Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,723 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge (6944 Views)

Ikpeazu Reconstructing Osisioma Road Aba (Photos) / Oyo State Government Finally Reconstructing Yinka Ayefele’s Music House / Governor Obiano Reconstructing Zik Roundabout Onitsha (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by Nobody: 12:01am On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

but jaja founder opobo...Opobo is a city-state in the southern region of Nigeria. The state was founded in 1870. A greater part of the city state is still referred to as Opobo in Rivers State. Opobo is made up of several Islands and communities, mainly Opobo Town, Queenstown, Kalasunju, Oloma, Ayaminimah, Iloma, Minimah, Okpukpo, Iwoma, Ekereborokiri, Kalaibiama, and Epellema while a part of the city state is now in Akwa Ibom State, made up of Ikot Abasi, Kampa. The main language spoken in Opobo is the Igbo language .[1][2]

Opobo was to the east of the Kingdom of Bonny . Both Bonny and Opobo are of the same origin. An Igbo man (turned Ibani) called Jubo Jubogha (known as "Ja-Ja" to Europeans) led the Anna Pepple house (Wari) of Bonny. In 1870, Jaja arrived in Opobo from Bonny, moving due to a dispute with chief Oko Jumbo , the leader of the rival Manilla Pepple family (Wari). [3] Jaja was accommodated by the Nkoro leader, King Kpokpo[4] and formed what he called "Kingdom of Opobo" which he named after Amanyanabo Opubo "Pepple" Perekule the Great, a Pepple King in Bonny that reigned from 1792 to 1830.
Jubo Jubogha became involved in palm oil trading with Europeans. He started a trading post at Opobo Town, close to Ikot Abasi 4 miles southwest of the Opobo River. The European traders called him King Jaja. Jubo Jubogha was never on good terms with
Ngwa people to the north, Annang and the Ibibio to the east, as Jaja declared himself as the middle-man in palm Oil trading, thus asking them to stop trading directly with the European. This resulted in a war (Ikot Udo Obong War) between Jaja and the Annang and Ibuno people as recorded by Nair .[5] In 1887, he was deceived when he was told to go and negotiate with the Queen of England by the British and sent on exile to Saint Vincent in the
West Indies .

I guess the towns in Opobo is visible to you.
Do they sound Ibo to you?
Do you know the meaning of Amanyanabo?
Do you know what the ama at the end of the name of those places mentioned mean?
I believe Wikipedia didn't tell you all these.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by Nobody: 12:13am On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

but jaja founder opobo...Opobo is a city-state in the southern region of Nigeria. The state was founded in 1870. A greater part of the city state is still referred to as Opobo in Rivers State. Opobo is made up of several Islands and communities, mainly Opobo Town, Queenstown, Kalasunju, Oloma, Ayaminimah, Iloma, Minimah, Okpukpo, Iwoma, Ekereborokiri, Kalaibiama, and Epellema while a part of the city state is now in Akwa Ibom State, made up of Ikot Abasi, Kampa. The main language spoken in Opobo is the Igbo language .[1][2]

Opobo was to the east of the Kingdom of Bonny . Both Bonny and Opobo are of the same origin. An Igbo man (turned Ibani) called Jubo Jubogha (known as "Ja-Ja" to Europeans) led the Anna Pepple house (Wari) of Bonny. In 1870, Jaja arrived in Opobo from Bonny, moving due to a dispute with chief Oko Jumbo , the leader of the rival Manilla Pepple family (Wari). [3] Jaja was accommodated by the Nkoro leader, King Kpokpo[4] and formed what he called "Kingdom of Opobo" which he named after Amanyanabo Opubo "Pepple" Perekule the Great, a Pepple King in Bonny that reigned from 1792 to 1830.
Jubo Jubogha became involved in palm oil trading with Europeans. He started a trading post at Opobo Town, close to Ikot Abasi 4 miles southwest of the Opobo River. The European traders called him King Jaja. Jubo Jubogha was never on good terms with
Ngwa people to the north, Annang and the Ibibio to the east, as Jaja declared himself as the middle-man in palm Oil trading, thus asking them to stop trading directly with the European. This resulted in a war (Ikot Udo Obong War) between Jaja and the Annang and Ibuno people as recorded by Nair .[5] In 1887, he was deceived when he was told to go and negotiate with the Queen of England by the British and sent on exile to Saint Vincent in the
West Indies .

To further quote your post because I know Igbos don't read between the lines.

"Igbo man (turned Ibani) called Jubo Jubogha (known as "Ja-Ja" to Europeans) led the Anna Pepple house (Wari) of Bonny"

This is to further prove my point that the Ibanis(Bonny and Opobo) are not Ibos.
Jaja himself had to become an Ibani(Ijaw) man for him to be accepted.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 12:25am On May 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

To further quote your post because I know Igbos don't read between the lines.

"Igbo man (turned Ibani) called Jubo Jubogha (known as "Ja-Ja" to Europeans) led the Anna Pepple house (Wari) of Bonny"

This is to further prove my point that the Ibanis(Bonny and Opobo) are not Ibos.
Jaja himself had to become an Ibani(Ijaw) man for him to be accepted.

So...Will that destroy his Igbo lineage...He was born IBO so he will remain Igbo... Why do they speak Igbo in opobo and why do the Royal house answer Igbo names..??

