Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,993 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Get Rid Of Traditional Rulers To Modernise Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Get Rid Of Traditional Rulers To Modernise Nigeria? (540 Views)

Ogun To End Idolatry In Installation, Burial Of Traditional Rulers / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land / Why I Compelled Traditional Rulers To Undergo Drug Test — Emir Sanusi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Get Rid Of Traditional Rulers To Modernise Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 1:42pm On Apr 30, 2017
If you want to modernise Nigeria, let’s
phase out traditional rulers, Emirs and all of that.
We will have a more robust leadership by
election. This is what Islam is saying: affairs is
by consultations and by agreements. Nobody
imposes himself as an Emir.

Are you saying that the traditional institution is
no longer relevant to the present day reality?

It is not relevant to the modern times and it is
not even Islamic because, in Islam, there is no
inheritance of power. It is the people that decide
their leaders. If the institution will change, this
nation will change.

the law establishing the Emirate Council Fund 2004. According to the emirate official, the law provides that “the Emirate Council should receive three per cent of the total statutory grants of the 44 local governments and also 10 per cent of what the 44 local governments contributed is to be paid by the state government.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/emir-sanusi-kano-unfair-millions-unmarried-women-jobless-sheikh-gumi/
Re: Get Rid Of Traditional Rulers To Modernise Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 1:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
I do wonder what is the significance of this institution at times. The sheik oddly enough said he wants to get rid of these institutions like the Emir. I ask because in Kano for example swallows up a 1.7 billion naira. Then the Emir at same time says he's being short changed because it's should be three times that.

A few comments said he doesn't build public infastrure. Why command do much money. I have issue with transparency of these institutions that's why the probe on Emir Sunusi doesn't bother me.
Re: Get Rid Of Traditional Rulers To Modernise Nigeria? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:06pm On Apr 30, 2017
everybody neva tire yet
josh naija reject went to uk and told them he wants to be world champ, with the uk support today he is world champ.

over here people like op and majority (sorry bro) and majarity of nigerians still worship these greedy people. thats why things are they way they are.

left for me, if you ask me if the decent life felt by developed countries is possible in naija ?

yes very possible.

today if you are a pikin of nobody, it is difficult to achieve your dream.
human devt index very low
Re: Get Rid Of Traditional Rulers To Modernise Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 30, 2017
If they are oppressive then let them go. Leaders should serve their people, not the other way round.
Re: Get Rid Of Traditional Rulers To Modernise Nigeria? by Pharoh: 2:09am On May 01, 2017
Traditional rulers are not impediments to our development even though i do not support the payment of all these money to them. They are nothing more than compensation to them since their power and wealth has been taken by the state.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Is NOT Yoruba Land, It Was Founded By Oba Of Benin's Son - Oba Akiolu / . / Olori Peeking At Ooni's Phone At An Event

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.