Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From (13463 Views)

Abdulfatai Coker: Yoruba Monarchs In North Not Accorded Respect / 5 Nigerian Monarchs That Own A Rolls Royce (see Photos) / A-z:list Of Oba’s That Have Ruled The Ancient Benin Kingdom((1180-present) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by YonkijiSappo: 1:05pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
Look, what don't you understand in "prove your claims". Look Biafra or Biafares or Biafara is not a portuguese word. Obviously when the map was being made, those making the map wrote the name of the country and used their written language to do so ! Why can't you just be logical ! Why are you in such a drivel to discredit these pre-colonial maps ? Is it because they prove you to be a liar ? Or are you more knowledgeable than people who actually visited our ancestors and recorded what they saw ? Once again, Benin is an edo name and the map shows it as a large country, stop peddling lies ! And once agin, Benin city is the capital of Benin empire. Stop confusing the city with the empire !

What are you talking about, the map clearly writes Benin inside the modern country of Cameroon.

3 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by YonkijiSappo: 1:08pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
Dude, you do understand that the guys who made that map are english, right ? Do you actually think that they were naming a land, slave coast ? Or was it a coast which they were talking about ? I can see why you were first reluctant to show that map, it clearly shows Benin as a large kingdom and not an area as you are claiming. It it shows Benin the kingdom and Benin the capital of the kingdom. Edo state today is just the ancient capital. The map also shows that what you guys call yorubaland is actually part of the Benin empire.

lol, the map you also posted, do you actually think they were naming all the places Benin?
As you can see, it is a crude map, and the coastal borders are largely unrefined, but the Place labeled Benin there clearly corresponds with the area of Edo today.

2 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 1:12pm On May 02, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

What are you talking about, the map clearly writes Benin inside the modern country of Cameroon.
I think your map reading skills are not very good and I think you need to stop confusing the present and the past. Cameroon is not a pre-colonial country, but a colonial creation.
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 02, 2017
YonkijiSappo:

lol, the map you also posted, do you actually think they were naming all the places Benin?
As you can see, it is a crude map, and the coastal borders are largely unrefined, but the Place labeled Benin there clearly corresponds with the area of Edo today.
Please could you provide a date for the map and also the source ? Also why must you keep telling lies. The map identifies A large Benin Kingdom (an empire) and its capital (Benin city), that capital is what we call Edo state today ! Look you can't tell lies on a document which we can all see with our own eyes, all you are doing is proving that you are a liar ! Did you not see "Benin kingdom" on the map ? and did you not see a city named Benin inside the land named Benin Kingdom ? Please answer this question: Are you seeking the truth or are you trying to push a narrative ?

3 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 02, 2017
I have many other precolonial maps to post, I have very early ones. So let us try a logical way of doing things: When you claim something provide proof. And this is not a court of law so no need to try to twist things in order to push a narrative. let us only seek the truth ! forget your tribes or your opinions, use only logics.

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 02, 2017
The map below was drawn in 1666/
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b53065114c/f1.item.r=west%20africa.zoom

2 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 2:24pm On May 02, 2017
marabout:

That is what they are good at. Ganging up & conspiracy.

If they cannot silent that Areafada2 guy here, they will gang up and give him a long ban. This is their forum you know.
If you don't have fact forget it. No one silenced areafada. He was the one that drew the first blood. I told him my identity and personal history. He had to cave in because he can never know it more me because I am born to know my lineage. It has nothing to do with PRIDE. And many Yoruba you see are interrelated one way or the other. PERIOD

2 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 02, 2017
This map was drawn in the 16th century: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469795d/f1.item.zoom
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 02, 2017
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Omotorlani5007: 2:44pm On May 02, 2017
marabout:

Well just because he did not tell you what you wanted to hear does not mean others do not find his posts useful.

You're not the ultimate authority on any of this.

I have followed his post here on history, culture, medicine, travelling, farming, etc. Maybe you haven't.

