Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,849 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project (10733 Views)

Types Of Solar Inverter In Nigeria And Their Prices (Photos) / How To Use Google Scientific Calculator Or Calculate With Google Search / Solar Panel And Charge Controller Installation Tutorial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 11:06am On May 03, 2017
A client asked this question.
How do i know the number of solar panel needed to charge my 1kva, 24v 200ah battery?

Example:
For a 1kva inverter of 24VDC (voltage)
2batteries of 12volts 200AH or 100AH are required
The solar panel needed to charge a 12 volt battery is determined by the numbers of hour of daily average sunlight.
In Nigeria we have an average of 7hrs of sunlight.
However since solar are in wattage, we have to convert the battery also to watt
i.e 12v 200AH =12×200=2400watts
to know how many panels needed to charge a 12volt battery for a day, all we need to do is divide the battery wattage by hours of sunlight daily
=2400watts/7hours of sunlight=343watt solar panel is needed to charge a 12v200AH battery
For a 24v200battery
=343×2=686watts
1solar panel=200 watts
686 watts /200 watts =3.43panel
Hence 4 solar panels are required.
Same is applicable for all other cases of 2kva-20kva.

Call quick standard solutions for your solar, inverters, and UPS solutions
The Alternative Power solutions provider

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by bodejohn(m): 11:10am On May 03, 2017
Nice attempt...

I think you need to factor losses into your calculations as I have not seen any energy conversion system that is perfect or near perfect.
You also need to consider redundancy since you will not have 7hrs sunshine everyday all year round.

2 Likes

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 12:30pm On May 03, 2017
Ok, Thanks Mr BodeJohn for your contribution.

For the total breakdown of the calculation.
of course there are always loses in the sense that its not all the charges that goes into the battery that are stored.
and for loses i usually keep at between 25-30%, and as for the number of sunlight hours, if you check the write up again you will see I wrote an average of 7hours which could be ≤ 7.
However, since I assume there are 7 peak sunlight hours in Nigeria (which is still debatable) depending on your region in Nigeria.

Therefore to charge your 12v 200AH battery in 7hrs, and also having in mind that battery is @ 10% level it means we charge 90%.

Hence 12v200AH=2400watts
2400×90/100 =2160
2160/7hrs =308watt
taking my charge loss % of 30%

hence 30% of 308watts will give me 92watts

my final sum will therefore be 308+92=400Watts

which should be able to cover any losses.

thanks again mr bodejohn.

#quickstandardsolutions

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by perloomey(m): 7:22pm On May 03, 2017
nice write up
I'm doubting this because what determine your calculation should be your load and the hour u want to use the load
and also u ought to Ve to calculate for the battery as well,the battery is rated in cycles and also have depth of discharge which I didn't see in your calculation
for instance I'm using 1kva and all my load is a TV,and a bulb and i only put em one just 3hours per day,Uon expect my calc to be the same with the person using the same 1kva nd his loads are 2tv,6bulbs and uses it for like 11hours per day

1 Like

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 10:46pm On May 03, 2017
Alright, am gonna work this out to on this thread
Though, the initial write up was for a 12v200ah battery, Assumption based on totally drained battery.
And
I would have posted a comprehensive note,but am a bit tired cos I just returned home and need to rest a little.
Just follow this thread tomorrow.
perloomey:

nice write up
I'm doubting this because what determine your calculation should be your load and the hour u want to use the load
and also u ought to Ve to calculate for the battery as well,the battery is rated in cycles and also have depth of discharge which I didn't see in your calculation
for instance I'm using 1kva and all my load is a TV,and a bulb and i only put em one just 3hours per day,Uon expect my calc to be the same with the person using the same 1kva nd his loads are 2tv,6bulbs and uses it for like 11hours per day
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by dragnet: 5:13am On May 04, 2017
perloomey:

nice write up
I don't see anything wrong in what he did, he was calculating required input and not output, load is output.

1 Like

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 9:28am On May 04, 2017
Alright as promised yesterday am gonna take my time to break this down as possible as i can in different sub-topics

FAQs

1. how much energy can a solar panel generate over a given period of time?
2. How much energy can my battery store?
3. How much energy will my appliances use over a given period?

for number 1 question, I have answered in my initial write up "How do i know the number of solar panel needed to charge my 1kva, 24v 200ah battery?

2. how much energy can my battery store?

Battery capacity is measured in Amp Hours (e.g. 100AH). You need to convert this to Watt Hours by multiplying the AH figure by the battery voltage (e.g. 12V). this is just the simple calculation below

A (Battery size in AH) x B (Battery Voltage) = C (Power available in watt hours

For a 100AH, 12V battery the Watt Hours figure is 100(A) x 12(B) = 1200 WH (C)

This means the battery could supply 1200W for 1 hour, 600W for 2 hours or even 10w for 120 hours i.e. the more energy you take, the faster the battery drains or discharges.

