Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,431 members, 7,800,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication (11375 Views)

Definition and the Meaning of “Islam” – Imam Ibn Baz (rahimahullaah) / Meaning Of Hijab / Meaning Of Alhaji Or Alhaja In Arabic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Newnas(m): 9:17am On May 06, 2017
Praise be to Allah, His Solah and salam be upon the last of the messengers, his companions and household and those who follow them in goodness till the day of qiyamah.

After that:

AbduLLah son of Umar son of Khattab (Allah be pleased with father and son) reported that the Messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam said:

Islam is built upon five pillars; Testifying that La ilaha illa Allah and Muhammad rosoolullaah, establishment of solah, giving of zakah, fasting Ramadan and Pilgrimage to the house for whoever has its means.

(Bukharee: Book of faith, and Muslim: Book of faith).

So this your la ilaha illa Allah is the reason why you are a Muslim and it's the reason why you cannot be in hell forever and it's the reason why you were created and it's the reason why all the messengers Alyhimussalam were sent and given books.

Unfortunately, today many 'muslims' utter the statement "la ilaha illa Allah" but only a few (care to) know it's meaning, conditions and implications.

So I'll try to do justice to it briefly.

MEANING

There is no god but Allah, there's no king as Allah and similar statements are the most common interpretations giving to this great word but unfortunately, they are not the correct meaning of la ilaha illa Allah.
Let's take the first meaning: There is no god but Allah. Allah the most high in His book didn't negate the existence of other deities and gods, what He negated is their right to be worshipped Allah says:

Surah Al-Hajj, Verse 62:
ذَٰلِكَ بِأَنَّ اللَّهَ هُوَ الْحَقُّ وَأَنَّ مَا يَدْعُونَ مِن دُونِهِ هُوَ الْبَاطِلُ وَأَنَّ اللَّهَ هُوَ الْعَلِيُّ الْكَبِيرُ

That is because Allah He is the Truth (the only True God of all that exists, Who has no partners or rivals with Him), and what they (the polytheists) invoke besides Him, it is Batil (falsehood) And verily, Allah He is the Most High, the Most Great.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

and he says also:

Surah Luqman, Verse 30:
ذَٰلِكَ بِأَنَّ اللَّهَ هُوَ الْحَقُّ وَأَنَّ مَا يَدْعُونَ مِن دُونِهِ الْبَاطِلُ وَأَنَّ اللَّهَ هُوَ الْعَلِيُّ الْكَبِيرُ

That is because Allah, He is the Truth, and that which they invoke besides Him is Al-Batil (falsehood, Satan and all other false deities), and that Allah, He is the Most High, the Most Great.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

So saying: there is no god but Allah is completely against the Quran.

....to be continued, in shaa Allah

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Newnas(m): 9:31am On May 06, 2017
Then let's take the second popular interpretation:

"No king as god"

the meaning of ilah is not king rather ilah means diety, any thing or person you worship by devoting your love, fear and hope in it/him that is your ilah. So ilah does not mean king because king in Arabic language means Malik, it could also be roughly translated as ra'ees, za'eem but not ilah.

So what's the true and correct meaning of la ilaha illa Allah.

There is no diety worthy of worship except Allah. That is the correct meaning because it shows that people worship many other things but they have no right to being worshiped, loved, feared and relied upon as Allah deserves.

Allah the most exalted explains in very short but highly detailed and convincing words the reason why He alone has right to being worshiped, loved, feared and relied upon.

Allah says:

Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 21-22:
يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ اعْبُدُوا رَبَّكُمُ الَّذِي خَلَقَكُمْ وَالَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

الَّذِي جَعَلَ لَكُمُ الْأَرْضَ فِرَاشًا وَالسَّمَاءَ بِنَاءً وَأَنزَلَ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ مَاءً فَأَخْرَجَ بِهِ مِنَ الثَّمَرَاتِ رِزْقًا لَّكُمْ فَلَا تَجْعَلُوا لِلَّهِ أَندَادًا وَأَنتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ

O mankind! Worship your Lord (Allah), Who created you and those who were before you so that you may become Al-Muttaqun (the pious - see V. 2:2).

Who has made the earth a resting place for you, and the sky as a canopy, and sent down water (rain) from the sky and brought forth therewith fruits as a provision for you. Then do not set up rivals unto Allah (in worship) while you know (that He Alone has the right to be worshipped).
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

Allah is the one who created the heavens and the earth and all that is in them including you, provides for you and directs your affairs so why should you love, fear and hope in other than Him? Why should you call on others besides Him.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Newnas(m): 9:35am On May 06, 2017
Allah also says in another verse:

Surah Saba, Verse 22:
قُلِ ادْعُوا الَّذِينَ زَعَمْتُم مِّن دُونِ اللَّهِ لَا يَمْلِكُونَ مِثْقَالَ ذَرَّةٍ فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَلَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَمَا لَهُمْ فِيهِمَا مِن شِرْكٍ وَمَا لَهُ مِنْهُم مِّن ظَهِيرٍ

