Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,773 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! (6439 Views)

Weather Forecast Across Nigeria Today / Bad Weather Grounds Flights Across The Country / How Have The Recent Gale-force Winds Affected You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 07, 2010
For those living in countries hit by heavy snow, how have you coped?

We had snow two weeks before Christmas, it fell heavily, and in Suffolk, we had 13" overnight. It didn't clear till a few days before Christmas - some places like Milton Keynes, Peterborough, Ely and Lincolnshire had the snow sitting till way after Christmas!

Temperatures now are typically -6 degrees celsius, so bitterly cold! It's been snowing for the past week, I work about 28 miles from my home, and the journey usually takes about 25 minutes, or 20 if traffic's light. This morning, it took me over an hour to do the same journey! And as usual, the average Brits are panic buying food - lots of stores were out of bread, eggs, milk, tinned food, with some buyers buying 15 loaves of bread, 10 2-pint bottles of fresh milk, and all the eggs they can get their hands on! cheesy

My car's all-wheel drive, so I haven't gotten stuck, but it's awful driving behind folk that decide to do 10 MPH due to their inexperience at driving in snow. And, the weather's set to continue for the next couple of weeks, with more bad snowfall predicted for March - last year was mild in comparison, we usually get the worst snow end of January / beginning of February. So, those in snowy regions, brush up on your driving skills - you're going to need them! wink

Please feel free to share any pictures showing how bad your regions are - I'll post some pictures soon. If you've managed to blag time off work on full pay, due to the bad roads, let's know too - or indeed, if your place of work has taken time off, like a lot of schools, let's know how this has affected you too - are you enjoying time off, building snowmen, or indulging in some winter sports? smiley
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by IVORY2009(m): 10:53pm On Jan 07, 2010
Na watin cum consign us With bad wealther 4 inside Uk hmmm
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by johnkent(m): 2:37am On Jan 08, 2010
I live in Kansas and the temp with wind chill this morning was -30 degrees Celsius. It's been this cold for a few days now and i'll be worse tomorrow.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by nethacker(m): 4:02am On Jan 08, 2010
IVORY2009:

Na watin come consign us With bad wealther 4 inside Uk hmmm
will u shut up angry
@post,Arizona ain't bad @all compared to Newyork,arrrgggghhhhh dat place is crazy wink
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by smile4kenn(m): 4:51am On Jan 08, 2010
hmmm dats ma house

Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by ayomifull(f): 2:25pm On Jan 08, 2010
Its actually terrible here as well, we have all while Ireland now. I am lucky though as trains and trams that services my area works so i am able to commute to work fine just more expensive because i have a prepaid bus ticket but now has to buy train/tram ticket for same period as buses are off the road in my area.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by suxes2005(m): 7:28pm On Jan 08, 2010
I wish u guys berra.

Nethacker, can u describe d cold in nyc?

SHALOM
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by tunnytox(m): 7:31pm On Jan 08, 2010
Very treacherous road condition here in Manchester and more coming this weekend,
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by juzme: 7:37pm On Jan 08, 2010
Here is my dead end! Really frozen. good we can see sun today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oBMc7cdQqM
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nija4Life(m): 7:57pm On Jan 08, 2010
I am down in Berkshire and like other places up and down the country, the problem is not just snow but ice which is making conditions here bad. Being a teacher, my school has been closed since Wednesday and I have been home doing some planning and looking after my little boy.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by igbonla(m): 11:41pm On Jan 08, 2010
This should be for the UK/Europe alone? Otherwise, it is a normal occurrence here; I was in Barrie yesterday and my borrowed Camry almost got stuck in the snow!
No place like naija!
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 12:00am On Jan 09, 2010
Well, it was freezing cold this morning, but I love driving in the snow - this is when it pays to drive an AWD car.  smiley

This however, was the outside temperature, as shown on the ambient temperature display in the dash cluster:

Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 12:07am On Jan 09, 2010
More snow shots:

Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 12:08am On Jan 09, 2010
And. . .

Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 3:59am On Jan 09, 2010
should I sell you guys some ice scrapers over there?

Please tell me you didnt drive the car like that- all covered in snow. Quite dangerous, because the snow on the roof can fall on the windshield while you're driving.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by bameyi(m): 4:55am On Jan 09, 2010
here in oklahoma city we only had the snow 2 days b/4 xmas but now we have bad cold weather -5 tonight that is with wind chilli factor. i have 2 18 wheeler one of the driver lost control of it on I 80 somewhere in bloomsburg, PA. men i wish the bad road condition will improve. man go feed him family Oh. sad
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by bluespice(f): 5:03am On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

should I sell you guys some ice scrapers over there?