2 Likes

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by Nobody: 5:51am On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

So...Will that destroy his Igbo lineage...He was born IBO so he will remain Igbo... Why do they speak Igbo in opobo and why do the Royal house answer Igbo names..??

Please give me the royal house with Ibo name lipsrsealed

His Majesty, King (Dr.) Dandeson Douglas Jaja, Jeki V, Treaty King, Amanyababo and Natural Ruler of Opobo Kingdom now has an Igbo name?

Wonders shall never end.
Whoever or whatever you are, just delete yourself from nairaland because you are not wort being here.
Your level of ignorance is just too appalling.
Damn!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by Ikeg: 6:00am On May 07, 2017
Dude as an Igbo SS, I keep telling all you SE igbos, ijaws, Itsekiri, urhobo, isoko, Benin, Ishan, etc are tribes you shouldn't try to befriend AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For one I don't even get why SE igbos still wants to connect with ijaw. Have you people even read your history? Have you sat down and actually READ your history? The Ijaw for one have been parasitic towards igbo especially towards SE. The ijaws stole igbo lands that used to be SE, marginalizing the Bleep out of the people in the lands they stole...in addition, they were the ones responsible for abandoned property. No other tribe in modern day rivers participated. Even if you don't want to look at your history, look at their interactions with other tribes residing next to them. Their continous fighting with other tribes next to them should make you learn to avoid those things.

As for the others, they continously attempt to rewrite my area history makes me wary of any group that came from benin dynasty.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by Ikeg: 6:04am On May 07, 2017
Amarabae:

this comment betrays you! you are an impostor and not from south south, no south southner will reject the relocation of olc headquaters to niger delta.
shame for denying your tribe and geopolitical zone.

Bandtura is YORUBA.
He got exposed a month ago. The guy is just too shameless to stop his pitiful attachment even after getting himself exposed

The dude claims urhobo but when a urhobo asked him for his lga, he couldn't answer the guy. His reply to the guy was "you're not more Deltan than me."
When a urhobo wrote urhobo, he had absolutely no clue what was wrotten. Ironically, he wrote in yoruba.

5 Likes

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by Ikeg: 6:25am On May 07, 2017
ocelot2006:

Why us Akwa Ibomites and Cross Riverians into another Biafran issue? For the love of God WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN BIAFRA and a referendum will prove just that. As a matter of fact I dared Biafran proponents to stage a demonstration on the streets of Uyo and Calabar to test their popularity or the people's support for "Biafra". That challenge still stands.

Seriously this by-force attachment to the SS ought to be an embarrassment to Biafran supporters. If you want to agitate for Biafra, that's alright, BUT:

1) Restrict it to the South East
2) LEAVE THE SS OUT OF IT. We will decide our own destiny, NOT YOU!

You know what I try my best to allow some of una display your ignorance on this forum but the fact you attacked someone for having a different opinion of you, I decided to show you out.

One we all know you are a politician's servant, a PDP rat, but just cause you feed off the masses like a vampire does not mean you know what's occurring.

Incase you aren't aware, outside of IPOB, there is another biafran group by the name of "Biafra Nations Youth League". Two of the prominent leaders of the group are both Akwa Ibom aka Mmeyene Etim and Bassey Asuquo
In addition, unlike IPOB, this group met with Akwa Ibom elders and even kings because they were summoned by them.
Ironically enough, the people that reported it was your own people
https://calabarreporters.com/658/akwa-cross-elders-meets-with-leader-of
In addition, the person that reported what was said was someone from the Akwa ibom. There is more but I'm going to stop here, I suggest get with wtf is going on in reality.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 8:05am On May 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

His Majesty, King (Dr.) Dandeson Douglas Jaja, Jeki V, Treaty King, Amanyababo and Natural Ruler of Opobo Kingdom now has an Igbo name?

Wonders shall never end.
Whoever or whatever you are just delete yourself from nairaland because you are not wort being here.
Damn!
No house in opobo bears ibo name, its just ipob people dat keep repeating dis nonsense, they should be worried about Arochuku people dat speak ibibio fluently andd bear ibibio surnames

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 8:11am On May 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

It's obvious you are a kid for believing Wikipedia 100%.
I know your kind don't know that with as little as 5 dollars you can write anything on Wikipedia.
Very pathetic angry
U don't even need five dollars, its editable by anyone, its not a verifiable source, leave them to their folly. Opobo and Bonny are both Ibani Ijaw kingdoms with Ibani Ijaw language still alive, the current vice president of the Ijaw youth council is from Opobo, popular Ijaw activist Tony Uranta is from Opobo, so live them to their Wikipedia stories

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 8:14am On May 07, 2017
Ikeg:
Dude as an Igbo SS, I keep telling all you SE igbos, ijaws, Itsekiri, urhobo, isoko, Benin, Ishan, etc are tribes you shouldn't try to befriend AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For one I don't even get why SE igbos still wants to connect with ijaw. Have you people even read your history? Have you sat down and actually READ your history? The Ijaw for one have been parasitic towards igbo especially towards SE. The ijaws stole igbo lands that used to be SE, marginalizing the Bleep out of the people in the lands they stole...in addition, they were the ones responsible for abandoned property. No other tribe in modern day rivers participated. Even if you don't want to look at your history, look at their interactions with other tribes residing next to them. Their continous fighting with other tribes next to them should make you learn to avoid those things.

