Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1238097 members, 1649939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 23 April 2014 at 01:26 PM

Difference Between African Americans And Africans? - Ethnic/Racial Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic/Racial Politics / Difference Between African Americans And Africans? (23439 Views)

Treating Europeans, Americans And Australasians Like Monarchs In Naija / Why Do The Americans And Some Whites Call A Mixed Race Person,black? / How Do Africans Really Feel About African Americans ? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by star01(m): 2:32am On Jan 27, 2007
am still bothered with dis issue "should de akatas be reffered 2 as africans or black americans
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Free(f): 9:51pm On Jan 27, 2007
well
lookin back into history
i believe it was africans who were snt to america for slavery
so African americans is right grin grin cheesy
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by star01(m): 2:56am On Jan 28, 2007
but black americans do say we Africans sold dem to de whites in exchange for guns n alcohol is dat true ma bro?,
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Free(f): 3:05am On Jan 28, 2007
am not ur bro *rolls eyes

anywayz well aint dat the truth, some africans sold africans to da white man
for guns n' u name it
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by boyalinco: 2:07pm On Jan 28, 2007
Free:

am not your bro *rolls eyes

lol
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by mamaput(f): 2:13pm On Jan 28, 2007
But we were not the ones that old anyone.
Why blame me for what my great ,great grandfather did.
I was not there.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by star01(m): 3:55am On Jan 29, 2007
u dey roll ur eyes on me hin go commot 4 ur face ni grin angry shocked
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by oyinboaja: 12:39pm On Jan 29, 2007
na wa oh
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by star01(m): 2:06am On Feb 11, 2007
wetin be na wa dere Afin ko ni yo[albino]
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 5:39am On Feb 11, 2007
Star,

It is okay to say Black or African American.

In the West, Black and African have the exact same meaning.

Even in Africa, you are aware that Arabs born on the continent of Africa do not ever really refer to themselves as "Africans", that is the word for those with Black Skin.

So even in Africa, the word Black and African is interchangeable.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 5:45am On Feb 11, 2007
Mamaput,

Think about this. Many slaves were kidnapped not in a group but just as one person captured.

Your great great grandfather may not be the one who sold my great great grandmother into slavery but in fact your great great grandfather may have been the one who grieved as he found out that his wife had been taken by the kidnappers.

There are two types of Continental Africans who exist now.

1. Those who descended from enslavers.
2. Those who had their relatives, friends and other tribal members stolen from them and shipped away.

And if historical documents are correct, most of the enslavers, in fact did not remain in Africa but in fact went and lived out lives in the European Countries that they worked for.

So some of the Blacks you see in the West, in fact could be the enslavers, as much as any Continental African.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by mamaput(f): 11:07am On Feb 11, 2007
Depends on the enslaver.
Was it on a large scale ?
You cannot go all the way to the coast with one slave to sell.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by kobe(m): 11:18am On Feb 11, 2007
The African Americans, or "blacks" as they're called, are descendants of Africa, so it's okay that they're called African Americans, but that's for those among them who are actually African American. unfortunately, miscegenation and diaspora have made it even harder to decipher this situation.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 11:27am On Feb 11, 2007
Depends on the enslaver.
Was it on a large scale ?
You cannot go all the way to the coast with one slave to sell.

Mamaput,

Some of the huge enslavers along the coast, were well known for sending their children to Europe to get educated and then come back for the family business of selling "dark skinned" people. So I assume with a little knowledge that as their business died down, they retired of course in Europe.

And it was not a matter of bringing one slave to a coast but of bringing as many as you capture along the way to the coast. By the time you got to the coast, you might have gangs of them from many different tribes captured.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 11:38am On Feb 11, 2007
The African Americans, or "blacks" as they're called, are descendants of Africa, so it's okay that they're called African Americans, but that's for those among them who are actually African American. unfortunately, miscegenation and diaspora have made it even harder to decipher this situation.

The next big thing happenning is that people no longer want to say the "American" part and just be African.

I love being African American.

I could not bear the idea of African Americans returning to Africa and leaving our anscestors bones in this ground.

So until I can find a solution to that problem. I have to be African American and protect my anscestors graves here.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by kobe(m): 12:03pm On Feb 11, 2007
congratulations, you're closer to your goal of being African.
lolol, syke! no you're not!
you ain't foolin me. you can fool some people some times, but you can't fool all the people all the times - as bob marley would say.
some african blood runs in you, but so does an american blood, you are both african and american so the term african american suits you best.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 12:25pm On Feb 11, 2007
congratulations, you're closer to your goal of being African.
lolol, syke! no you're not!
you ain't foolin me. you can fool some people some times, but you can't fool all the people all the times - as bob marley would say.

Kobe,

I don't have goals of being Black/African. I just am.

Your fooling no one, as Bob Marley --with his white father and black mother would say.

some african blood runs in you, but so does an american blood, you are both african and american so the term african american suits you best.

Well, African blood certainly runs in you. It is running desparately from it's Blackself.

LOL
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by star01(m): 11:17pm On Feb 11, 2007
@ drusilla.10ks dear.but a freind of mine who is an african american said due 2 research dat white re made 4rm blacks.is it posibble?, or its just u no?, enlighten me more pls
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 11:28pm On Feb 11, 2007
Star,

Yes it is true. The whiteman is descended from African Albino's.

