Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,292 members, 7,807,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Honda Pilot Advice Needed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Pilot Advice Needed (10213 Views)

Honda Pilot Advice Needed !!! / Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / The All New 2019 Honda Pilot Is Finally Here (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 8:02pm On May 03, 2017
Hello All.
I have been actively working on getting another car for some time. To cut it short, I found an A-list Tokunbo Honda Pilot today, and it really captured me. The manufacture date is August 2004 but the dealer says it's a 2005 model. It was in practically perfect condition on all counts, in and out, including the back seat video. The silver color would also sit well beside my present silver EOD. I fell so much in love with the car, and the negotiated price of 2.4 m was just perfect for my budget.
But there is the usual talk about Honda cars, including common issues and their resale value. In the circumstances, I need all the advice I can get to make my decision, including on management tips if I go for it. My alternative is a Toyota Highlander 2003, which I also found for 2.65 m today. Advice about this alternative would also be well appreciated.
Thanks very much.
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by abolore80(m): 9:44pm On May 03, 2017
If you have the additonal cash, go for the toyota, you will see the difference later on.
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by Nobody: 10:10pm On May 03, 2017
A 2005 Highlander is no match for a 2005 Pilot.. The only Highlander that comes close is the Limited version. The Pilot is more loaded and the engine is more potent.. I just don't know why the Highlander is more expensive.

Op I was in the same situation as u last year when I wanted to upgrade my EOD. My first choice was a 2005 Highlander, but then I saw the pilot and fell in love with it. Most highlanders I saw were like kpangolo as the Limited edition was scarce and too expensive. The Pilot gives better value for money so I had to settle for it, plus 4wd is standard. Mine is the EX-L with RES and I'm enjoying it. Better than paying more for a stripped down boring highlander. Damn I hate the interior of the non limited highlander, so fugly.

13 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by RZArecta(m): 2:08am On May 04, 2017
That particular Pilot has no issues, I dunno what anybody wants to say about it, I used that same 2005 model for three years with only regular oil change as my "expensive" maintenance. Don't get me wrong, highlander isn't a bad car but the pilot can hold it's own any day, besides all cars get their own wahala

2 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by sultaan(m): 3:00am On May 04, 2017
If you like it buy it, but always do proper checks before payment
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by Nobody: 4:23am On May 04, 2017
OP, maybe try to find a 4Runner?
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 9:34pm On May 04, 2017
greenhulk:
A 2005 Highlander is no match for a 2005 Pilot.. The only Highlander that comes close is the Limited version. The Pilot is more loaded and the engine is more potent.. I just don't know why the Highlander is more expensive.

Op I was in the same situation as u last year when I wanted to upgrade my EOD. My first choice was a 2005 Highlander, but then I saw the pilot and fell in love with it. Most highlanders I saw were like kpangolo as the Limited edition was scarce and too expensive. The Pilot gives better value for money so I had to settle for it, plus 4wd is standard. Mine is the EX-L with RES and I'm enjoying it. Better than paying more for a stripped down boring highlander. Damn I hate the interior of the non limited highlander, so fugly.

Sounds like music. I am enthused! Thanks.
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 9:35pm On May 04, 2017
RZArecta:
That particular Pilot has no issues, I dunno what anybody wants to say about it, I used that same 2005 model for three years with only regular oil change as my "expensive" maintenance. Don't get me wrong, highlander isn't a bad car but the pilot can hold it's own any day, besides all cars get their own wahala

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 9:36pm On May 04, 2017
sultaan:
If you like it but it, but always do proper checks before payment

Thanks. Will do.
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 9:37pm On May 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:
OP, maybe try to find a 4Runner?

Took a look at the Runner also. Apart from being even more expensive than the Highlander, I found the interior too "trucky."

1 Like

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 9:41pm On May 04, 2017
abolore80:
If you have the additonal cash, go for the toyota, you will see the difference later on.

Well appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by Nobody: 11:26pm On May 04, 2017
TKH:

Took a look at the Runner also. Apart from being even more expensive than the Highlander, I found the interior too "trucky."

Hence why I specifically recommended it. For that truckiness.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by abolore80(m): 6:37pm On May 05, 2017
honda has a very good and reliable engine. However, the ball joint issue is very scarry. If you can pay a very good attention to that. You can go for it. you will surely enjoy it, if you're careful with it. On the other hand, toyota is rugged.

2 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 05, 2017
abolore80:
honda has a very good and reliable engine. However, the ball joint issue is very scarry. If you can pay a very good attention to that. You can go for it. you will surely enjoy it, if you're careful with it. On the other hand, toyota is rugged.

