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oshorstan(f): 8:31am On Apr 30, 2017
try n watch the movie
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by nacaz4real(m): 8:32am On Apr 30, 2017
My dad also lost someone very close to him, a dear friend who had his back like a brother, up till date they don't know whether he died in the war or not, this happened during the Asaba massacre, the Nigerian soldiers were so ruthless on that day. Even though its over 45 years my dad still narrates the ordeal with tears in his eyes. SAY NO TO WAR.
oyalunasamuel:

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by MarieSucre(f): 8:34am On Apr 30, 2017
Bridget95:
My father told me how the Nigerian army would storm a village force hundreds into rooms and set the house ablaze.heavily
Pregnant women caught and their stomach ripped open with a dagger and the fetus brought out as the woman lay helplessly to die.
how old people and babies were fling on the ground and ran over by moving vehicles .
The Nigerian army committed terrible heinous crimes against the igbo population who were innocent but cut up in war.

It was really a terrible experience.The reason why the president still remain wicked to igbos is linked to his wickedness he and his soldiers perpetrated against the innocent igbo population during their bloodletting and genocide.

Wow your comment cuts me up. It's sad that while we live in relative peace now, there was a time when people could literally be alive one second and be dead the next, a gruesome death at that. The East has recovered beautifully tho.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Stevenbright(m): 8:37am On Apr 30, 2017
Half Of A Yellow Sun is a nice read any time! You can even use the book to master the art of controlling your emotions.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by ponti93(m): 8:41am On Apr 30, 2017
Every story doesnt hav a happy ending... Even some holywood movies will leave in shock when at d end d protagonist dies... Watch movies like blair witch or tv series like westworld.. Same goes to book writing.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by olab059(m): 8:42am On Apr 30, 2017
Bridget95:
[b]My father told me how the Nigerian army would storm a village force hundreds into rooms and set the house ablaze.[/b]heavily

I have read many many stories like this here on Nairaland, and I know some are exaggerated stories. I know we are supposed to learn from our pasts, but how do we move forward when people tell their children stories to make them hate and never to trust a certain people cos of what was done to them by those people's forefathers like half a century ago? How are we to love when we preach hate. The cycle will only continue.

2 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by bennymark(m): 8:44am On Apr 30, 2017
MarieSucre:

Please do not watch the movie. I went to the cinema to watch it and I was greatly disappointed.
I think this is her only book I am yet to read. I need motivation to pick it up.

the movie is nothing in comparison to the intricacies the book highlighted.

please pick up a copy and am sure the decision won't be regrettable.

asides the tale of war and horror that tainted the biafran illusion, the book gives you more insight into some of the happenings from the war

not as if this is the first biafran themed work, but going through different works helps you draw inference from what actually happened as some of the tell tales seem overly fictitious than real. Nigerian history is still being shaped, we have not began

I do not like the lady because of her beliefs, but her writing is astonishingly superb (read 3 of her books asides other publications), you will enjoy the book if you finally grab a copy

PS: it wasn't mistaken how the book ended, just like '50 shades of grey'. This type of ending either means there is more tale, or the author wants you to leave your cocoon and think outside the box

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by repogirl(f): 8:46am On Apr 30, 2017
OP, if the story made you feel this way, it means she did one hell of a job. Thats what good writers do, they get to the reader and make you feel something.

Its normal to have your own thoughts about how it should have ended. I disagreed vehemently with how she chose to end Americannah but in hindsight, I can understand it. Chimamanda is no feel good, happily ever after story writer, she is very realistic in her stories.

I've not read the book even though I've had it on audiobook for years now but your review has gotten me interested in it.

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:48am On Apr 30, 2017
MarieSucre:

The movie is a fraction of the actual picture painted in her book..

It's worth every time though be ready to shed some tears tongue, and maybe underline some deep words (that's if you read the way I do)..

@ OP, I smiled when I saw the 'happily ever after'.. C.N.A has never been such writer (call her a realist, and I will agree).. That's for the likes of Danielle S. Her books are so thought provoking that they make you feel something, leaving you at an edge.

I remember when I first read 'Half of a Yellow Sun,' I took out my frustrations on everybody as I threw my dad off balance with questions about the civil war.. The explanations were gory embarassed.. I even had thoughts of doing her a mail (I searched for it) to ask series of questions but along the line, I had to caution myself.. 'It's her work and she has the right to write it the best way she feels.'

Good read..

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 30, 2017
Exaggerated? @olabs059

Please if something did not happen to you, dare you not call people's dire experiences Exaggerated. You don't have that right.

And no, we don't seclude or hate a certain divide because of what happened in the past, we relive it, and hold each other's hand praying it will not happen again.

SAY NO TO WAR

AGHA AJOKA!!!

11 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by bennymark(m): 8:58am On Apr 30, 2017
Bridget95:

accept my apologies and sympathy for the inhumane treatment and trauma

you might be very correct with what your father told you (remember there will be 'heresay') but your last paragraph clearly defines the current agitation
for a perceived Independence

'the reason why the president still remain wicked to igbos'

the above statement you made is just a belief and not necessarily reality. Biafrans should learn to preach peace. holding on to past grudges will only improve stagnation

I can bet my life that if GEJ had won again. there won't be this burning zeal for separation, it is all about the fact a northerner is ruling. you guys should always remember not every northerner is a Muslim or hausa/fulani.

if we read the same Bible as Christians, how come you hate us so much because we are northerners with no affiliation to Gowon

nobody is saying there should be no agitation for a perceived segregation, but doing it without sentimental attachments will yield faster results.

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oglalasioux(m): 9:00am On Apr 30, 2017
I believe 90% of that book has something to do with the author's extended family's experience during the war. There might be some fiction in the areas of sexual intimacy between the characters but I see the greater part of the book as true story. (There are places events and locations didn't match but it's still a great work.)

Kainene's disappearance, in my opinion, is the central theme of the book.

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by willibounce1(m): 9:02am On Apr 30, 2017
padiga047:
Exaggerated? @olabs059

Please if something did not happen to you, dare you not call people's dire experiences Exaggerated. You don't have that right.

And no, we don't seclude or hate a certain divide because of what happened in the past, we relive it, and hold each other's hand praying it will not happen again.

SAY NO TO WAR

AGHA AJOKA!!!

Where you there to witness the war? So if someone says the different stories are being exaggerated, why should you doubt. Your forefathers could have exaggerated to get sympathy and probably foster hate towards others. Whatever the case may be, the war shouldn't have happened in the first place. War is not nollywood movie where you expect both waring sides to be fair to the other. Indeed we all need to SAY NO TO WAR because when it happens, there is always no mercy.

4 Likes

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by tunchi014(m): 9:03am On Apr 30, 2017
She may hav been cruel, bt d reality of dat war was worse, d most conservative reports places d death toll @ 1.5 million biafran,s killed during d war (excluding those killed afta 4rm an outbreak of hepatitis & residual violence) somany lost luv,ed ones who till date cant b categorically said 2 hav died (my family lost 4) bt lucky 4 me my dad fought, survived & gave birth 2 me. feel free 2 research d pre, post & war years 4rm d following books, pogroms & d civil war by alexander madiebo, there was a country by chinua achebe, because i am involved by odumegwu ojukwu, in biafra africa died by john forsythe, half of a yellow sun chimamanda adiche.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Book Changed Your Life? / Make money in dollars On Amazon Kdp Make Money Online Everyday / JUST FOR LOVE >> Zeemah Writes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.