Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; (2529 Views)

Lets Learn C# Here!(study Group For Beginners) / Are MVC4 ASP Developers(c#) Here? / Here I Come To Say Hi To Everybody (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by Ceekay(m): 5:29pm On Jan 06, 2010
Good Day Nairaland Programmers,
I must say i have gone over this thread extensively and i must say, i love you guys.
Its amazing there a lots of people here who are obviously good in what they do.
I've been blown away by your constructive arguments, even tho i must confess. . .
i know NOTHING. . .ZILCH. . .NADA about programming.
I believe its fun, actually being occupied on your computer, writing one code or the other

That brings me to where i am now.
I want to learn Programming.
I need to learn programming.
And after extensive research i made up my mind to learn C++

Now i dont want to bore you.
I only need your help

In order to start i will need the tools,
i believe its called a compiler.
I've googled it, but i ended up utterly confused.
And where else to seek for help, than from my fellow naijamen who have been down that road before

Please help me with a link, or links where i can download at least two GOOD compilers i require to start
The ealier you help me, the earlier i start

I must also say that i'll be visiting this thread to pose questions about little problems, and i trust you all to oblige me
Thanks for you anticipated help

CEEKAY
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by buffnaija: 3:43am On Jan 07, 2010
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

here is a free c++ compiler from microsoft.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by NSoul: 7:29am On Jan 07, 2010
@OP,
Code Gear C++ Builder ( www.codegear.com ).

Though good compliers will also depend on the platform you want to use. i.e. windows, mac,or linux ?
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by dueal(m): 11:05am On Jan 07, 2010
@poster. For me, u sure made the best choice to learn c++. As a contribution to ur progress, go to www.softlookup.com. U'll find a tutorial 4 c++ there and it's what i started with. For a compiler, google for digital mars c++ compiler. Have fun.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by Ceekay(m): 4:36am On Jan 09, 2010
thank you all for your kind help.
so far i've downloaded a great deal of pdf files which i have been reading.
The current one is 625 pages and i'm already in page219, but it has begun to tell on me
i cant continue reading from my laptop

PLEASE can anyone recommend a good book. A very good book, or at least 3 books on c++
which i can buy?
Price should not be a hinderance

Please the book should be easily understood
but that should not take anything thing away from its size and sophistication
once again thanks
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by iGuru1(m): 2:23pm On Jan 09, 2010
@poster,
Am also a newbie to programme and i want to ask you few questions.
* Are you studying at home?
* What does c++ programmers do, as in what do they develop?

Waiting for your reply,
Best Ragards
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by dueal(m): 2:36pm On Jan 09, 2010
@poster. The question should be, what can't a C++ programmer do. C++ can be use to create operating systems, web server apps, web browsers, device drivers, interpreters, xml parsers, gui systems, 2d and 3d games, simulators, office apps. Code compatibility with languages like c, java, python, lua, fortran, delphi, etc is possible, what can't u do. Applications for desktops are majorly developed in it, like maya, 3ds max, msword,,
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by iGuru1(m): 2:45pm On Jan 09, 2010
@dueal
Can it be learn at home.
And what language does ethical hacker use, or can a ethical hacker use c++
Thanks
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by dueal(m): 2:05pm On Jan 14, 2010
@i-guru. Believe me when i say if u can't learn programming on your own , then u can't learn it any where else. And why do people keep asking about hacking and wanting to be one. It's just a term that's used for someone that knws that extra on some topic. U can't learn it,  U can only be it. And yes, u can use C++.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by iGuru1(m): 1:19pm On Jan 17, 2010
@Dueal
Thx for the reply, learning C++ at home can be at times complicated for beginners, because of the writing of codes.
I have gone tru softlook and read some tutorials there, but the only thing difficult for me is code writing, all those signs seems difficult for me.
Any help from you.
Thanks.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by dueal(m): 2:45pm On Jan 18, 2010
@i-guru. When learning any programming language especially if it's the first language u learn don't bug u head with how to write code but think more about the concepts of the programming styles exposed by the language.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by Ceekay(m): 6:25pm On Jan 22, 2010
Unbelievable!
One of the reasons why i dragged my feet about learning c++ was because in my ignorance, i thought c++ was limited to ms dos type outlook. I didnt know it could have a nice windows look to it. This is great news to me and i need as much as possible to design a program no matter how trivial it is to have a windows feel!
Dueal, this question is directed to you because to me you're the most informed and cool-headed c++ programmer i've met. Please put me through on the tools and procedure to embark on my latest quest.
Believe me it'll be a great plus to my aim of learning c++
Thanks
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by guru02(m): 7:10pm On Jan 22, 2010
@ ceekay,
What do you mean?
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by dueal(m): 11:18pm On Jan 22, 2010
@ceekay. Glad to hear your intrest in C++ is picking up again. Don't worry if it seems your motivation to learn what some people ignorantly refer to as the most complex programming language to learn seems unstable, C++ is not complex it's just involved. To get u started in C++ as i always advice start with the tutorial at www.softlookup.com, it's to me, the easiest and most well presented tutorial for any beginner and it covers a larger scope of C++ at the beginner level than any other i can recommend. Start with that before going out to buy a dedicated text book for C++. You might hear someone advice u to forget learning C++ and maybe they'll tell u to learn java instead but let me give u some pointers on why i believe u'll be on a better path if u stick with C++ instead.
For one, C++ is a multiparadigm language, meaning it supports more than on style of programming. C++ supports procedural, modular,generic and object-oriented styles of programming. Compare this with java that originally supports only object-oriented style of programming. This is good cause i've found that beginners find it alot easier to learn procedural programming then move up to OOP.
Secondly, C++ gets u grounded as a software engineer since it doesn't hide/remove features for efficiency the way java is made to do.
Thirdly, with the knowledge u have in C++,learning any other language that's close to it (like Java,C#,C, and even unrelated ones like VB) will be a breeze. For a fact, it took me 2 months after getting a fair ground in C++ to learn Java and a month to learn python and lua (serious). It's no doubt that C++ programmers are welcome to industries that don't even use C++ as there production language cause C++ programmers think efficiency,maintainability, and portability when they create and can switch to learn another language as required and be productive at it while still learning. With it u can even dive into creating 2d/3d video games, web browsers, network apps, e.t.c all with fancy and efficient interfaces the way u choose. Heck, it's still the major commercial software developers programming language in the industry. Looking at your desktop, i'll bet u that u run 9 to 1 C++ created software than any other language and your favourite video game was written in C++.
Now for info on libraries u can use to develope a windowed app, google Qt3 and CEGUI. These are popular and proven libs for that job or if u have visual studio, the VC++ module has microsofts made easy gate pass to creating non-portable windowing apps. Have fun and welcome.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by guru02(m): 10:31pm On Jan 23, 2010
@Dueal,
You have hit the nail exactly where i wanted it to be heated.
For this, kudos to you.
You are really gr8 in helping young programmers, you b BABA.
UP BABA DUEAL!!!
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by guru02(m): 10:32pm On Jan 23, 2010
@Dueal,
You have hit the nail exactly where i wanted it to be heated.
For this, kudos to you.
You are really gr8 in helping young programmers, you b BABA.
UP BABA DUEAL!!!
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by Ceekay(m): 1:06am On Jan 25, 2010
I'm reading one topic from almost 10 different websites at the same time: POINTERS
Kai! undecided