Howeve,r you can't really take all the power from a battery, since once the voltage drops below your equipment’s requirements it will no longer be able to power it. Since I can't know the battery capacity of everyone, you can please check your battery’s specifications to make sure.

For Lead acid battery’s you will only able be to access around 50% of their rated power. (e.g. a 100Ah battery has 50Ah of usable power)

For Li-ion battery’s you will only be able to get around 80% of their rated power. (e.g. a 100Ah battery has 80Ah of usable power)

Another common question that most people ask regarding the battery issue is

Q. Are car battery’s as good for solar as leisure battery’s?

A. The answer is a capital NO they are NOT. The reason is because a leisure battery has been designed to be discharged and recharge, a Car battery is designed to provide a lot of power quickly but it’s not able to cope with a low internal charge and recover fully.

3. How much energy will my appliances use over a given period?

As We all know, the power consumption of appliances is generally given in Watts (e.g. My small portable TV is around 20W this information can be found on the data sticker behind most electrical items). To calculate the energy you will use over time, just multiply the power consumption by the hours of intended use.

i.e for my 20[i]watts[/i] TV in this example, if on for 2 hours, will take 20 x 2 = 40WH from the battery,
if it is on for 5hrs for example, it will take 5 x 20 =100wh from the battery.

Repeat this for all the appliances you wish to use, then add the results to establish total consumption.
let me quickly do an assumptous calculation below, which you can as well follow below.

TV 20w on for 2 hours per day = 40w per day

Radio 10w on for 5 hours per day = 50w per day

Water pump (20w) on for 20mins per day = 6.66w per day (20mins convert to hrs = 20/60=0.3333 x20 =6.66watts)

Main Light 30w on for 3h per day = 90w per day

Fan 25w on for 2h per day = 50w per day

Total = 236.6w per day

In other to lower your power usage and consumption I advise you swap out halogen lights for LED lights. LED lights generally use 80% less energy for a similar light level. We have a range of 12V LED.

Please keep your questions coming, as we are here to render solutions and ideas to as many that needs it.
and if you feel there's an explanation that's not in-depth, please why not add to the write up as no one knows it all. In so doing others will also learn a thing from your knowledge of the topic.

I will always do my best to share My knowledge here so keep it locked in.

email us at quickstandardsolutions@gmail.com or info@quickssolutions.com
call us on 08020979952.
#quickstandardsolutions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 8:32am On May 05, 2017
[color=#000099][/color]
I will be talking about choices of batteries when planning your Solar projects, later today so,check this thread later for tips in choosing your battery.
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 5:51am On Dec 16, 2017
As the year 2017 comes to an end, We want to say a big thank you to all those who transacted business with us directly or indirectly.
may you have a happy year ending. and also to those that we will still be dealing in the future, we say a big Merry Christmas and a happy new year in advance to you.

not also forgetting the admin of the honorable forum.

Thank you

remember to call us for your power solutions,
we are experts in Solar, Inverters, AVR and UPS installation, maintenance, repairs ans servicing.

we also buy used or scrap batteries of any size and brands.

08163169605; 08020979952

#quickstandardsolutions

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 1:01am On Dec 24, 2017
As we walk in the last few days of 2017, we wish to say a big thank you to all those who kept us in business all through the year 2017.

We also want to use this medium to solicit for your continual business relationship in the coming year 2018.

Remember to call us for your power solutions.
We are Experts in all solar related solutions, inverters, UPS system, AVR's Batteries, whether its sales, installations, maintenance, repairs or consultancy.

You can as well call for a free quote today.

do you have condemned or scrap inverter' or UPS batteries you want to sell. call us today, lets deal, we do pick ups anywhere within Lagos or outside Lagos state.

Contact us on;
quickstandardsolutions@gmail.com

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 9:57am On Jan 22, 2018
Good morning nairalanders,
with joy in my heart i welcome you to yet another new week.

No matter what happens this week be focus and determined.

You will surely get there.

Remember to call us for all your Alternative power solutions,(Solar, Inverters and UPS systems).

We are experts in Repairs, maintenance, servicing and installations.

you can as well call us for a free quote today.

We also buy used/Scrap inverters and UPS batteries

Have a fruitful week ahead.
08020979952; 08163169605

Best Regards
Quick Standard Solutions
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 2:58am On Mar 28, 2018
Think of Uninterrupted Power supply,
Think of Quick Standard Solutions.

Call QSS for your alternative energy solutions.

Solar, Inverters, UPS and batteries.
we also buy used/condemned inverters and UPS batteries.

We can pick up from any location in Nigeria.

Call 08020979952/08163169605
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 1:01pm On Mar 29, 2018
Happy holiday to my honorable nairaland family,
We wish you all a memorable holiday.

Enjoy the rest.

Please call us for all your energy solutions.

we also buy condemned/used inverter batteries.

Call/SMS 08020979952/08163169605
WhatsApp 08163169605
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 9:37am On May 02, 2018
20kW On Grid Solar Plant Specifications:

Parameters/ Capacity

1. Total PV Module 20 Kw

2. PV module capacity 250 kwp

3.No. of Panels 80 nos.