In an argument like this, you bring facts to prove your point if you have any contrary view to what the OP has written. yorubas will gladly embrace the traditional story from our benin brothers if only they come with facts not "argument" because yorubas are truly sophisticated. lastly, I need to ask any benin brother to tell us more about IFA oracle, the genesis of it, the first creature that used it because in yoruba we have answers to that and the last time I checked, benins have made claim to it...peace

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 02, 2017
I need people to answer this question honnestly: which kingdom owns the title "Oba" ?
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 02, 2017
And also which kingdoms around the niger (around nigeria) had their kings sent into exile by the british ?
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MacLovington(m): 2:54pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:

Besides, you guys are just cowardly ganging up on one guy like this. Is this what yoruba culture is about ?

Just like Marabout predicted, I now have it on authority that Areafada indeed cannot comment from his NL account. If you check, his last post that Sappo quoted at 11:45 am is not shown under areafada comments anymore. He has been unable to post since then.

Very shameful suppression of free speech based on tribalism. Soon they will say we're one Nigeria.

Areafada guy says he will leave Nairaland for Yoruba people is his freedom to post is not restored.

Fada can never run away from a thread, check him since years back.

2 Likes

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Omotorlani5007: 2:55pm On May 02, 2017
YonkijiSappo:
Eeehya! Marabout and history2900 dashing themselves likes and quoting one another.

How romantic.... grin
lmao cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:03pm On May 02, 2017
I don't understand why some people would feel so insecured by the truth that they would gang up against just one guy who is telling it. As the proverb says, the truth shall set us free.
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 02, 2017
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 02, 2017
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 02, 2017
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 3:16pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
I have many other precolonial maps to post, I have very early ones. So let us try a logical way of doing things: When you claim something provide proof. And this is not a court of law so no need to try to twist things in order to push a narrative. let us only seek the truth ! forget your tribes or your opinions, use only logics.
Joano Alfonso d'Aveiro (1485-86) was the first white man that had contact with Bini. ILE IFE account had been discussed for over two centuries before BINI came in contact with Joano Afonso de Aveiro and he was the one that helped introduce BINI to the rest of the world. After that, map was carved to favour BINI. However, EXACTLY 1375, Spanish trade map known as Catalans showed that ILE IFE as a place where a king reign and very powerful . This is how important ILE IFE was to BINI even During Joano Afonso de Aveiro (1585—1886)had a record of it as REY DE ORGANA (Ojaja /Oghene/Ojeje) King at ILE IFE. And that the king was associated with the every enthronement of Oba BINI rituals( Ryder, 1969). Ibñ Battuta's 1325—1354 travel account mentioned ILE IFE as one of the place where reside one of the greatest King on earth during this period.

All the map showing BINI were borne out of the fact that EUROPEAN travellers thought that it starts and end with BINI. It was until 1850s when British had subdue Eko that they were shocked to see huge population trooping out. Didn't you see the signatory to the war of kiriji? Governor General walked through to ILE IFE to make sure the war stopped despite the fact that they were not English lettered. Britain could not take side because Britain realised the civil war were among the same set families.
Check BINI history very well. She had no bite.

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:26pm On May 02, 2017
So you decided to quote me and yet you shw that you can't read or understand what I actually wrote. If you come up with a claim then back it up with proof. The way you are trying to discredit pre-colonial maps is incredible. You talk as if you were there to see what was going on back then. rather than just say things the way you want them to be, please provide evidence ! The pre-colonial maps are evidence showing what the Benin empire was. All the claims which you are making against the maps are born out of envy. All your claims are without proof !

Olu317:

Joano Alfonso d'Aveiro (1485-86) was the first white man that had contact with Bini. ILE IFE account had been discussed for over two centuries before BINI came in contact with Joano Afonso de Aveiro and he was the one that helped introduce BINI to the rest of the world. After that, map was carved to favour BINI. However, EXACTLY 1375, Spanish trade map known as Catalans showed that ILE IFE as a place where a king reign and very powerful . This is how important ILE IFE was to BINI even During Joano Afonso de Aveiro (1585—1886)had a record of it as REY DE ORGANA (Ojaja /Oghene/Ojeje) King at ILE IFE. And that the king was associated with the every enthronement of Oba BINI rituals( Ryder, 1969). Ibñ Battuta's 1325—1354 travel account mentioned ILE IFE as one of the place where reside one of the greatest King on earth during this period.

