Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,118 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising (9472 Views)

When ICE Cars Drowns in Flood,All-electric Cars Keeps Cruising:Check This Out / Auto Tanny Goes To Neutral While Cruising / Which Is Faster Between Power Bikes And Sport Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Suspense12(m): 10:55am On May 04, 2017
I have tried to understand the real difference between driving in Sport (S), Economy (E) or Over Drive (O/D). I have read about it but it just seems to confuse as I have not gotten the tangible difference between in all those gear selection.

Which is more economical when it comes to fuel consumption ?
S, E or O/D

Which ensure smoother gear transmission and speed?

I appreciate your contributions...

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 04, 2017
It is self explanatory at least for E (Economy). U asked which one is more economical in terms of fuel.. it is written clearly.. it is E. In this mode ur car will shift smoothly at lower rpm saving fuel.

Sport (S) is for aggressive driving. Ur car will shift at higher rpm's for faster acceleration but will consume more fuel.

O/D is overdrive. Activating it means ur car will not shift to higher gear when u just want to cruise in the city. Lets say ur car is 5 speed automatic, with O/D activated ur car will not shift beyond gear 3 or 4. U don't want to a deactivate that while driving on the highway.

15 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Suspense12(m): 3:05pm On May 05, 2017
greenhulk:
It is self explanatory at least for E (Economy). U asked which one is more economical in terms of fuel.. it is written clearly.. it is E. In this mode ur car will shift smoothly at lower rpm saving fuel.

Sport (S) is for aggressive driving. Ur car will shift at higher rpm's for faster acceleration but will consume more fuel.

O/D is overdrive. Activating it means ur car will not shift to higher gear when u just want to cruise in the city. Lets say ur car is 5 speed automatic, with O/D activated ur car will not shift beyond gear 3 or 4. U don't want to activate that while driving on the highway.

Nice one, think that I will observe my car fuel consumption in the need few days....Will change to Eat and observe the workings and I will post a feedback
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by honmusa(m): 4:00pm On May 05, 2017
greenhulk:

O/D is overdrive. Activating it means ur car will not shift to higher gear when u just want to cruise in the city. Lets say ur car is 5 speed automatic, with O/D activated ur car will not shift beyond gear 3 or 4. U don't want to activate that while driving on the highway.
Your explanation of overdrive is wrong.
You actually need overdrive if your are on highway cos overdrive is your last gear.
It is at overdrive you can achieve best fuel mileage and technically ,your vehicle speed is greater than engine speed.

26 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 05, 2017
honmusa:

You actually need overdrive if your are on highway cos overdrive is your last gear.
It is at overdrive you can achieve best fuel mileage and technically ,your vehicle speed is greater than engine speed.

Normally overdrive is activated by default. So pressing the overdrive button deactivates overdrive and that was why I said u don't wanna press the overdrive button on the highway (because it deactivates overdrive).

8 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by kinxlink(m): 7:14am On May 06, 2017
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by honmusa(m): 7:16am On May 06, 2017
greenhulk:

Normally overdrive is activated by default. So pressing the overdrive button deactivates overdrive and that was why I said u don't wanna press the overdrive button on the highway (because it deactivates overdrive).
u need to read what u said earlier about overdrive.

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by maxiuc(m): 7:17am On May 06, 2017
I came here to learn

Car gurus Oya oooo

Make I learn one thing this morning in case I buy my keke

Do keke also have overdrive

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Justuceleague2: 7:25am On May 06, 2017
One is driving over

One Is cruising

grin

Secondary. School. Days dey sweet gaan grin
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by HolyHero: 7:29am On May 06, 2017
O/D over drive... over drives the car

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by tamsel(m): 7:29am On May 06, 2017
In the aspect of low fuel consumption,deactivate the O/D while driving on the high way.Driving with the O/D ON increases fuel consumption.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Nobody: 7:32am On May 06, 2017
I must read the manual of this my range rover vela 2019 model from start to finish even terms and conditions.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by sakalisis(m): 7:37am On May 06, 2017
shocked cool
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by madgoat(m): 7:40am On May 06, 2017
grin
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by mjbaba: 7:42am On May 06, 2017
Ok
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by tolexy123: 7:48am On May 06, 2017
i have not yet seen any sensible contribution. y'all are just contradicting yourself. Talk better jare

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by SillyMods: 8:20am On May 06, 2017
honmusa:

Is OD same as Cruise mode?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Nobody: 8:28am On May 06, 2017
honmusa:

u need to read what u said earlier about overdrive.

I know what I said. I said u don't want to activate o/d on the highway which means u don't want to press the o/d button. Since o/d is turned on by default, activating it (pressing the button) turns o/d off. Got it?