As for the others, they continously attempt to rewrite my area history makes me wary of any group that came from benin dynasty.
Here is why because eboes are leeches, they are everything you accused Ijaws of cheruv, ikechu

2 Likes

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by Nobody: 8:33am On May 07, 2017
nengibo:

No house in opobo bears ibo name, its just ipob people dat keep repeating dis nonsense, they should be worried about Arochuku people dat speak ibibio fluently andd bear ibibio surnames

They are always myopic to the influence of Ibibio in Arochukwu.
But the good thing about the Ibibio people is that they don't go claiming lands that's not theirs unlike the self proclaimed developers of Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 8:38am On May 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

But the good thing about the Ibibio people is that they don't go claiming lands that's not theirs unlike the self proclaimed developers of Nigeria.
It's due to their high level of illiteracy, ibibio people are hardworking & hospitable people dey are not as jobless as these bush people, one thing I'm sure is dat all Nigerians know them, from Benin to Delta from Rivers to Sokoto, nobody is blind to their intentions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 8:50am On May 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

arochuku people even worship ibibio deities and adopted their writing system

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ocelot2006(m): 12:51pm On May 07, 2017
Ikeg:

You know what I try my best to allow some of una display your ignorance on this forum but the fact you attacked someone for having a different opinion of you, I decided to show you out.

One we all know you are a politician's servant, a PDP rat, but just cause you feed off the masses like a vampire does not mean you know what's occurring.

Incase you aren't aware, outside of IPOB, there is another biafran group by the name of "Biafra Nations Youth League". Two of the prominent leaders of the group are both Akwa Ibom aka Mmeyene Etim and Bassey Asuquo
In addition, unlike IPOB, this group met with Akwa Ibom elders and even kings because they were summoned by them.
Ironically enough, the people that reported it was your own people
https://calabarreporters.com/658/akwa-cross-elders-meets-with-leader-of
In addition, the person that reported what was said was someone from the Akwa ibom. There is more but I'm going to stop here, I suggest get with wtf is going on in reality.

Aaaand that "automatically" indicates that Akwa Ibom and Cross River will blindly follow the "Biafran" pipedream? Bros, you're the one that has his head buried in the sand like an ostrich in a bid to block out the actual realities in our society. You know what, I think a referendum ought to be carried in these states. It will certainly put an end to these funny claims of yours. An average Akwa Ibom man normally a bit suspicious of an Igbo man; you really think he'll be so quick to throw his support behind Biafra?

Once again, I suggest you keep your Biafran agitation to South Eastern states.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 1:43pm On May 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

Wonders shall never end.
Whoever or whatever you are, just delete yourself from nairaland because you are not wort being here.
Damn!

Do the royal house speak opobo or not...You ijaws like claiming other people land...Is it ijaw that the royal house speaks or Igbo...

You just need to hear them speak. The people of Opobo and Bonny all speak one native language - Igbo. No other language whatsoever do they speak in addition. Neighbouring towns surrounding Bonny may still speak Ibani but Bonny town proper speaks pure Igbo. The first Igbo bible was written in Bonny Igbo, and the dialect is notable for saying, 'ike m' for 'me' which funny enough means 'my buttocks' in other Igbo dialects and 'ike gi' for 'you/yours' which means 'your buttocks' in other Igbo dialects. Chinua Achebe, in one of his books, had written about a funny Igbo christian interpreter from a distant land to his town who was known for saying, 'ike m' and 'ie gi', which confused the people of his village. Many of these people, though, bear 'Ibani' names such as Fiberesima etc. they barely know the meaning of in addition to Igbo names as well. They all practise Igbo customs, namely 'omugwo', and celebrate Igbo festivals they share in common with their Ndoki Igbo neighbours such as the Nwaotam festival. However, their dressing style is Rivers/Riverine style.

Also, parts of Okirika in Rivers state are also Igbo-speaking. Hilda Dokubo Mrakpor, the Nollywood actress, is a Rivers state indigene from Ogu-Bolo LGA who speaks fluent Igbo. Patience Jonathan is an Okirika woman who speaks Igbo as native language.

Ignore many things you read on nairaland. People just come on here to create false impressions about certain realities. All you need to do is visit these towns to verify for yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 1:52pm On May 07, 2017
nengibo:

Shut up!!!my dad sister married someone from arochukwu...People from arochukwu do not I repeat do not worship Ibibio gods...The people from arochukwu drove the ibibios away when they had a war during ancient times...You ijaws are noting but fillthy land grabbers if its not the land of the urhobos you are trying to grab it will be the land llleges...you guys have fought with illajes,,ikweres,, itesekiris,,urhobos,,

Country Nigeria
State Abia State
Composition 19 villages
Government
• Type Monarchy (One of the few kingdoms in Nigeria, which practices the monarchical system of government)
• Eze Aro Ogbonnaya Okoro[1]
Area
• Total 202 sq mi (524 km2)
Population
• Ethnicities Ibibio, Akpa
• Religions Christianity, Traditional religions
3-digit postal code prefix 442
ISO 3166 code NG.AB.AR
Arochukwu, sometimes referred to as Arochuku, or Aro-Okigbo, (pronounced Aruchukwu) is the third largest city in Abia State (after Aba and Umuahia) in southeastern Nigeria and homeland of the Igbo subgroup, Aro people. It is composed of 19 villages with an overall leader called Obong Aro. Arochukwu is a principal historic town in Ibibio land. It was also one of the cities in the Southern protectorate targeted by the British colonial government. Several historic tourist sites exist in the city. The mystic Ibini Ukpabi shrine, the slave routes and other relics of the slave trade era are frequently visited by tourists. It is also in the food belt of Abia state where most of the staple foods are produced.

