Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons (31914 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Never Skip Android Updates On Your Device / 8 Things To Avoid Posting On Social Media / 9 Things You Should Never Share On Social Media, No 5 Will Shock You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by onismate: 8:25am On May 01, 2017
Human beings love showing off. They show of their new accessories, luxuries they have acquired. This is the age of social media. They don’t need to carry it around, they only need to upload the photos of what they’ve got on social media.

But I have never seen citizens of any country show off what they’ve got on social media more than Nigerians. They show off almost everything they do, what they buy, how they buy, their next move and actions. Some practically live their lives on social media. But trust me, most of the things they show off are fakes. They live fake lives.

Here are five reasons why Nigerians show off so much on social media. Please note, this is my opinion.

To intimidate and oppress other people: Many of us Nigerians like to prove that we are better than other people. We show off on social media most times, using what we’ve got to intimidate other people, so they will feel oppressed. We Nigerians love been exulted more than other people.

For Acceptance: Some of us feel that in order for us to be accepted by the society or people, we need to prove our achievements, show that we are progression. So when they see that we are making it, they would accept and focus their attention on us.

Look let me tell you, you owe no man any explanation. You don’t need to prove yourself by showing off.

Pressure
: I don’t need to blame people in this category as much. Your mates are doing well updating on the new houses, cars and accessories they’ve got. But you, you are yet to find your feet. You will be on pressure to achieve so you can also show of your achievements. So when you have any little achievements, you show it off. Till you get the bigger ones, na so you go dey show off.

To encourage other people: I love this reason so much. They genuinely tell their testimonies to encourage other people, motivate them to work hard. When we see other people who have done it, we are encouraged to do better.

Enemies/Haters: So of us have created their own enemies in their heads by themselves. I read some posts where some people will show off their new acquisition, they keep on mentioning “haters” all around. My dear, if you are really concentrating on your business, you won’t have time for haters. You don’t need to show off to give them highpertention.

https://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1373-five-5-reasons-why-nigerians-likes-showing-off-so-much-on-social-media

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Kenzico(m): 8:32am On May 01, 2017
undecided
The first point is the most annoying

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by SuperSuave(m): 8:37am On May 01, 2017
Only the 4th point makes sense, others are immature but most of us do it anyways undecided grin

8 Likes

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by nzeobi(m): 8:48am On May 01, 2017
Showing off is caused by insecurity and low self esteem.
I don't know if you have seen a billionaire like dangote or bill gates showing off on social media or on the street.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by bodejohn(m): 8:54am On May 01, 2017
nzeobi:
Showing off is caused by insecurity and low self esteem.
I don't know if you seen a billionaire showing off on social media or on the street.

Davido does...
He sang about 30 billion in his account... grin

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by LordZero(m): 8:58am On May 01, 2017
The second point is what drives 96.83% of those who participate in it...
Some do it to feel accomplished.
Some are doing it to fill a perceived hole in their life..

No matter how accepted or accomplished you are on social media/virtual life, if you don't fix yourself, the problems will still be there and deep down in your subconscious, you are still the same broken entity..

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Goldenheart(m): 1:00pm On May 01, 2017
grin cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by sukkot: 1:03pm On May 01, 2017
people still wear watch in 2017 when every device in the world now tells the time ?

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by ziego(m): 1:03pm On May 01, 2017
k
Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by driand(m): 1:03pm On May 01, 2017
grin

All I see is

Lazy cone head Afonjas everywhere!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by ExAngel007(f): 1:04pm On May 01, 2017
some1 just come to mind
Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Heeyhun(f): 1:04pm On May 01, 2017
they say "fake it till you make it"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Goldenheart(m): 1:04pm On May 01, 2017
kiss

#Fact

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by slimfit1(m): 1:04pm On May 01, 2017
Most of the Nigerians showing of don't have class that's why. People with class don't show off.
Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by firebaby(f): 1:06pm On May 01, 2017
onismate:
Human beings love showing off. They show of their new accessories, luxuries they have acquired. This is the age of social media. They don’t need to carry it around, they only need to upload the photos of what they’ve got on social media.