All the map showing BINI were borne out of the fact that EUROPEAN travellers thought that it starts and end with BINI. It was until 1850s when British had subdue Eko that they were shocked to see huge population trooping out. Didn't you see the signatory to the war of kiriji? Governor General walked through to ILE IFE to make sure the war stopped despite the fact that they were not English lettered. Britain could not take side because Britain realised the civil war were among the same set families.
Check BINI history very well. She had no bite.

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:32pm On May 02, 2017
Basically some people here are just deaf and dumb, you provide them proof, hard evidence and to them that is not enough to refute their claims which came with no evidence ! Some of you guys are starting to sound like the pope when he refused the conjecture that the earth rotates around the sun and whenever a scientist came up with proof of that conjecture, the pope would have the scientist's work burnt down and the scientist executed. Because proof is a dangerous thing to those who are stuck in dogma.
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 3:34pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
So you decided to quote me and yet you shw that you can't read or understand what I actually wrote. If you come up with a claim then back it up with proof. The way you are trying to discredit pre-colonial maps is incredible. You talk as if you were there to see what was going on back then. rather than just say things the way you want them to be, please provide evidence ! The pre-colonial maps are evidence showing what the Benin empire was. All the claims which you are making against the maps are born out of envy. All your claims are without proof !

Who were the the ones that created the map and tagged it? Back what up? when I have given you dates and book written to its account.

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 02, 2017
@olu317, All the information you need is on the website, you do know how to use a computer, right ?
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 02, 2017
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 3:45pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
@olu317, All the information you need is on the website, you do know how to use a computer, right ?
Oui, je ñ'est sais pas
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 02, 2017
Olu317:
Oui, je ñ'est sais pas
On the left hand corner, there is an "i" in a circle, clic on it. For the next lessons I will be chargeing you some cash, and dollars only.
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by MacLovington(m): 5:55pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:

Lol. If the info is not provided by Arabs, the original slave traders they won't take it. It has to Ibn this, Ibn that. tongue
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by marabout(m): 6:04pm On May 02, 2017
MacLovington:

Just like Marabout predicted, I now have it on authority that Areafada indeed cannot comment from his NL account. If you check, his last post that Sappo quoted at 11:45 am is not shown under areafada comments anymore. He has been unable to post since then.

Very shameful suppression of free speech based on tribalism. Soon they will say we're one Nigeria.

Areafada guys says he will leave Nairaland for Yoruba people is his freedom to post is not restored.

Fada can never run away from a thread, check him since years back.

Thank you Mac.

I know these people. They are not tolerant as they claim.

I could see from their attitude here that they were ganging up. They are very predictable.

You guys can block me also. I do not give a flying fvck. cool

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 6:49pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
On the left hand corner, there is an "i" in a circle, clic on it. For the next lessons I will be chargeing you some cash, and dollars only.
Who wrote first account of Bini history if not Afonso de Aveiro? Who carve the map? Why complain when you have no knowledge of history? At best, you study to learn more about Yoruba history. BINI history has nothing to be learned from,was it about warfare? was it about financial development? was it about kingly organisations? was it wealth? Yoruba had been in patronized in Mahli Empire , Kingdoms in present day Ghana, Mauritania etc thriving around 11th—16th century . Another bombshell is that Solomon knot is used by many part of the world, Yoruba used it among the royals attire in Yoruba land. If you don't know it, find about it. Now see, it is not about Yoruba wanting attache. It was about other people wanting connection with us. After all, Edo sent to ILE IFE to come rule over them because Yoruba was a wealthy people
Have not read Yoruba that Yoruba didn't claim Edo state but BINI Royal lineage and BINI town. And if the Oba BINI doesn't have respect for tradition by trying to distort history, so be it. To Thy tent o Israel.