History Edit

Main article: Aro History
Arochukwu is believed to have been the homeland of the Ibibio as they arrived in 300 AD from the Benue valley and founded early states like Obong Okon Ita and Ibom. Many years passed as Igbo immigrants came along and pressed into the Ibibio occupied territory and founded several states. The first Igbo group were the Ezeagwu group from Abiriba led by their leader Agwu Inobia. As Aro-Ibibio wars occurred, there was a stalemate. In reaction, the Eze Agwu clan invited a priest named Nnachi from the Edda clan of northeastern Igboland and another group from the east of the Cross River through Nnachi. These people were identified as the Akpa people. Akpa forces led by Osim and Akuma Nnubi, they helped the Igbo forces capture the rest of the area. This formed the alliance of 19 new and old states in the area known as the Arochukwu kingdom around 1650-1700. The first king (or Eze Aro) of a unified Arochukwu was Akuma but after his death, Nnachi son's Oke Nnachi took over and his descendants have the throne to this day.

By the mid-18th century, there were mass migrations of several Aro business families into the Igbo hinterland and adjacent areas. This migration, influence of their god Ibini Ukpabi through priests, and their military power backed up by alliances with several related neighboring Igbo and eastern Cross River militarized states (particularly Ohafia, Abam, Abiriba, Afikpo, Ekoi, etc.) quickly established the Aro Confederacy as a regional economic power. However, Aro economic hegemony was threatened by the penetration of Europeans, mainly British colonists in the wake of the 20th century. Tensions finally led to bloodshed and the Anglo-Aro War took place from 1901-1902. The Aro Confederacy stoutly resisted but were eventually defeated. This helped the British to occupy the rest of what is now known as Eastern Nigeria.

People of Arochukwu founded many other communities both within and outside Igboland.[2][3]

Arochukwu played a significant role in the trans-Atlantic slave trade of the 1600-1800 AD. The Aro confederacy (Aro slave traders) scattered throughout the hinterlands of the Igbo nation, orchestrated the sale of over 4 million Igbo sons and daughters during the transatlantic slave trade. Many Igbo slaves who were shipped from the slave outposts in Calabar and Bonny to Europe and the Americas, were first assembled in Arochukwu,and then transported to Calabar or Bonny via the Aro Blue River which pours into the Atlantic Ocean. Most Igbo slaves were shipped to North Carolina and Virginia, in the United States. Igbo slaves were also shipped to the Caribbean Islands of Jamaica, Haiti, and Cuba.

Why do the people of opobo speak Igbo and not ijawGive an answer or shut up your month for ever..
Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 1:54pm On May 07, 2017
ocelot2006:

Aaaand that "automatically" indicates that Akwa Ibom and Cross River will blindly follow the "Biafran" pipedream? Bros, you're the one that has his head buried in the sand like an ostrich in a bid to block out the actual realities in our society. You know what, I think a referendum ought to be carried in these states. It will certainly put an end to these funny claims of yours. An average Akwa Ibom man normally a bit suspicious of an Igbo man; you really think he'll be so quick to throw his support behind Biafra?

Once again, I suggest you keep your Biafran agitation to South Eastern states.

Land grabber... The ikweres,,aniomas,,ikas,,etche,,ndoki are going to follow our south Eastern bethren...Nobody will stop us.
Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 1:58pm On May 07, 2017
nengibo:

Which writing system..see shut up your trash called a mouth...thats how you ijaws spread lies online..

Nsibidi
Nsibidi autonym.svg
A symbol simply described as "Nsibidi name written" by Elphinstone Dayrell in 1911.[1]
Type
Ideographic with pictographic and perhaps logographic elements
Languages Igbo, Ekoid, Efik/Ibibio/Annang.
Time period
pre–15th century – present
Parent systems
Nsibidi (see also Proto-writing)
Nsibidi
Child systems
anaforuana (Cuba), veve (Haiti)
Nsibidi (also known as nsibiri,[2] nchibiddi or nchibiddy[3]) is a system of symbols indigenous to what is now southeastern Nigeria that is apparently an ideographic script, though there have been suggestions that it includes logographic elements.[4] The symbols are at least several centuries old—early forms appeared on excavated pottery as well as what are most likely ceramic stools and headrests from the Calabar region, with a range of dates from 400 to 1400 CE.[5][6]

There are thousands of nsibidi symbols, of which over 500 have been recorded. They were once taught in a school to children.[7] Many of the signs deal with love affairs; those that deal with warfare and the sacred are kept secret.[7] Nsibidi is used on wall designs, calabashes, metals (such as bronze), leaves, swords, and tattoos.[2][8] It is primarily used by the Ekpe leopard secret society (also known as Ngbe or Egbo), which is found across Cross River among the Ekoi, Efik, Igbo people, and other nearby peoples.