Say: (O Muhammad SAW to those polytheists, pagans, etc.) "Call upon those whom you assert (to be associate gods) besides Allah, they possess not even the weight of an atom (or a small ant), either in the heavens or on the earth, nor have they any share in either, nor there is for Him any supporter from among them.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

And He says:

Surah Fatir, Verse 40:
قُلْ أَرَأَيْتُمْ شُرَكَاءَكُمُ الَّذِينَ تَدْعُونَ مِن دُونِ اللَّهِ أَرُونِي مَاذَا خَلَقُوا مِنَ الْأَرْضِ أَمْ لَهُمْ شِرْكٌ فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ أَمْ آتَيْنَاهُمْ كِتَابًا فَهُمْ عَلَىٰ بَيِّنَتٍ مِّنْهُ بَلْ إِن يَعِدُ الظَّالِمُونَ بَعْضُهُم بَعْضًا إِلَّا غُرُورًا

Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Tell me or inform me (what) do you think about your (socalled) partnergods to whom you call upon besides Allah, show me, what they have created of the earth? Or have they any share in the heavens? Or have We given them a Book, so that they act on clear proof therefrom? Nay, the Zalimun (polytheists and wrongdoers, etc.) promise one another nothing but delusions."
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

And He says:

Surah Al-Ahqaf, Verse 4:
قُلْ أَرَأَيْتُم مَّا تَدْعُونَ مِن دُونِ اللَّهِ أَرُونِي مَاذَا خَلَقُوا مِنَ الْأَرْضِ أَمْ لَهُمْ شِرْكٌ فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ ائْتُونِي بِكِتَابٍ مِّن قَبْلِ هَٰذَا أَوْ أَثَارَةٍ مِّنْ عِلْمٍ إِن كُنتُمْ صَادِقِينَ

Say (O Muhammad SAW to these pagans): "Think! All that you invoke besides Allah show me! What have they created of the earth? Or have they a share in (the creation of) the heavens? Bring me a Book (revealed before this), or some trace of knowledge (in support of your claims), if you are truthful!"
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Newnas(m): 10:11am On May 06, 2017
So Allah clearly explains why He alone has right to be worshipped. The verses that convey similar meanings are abundant in the Quran, the one who ponders well will find.

Conditions of la ilaha illa Allah

The conditions of la ilaha illa Allah are Six as compiled by Al-Haafidh al-Hakamiyy in his "sullam":

Knowledge: Learning the meaning, conditions, implications and nullifiers of this great statement. If not he wouldn't be able to respond to the questions in the grave.

the messenger alyhissolaat wassalaam said:
Chapter: Whoever gave a religious verdict by beckoning or by nodding

Hadith no :86

Narrated Asma'''':

I came to `Aisha while she was praying, and said to her, "What has happened to the people?" She pointed out towards the sky. (I looked towards the mosque), and saw the people offering the prayer. Aisha said, "Subhan Allah." I said to her, "Is there a sign?" She nodded with her head meaning, "Yes." I, too, then stood (for the prayer of eclipse) till I became (nearly) unconscious and later on I poured water on my head. After the prayer, the Prophet praised and glorified Allah and then said, "Just now at this place I have seen what I have never seen before, including Paradise and Hell. No doubt it has been inspired to me that you will be put to trials in your graves and these trials will be like the trials of Masih-ad-Dajjal or nearly like it (the sub narrator is not sure which expression Asma'''' used). You will be asked, ''''What do you know about this man (the Prophet Muhammad)?'''' Then the faithful believer (or Asma'''' said a similar word) will reply, ''''He is Muhammad Allah''''s Apostle who had come to us with clear evidences and guidance and so we accepted his teachings and followed him. And he is Muhammad.'''' And he will repeat it thrice. Then the angels will say to him, ''''Sleep in peace as we have come to know that you were a faithful believer.'''' On the other hand, a hypocrite or a doubtful person will reply, ''''I do not know, but I heard the people saying something and so I said it.'''' (the same). "

Sincerity: Not saying it to gather money, gain fame or other worldly possessions, rather saying it to seek the pleasure of Allah alone.

acceptance: The one who rejects it will not benefit from saying it in anyway. The acceptance is with the heart but the sign of sincere acceptance shows in the deeds of the person. The one who claims to accept la ilaha illa Allah but still does tawaf of graves is only deceiving himself. The Prophet's uncle, knew the meaning and implication of the statement but he didn't accept it out of fear of the people. His knowledge and acknowledgement did not benefit him in any way.

Love: One must love saying it, love it's meaning and love practicing it's required acts such as Solah, zakah, following the Quran and sunnah etc. The one who detests it and doesn't love those who abide by it, such a person is not going to be free from hell even if he says it a million times.

Submission: Once you say this statement and you really wish to be saved from hell forever then you must submit to the command of Allah even if it is against the wish of your parents, family, leader or ruler or even your personal wishes.

