Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? (2848 Views)

List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / 16 Ways Of Saying "Hello" Correctly In Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Probz(m): 4:21pm On May 04, 2017
I’m from Anambra State but I have maternal links to Igala so my mum’s side of the family speaks a decent range of Nigerian languages. My mum’s grandma was from Nsukka and she married an Idah man and her daughter (my grandma) married an Awka man. She’s bilingual in Igala and general Northern Igbo (Nsukka and Awka dialects). My mum picked up Yoruba in Lagos and she was born in Kogi during the war so she can understand about a third of Igala. Her sister was born in Borno so she’s bilingual in Igbo and Hausa. My paternal side’s monolingual in Igbo. That’s four languages represented in my family – the main three (Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba) + Igala. Yours?

I've noticed that most people from Awka are a little mixed with Igala and my maternal side's no exception. Not surprising.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by forMom(f): 4:33pm On May 04, 2017
Op this your explanation na agbaka'm ishi

Anyways we speak just
Igbo

Born and bred in pH and
I can't speak ikwerre what a shame!

2 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by AjaanaOka(m): 5:01pm On May 04, 2017
Probz,

You are probably from Umuzocha or Umubele on your mum's side. Those are the two Awka villages with the strongest Igala links. Oh yes, Umudioka, too.

I am from Umuzocha myself. Sometimes we get called 'Ndu Igala' (Igala people) by the other Awka villages. My grandfather and many Umuzocha men of his generation spoke fluent Igala. It doesn't seem that they passed on that knowledge though, because my father and his siblings can't speak it.

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Probz(m): 7:48pm On May 04, 2017
AjaanaOka:
Probz,

You are probably from Umuzocha or Umubele on your mum's side. Those are the two Awka villages with the strongest Igala links. Oh yes, Umudioka, too.

I am from Umuzocha myself. Sometimes we get called 'Ndu Igala' (Igala people) by the other Awka villages. My grandfather and many Umuzocha men of his generation spoke fluent Igala. It doesn't seem that they passed on that knowledge though, because my father and his siblings can't speak it.

Umuzocha's the one, yup.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by AjaanaOka(m): 7:55pm On May 04, 2017
Probz:

Umuzocha's the one, yup.

Your ikwunne is in Umuzocha?

Ngwa, nwadiana gbuo ikpele! grin
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by seunny4lif(m): 9:03pm On May 04, 2017
6 languages.
Igbo, Yoruba, Edo,
German, English
Arabic and Italian cool cool cool
Anyone here
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by bigfrancis21: 2:22am On May 05, 2017
AjaanaOka:

Radoillo nwanne, longest time. Where have you been all these while?
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by bigfrancis21: 2:34am On May 05, 2017
My family is entirely Igbo onn both sides. However just one of my paternal direct cousins married out and he has a wife from the yoruba side of kogi.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Probz(m): 8:23am On May 05, 2017
AjaanaOka:

Ekele m unu ooo cool
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Pavore9: 7:11am On May 06, 2017
Igbo and Yoruba.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by ewa26: 1:48am On Jun 17, 2017
Probz:
I’m from Anambra State but I have maternal links to Igala so my mum’s side of the family speaks a decent range of Nigerian languages. My mum’s grandma was from Nsukka and she married an Idah man and her daughter (my grandma) married an Awka man. She’s bilingual in Igala and general Northern Igbo (Nsukka and Awka dialects). My mum picked up Yoruba in Lagos and she was born in Kogi during the war so she can understand about a third of Igala. Her sister was born in Borno so she’s bilingual in Igbo and Hausa. My paternal side’s monolingual in Igbo. That’s four languages represented in my family – the main three (Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba) + Igala. Yours?