Outside knowledge of nsibidi came in 1904 when T. D. Maxwell noticed the symbols.[4] Before the British colonisation of the area, nsibidi was divided into a sacred version and a public, more decorative version which could be used by women.[8] Aspects of colonisation such as Western education and Christian doctrine drastically reduced the number of nsibidi-literate people, leaving the secret society members as some of the last literate in the symbols.[9] Nsibidi was and is still a means of transmitting Ekpe symbolism. Nsibidi was transported to Cuba and Haiti via the Atlantic slave trade, where it developed into the anaforuana and veve symbols.[10][11]

Nsibidi -wikipedia

https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsibidi&ved=0ahUKEwiKlMOz6t3TAhVICMAKHS1CA24QFggnMAA&usg=AFQjCNGobwWIH2JFWcTYgH4e5kN_UTj0ow

1 Like

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 2:04pm On May 07, 2017
nengibo:

It's due to their high level of illiteracy, ibibio people are hardworking & hospitable people dey are not as jobless as these bush people, one thing I'm sure is dat all Nigerians know them, from Benin to Delta from Rivers to Sokoto, nobody is blind to their intentions.
So you are even trying to say the aniomas,ikas in delta are not Igbo's....when you know the governor of delta is a Igbo man ifeanyi okowa..You ijaws are parisitic land grabbers...Even asaba is not an igbo town abi...Even tho ezeogwu Kaduna is from asaba...The Igbo's of oyibo axis of rivers arent Igbo's abi...the etches,,ndokis aren't Igbo's this is the reason we shall continue to rule the minute ijaw populace in rivers all of you can go to bayelsa..

Even tho its the ottams people that founded opobo..The Ottams were the aborigines of Opobo, they were Igbos.

The Nwaotam cult emerged from the deity of ancient Ibani people called the Ottam people. These people were brought in mostly to satisfy the Europeans’ quest for human commodities in the 18th and 19th century.

According to the memories of late captain High Crow of Liverpool (1791: P 201) who visited Bonny for trade, “the Ottam tribe are stout and robust and of a deeper black than any other tribes at Bonny. Their bodies and face are carved and tattooed in a frightful manner.”

The Ottams were not only notable for the worship of spirits they called ‘Mmoh’; but were also brought into Bonny as adults, therefore the description ‘Ottam Mmku’ was made popular in Bonny. It was also in this line, that their working strength, tribal marks and rascality gave them another local phrase, Ottam Ahiriha.

The Ibani tradition has it that the Nwa-Otam originated from a dark mythical grove in Mkpajekiri around Ohambele Ndoki. By this time, the Ndoki native, which included the Ottam tribes men, had started serving this ‘Mmoh’ gods believed to be heterosexual; and would organise dance during a season of the year. [/b]
http://www.opobiansindiaspora.org/opobo--culture.html
Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 2:04pm On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

Shut up!!!my dad sister married someone from arochukwu...People from arochukwu do not I repeat do not worship Ibibio gods...The people from arochukwu drove the ibibios away when they had a war during ancient times...You ijaws are noting but fillthy land grabbers if its not the land of the urhobos you are trying to grab it will be the land llleges...you guys have fought with illajes,,ikweres,, itesekiris,,urhobos,,

Country Nigeria
State Abia State
Composition 19 villages
Government
• Type Monarchy (One of the few kingdoms in Nigeria, which practices the monarchical system of government)
• Eze Aro Ogbonnaya Okoro[1]
Area
• Total 202 sq mi (524 km2)
Population
Ethnicities Ibibio, Akpa
• Religions Christianity, Traditional religions
3-digit postal code prefix 442
ISO 3166 code NG.AB.AR
Arochukwu, sometimes referred to as Arochuku, or Aro-Okigbo, (pronounced Aruchukwu) is the third largest city in Abia State (after Aba and Umuahia) in southeastern Nigeria and homeland of the Igbo subgroup, Aro people. It is composed of 19 villages with an overall leader called Obong Aro. Arochukwu is a principal historic town in Ibibio land. It was also one of the cities in the Southern protectorate targeted by the British colonial government. Several historic tourist sites exist in the city. The mystic Ibini Ukpabi shrine, the slave routes and other relics of the slave trade era are frequently visited by tourists. It is also in the food belt of Abia state where most of the staple foods are produced.

History Edit

Main article: Aro History
Arochukwu is believed to have been the homeland of the Ibibio as they arrived in 300 AD from the Benue valley and founded early states like Obong Okon Ita and Ibom. Many years passed as Igbo immigrants came along and pressed into the Ibibio occupied territory and founded several states. The first Igbo group were the Ezeagwu group from Abiriba led by their leader Agwu Inobia. As Aro-Ibibio wars occurred, there was a stalemate. In reaction, the Eze Agwu clan invited a priest named Nnachi from the Edda clan of northeastern Igboland and another group from the east of the Cross River through Nnachi. These people were identified as the Akpa people. Akpa forces led by Osim and Akuma Nnubi, they helped the Igbo forces capture the rest of the area. This formed the alliance of 19 new and old states in the area known as the Arochukwu kingdom around 1650-1700. The first king (or Eze Aro) of a unified Arochukwu was Akuma but after his death, Nnachi son's Oke Nnachi took over and his descendants have the throne to this day.