while(chapter == "pointers"wink{
cout<< "close book and go to bed!"; angry
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by dueal(m): 4:24am On Jan 25, 2010
@ceekay. That's a super topic. Keep ur imagination wide.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by guru02(m): 1:37pm On Jan 25, 2010
What is POINTER
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by guru02(m): 1:39pm On Jan 25, 2010
What is POINTER
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by iGuru1(m): 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2010
// My first programing language in C++
#include <iostream>
Using namespace std

Int main ( )
{
cout << " Programing is sweet";
cout << " hacking is sweeter";
cout << " NL is the sweetest, equal to money$$";
return 0;
}
This is just the beginning grin
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by malone5923(m): 11:16pm On Jan 27, 2010
I-guru, nice one.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by Ceekay(m): 2:26am On Jan 28, 2010
@dueal,
Please can you recommend a very comprehensive and all encompassing c++ textbook i can buy and the price.
It should contain everything about c++. Thanks
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by dueal(m): 2:35am On Jan 28, 2010
@ceekay. THE C++ PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE, SPECIAL EDITION. Author: Bjarn Stroustrup. When i got it, it sold 4 $35. Nice book, but it's not newbie-oriented.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by Ceekay(m): 3:03pm On Feb 04, 2010
Dueal,
Your location says lagos and abuja.
Where exactly are you?
If abuja, where specifically in abuja can i buy a c++ book?
I want to buy c++ how to program 6th edition by deitel. Can you direct me to a bookshop in abuja that sells such books?
I'll be grateful.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by dueal(m): 3:32pm On Feb 04, 2010
@ceekay. Nice u noticed the location thing. Work takes me btw lagos and abuja. Currently,i'm in asaba but should be in abuja for another 4 months. Sorry i can't help with the name of a bookshop, but since u already have one in mind just pick it asap. You can get another if need be. Can't wait to guide u when ur lost. Later.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by Pharoh: 10:43pm On Feb 04, 2010
Thanks guys for this thread and the links, i am also a newbie so hope you mind i join the train.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by viper3ez(m): 11:03pm On Feb 04, 2010
i say start with the basics.

c++ for dummies is a simple book. helps you get into the program and when you finish with that, you can go onto more advanced books.

for software, i personally use codeblocks even in my classes where i'm required to use visual studio.

reasons
1) it an open source software so i use the same exact code whether i'm on my linux or windows OS.
2)it does not have some annoyances i find withvisual studio and i cant stand microsoft products

its free, there is no premium version to pay for.

as far as getting books, i know this is somewhat immoral to some but i just find torrents.

i use utorrent for torrent downloads and piratebay to find items.

you will find enough c++ book on there to make you a certified programmer.

hope this helps
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by H2O2: 11:05pm On Feb 04, 2010
How difficult is it to segue from C++ to C??

I'll be using C for my Mechatronics design, which requires some c-programming the arduino board.

I'm more familiar with C++ than C.
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by viper3ez(m): 11:14pm On Feb 04, 2010
you should not have too much problems, jut look for a simple desk reference.

i myself have never learned c but last week i got an assignment to to use C in class, was a disaster cos i did not know where to start.

just think c++ without the object oriented part

ie without all the fun of classes and pointer and a few different commands like printf instead of cout
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by H2O2: 11:19pm On Feb 04, 2010
oh. kewl
Re: Cout << "c++ Here I Come"; by chalise: 6:44pm On Feb 05, 2010
IF you have never learned any type of programming language b4. you should start with perl. Perl is very similar to c++ but much easier and no pointers. The difference between C and C++ is that C++ is where the concept of classes is introduce C has classes but they are not actual classes just a fake attempt to organizing data. Therefore C++ with out the Classes is very much like Perl. so i would definitely say learn Perl.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Is The Best Programming Language To Learn? / Lean How To Hack / Html & Css

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.