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Sleek85: 8:42am On May 06, 2017
tamsel:
In the aspect of low fuel consumption,deactivate the O/D while driving on the high way.Driving with the O/D ON increases fuel consumption.
You're wrong!
Over drive is specifically made for highways. It doesn't operate at lower engine temperature. Powering it immediately you kick start your car is complete waste of time. So, a car must have run up to 3km before it is due to turn on O/D. It operates with the last gear: not safe to operate it on roads with much barriers like bumps, sharp bends, rough surfaces or steady pot holes. As you turn it on while on speed, you will feel that instant ease in acceleration and it saves much fuel. wink
tamsel:
You're wrong!
Over drive is specifically made for highways. It doesn't operate at lower engine temperature. Powering it immediately you kick start your car is complete waste of time. So, a car must have run up to 3km before it is due to turn on O/D. It operates with the last gear: not safe to operate it on roads with much barriers like bumps, sharp bends, rough surfaces or steady pot holes. As you turn it on while on speed, you will feel that instant ease in acceleration and it saves much fuel.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by honmusa(m): 8:48am On May 06, 2017
greenhulk:

I know what I said. I said u don't want to activate o/d on the highway which means u don't want to press the o/d button. Since o/d is turned on by default, activating it (pressing the button) turns o/d off. Got it?
your statement is misleading .When does that meaning of activating turns to switching off?? .whether O/D is "ON" by default or not ,if you activate a device ,you are simply switching it ""ON "".Nusery 1 student even know this !!!
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by benjamin007: 8:51am On May 06, 2017
Overdrive in Automatic vehicles are extra boost more like Nitro,its being used only when overtaking,when you are done just turn if off otherwise it may damage engine,

Cruise control is setting the car to a particular speed and particular RPM when you set your cruise control for 60kmph and 5000 RPM it will never go past that unless you deactivate

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by honmusa(m): 9:17am On May 06, 2017
SillyMods:
Is OD same as Cruise mode?
No
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Nobody: 9:18am On May 06, 2017
honmusa:
your statement is misleading .When does that meaning of activating turns to switching off?? .whether O/D is "ON" by default or not ,if you activate a device ,you are simply switching it ""ON "".Nusery 1 student even know this !!!

Oga it was a typo. I mean deactivate. Oga English teacher... It is nursery and not nusery.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by honmusa(m): 9:20am On May 06, 2017
greenhulk:

Oga it was a typo. I mean deactivate. Oga English teacher... It is nursery and not nusery.
lol.thanx
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Nobody: 9:23am On May 06, 2017
benjamin007:
Overdrive in Automatic vehicles are extra boost more like Nitro,its being used only when overtaking,when you are done just turn if off otherwise it may damage engine,

Cruise control is setting the car to a particular speed and particular RPM when you set your cruise control for 60kmph and 5000 RPM it will never go past that unless you deactivate

U are wrong about the rpm, cruise control keeps the car at a particular speed but rpm changes in other to maintain that speed. For example if u are cruising at 200km/hr at 2,000 rpm on a level road, when climbing a slope the are will have to adjust the rpm to a higher Ron on other to maintain that speed.
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by Defcon1(m): 9:49am On May 06, 2017
Movingcoil:
I must read the manual of this my range rover vela 2019 model from start to finish even terms and conditions.
Hebrew 11:1
grin
Movingcoil:
Hebrews 11:1
lol
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by simplyhonest(m): 10:17am On May 06, 2017
I never thought of this before... God punish manual transmission...
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by baylord101(m): 10:24am On May 06, 2017
Ujitina:
No big difference
Beware of this guy, avoid his data plan. Cheapest things ain't real. SafeUrMoney

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by diportivo: 10:28am On May 06, 2017
benjamin007:
Overdrive in Automatic vehicles are extra boost more like Nitro,its being used only when overtaking,when you are done just turn if off otherwise it may damage engine

ahn ahn,is it lucozade boost ni

you are soooo wrong my amiable lecturer

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by skedy1(m): 10:29am On May 06, 2017
greenhulk:

Hahahaha...u two making this thread interesting!
Chaii, what a Saturday!
Re: Difference Between Over Drive And Sport Cruising by mike070: 10:32am On May 06, 2017
baylord101:
Beware of this guy, avoid his data plan. Cheapest things ain't real. SafeUrMoney

Yea. Scam alert

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stolen Car: Grey Toyota Camry 1997 Model @ Abule Egba / Toyota Corolla 1999 Fuse Box / Replacement Of A Lexus Is 350 2006 Engine (2GR-FSE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.