I made a whole thread about it.

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-19228.0.html
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Donzman(m): 3:28am On Feb 12, 2007
Even in Africa, you are aware that Arabs born on the continent of Africa do not ever really refer to themselves as "Africans", that is the word for those with Black Skin.

Why do you insist on being silly?. . .I have some Ethiopian/Egyptian/Somalian friends here, they refer to themselves as Africans so I don't know where you get this trash you spew from.

The African Americans, or "blacks" as they're called, are descendants of Africa, so it's okay that they're called African Americans

Most of them are mixed with European blood, why not call them European Americans?. . .What's so special about Europe? Why should every Tom and Harry carry the African label as they please?. . .Geez!
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 3:51am On Feb 12, 2007
Most of them are mixed with European blood, why not call them European Americans?. . .What's so special about Europe? Why should every Tom and Harry carry the African label as they please?. . .Geez!

In the west every person who has been stained with the blood of the savages must be marked by being called by the savages name. African.

Thus Europeans know not to be fooled by their white looks, they know within them lurks the DNA of savages.

That is why the one drop law was invented.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by LiquidMind(m): 3:59am On Feb 12, 2007
What We Need Is More Love
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Donzman(m): 4:05am On Feb 12, 2007
Drusilla:

In the west every person who has been stained with the blood of the savages must be marked by being called by the savages name. African.

Thus Europeans know not to be fooled by their white looks, they know within them lurks the DNA of savages.

That is why the one drop law was invented.

Why then are you this desperate to bear the name of the savages?. . . undecided

We're savages, let us savage, look for a more soothing name for you. smiley
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 4:16am On Feb 12, 2007
Donzman,

I am just sharing with you how this situation came about.

I was just born in this world, I did not make it.

Don't get mad at me, but that is really how we now have blue eyed and blond haired African Americans.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by kobe(m): 6:31am On Feb 12, 2007
drusilla wrote
Kobe,

I don't have goals of being Black/African. I just am.
You're what your country men refer to as African American get it right.

Well, African blood certainly runs in you. It is running desparately from it's Blackself.

LOL
I could easily use that statement against you by saying that "Well, White blood certainly runs in you. It is running desperately away from its white self."

so listen troll. I'll attempt to break this down for you in a lay man's term.
I've told you severally that a racist girl like yourself should not attempt to tell me who I am.
Embrace the other half of your self, then come back and say hello to me.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 6:42am On Feb 12, 2007
You're what your country men refer to as African American get it right.

I've told you severally that a racist girl like yourself should not attempt to tell me who I am.

Kobe?
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Sista(f): 8:12am On Feb 12, 2007
Wasn't this very same topic made several times already in Nairaland?

This Akata shyt is so silly and played out. I don't care what ignorant Nigerians call me. If it makes them happy and it makes them feel like they are more so elevated than I am as an African American, that they have to make up a name for me, let them have that for their self.

Believe you me, I truly do understand how it is to come from a poor place and your brothers and sisters live in a much better place than you, yet they have been so called mixed, something you can use against them to make you feel superior over them. An ignorant Nigerian would like to feel proud about something by considering his or her self as purer, something that doesn't matter when it is time to putting food on the table. The ignorant Nigerian is poor and wants desperately to be in the same position as I the so called akata. It's nothing but jealousy and envy.

Hey Ignorant Nigerian, don't worry your self to death, you won't get to America any faster by putting African Americans down with your made up pet name. Even when you do finally make it to America legally or illegally, you still don't have to put African Americans down to keep whitey proud of you. The thing about America is this, once you get here and start working or going to school, no one is paying attention to the pet names you make up about your own people because the one whitey already gave us is the only one that matters here in America. The only thing white Americans pay attention to when you get here is your work performance and how you kiss their azz. They don't care about what you think about your own people.

No matter how much white azz you kiss, white people will see you Nigerians as the same as African Americans accept they will probably feel more sorry for you.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by babyosisi(f): 10:02pm On Feb 12, 2007
sista,you call white people whitey as slang,we call you akata as slang,same thing.
If you can't take it don't dish it
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 10:06pm On Feb 12, 2007
"Whitey's" refers to Black People, who denounce their own Black Skin.

Whites are just called "ghosts" (the walking dead?).

Smile. LOL
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by toshmann(m): 10:10pm On Feb 12, 2007
hello dru,
is it ur photo that i see in the front page of ur blog cheesy
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by Drusilla(f): 10:15pm On Feb 12, 2007
No, it's the photo of a little black girl in India.
Re: Difference Between African Americans And Africans? by toshmann(m): 10:20pm On Feb 12, 2007
sure i know. i was just kidding. spent a few minutes in ur blog. and also signed ur guest book. good work. cheesy

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) ... (20) (Reply)

Yoruba Group Threatens Revenge Against Boko Haram - And CAN Gives GEJ Ultimatum / Why The Yorubas, Edo, Delta And Bayelsa State Want To Join Benin Republic. / Bianca Ojukwu Was Never Fani-kayode's Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.