Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,600 members, 7,801,734 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar (16886 Views)

Akure Monarch Bans Eze Ndi Igbo Title-the Punch / Eze Ndi Igbo In Lagos Reacts To Oba Of Lagos Anti-igbo Comment / Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland By-Election 2013: Nominations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 25, 2007
samsilo:

Debosky your cool man, I didn't get U then .Its just that I personally hate people attacking other tribes. I am from Calabar but I lived in Enugu for 7 years and Mbaise I year

You're right samsilo.
Honestly Crossriverians and Akwaibomites have always had good relationship with Igbos,they have always intermarried since the beginning of times.
Our cultures are the closest and we look practically alike in all aspects down to traditional dances and some festivals.

My grandfather told us that during his time,it was fashionable to marry "Calabar" women.
They were reputed to be the prettiest of women, best cooks and would satisfy a man all round lipsrsealed.
And many men that married them those days did not marry second and third wives,they simply did not need them.One "Calabar" woman was enough.
I miss my grandpa,he had so many good stories.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by samsilo(m): 12:59am On Apr 25, 2007
Thanks my sister, in an earlier post I said this whole matter was just a result of politics for government patronage. I have spent a lot of time with Igbos and even here in London my best friends and my brother's friends are Igbo. I even thought I would marry an igbo girl as two of my best girlfriends who are still my friends though they are married are Igbo.
People just need to get above tribal sentiments in Nigeria.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 1:02am On Apr 25, 2007
I'm proud of being Igbo no doubt but I always judge people as individuals.
There are some Igbo people I'll keep away from,that is just the plain truth.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Texcee(f): 1:06am On Apr 25, 2007
hmmm is your grandpa the one responsible for your hatred of yorubas and muslims ? you had to get it somewhere.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by nnenneigbo(f): 1:11am On Apr 25, 2007
Texcee:

hmmm is your grandpa the one responsible for your hatred of yorubas and muslims ? you had to get it somewhere.

hmmm there's always one lurking around
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by samsilo(m): 1:18am On Apr 25, 2007
I am proud of my culture also(Efik), its part of what makes us who we are.I have seen the problems caused by people not having a sense of identity.You find here people who don't know if they are British ,black British, British blacks, African or Indian.
But like you said ,its who an individual is that's more important.Last weekend I met a white family in Kent ,I got stranded and was thinking of getting a hotel but they insisted I spend the night with them and still keep in touch.These are people who never knew me and knew all the bad stories about Nigerians.
I know its hard for people to let go of prejudices but they are often not true.Judging people because of where they come from is crap.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 1:20am On Apr 25, 2007
nnenneigbo:

hmmm there's always one lurking around

The number of deranged folks in nairaland is beginning to concern me.
What shall we do?
I suggested some sort of psychological testing before admittance so we can weed out these people or better still recommend psychia therapy grin
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by samsilo(m): 1:21am On Apr 25, 2007
TRUE TALK angry
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 1:23am On Apr 25, 2007
samsilo:

TRUE TALK angry

we must fast and pray grin
May we not end up with these folks as inlaws grin
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by samsilo(m): 1:40am On Apr 25, 2007
Babyo, been nice reading your comments .I believe in the inherent goodness of people except a few.Nairaland has been a nice and new experience for me,I always used to ask my brother what he was doing on the internet up till now. Its been wonderful getting to meet other Nigerians in cyberspace.
have to get some sleep now.
All the best.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by overload: 9:37pm On Jul 26, 2007
see why nigeria will never, okay let me be easy , might never progress, wtf?? is all these skunk and bullshet,
all these minorities should go and sit down somewhere abeg, overtly sensitive people,
So what if a certain tribe wants to form their assoc. in your land whats the frigging big whoppla deal, yll should be glad people are even willing to move to your human-eating forest state, utter rubbish,
Nigerians need to learn tolerance , love and respect for each other's differences, its just a title, the people involved will have a leader to report to whenever they need an issue to be met , that way theres a structure in place , the leader then reports to the head of the local community which will be the calabarn, because no matter what they would still be under calabar's jurisdiction, people can never see the big picture, it always have to be pride first, or hes not my kinsmen so he has no rights to do so so and so, no dufus he has human rights,
We obviously have a long way to go, no wonder older generations are always preaching stick to your own, people with weak reasoning
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by naijaway(m): 9:49pm On Jul 26, 2007
I just hope one very disciplined government can come and halt this inheritance traditional ruiling crap. It is making naija a two government place and standing in the way of unity. We will be better of mixing like butter and flour in any part of the country then let it be language that is our problem instead of these criminals and election riggers to decide the country's path.
They should hope I or someone very close don't make it to the top spot because from that day onward they will become history forever.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Oluchia(f): 2:13pm On Jul 27, 2007
@Topic
I remember When I was a kid in Onitsha, the Yorubas then had their 'Oba' and we used to call him Eze ndi Yoruba. His 'Palace' was very close to our house and nobody was bothered about them. He was acting as their representative then and really commanded a lot of respect, and was a kind of security for them as nobody takes any action against a Yoruba then without reporting to the Chief first. It did not take anything away from the Obi of Onitsha.
Seriously, I don't see any reason for this whole drama. I think it is just a way of them trying to create an identity for themselves in another man's land. Infact I was wondering if we have such in the North, b/c that is where we really need it, at least for the safety of our people over (ie if it will work).
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by toshmann(m): 2:53pm On Jul 27, 2007
hmmmn, oluchi, that is the name of my cousin. you must be beautiful wink if you can, pls post ya photo in ya profile cheesy
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 27, 2007
Tosh i biakwa ozo?
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by toshmann(m): 3:12pm On Jul 27, 2007
nne i biakwa ozo
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by youngies(m): 4:34pm On Jul 27, 2007
Tosh, biko ike ana agwu kwa gi? grin you no dey tire?
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by ono(m): 7:21pm On Jul 27, 2007
Have been reading peoples posts on this. Still reading. But I must say I'm surprsied at the responses of some people.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Kanto: 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2007
As an Igbo who is married to an Efik Cross River girl, i must confess i am very dissapointed in this thread.