I've noticed that most people from Awka are a little mixed with Igala and my maternal side's no exception. Not surprising.
oh so you want to claim to be Igala because you so ashamed of being onye igbo in apu ala!! well we only speak Ibo in my Ouse ok well when I was living in ogwashi ukwa ok
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Probz(m): 4:39am On Jun 17, 2017
bigfrancis21:
My family is entirely Igbo onn both sides. However just one of my paternal direct cousins married out and he has a wife from the yoruba side of kogi.
I see. Kogi's definitely an interesting state.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by AtaniWarrior: 5:20am On Jun 19, 2017
I am from Atani, Arochukwu. Arochukwu people are Igbos mixed with Ibibio, Efik, and Ekoi. Today, my family only speak Igbo though.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by AtaniWarrior: 8:16pm On Jun 19, 2017
AjaanaOka:
Probz,

That's interesting. My mother's side is from Nri which is right by Awka. Nri people are a mixture of Igbo and Igala ancestry too. My maternal family only speak Igbo today but our ancestors understood and spoke Igala.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Probz(m): 9:03pm On Jun 19, 2017
AtaniWarrior:

That's interesting. My mother's side is from Nri which is right by Awka. Nri people are a mixture of Igbo and Igala ancestry too. My maternal family only speak Igbo today but our ancestors understood and spoke Igala.
I'm from Agukwu Nri too. cool

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by AtaniWarrior: 9:14pm On Jun 19, 2017
Probz:
I'm from Agukwu Nri too. cool
My brethren. I salute you.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Probz(m): 10:05pm On Jun 19, 2017
AtaniWarrior:

My brethren. I salute you.
Agukwu or Akankpisi - what's your side of Nri?
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by AtaniWarrior: 10:35pm On Jun 19, 2017
Probz:
Agukwu or Akankpisi - what's your side of Nri?
My mother is from Agukwu. She is from Obeagu village. You?

1 Like

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Probz(m): 10:41pm On Jun 19, 2017
AtaniWarrior:

Umu Mbe. I've got cousins from Uro Orji.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by agadez007(m): 11:34pm On Jun 19, 2017
Igbo Igbo and Igbo,Dad forbade us from speaking English at home

unu luo na uno a'ukwo unu asuba oyibo ebea he would say cheesy smiley smiley
Villagers always find it hard to believe we live in Lagos,they used to think we were based in Onitsha or anywhere in Igboland cos we spoke conc Igbo grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by AtaniWarrior: 8:27pm On Jun 25, 2017
Probz:
Umu Mbe. I've got cousins from Uro Orji.
Small world.
Re: How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? by Probz(m): 12:02am On Apr 22
AtaniWarrior:

Dad’s side: same Obeagu, umu-mbe clan (paternal grandma from Agulu). Mum’s side: Isiagu-Amikwo, Awka (nee Umuzocha, Awka for her own mum; maternal grandma’s mum from Eha-Ndiagu, Nsukka). For 2 generations of lineage anyway. Core Nri-Awka Anambra Igbo na munwa. Absolutely no-one on this planet can tell me that I’m a fake Igbo, if there even is such a thing (although some people are much more Igbotic than others, no doubt). I was at a hotel in Awka recently and some random guy even asked me if I’m from Amikwo village. Didn’t want to answer that question because I don’t get personal with total strangers in the flesh but he was kinda onto something. Somehow. Maybe have a slight ‘Amikwo look’ about me. I dunno.

Also, I hear what you saying about the whole Umuzocha distin. The thing with my mum’s mum is that she actually had to flee to Idah during the Biafran war so she probably would’ve learnt Igala anyway but the fact that she’s Umuzochan might have had something to do with it. She’s no more (died about 17 years ago) but she spoke Igala as well as Igbo right ’til the end. How much of Umuzocha village actually has Igala heritage?

I used to think that Akankpisi was just the other side of Nri but it turns out that Nri is actually just Agukwu-Nri (for all the offshoots, like Ogwashi-Ukwu and, indeed, Akankpisi, that exist) and Akankpisi is its own village. Is that the truth?

(1) (Reply)

Lets Share Our Proverbs And Their Meanings!! / Can You Tell That My Son Is A Boy? / Full Video: Ooni Of Ife Marry New Rich Wife, This Is Ooni Final Marriage She Say

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.