By the mid-18th century, there were mass migrations of several Aro business families into the Igbo hinterland and adjacent areas. This migration, influence of their god Ibini Ukpabi through priests, and their military power backed up by alliances with several related neighboring Igbo and eastern Cross River militarized states (particularly Ohafia, Abam, Abiriba, Afikpo, Ekoi, etc.) quickly established the Aro Confederacy as a regional economic power. However, Aro economic hegemony was threatened by the penetration of Europeans, mainly British colonists in the wake of the 20th century. Tensions finally led to bloodshed and the Anglo-Aro War took place from 1901-1902. The Aro Confederacy stoutly resisted but were eventually defeated. This helped the British to occupy the rest of what is now known as Eastern Nigeria.

People of Arochukwu founded many other communities both within and outside Igboland.[2][3]

Arochukwu played a significant role in the trans-Atlantic slave trade of the 1600-1800 AD. The Aro confederacy (Aro slave traders) scattered throughout the hinterlands of the Igbo nation, orchestrated the sale of over 4 million Igbo sons and daughters during the transatlantic slave trade. Many Igbo slaves who were shipped from the slave outposts in Calabar and Bonny to Europe and the Americas, were first assembled in Arochukwu,and then transported to Calabar or Bonny via the Aro Blue River which pours into the Atlantic Ocean. Most Igbo slaves were shipped to North Carolina and Virginia, in the United States. Igbo slaves were also shipped to the Caribbean Islands of Jamaica, Haiti, and Cuba.

Why do the people of opobo speak Igbo and not ijawGive an answer or shut up your month for ever..
I can see u are pained, if tears will allow u answer these questions
Can't you see the ethnicity?
What do arochuku people call God & why does every Aro citizen speak and understand ibibio fluently, why do they worship ibibio deities, why do they bear ibibio names, why did the ibibio language survive even though the natives are forced to learn igbo in the school simple because the ibibio identity is too strong

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 2:06pm On May 07, 2017
Ekinematics:

t is obvious that from the above historical narration that the Ottams were Igbos of Ndoki extraction, and that the only way Ijaws can lay claim to historical occupation of Opobo is by claiming the Ndoki as an Ijaw group.

And this they have been doing, albeit unsuccessfully.

Cos the Ndokis for all terms and purposes are essentially Igbo people that descended from the Ngwa group.

You don't know the areas of arochukwu...That town was founded by ibibios before Igbo's drove them away when they had a war but till this day ibibios Igbo's have been living in peace..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 2:09pm On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

So you are even trying to say the aniomas,ikas in delta are not Igbo's....when you know the governor of delta is a Igbo man ifeanyi okowa..You ijaws are parisitic land grabbers...Even asaba is not an igbo town abi...Even tho ezeogwu Kaduna is from asaba...The Igbo's of oyibo axis of rivers arent Igbo's abi...the etches,,ndokis aren't Igbo's this is the reason we shall continue to rule the minute ijaw populace in rivers all of you can go to bayelsa..

Even tho its the ottams people that founded opobo..The Ottams were the aborigines of Opobo, they were Igbos.

The Nwaotam cult emerged from the deity of ancient Ibani people called the Ottam people. These people were brought in mostly to satisfy the Europeans’ quest for human commodities in the 18th and 19th century.

According to the memories of late captain High Crow of Liverpool (1791: P 201) who visited Bonny for trade, “the Ottam tribe are stout and robust and of a deeper black than any other tribes at Bonny. Their bodies and face are carved and tattooed in a frightful manner.”

The Ottams were not only notable for the worship of spirits they called ‘Mmoh’; but were also brought into Bonny as adults, therefore the description ‘Ottam Mmku’ was made popular in Bonny. It was also in this line, that their working strength, tribal marks and rascality gave them another local phrase, Ottam Ahiriha.

The Ibani tradition has it that the Nwa-Otam originated from a dark mythical grove in Mkpajekiri around Ohambele Ndoki. By this time, the Ndoki native, which included the Ottam tribes men, had started serving this ‘Mmoh’ gods believed to be heterosexual; and would organise dance during a season of the year. [/b]
http://www.opobiansindiaspora.org/opobo--culture.html
Stop quoting me with links that are not working, there were no ottam natives in Opobo, there were only Obolo Ijaw or Idoni apu present at the current site of Opobo, now run along ifenyi ademola

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 2:10pm On May 07, 2017
nengibo:

U don't even need five dollars, its editable by anyone, its not a verifiable source, leave them to their folly. Opobo and Bonny are both Ibani Ijaw kingdoms with Ibani Ijaw language still alive, the current vice president of the Ijaw youth council is from Opobo, popular Ijaw activist Tony Uranta is from Opobo, so live them to their Wikipedia stories

should be on record that the indigenous people of opobo and bonny are Ibani ijaw people and not Igbos

This is history revisionism. Before Jaja, another Igbo man led his band of Igbo slaves and Ijaw followers to Opobo from Bonny. The Ottams were already established in Opobo.

They were the aborigines of Opobo, and they were Ndokis of Igboland.