Lastly: truthfulness, the one who says it only to deceive others but doesn't actually accept it is a hypocrite and will be in the lowest pits of hell.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Newnas(m): 10:13am On May 06, 2017
Allah says:

Surah An-Nisa, Verse 142:
إِنَّ الْمُنَافِقِينَ يُخَادِعُونَ اللَّهَ وَهُوَ خَادِعُهُمْ وَإِذَا قَامُوا إِلَى الصَّلَاةِ قَامُوا كُسَالَىٰ يُرَاءُونَ النَّاسَ وَلَا يَذْكُرُونَ اللَّهَ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا

Verily, the hypocrites seek to deceive Allah, but it is He Who deceives them. And when they stand up for As-Salat (the prayer), they stand with laziness and to be seen of men, and they do not remember Allah but little.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

Surah An-Nisa, Verse 145:
إِنَّ الْمُنَافِقِينَ فِي الدَّرْكِ الْأَسْفَلِ مِنَ النَّارِ وَلَن تَجِدَ لَهُمْ نَصِيرًا

Verily, the hyprocrites will be in the lowest depths (grade) of the Fire; no helper will you find for them.
(English - Mohsin Khan)

via iQuran

1 Like 1 Share

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by abatisegun: 5:33pm On May 06, 2017
جزاك الله خيرا

2 Likes

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 06, 2017
Jazakallaah khayra......I think its better put this way "There is no deity worthy of worship except Allaah"

2 Likes

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Newnas(m): 12:49pm On May 07, 2017
abatisegun:
جزاك الله خيرا
آمين و إياكم
Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by pinkguy(m): 9:29am On May 12, 2017
Yes
Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by pinkguy(m): 9:36am On May 12, 2017
AbdelKabir:
Jazakallaah khayra......I think its better put this way "There is no deity worthy of worship except Allaah"
since Allaah is a Arabic word it's simple mean " The God" so please what is the name of this Allaah(the God) that is worthy of our worship? thank you . Muslim Allah(the God) don't have a name ?

4 Likes

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by WetDreamz: 9:39am On May 12, 2017
Allahu Akbar. Alhamdulilah robil alamin kiss
Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Meritocracy: 9:52am On May 12, 2017
Please seek knowledge and go and read ninety nine names of ALLAH, before coming here to criticize, religion issues are very sensitive and not for ignorance. Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by sodsak: 10:06am On May 12, 2017
pinkguy:
since Allaah is a Arabic word it's simple mean " The God" so please what is the name of this Allaah(the God) that is worthy of our worship? thank you . Muslim Allah(the God) don't have a name ?
Allah has more than 99 names,part of it is alkhaaliq(the creator)almusowwir(the fashioner)arrooziq(the provider) etc
Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by pinkguy(m): 10:07am On May 12, 2017
Meritocracy:
Please seek knowledge and go and read ninety nine names of ALLAH, before coming here to criticize, religion issues are very sensitive and not for ignorance. Thanks.
All the so called 99 names of Allah are not name but titles. Example of titles are father, mother. Anyone can be called father or mother , one of the so called 99 names of Allah is Ar-Raheem which means" the merciful"you can see it's title not name anyone can be merciful does that make the person to become Allah(the God) another one is AL-Hafiz which means"the guarding one" so if I guard someone to safety does that make me Allah (the God)

2 Likes

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Swiftlee(m): 12:59pm On May 12, 2017
The translations are correct but my brother and sisters run as fast as your legs can carry when you see people chanting that in a hurry and holding things like knife cry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Nobody: 1:02pm On May 12, 2017
*Yawns*

1 Like

Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by sodsak: 1:40pm On May 12, 2017
pinkguy:
All the so called 99 names of Allah are not name but titles. Example of titles are father, mother. Anyone can be called father or mother , one of the so called 99 names of Allah is Ar-Raheem which means" the merciful"you can see it's title not name anyone can be merciful does that make the person to become Allah(the God) another one is AL-Hafiz which means"the guarding one" so if I guard someone to safety does that make me Allah (the God)
your interpretation of those names is deficient..ar-raheem means the one who show mercy to all his creations in this world,by sending down rain, making things grow etctell me who else can do that after Allah?
Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by trigonometry: 2:27pm On May 12, 2017
pinkguy:
there's this pastor we all know named " David Oyedepo" which means 'king has gotten to the position' does it mean he is the king? Pls if u must make comments next time, let it be a sensible 1
Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by uvalued(m): 2:58pm On May 12, 2017
ةزششلل ጨሰሰፈጸሰቨኸቨ

i dont understand the above... interpretation please
Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Emassive(m): 3:47pm On May 12, 2017
Oga.... All this rock god wey dey claim Zeus
Re: La Ilaha Illa Allah: It's Meaning And Implication by Newnas(m): 8:11am On May 27, 2017
pinkguy:

Unfortunately for you, you are ignorant of the fact that there are two types of names;
names that have no meanings or at least the meaning is not intended like most western names.
Second are names that have meanings and the meanings of the names are intended.

they later is more common and it's the better of the two. The beauty of a name lies not only in how sweet it is on the tongue and to the ears rather it also includes the beauty of its meaning to the intellectuals.
This is a reason why the names of Allah are the most beautiful.

What even increases them in beauty is that the meanings in the names match the attributes of the named.

The names of Allah fall in that category.

(1) (Reply)

'Plucking of Eyebrows is not permissible In Islam / Silence Is Betrayal #houlamassacre #syria / Why Do Girls Refrain From Wearing Hijab?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.