Please tell me you didnt drive the car like that- all covered in snow. Quite dangerous, because the snow on the roof can fall on the windshield while you're driving.
scrapers is a term foreign to many drivers it would seem
most just de-ice n get going, then get on the free way n send icy-snow hurling at people's windscreens
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by No2Atheism(m): 5:05am On Jan 09, 2010
@topic

so much for Global Warming . . . and the so called "Weather is not Climate" Department of public opinion . . .
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 5:05am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

scrapers is a term foreign to many drivers it would seem
most just de-ice n get going, then get on the free way n send icy-snow hurling at people's windscreens

de-ice using the windshield wipers you mean? Some snow is too heavy for that, and you have to scrape it off or your wipers will freeze.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by bluespice(f): 5:12am On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

de-ice using the windshield wipers you mean? Some snow is too heavy for that, and you have to scrape it off or your wipers will freeze.

naw de-icers spray on the windscreen n then wipe
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 5:44am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

naw de-icers spray on the windscreen n then wipe

yes, but you should still scrape off the snow/ice first if possible.

In heavy snowfalls, the wipers wont move and the de-icer cant p.enetrate thick snow piled on the windshield.

In light snow, the de-icer can do all the work.

How heavy was the UK snow?   13"? Seems like a lot though it all depends I suppose.

I'm just speaking from past experience.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by bluespice(f): 5:51am On Jan 09, 2010
Yes they scrape the windscreens in heavy snow but what about that on the body?
that's what i have an issue with
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 6:16am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

Yes they scrape the windscreens in heavy snow but what about that on the body?
that's what i have an issue with

@ bolded

you shake it off or stay to the side while scraping. (windward so the snow blows away from you)

Not easy but no way of avoiding it sometimes. Frozen fingers, nose and getting chilled all through. Not fun at all.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by igbonla(m): 6:18am On Jan 09, 2010
Still gathering momentum with temp at -14!

Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by bluespice(f): 7:03am On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

@ bolded

you shake it off or stay to the side while scraping. (windward so the snow blows away from you)

Not easy but no way of avoiding it sometimes. Frozen fingers, nose and getting chilled all through. Not fun at all.
so you're one of those i have issues with!
the wind blows the snow away from you which is in clumps btw (the snow i mean) onto the windscreen of the innocent person/people driving behind you, do you then expect them to stop while driving to scrape off the massive blob of snow sitting in the middle of their windscreen?
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 7:09am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

so you're one of those i have issues with!
the wind blows the snow away from you which is in clumps btw (the snow i mean) onto the windscreen of the innocent person/people driving behind you, do you then expect them to stop while driving to scrape off the massive blob of snow sitting in the middle of their windscreen?

No- you scrape the snow off before leaving the house, not on the highway. Before you start driving.

If you leave the snow on the car roof, there's a greater chance of the scenario you just described- it may slide or blow off onto the windshield of the car behind or around you while driving.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by bluespice(f): 7:11am On Jan 09, 2010
tpia.:

No- you scrape the snow off before leaving the house, not on the highway. Before you start driving.

If you leave the snow on the car roof, there's a greater chance of the scenario you just described- it may slide or blow off onto the windshield of the car behind or around you while driving.
Then we are back to the same problem. The concept of scrapers is foreign it would seem to a lot of drivers!
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 09, 2010
bluespice:

Then we are back to the same problem. The concept of scrapers is foreign it would seem to a lot of drivers!

true.

the scraping I described was for a stationary car, not a moving vehicle.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by grace5: 11:27am On Jan 09, 2010
E

Guys,
Mild winter was predicted for winter as all over  Europe.
but God Almighty is in control of nature wind,snow,rain and waves.
He have the last word even your life,which HE gives his life as a Ransom
on the cross.HE IS WAITING FOR YOU,BELIVE IN JESUS CHRIST.HE will direct
your live by his love.
JESUS LOVES YOU.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by funkybaby(f): 2:11pm On Jan 09, 2010
horrible !

i slipped and fell two days ago, thanks to ice on the road angry angry
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by honeric01(m): 2:25pm On Jan 09, 2010
More to Come, sign of end time.

Book of Revelation comes to mind.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Spyker: 3:32pm On Jan 09, 2010
I like naija ooh, nothing go carry me leave naija until end of February.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Rules For Nigerians Travelling To The U.s / List Of Countries In The World And Their Capitals 2014 / I Need To Travel This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.