This is why Igbo language, and not Ijaw, remain the native language of Opobo.
Let that sink in.

The only way Opobo and Bonny gets to be an Ijaw kingdom, is if Ndokis become Ijaws. But like we have established, Ndokis remain ever proudly Igbo, and see Opobo and Bonny as their long lost brothers.

Opobo of today is a hybrid of Igbo, Ijaw and Ibibio people. But Igbos( Ottams) were the first to move in there.

The Ijaw expansionist plans to tie the heavy Igbo presence in Opobo and Bonny to Slavery is also part of their historical revisionism.

Opobo and Bonny people might be riverine in outlook today, but that is no impetus to tamper with history

The UmuOtam people of bonny and opobo are Igbos and nothing would change that.
I urge Igbos to support those people in their quest to maintain their identity as Igbos cool
Keep deceiving yourselves. After the Ijaws in Opobo failed attempt to dispose opobo off the tight fists of Jaja and his descendants, who are Igbos and owners of the kingdom citing useless and non existing minimah agreement.

You would think the Jajas don't know your agenda by now.
http://news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/2003/jun/11/004.html

“Opobo is not a traditional town as we know it. It is a Settlement founded by King Jaja, and remains his estate and that of his descendants”
This is enough...Ijaw land grabbers always trying to rewrite history but thank god for the internet..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 2:15pm On May 07, 2017
nengibo:

Stop quoting me with links that are not working, there were no ottam natives in Opobo, there were only Obolo Ijaw or Idoni apu present at the current site of Opobo, now run along ifenyi ademola
Don't run away you won't rewrite there history..

You just need to hear them speak. The people of Opobo and Bonny all speak one native language - Igbo. No other language whatsoever do they speak in addition. Neighbouring towns surrounding Bonny may still speak Ibani but Bonny town proper speaks pure Igbo. The first Igbo bible was written in Bonny Igbo, and the dialect is notable for saying, 'ike m' for 'me' which funny enough means 'my buttocks' in other Igbo dialects and 'ike gi' for 'you/yours' which means 'your buttocks' in other Igbo dialects. Chinua Achebe, in one of his books, had written about a funny Igbo christian interpreter from a distant land to his town who was known for saying, 'ike m' and 'ie gi', which confused the people of his village. I guess he was referring to an Igbo interpreter from Bonny. Many of these people, though, bear 'Ibani' names such as Fiberesima etc. they barely know the meaning of in addition to Igbo names as well. They all practise Igbo customs, namely 'omugwo', and celebrate Igbo festivals they share in common with their Ndoki Igbo neighbours such as the Nwaotam festival. However, their dressing style is Rivers/Riverine style.

Also, parts of Okirika in Rivers state are also Igbo-speaking. Hilda Dokubo Mrakpor, the Nollywood actress, is a Rivers state indigene from Ogu-Bolo LGA who speaks fluent Igbo. Patience Jonathan is an Okirika woman who speaks Igbo as native language.

Ignore many things you read on nairaland. People just come on here to create false impressions about certain realities. All you need to do is visit these towns to verify for yourself.

That's how you said the ibibios are influcing arochukwu not knowing they founder arochukwu before they were driven out years back during awar with Igbo's..Liar

1 Like

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 2:19pm On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

should be on record that the indigenous people of opobo and bonny are Ibani ijaw people and not Igbos

This is history revisionism. Before Jaja, another Igbo man led his band of Igbo slaves and Ijaw followers to Opobo from Bonny. The Ottams were already established in Opobo.

They were the aborigines of Opobo, and they were Ndokis of Igboland.

This is why Igbo language, and not Ijaw, remain the native language of Opobo.
Let that sink in.

The only way Opobo and Bonny gets to be an Ijaw kingdom, is if Ndokis become Ijaws. But like we have established, Ndokis remain ever proudly Igbo, and see Opobo and Bonny as their long lost brothers.

Opobo of today is a hybrid of Igbo, Ijaw and Ibibio people. But Igbos( Ottams) were the first to move in there.

The Ijaw expansionist plans to tie the heavy Igbo presence in Opobo and Bonny to Slavery is also part of their historical revisionism.

Opobo and Bonny people might be riverine in outlook today, but that is no impetus to tamper with history

The UmuOtam people of bonny and opobo are Igbos and nothing would change that.
I urge Igbos to support those people in their quest to maintain their identity as Igbos cool
Keep deceiving yourselves. After the Ijaws in Opobo failed attempt to dispose opobo off the tight fists of Jaja and his descendants, who are Igbos and owners of the kingdom citing useless and non existing minimah agreement.

You would think the Jajas don't know your agenda by now.
http://news.biafranigeriaworld.com/archive/2003/jun/11/004.html

“Opobo is not a traditional town as we know it. It is a Settlement founded by King Jaja, and remains his estate and that of his descendants”
This is enough...Ijaw land grabbers always trying to rewrite history but thank god for the internet..
Lol you are an idiot oh, maybe its also the internet that crowned the Amanyanaapu , alapu & seniapu in all these kingdoms, it is the internet that created Ibani language, it is also the internet that made Opobo to be named after king Opubo, it is also the internet that named all the communities & families with Ibani Ijaw names, its also the internet that made the deities Sirimingi, Ikuba, Tolofari etc Ijaw, run along now illiterate, I jusr came back from church, I don't want to insult you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 2:23pm On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

Don't run away you won't rewrite there history..