But I have never seen citizens of any country show off what they’ve got on social media more than Nigerians. They show off almost everything they do, what they buy, how they buy, their next move and actions. Some practically live their lives on social media. But trust me, most of the things they show off are fakes. They live fake lives.

Here are five reasons why Nigerians show off so much on social media. Please note, this is my opinion.

To intimidate and oppress other people: Many of us Nigerians like to prove that we are better than other people. We show off on social media most times, using what we’ve got to intimidate other people, so they will feel oppressed. We Nigerians love been exulted more than other people.

For Acceptance: Some of us feel that in order for us to be accepted by the society or people, we need to prove our achievements, show that we are progression. So when they see that we are making it, they would accept and focus their attention on us.

Look let me tell you, you owe no man any explanation. You don’t need to prove yourself by showing off.

Pressure
: I don’t need to blame people in this category as much. Your mates are doing well updating on the new houses, cars and accessories they’ve got. But you, you are yet to find your feet. You will be on pressure to achieve so you can also show of your achievements. So when you have any little achievements, you show it off. Till you get the bigger ones, na so you go dey show off.

To encourage other people: I love this reason so much. They genuinely tell their testimonies to encourage other people, motivate them to work hard. When we see other people who have done it, we are encouraged to do better.

Enemies/Haters: So of us have created their own enemies in their heads by themselves. I read some posts where some people will show off their new acquisition, they keep on mentioning “haters” all around. My dear, if you are really concentrating on your business, you won’t have time for haters. You don’t need to show off to give them highpertention.

https://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1373-five-5-reasons-why-nigerians-likes-showing-off-so-much-on-social-media

Like seriously....you gat dem all....and most people DAT shows off have one thing or the other they are going through....they are just showing off perfect life to make people think they are fine ,....of which they are going through a lots

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Partnerbiz(f): 1:06pm On May 01, 2017
I show off because of this

See below..

Data sales.
See my sign
Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by phillippians(m): 1:06pm On May 01, 2017
No wao
Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by AceRoyal: 1:07pm On May 01, 2017
ExAngel007:
some1 just come to mind
Airforce......... lipsrsealed grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 01, 2017
especially no 1 & 2
Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Arsenalholic1: 1:08pm On May 01, 2017
I'm immune to all that.

The last pics I uploaded on FB was on Dec 31st 2015. I don't have twitter and Instagram.

The way Nigerians use social media to show off (especially fake lifestyles) can turn a man into a robber.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 01, 2017
bodejohn:

Davido does... He sang about 30 billion in his account... grin
and you believe he has 30 billion in his account?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 1:10pm On May 01, 2017
Show off that is what I dislike most. Even to post pics on social media is a problem for me. I get tired of comments. It is good to live a secretive life don't let people to know yiur moves.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by iVentHub(m): 1:11pm On May 01, 2017
Just like my friend

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by praisekeyzz(m): 1:12pm On May 01, 2017
Mtchw
Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by seunny4lif(m): 1:14pm On May 01, 2017
They showoff becos they don't have.
The Real billionaires have no time to showoff.
Even Jay-Z the real money on music don't showoff cos he is too rich to showoff

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by ollymaye: 1:15pm On May 01, 2017
Those people showing off er not dat mature anyway... u can't see zuckerberg or dangote like that

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 01, 2017
Nice piece of writing but too generalist
Re: Nigerians Like Showing Off On Social Media Because Of These 5 Reasons by stevebond007(m): 1:16pm On May 01, 2017
Valid points.

In addition: You wanna excel or sell records as a 9ja musician

Na too start yab imaginary haters!
(Who geh time?)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The iPhone 6 Plus "BendGate" Scandal / Which Phone With Quality Camera Can I Get With #36,000? / Comparison Thread: OPPO Reno2 Vs Apple Iphone 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.