Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,706 members, 7,802,100 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

I Didn’t Snub Ooni -oba Akiolu - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Didn’t Snub Ooni -oba Akiolu (404 Views)

I Didn’t Snub Ooni -oba Akiolu / “I Didn’t Snub Ooni Of Ife At A Public Function, It Is Culture” - Oba Of Lagos / "Oba Akiolu Didn't Snub Ooni Of Ife" - White Cap Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Didn’t Snub Ooni -oba Akiolu by sorepco(m): 4:54pm On Apr 30, 2017
The Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Aremu Akiolu, has defended his controversial reaction to the affectionate greeting of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, at a public event, as seen in a viral video last week.

In the 25-second recording, the Ooni of Ife is seen arriving at the venue of the event, which has the Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu II and the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe in attendance.

VIDEO: Outrage as Oba of Lagos snubs Ooni of Ife

The Ooni walks over to embrace the monarchs, but as soon as he approaches the Oba of Lagos, Oba Akiolu looks away, only acknowledging the Ooni with the wave of a hand.

The visibly embarrassed monarch then quietly returns to his seat.

The video clip was met with outrage on social media and among prominent Nigerians, with many describing Oba Akiolu's action as disdainful and unbecoming of a Yoruba monarch.

However, when The PUNCH reached out to the Oba of Lagos by telephone, the monarch sounded undisturbed by the controversy surrounding the awkward greeting.

Oba Akiolu, explaining that he was constrained by tradition from receiving and returning the Ooni's greeting, said the widespread belief that he snubbed the Ooni was "their own thinking."

He added, "Anybody can imagine anything. There was nothing. The custom or tradition is like that in Lagos. We don't hold each other; we don't hug."

I'll continue to respect Oba Akiolu, says Ooni

Asked if the wide age gap between both traditional rulers had anything to do with the way he acknowledged the Ooni, the Oba of Lagos said, "Which age difference? A monarch is a monarch. There is no age difference."

http://odili.net/news/source/2017/apr/28/806.html
Re: I Didn’t Snub Ooni -oba Akiolu by Topsy04(m): 5:01pm On Apr 30, 2017
BUT YOU EXPECTED HIM TO RESPOND BY HAILING YOU WITH BOTH HANDS UP twale baba agbalagba. Two hands for one man that's Lagos sign of greeting.

PLANNER TOPSY.
Re: I Didn’t Snub Ooni -oba Akiolu by kunlexy1759(m): 5:16pm On Apr 30, 2017
Imagine oba Akinolu said a monarch is a monarch. Ooni's throne is stronger and bigger than that of Eleko called oba of Lagos. And ooni is a 1st class king...

(1) (Reply)

Federation Association, Recognises Five / Stay In Touch Relationship NZ All Blacks Vs British And Irish Lions / 4 Cultural Gems Of Africans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.