You just need to hear them speak. The people of Opobo and Bonny all speak one native language - Igbo. No other language whatsoever do they speak in addition. Neighbouring towns surrounding Bonny may still speak Ibani but Bonny town proper speaks pure Igbo. The first Igbo bible was written in Bonny Igbo, and the dialect is notable for saying, 'ike m' for 'me' which funny enough means 'my buttocks' in other Igbo dialects and 'ike gi' for 'you/yours' which means 'your buttocks' in other Igbo dialects. Chinua Achebe, in one of his books, had written about a funny Igbo christian interpreter from a distant land to his town who was known for saying, 'ike m' and 'ie gi', which confused the people of his village. I guess he was referring to an Igbo interpreter from Bonny. Many of these people, though, bear 'Ibani' names such as Fiberesima etc. they barely know the meaning of in addition to Igbo names as well. They all practise Igbo customs, namely 'omugwo', and celebrate Igbo festivals they share in common with their Ndoki Igbo neighbours such as the Nwaotam festival. However, their dressing style is Rivers/Riverine style.

That's how you said the ibibios are influcing arochukwu not knowing they founder arochukwu before they were driven out years back during awar with Igbo's..Liar
U quoted a Wikipedia article that showed arochuku ppl are Ibibio, so whay are you still arguing about

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by nengibo: 2:26pm On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

t is obvious that from the above historical narration that the Ottams were Igbos of Ndoki extraction, and that the only way Ijaws can lay claim to historical occupation of Opobo is by claiming the Ndoki as an Ijaw group.

And this they have been doing, albeit unsuccessfully.

Cos the Ndokis for all terms and purposes are essentially Igbo people that descended from the Ngwa group.

You don't know the areas of arochukwu...That town was founded by ibibios before Igbo's drove them away when they had a war but till this day ibibios Igbo's have been living in peace..
Lol Ndoki descended from Ngwa, now are know you are joking. Nairaland has given mad men like u a platform to spew nonsense

1 Like

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 2:27pm On May 07, 2017
nengibo:

I can see u are pained, if tears will allow u answer these questions
Can't you see the ethnicity?
What do arochuku people call God & why does every Aro citizen speak and understand ibibio fluently, why do they worship ibibio deities, why do they bear ibibio names, why did the ibibio language survive even though the natives are forced to learn igbo in the school simple because the ibibio identity is too strong

The sur names in arochukwu are Kalu,KANU,okoro....if you wernt blind you would see that I said arochukwu was founded by ibibios before they were driven out by Igbo's when they had a war..Don't be r@t@rd..the story is like that of Ilorin Fulani's taking over..But the difference is Igbo's became a majority in arochukwu settlement kapich

1 Like

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by theDEVILisHERE: 2:28pm On May 07, 2017
There is no bridge to construct here
You all only have just one thing to do
Get out of a sinking ship ASAP or sink with it
Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 2:32pm On May 07, 2017
nengibo:

Lol you are an idiot oh, maybe its also the internet that crowned the Amanyanaapu , alapu & seniapu in all these kingdoms, it is the internet that created Ibani language, it is also the internet that made Opobo to be named after king Opubo, it is also the internet that named all the communities & families with Ibani Ijaw names, its also the internet that made the deities Sirimingi, Ikuba, Tolofari etc Ijaw, run along now illiterate, I jusr came back from church, I don't want to insult you

Again arochukwu was founded by ibibios but they were driving out when they had a war with Igbo's...• Type Monarchy (One of the few kingdoms in Nigeria, which practices the monarchical system of government)
• Eze Aro Ogbonnaya Okoro[1] even the king of arochukwu answers Eze and his name is Igbo so how come the all of arochukwu are Ibibio please what you don't know about just shut up...

1 Like

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ocelot2006(m): 5:30pm On May 07, 2017
ifeanyiAdemola:

Land grabber... The ikweres,,aniomas,,ikas,,etche,,ndoki are going to follow our south Eastern bethren...Nobody will stop us.

A parasitic leech calling me a "land grabber". Ain't that funny. Ever heard us Akwa Ibomites claim any land in the South East? . Btw how sure are you that the ethnic groups you've mentioned will follow you in the first place? Ever bothered to ask them in the first place? Or you just lumped them into your imaginary biafra without their consent as usual? If so, who's the land grabber now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Attempt, Towards Reconstructing The South-east And South-south Bridge by ifeanyiAdemola: 5:34pm On May 07, 2017
ocelot2006:

A parasitic leech calling me a "land grabber". Ain't that funny. Ever heard us Akwa Ibomites claim any land in the South East? . Btw how sure are you that the ethnic groups you've mentioned will follow you in the first place? Ever bothered to ask them in the first place? Or you just lumped them into your imaginary biafra without their consent as usual? If so, who's the land grabber now
stop spitting... We Igbo's in the south south are going to join our bethrens in the south east..do or die..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Richest Governors In Nigeria / Reason Why My People Yorubas Kept Mute On Ruga(photo) / If Buhari Was Igbo; The Double Standard Of The Yoruba. A Must Read!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.