I am not surprised that divide and rule people like Bankole have added his own poison even when the Obong also announced that the Yoruba's also tried to have an Oba in Calabar but he stopped them. Perhaps Bankole in his hypocrisy conveniently ignored that section of the news.

For the avoidance of doubt, the title of Eze Ndigbo is only ceremonial, and it has no influence on the Igbos whatsoever. Eze Ndigbo exist in Lagos, Sokoto, Kano etc, just as you also Have Sarikin Hausa in Onitsha, Enugu, Aba, Asaba, Owerri, Port-Harcourt etc In Onitsha the Yoruba's also have a leader whose title technically means the same thing as Eze Ndigbo.

However the reasons why we are having such nonsense comments here is the the primitivity, inferiority and self hatred between Africans that has made Africa a useless continent and a laughing stock in the world.

Even Nigerians who fled from Nigeria and ran away to London, New York etc, literarily living in another man's land can still come to nairaland and write the kind of trash i have been reading here, yet these same people will still be insisting on "one Nigeria."

If we cannot live together peacefuly in Africa as Africans and in Nigeria as Nigerians devoid of ethnic sentiments, why did you guys flee to a white man's land?

Has the whiteman got any racial, geographical and ethnic relations with us?

Why should we claim our rights, even contest and win elections  in faraway Europe, America etc yet we are always very quick to remind other Nigerians how they are immigrants or strangers  in Calabar or Lagos?

This African pettiness, lack of love, and stupidity is the reason why Africa can never progress.

The new French president Nikolas Sarkozy is originally from Hungary, he was only born in France today he is the president of France, Arnorld Schwazenneger is originally from Austria, but he is the current re-elected governor of California. Just recently a Nigerian Yoruba guy was elected the first black mayor in Ireland.

Untill Nigerians and Africans begin to de-emphasize ethnicity and concentrate on love and brotherhood, the blackman and Africans will continue to be the dregs of humanity.

As for Samsilo who said he prefers to be a slave under the Hausa, i wish him goodluck. The Hausa will not only discriminate against you as they have been doing in Nigeria, they will also cut off your neck for being a christian or Southerner when ever they have their murderous riots.

I suspect this thread may have been started by some enemy of progress to cause and promote divisions between the Igbo and their closest neighbours of Cross River and Akwa Ibom. You guys should be careful how you respond.

Finally those who insist on one Nigeria and come here to write this trash should hold their heads in shame.
Cheers Kantochukwu
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by toshmann(m): 8:52am On Jul 28, 2007
Kanto:

However the reasons why we are having such nonsense comments here is the the primitivity, inferiority and self hatred between Africans that has made Africa a useless continent and a laughing stock in the world.

This African pettiness, lack of love, and stupidity is the reason why Africa can never progress.

Untill Nigerians and Africans begin to de-emphasize ethnicity and concentrate on love and brotherhood, the blackman and Africans will continue to be the dregs of humanity.

true talk sad
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by oberon(m): 2:45pm On Jul 28, 2007
Seun I really am sorry for you, your very simple assumption would have been a very good source of mirth had it not been for the fact that you deliberately tried to make yourself an expert on things that a truly simple mind like yours cannot even begin to comprehend, for starters everybody who went to secondary school in Nigeria was taught that the British had to resort to the creation of warrant chiefs for the Igbo when they found out that what the Igbo had was a communal style of leadership much like what the ancient Greeks had,a Parliament of some sort in every community ,never Kings, and that the Igbos rejected these Kings ,not to say that they were all bad but that it rankled the average Igbo man to have someone thrust on him no matter how capable simply because he emerged from the loins of a King,so the issue of an Eze Igbo in Calabar is of no consequence, its simply an attempt by one man to draw unnecssary attention and maybe patronage to himself by ascribing to himself a title that really means nothing to Ndi Igbo because its based on nothing it has no effect he cannot summon anybody or dispense justice on anyone so whats the use of being a King?it is of no effect,and if you ask me the Obong was right to squash such rubbish what we have always had has been Head men or the Leader of the Igbos in whatever foreign land they reside in numbers,as for my brother we have no designs on your territory you would do well to seek out those that run they compaines that exploit your environment and only make sure that their brothers and sons are employed in those compaines.A word is enough for the wise
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by samsilo(m): 3:00pm On Jul 29, 2007
@ Kanto,

