Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Looking For My Igbo Ancestors - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Looking For My Igbo Ancestors (1146 Views)

Igbo And Yoruba Share The Same Ancestors / Our Ancestors - Images From Ancient Egypt / Identity 2016: Why I Stopped Mispronouncing My Igbo Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Nobody: 12:11am On May 03, 2017
[color=#000099][/color]Through my dad family I'm Igbo and I've been trying to track down what village they actually came from because I would like to visit and find my family.

1 Like

Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Probz(m): 12:23am On May 03, 2017
How many of these threads do you think you'll fill these boards with?
Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Nobody: 12:31am On May 03, 2017
Go Israel na, or make u go read old testament, our family history dey dere

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by lekjons(m): 12:55am On May 03, 2017
folarinmiles:
Go Israel na, or make u go read old testament, our family history dey dere
Bros! Where is your joy? grin

1 Like

Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Nobody: 4:03am On May 03, 2017
It will be easier with a family name I think. Or the name of your fathers clan. I think.
Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Afobear: 2:23pm On May 04, 2017
Jcolston89:
[color=#000099][/color]Through my dad family I'm Igbo and I've been trying to track down what village they actually came from because I would like to visit and find my family.
bro provide a family name if you have it ....then you may be sorted out
Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by bigfrancis21: 2:30am On May 05, 2017
Jcolston89:

What is your dad's surname? Any idea what state in Nigeria he was from?
Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Nobody: 4:47am On May 06, 2017
I was told Old Umuahia was the location

Afobear:
bro provide a family name if you have it ....then you may be sorted out
Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Afobear: 7:08am On May 06, 2017
Jcolston89:

I was told Old Umuahia was the location

that means you are either from abia ....or ebonyi

now try to get a clan name or your surname bro
Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Nobody: 1:15am On May 07, 2017
Afobear:
that means you are either from abia ....or ebonyi

now try to get a clan name or your surname bro

I was told that surnames aren't accurate because they were often given the first name of a male relative as a last name and you're right. Abia State.
Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Afobear: 10:24am On May 07, 2017
Jcolston89:

I was told that surnames aren't accurate because they were often given the first name of a male relative as a last name and you're right. Abia State.
it still boils down to providing a family name in details ...ie nwofor and nwafor are literally desame thing but have huge impacts in e identification of a person
Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by AbakalikiPress: 11:46am On May 07, 2017
Jcolston89:

If you are truly Igbo then you are most likely from the Southern part of Igboland such as Imo and Abia.

You said it by yourself that you were only like 20% Nigerian or so?
How do you know that the biggest chunk of your ancestry is Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Looking For My Igbo Ancestors by Nobody: 3:02am On May 08, 2017
AbakalikiPress:

If you are truly Igbo then you are most likely from the Southern part of Igboland such as Imo and Abia.

You said it by yourself that you were only like 20% Nigerian or so?
How do you know that the biggest chunk of your ancestry is Igbo?

29% and because through ancestry DNA i have Igbo cousins that are my 3rd and 4th cousins from my father's father side which makes them my dad 2nd cousins which is relatively close for African Americans who have been in America for hundreds of years. Those Igbo ancestors are coming from the Virginia area where most of them were sold. I'm not about to rep every single ethnic group I'm part of, that's too much. A relative already told me that she can't give me a definite answer on relatives because of the surname changes.

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Eficy And Owe / Is Indiana Jones Bad For Archaeology? [poll] / Katakata In Ogboni Fraternity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.