4 Solar PCU (Inverter ) 20 KW

5 Space required 160-200 sq mtr

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 6:44am On Jun 10, 2018
Happy Sunday Nairalanders.

Please remember we are still in the alternative energy business,.

Solar, inverters, UPS system, solar/telecom's batteries.

Sales, installation, maintenance, repair and services.

We also buy used or condemned batteries

Call 08163169605;
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by Nobody: 12:42am On May 19, 2019
Hello sir,

I wish to make an enquiry on how much (estimate) it will cost me to get a solar system that would be able to power my laptop, a rechargeable fan, a phone for a minimum of 6 hours per day. (I will hope to increase it in the nearest future)

Thanks
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 11:44pm On May 19, 2019
wamiikechukwu:
Hello sir,

I wish to make an enquiry on how much (estimate) it will cost me to get a solar system that would be able to power my laptop, a rechargeable fan, a phone for a minimum of 6 hours per day. (I will hope to increase it in the nearest future)

Thanks

Good evening to you sir.

From the load you highlighted, it's clear what you need is quite small.

I would have advised that you get a 1,000watt system setup, but then again, you said you would want to upgrade later.

However, if we are to plan for your current load then I will say go for the 1kv 12v system setup.

That would cost you,
Inverter @45,000
Battery@ 100,000.
Controller @ 16,000.
2panels @ 38,000 each=76,000.

So, approximately you're looking at ±250k.

You can call or WhatsApp us on 08163169605 for more clarification.

Thanks for reaching out, we appreciate your questions. Please keep them coming.
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 4:04am On Aug 01, 2019
For your Uninterrupted Power Supply, call Quick Standard solutions.

We are professionals in Solar systems, inverter systems.

Sales, installation, repairs and maintenance.

We also buy used inverter/car Batteries

Call or WhatsApp us on 08163169605 or 08020979952
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 9:02pm On Aug 04, 2019
For your Uninterrupted Power Supply, call Quick Standard solutions.

We are professionals in Solar systems, inverter systems.

Sales, installation, repairs and maintenance.

We also buy used inverter/car Batteries

Call/WhatsApp........08163169605 or 08020979952
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 3:05am On Aug 10, 2019
QuickStandard:
happy salah to all our Muslim communities.

remember to sell your scrap batteries today at quick standard.
we buy scrap batteries
we sell new batteries.

inverters and UPS

remember to sell your scrap batteries today at quick standard. we buy scrap batteries we sell new batteries.
inverters and UPS

We pick up from any location.

Call us or WhatsApp us on 08163169605; or 08020979952
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 3:44am On Sep 04, 2019
shocked

Get Uninterrupted Power Supply.

For Sale.....
At a giveaway price

Price for inverter alone
#150,000

Price for inverter and 4batteries
#590,000

Price for inverter/4batteries/battery rack/8panels and charge controller
#1,200,000

Description
Size: 3.5kva

Wave type: Pure Sine Wave

Solar Compatible: YES (You can incorporate solar system)

Key features
Size: 3.5kva
Wave type: Pure Sine Wave

Automatic Short Circuit/Overload Regulation

Specifications
SKU:LU374EL07CHTDNAFAMZ
Product Line: Luminous Power Technologies. PVT LTD. New Delhi
:3.5kva/48v Pure Sine Wave Inverter
Production country: India
Weight (kg):25
Colour:Grey
Product warranty:1 year

Contact Quick Standard on 08163169605

Call/WhatsApp

Still available

Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 11:07pm On Sep 27, 2019
Think of Uninterrupted Power supply,
Think of Quick Standard Solutions.

Call QSS for your alternative energy solutions.

Solar, Inverters, UPS and batteries.
we also buy used/condemned inverters and UPS batteries.

We can pick up from any location in Nigeria.

Call 08020979952/08163169605
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 7:12am On Sep 09, 2021
Call us for your dead inverter batteries....

We buy all condemned batteries, scrapped batteries at a very high price.

Call or Whatsapp us
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by Skylord247: 9:23pm On Oct 17, 2022
bodejohn:
Nice attempt...

I think you need to factor losses into your calculations as I have not seen any energy conversion system that is perfect or near perfect.
You also need to consider redundancy since you will not have 7hrs sunshine everyday all year round.

His method was great. Yeah we all know about the inefficiencies and the different times od the year
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by QuickStandard: 10:43am On Oct 27, 2022
Thanks @skylord247. Made this post since 2017, and till date I still get calls how this post had helped them in one way or the other.
Skylord247:

His method was great. Yeah we all know about the inefficiencies and the different times od the year
Re: How To Calculate And Know D Number Of Solar Panel Needed For Your Solar Project by Thazard(m): 1:59pm On Apr 11

(1) (Reply)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Download It Here Now Now!!!!! FOR ALL ANDROID / Nigeria To Start Exporting Technologies To African Countries, Says Minister / Why Black People Are Well Endowed: An Anthropological Dissection.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.