I will not resort to some of the gutter language being used on this forum.If your comprehension of English is sound ,I suggest you read my post on this thread again.
You will find I never made any personal opinions but only gave a commentry on what people in so called south south feel about these things.
I am not a hypocrite ,so I am never scared of telling the truth no matter how unpleasant.
The feeling I tried to illustrate is known or unknown to you shared by many tribes ,i.e suspicion of their motives and the belief that if you give them an in ,they tend to try to take a mile.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by denex: 3:47pm On Jul 29, 2007
All these traditional and ethnic titles should end now starting from the Oba of Benin.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Xris74: 6:21pm On Jul 29, 2007
Isn't there a Sarkin Hausa in Yorubaland and Igboland? Is'nt there a Yoruba community head in PH (I know him personally) and in Onitsha, Aba etc? Why are some people so ignorant and plainly mischievious? Obasanjo had to personally stop the Oba of Yoruba in Abuja shortly before he left Aso Rock, an action which generated bad blood amongst the Yoruba. Na wa for WAEC oh!
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by denex: 9:51pm On Jul 29, 2007
No be those people dey distribute weapons during inter-tribal wars?
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Kanto: 7:38am On Jul 30, 2007
@Samsilo;

I am sorry for all those stupid Southerners who reason the way you mentioned.
That is why in spite of the high level of education in the South the North is still dominating because Southerners are simply stupid idiots.

Let them go to the North and see if they will even be accepted as  fellow Nigerians. Northerners discriminate against Southerners on everything ranging from jobs, segregated living areas, and religious intolerance.

You can only be employed in the North on contract basis even though you are supposed to be a fellow Nigerian. In living areas the North is segregated as Southerners are forced to live in Sabon gari. When it comes to religion your head will  simply be cut off because you are a Southerner.

In politics the North beleives they are born to rule, it is no longer news that the North likes to dominate everything when they are in power.

In spite of all these realities some bunch of stupid, lazy, cowardly Southern sellouts and greedy betrayers are still carrying their stupid propaganda that the Igbo will enslave them when the real enslavers are up North.

I am sorry for those miseducated Southerners. They will continue to be slaves to the North untill they realise their silly mistakes.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 2:59am On Jul 31, 2007
Kanto:

@Samsilo;

I am sorry for all those stupid Southerners who reason the way you mentioned.
That is why in spite of the high level of education in the South the North is still dominating because Southerners are simply stupid idiots.

Let them go to the North and see if they will even be accepted as  fellow Nigerians. Northerners discriminate against Southerners on everything ranging from jobs, segregated living areas, and religious intolerance.

You can only be employed in the North on contract basis even though you are supposed to be a fellow Nigerian. In living areas the North is segregated as Southerners are forced to live in Sabon gari. When it comes to religion your head will  simply be cut off because you are a Southerner.

In politics the North beleives they are born to rule, it is no longer news that the North likes to dominate everything when they are in power.

In spite of all these realities some bunch of stupid, lazy, cowardly Southern sellouts and greedy betrayers are still carrying their stupid propaganda that the Igbo will enslave them when the real enslavers are up North.

I am sorry for those miseducated Southerners. They will continue to be slaves to the North untill they realise their silly mistakes.     

Let the ostriches keep their heads in the sand.
Like I said in another thread,let them keep calling the Igbo man names,until one wakes up and sees his wife and sisters wearing burquas and hijabs as nightgowns will we realise the issue with Northern Nigeria
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 3:02am On Jul 31, 2007
Northern Nigerians aren't doing anything to anyone!
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Eburutu: 5:37pm On Sep 24, 2007
Am sick and tried of people who do not know the culture and traditions of the Efiks, using this forum to talk about the efiks. There can never be and will never be anything called "Eze ndi Igbo" of calabar go and be "Eze" in Igbo land, further more chieftency titles given by the Obong'S council is an Honorary one and does not make one amember of the Obong's council. There are there distinquished leaders in Calabar. 1 Obong of Calabar (Eifk's) 2. Ndidem of the Qua's and The Muri of Efuts. For all you JJC's to calabar who do not know take note.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 24, 2007
you just woke up from sleep? i will say to you, Good Morning. others had gone beyond this topic. Jump to the new topic or you will fail again as you have done now.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Eburutu: 10:40pm On Sep 24, 2007
willywilly or little willy your response shows your level of intelligence. take note of what .been written you might learn boy.
Re: Why would obong of calabar try to stop the eze ndi igbo of calabar by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 25, 2007
Good Morning Sir

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Debe Ojukwu: My Father’s Love Child Was A “Hidden Agenda” / Bukola Saraki Reacts To The Death Of Kofi Annan / Minimum Wage: Pay Workers Their Demand, Shehu Sani Tells Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.