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 02, 2017
Olu317:
Who wrote first account of Bini history if not Afonso de Aveiro? Who carve the map? Why complain when you have no knowledge of history? At best, you study to learn more about Yoruba history. BINI history has nothing to be learned from,was it about warfare? was it about financial evelopment? was it about kingly organisations? was it wealth? Yoruba had been in patronized in Mahli Empire around 11th century and byAnother bombshell is that Solomon knot is used by many part of the world, Yoruba used it among the royals attire in Yoruba land. If you don't know it, find about it. Now see, it is not about Yoruba wanting attache. It was about other people wanting connection with us. After all, Edo sent to ILE IFE to come rule over them because Yoruba was a wealthy people
Have not read Yoruba that Yoruba didn't claim Edo state but BINI Royal lineage and BINI town. And if the Oba BINI doesn't have respect for tradition by trying to distort history, so be it. To Thy tent o Israel.
So the new line is that the malian empire was Yoruba ? Please do you hear yourself ? You talk like a crazy person. As I keep saying let us deal with facts. The Oduduwa story is mere unverrifyable fiction. History and religion are two different things. Enough said. Next time you want to claim something attach a proof to it !
Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Olu317(m): 10:39pm On May 02, 2017
history2900:
So the new line is that the malian empire was Yoruba ? Please do you hear yourself ? You talk like a crazy person. As I keep saying let us deal with facts. The Oduduwa story is mere unverrifyable fiction. History and religion are two different things. Enough said. Next time you want to claim something attach a proof to it !
There was a slight incoherent words from where you mentioned. And I was inferring, the patronage of Yoruba Products from ILE IFE at Mali Empire, Ancient Ghana Kingdoms, Central Africa etc. I was trying to inform you that evidence of bead manufacture among the Yoruba dates as far as the 11th Century AD. Scientific evidence exists indicating that blue-green glass beads made in Ile-Ife were being traded outside the Yoruba area long before the era of European contact.Evidence exists that the glass used in bead production by the Yoruba was indigenous to the region . The composition of the cobalt blue and blue green, segi , glass used are not found anywhere else in the world. This means that the glass and the beads made from them were manufactured in Ile Ife as part of the unique Yoruba glass making industry. Reference : Lankton, Ige, and Rehren (2006)
Lastly, you are funny and very funny because if Odua was a myth,millions of US, his patrilineal descendants won't be ALIVE. Thank God, we are ALIVE as sleep can't be denied as non existence. Now, you see the bitter truth.

1 Like

Re: Ancient Benin: Where Did The First Monarchs Come From by Nobody: 10:46pm On May 02, 2017
Olu317:
There was a slight incoherent words from where you mentioned. And I was inferring, the patronage of Yoruba Products from ILE IFE at Mali Empire, Ancient Ghana Kingdoms, Central Africa etc. I was trying to inform you that evidence of bead manufacture among the Yoruba dates as far as the 11th Century AD. Scientific evidence exists indicating that blue-green glass beads made in Ile-Ife were being traded outside the Yoruba area long before the era of European contact.Evidence exists that the glass used in bead production by the Yoruba was indigenous to the region . The composition of the cobalt blue and blue green, segi , glass used are not found anywhere else in the world. This means that the glass and the beads made from them were manufactured in Ile Ife as part of the unique Yoruba glass making industry. Reference : Lankton, Ige, and Rehren (2006)
Lastly, you are funny and very funny because if Odua was a myth,millions of US, his patrilineal descendants won't be ALIVE. Thank God, we are ALIVE as sleep can't be denied as non existence. Now, you see the bitter truth.
You lost total credibility when you talked about "yoruba being malians", I don't even know why I am still reading your claims and responding to you. You don't know what you are saying. You keep making claims while providing no proof, and your claims are ridiculous to say the least.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Question About The Yoruba Language: / Nrubeisi Na Ndebeiwu / Just Another Day At Mcdonalds-black Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.