Have u ever seen a pilot with ball joint issue? That issue is almost non existent on the pilot and MDX.

8 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by abolore80(m): 9:07am On May 06, 2017
i've seen with pilot, particularly when the owner is careless.
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by Nobody: 9:52am On May 06, 2017
abolore80:
i've seen with pilot, particularly when the owner is careless.

I've also seen with 4 runner, Mercedes Benz, Lincoln navigator, vw. Any car will have ball joint pull if the driver is careless.

6 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by gbope(m): 5:20pm On May 06, 2017
It all comes down to choice, but from personal experience, I would go for the 2005 highlander instead . It depends on what you want sha but for me the structural or suspension parts of Honda's leaves a lot to be desired. Good luck cheers .
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by diportivo: 10:32pm On May 07, 2017
pilot it is bro

don't think about it at all

that highlander is just and overpriced carton undecided

3 Likes

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 11:15am On May 08, 2017
diportivo:
pilot it is bro

don't think about it at all

that highlander is just and overpriced carton undecided

Lol.

Thanks to you all. I eventually bought the 2005 Pilot last Saturday. I very much appreciate the contributions.

Now, this is my first Toks, my previous two buys (a Baby Boy and EOD) having been Nigerian-used. I would greatly appreciate your advice on the appropriate steps to follow. I mean things like the appropriate engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, break fluids, and plugs, and whether I should change the present ones. I had expected to change the tires, but the ones there appear strong.

Thanks once again.
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by mili3kid(m): 3:26pm On May 08, 2017
TKH:

Lol.

Thanks to you all. I eventually bought the 2005 Pilot last Saturday. I very much appreciate the contributions.

Now, this is my first Toks, my previous two buys (a Baby Boy and EOD) having been Nigerian-used. I would greatly appreciate your advice on the appropriate steps to follow. I mean things like the appropriate engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, break fluids, and plugs, and whether I should change the present ones. I had expected to change the tires, but the ones there appear strong.

Thanks once again.
atleast make we see the car na.. pictures nko?
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by davidhoop: 7:19pm On May 08, 2017
congrats bro, just follow the recommended maintenance in the handbook and u will be fine, u just got urself a roadrunner
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by abolore80(m): 7:55pm On May 08, 2017
Congrats bro...you will surely enjoy it. However, learn to know your new car very well and pay good attention to it.
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by FlyboyZee: 10:29am On May 09, 2017
TKH:

Lol.

Thanks once again.
You should have @Luvinhubby's number in your phone book by now. He's gonna sort you out on all those queries you raised...

https://www.nairaland.com/996664/maintenance-tips-honda-cars

1 Like

Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 10:04am On May 13, 2017
abolore80:
Congrats bro...you will surely enjoy it. However, learn to know your new car very well and pay good attention to it.

Thanks bro
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by TKH(m): 10:05am On May 13, 2017
Thanks bro
davidhoop:
congrats bro, just follow the recommended maintenance in the handbook and u will be fine, u just got urself a roadrunner
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by odimbannamdi(m): 1:03am On Dec 25, 2019
greenhulk:

Nice recounting.

I am looking to get a 2007 Honda Pilot, and i have been in extensive talks with the seller?

What is your take, especially as regards the price, overall functionality and accidented value?
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by odimbannamdi(m): 1:03am On Dec 25, 2019
greenhulk:

I've also seen with 4 runner, Mercedes Benz, Lincoln navigator, vw. Any car will have ball joint pull if the driver is careless.

What causes this ball-joint issue
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by odimbannamdi(m): 1:05am On Dec 25, 2019
TKH:

Lol.

Thanks once again.

Congratulations, sir.

How are you enjoying your SUV?

Would you advise a bro to guy a Honda Pilot 2007 model?
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by Rapidpolystyren(m): 2:40pm On Dec 29, 2019
odimbannamdi:

Nice recounting.

I am looking to get a 2007 Honda Pilot, and i have been in extensive talks with the seller?

What is your take, especially as regards the price, overall functionality and accidented value?
I have a 2003 tokunbo Honda pilot in lagos
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by odimbannamdi(m): 8:11am On Dec 30, 2019
Rapidpolystyren:

How do i reach you?
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by kuss: 11:50am On Dec 30, 2019
Re: Honda Pilot Advice Needed by bethrothen(m): 3:15pm On Jan 01, 2020
How much? Pictures? Location?

Rapidpolystyren:

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

15 Interesting Fun Facts About The Mercedes Benz And Daimler AG / Has Your Car Ever Disappointed You When You Needed It The Most / A Food For Thought Before Buying Naija Used Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.