Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 AM

How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery (12441 Views)

Android Battery Killers: 5 Worst Apps That Use Up Smartphone Battery / 7 Reasons Why Your Smartphone Battery Drains Twice Faster / 5 Reasons Your Smartphone Battery Will Always Be Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by TappGroupNG: 7:15pm On May 07, 2017
Your smartphone is a minor miracle, a pocket-sized computer that can fulfill almost every whim. But none of its superpowers matter a bit if it runs out of battery life. The first rule for extending your battery life is not using up all your battery life playing Candy Crush and walking around with Wi-Fi and GPS enabled when you're not using either and really, really need your phone to last that extra hour. But aside from that, there are some basic rules for care and charging, and they're the simplest baseline for a healthy battery.

Top it off

Battery memory is a real thing, but it applies to nickel-based batteries; your trusty sidekick (literal Sidekick or otherwise) doubtlessly has a lithium-ion battery, and it needs to be treated a little differently. Specifically, it should be topped off whenever you get the chance.
Keep it cool

It's easy to worry about bad charging habits thanks to the training we've had from old rechargeable batteries, but lithium-ion batteries have a worse enemy than sub-optimal charging: Heat. Your smartphone's battery will degrade much, much faster when it's hot, regardless of whether it's being used or just sitting around doing nothing. At an average temperature of 32 degrees fahrenheit, a lithium-ion battery will lose six percent of its maximum capacity per year. At 77 degrees, that number jumps to 20 percent, and at 104 degrees it's a whopping 35. Sure, it's not exactly practical (or sane) to keep your phone in the fridge, but it's worth going out of your way to prevent long stays in hot cars and the like.
Avoid wireless charging as much as possible

Wireless charging can be incredibly convenient if your phone can do it, but it's not without its disadvantages. The inductive, wireless chargers out there today can generate a fair bit of waste heat. And while wasted energy is just a bummer in general, that heat will also toast your battery in the process. That's no no. It's a little less convenient, but standard plug-in charging is going to keep your battery in better shape, especially if you're some place warm to begin with.

Never go to zero

If you're going to be shelving any lithium-ion battery for a long time, try to leave it with at least 40 percent battery power to tide it over. Lithium-ion batteries don't hemorrhage power when their not in use, but they'll lose maybe five to ten percent of their charge each month.And when lithium-ion batteries get too low—like, literally zero percent—they get seriously unstable, and dangerous to charge. To prevent explosion-type disasters when you go to charge one that's been sitting around for a month or two, lithium-ion batteries have built-in self-destruct circuits that will disable (read: destroy) the battery for good, if it reaches rock bottom. And sure, that'll save you from a face full of battery-acid, but it'll also leave you short one battery.

Don't sweat it too much

It's easy to get protective of your battery, but it's also easy to get lazy. And that's fine, because as long as you're not a complete idiot, you'll be OK. Typically, a lithium-ion battery lasts for three to five years, and chances are you're going to want to swap out your gadgets sometime in that window anyway. The slight damage of a technically bad idea—like leaving your phone plugged in all night every night, or using fast charging when you need it—is worth the convenience.

Still, it's pretty easy to keep your battery reasonably healthy just by avoiding torture like letting your iphone, Samsung, Infinix or Tecno phone discharge from full to zero every single day, or leaving it in a hot car all the time. And the next time you make it back home with battery power to spare, you'll thank yourself for it

Culled from http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

4 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 07, 2017
Let me check my battery, I am coming

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Dandsome: 8:15pm On May 07, 2017
Just like the guy above. I'm coming too

3 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Behankey(m): 8:17pm On May 07, 2017
Thanks for the headup. But some phone's battery don't need saving o. Take for example Tecno L9 Plus high capacity battery. It won't even make u charge every time. Enough battery life to do everything and anything.

4 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by TappGroupNG: 8:53pm On May 07, 2017
That phone's battery is a different breed sha
I'm talking about smart phones with ordinary batteries.
Behankey:
Thanks for the headup. But some phone's battery don't need saving o. Take for example Tecno L9 Plus high capacity battery. It won't even make u charge every time. Enough battery life to do everything and anything.

2 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Techm8: 11:59pm On May 07, 2017
"Never let it get to zero" i keep this in mind all the time. 10% Is the new 0% for me.

5 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Defaramade(m): 12:34am On May 08, 2017

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Abdstrakt(m): 9:14am On May 15, 2017
Behankey:
True, but funny enough there's a power saving feature on L9plus. Enable it and you'll be struggling to finish the juice on it.

3 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by john1035: 7:24am On May 16, 2017
All the ones above me just dey use style dey advertise tecno grin grin

Very neat iPhone 5c for sale N45k, slightly negotiable.

https://www.nairaland.com/3797509/very-neat-iphone-5c-16gb
Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by HalbondAdmin: 7:24am On May 16, 2017
Kol

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by dhope001(m): 7:24am On May 16, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Nobody: 7:24am On May 16, 2017
with my 5000mAh ba3 me no send una

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Destinylink(m): 7:25am On May 16, 2017
As long as you are in naija, it must go to 0% o.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by iceberryose(m): 7:26am On May 16, 2017
nairaland Sha
Today you will see how to live without your phone
Tomorrow you'll see how to make you battery longer so you'll be on the phone all day
AH hayLo
Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by hemartins(m): 7:26am On May 16, 2017
I can remember the last time I charged my phone to hundred percent.

As at now my battery is 5%

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by iceberryose(m): 7:28am On May 16, 2017
Techm8:
"Never let it get to zero"
i keep this in mind all the time. 10% Is the new 0% for me.
It's like you don't know those WhatsApp Girls
They Only Reply When Ya Battery Is Below Ten Percent
Lol
Freaking Karashikas

15 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by olajazz(m): 7:29am On May 16, 2017
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Nobody: 7:31am On May 16, 2017
Most android ba3 are enemy to 100%. Once it is fully charged and you unplug it. Na 99%, 98%, 97%... Na now e go con stable.
Even Iphone battery no dey stay too long for 100%.

5 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by onosprince(m): 7:31am On May 16, 2017
I charge my battery every seconds, i no care whether he full or not...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by stjudas(m): 7:34am On May 16, 2017
Nice one... But please write in better English next time if possible. All this "pretty this..., Pretty that" American 'slangy' English eats up the info articles​ like this are trying to pass. Writing in Warri pidgin could be better.

6 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Tazdroid(m): 7:36am On May 16, 2017
Destinylink:

As in eh

When NEPA take light for 3 days straight, even ya phone go bow

3 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Mopolchi: 7:41am On May 16, 2017
Okay. Good to know

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by selfdefence: 7:41am On May 16, 2017
Nice

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by DjAndroid: 7:43am On May 16, 2017
This post is in parables

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by faith551(m): 7:44am On May 16, 2017
I like the current innovation in phone batteries recently tho. As of last two years you'll hardly see a battery with more than 2500mah.
But if a battery life as the op stated lasts a minimum of 5years, does it mean phones with inbuilt battery are not a good bet??
Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by donbenie(m): 7:44am On May 16, 2017
Leaving your battery plugged in ALL night has been proven to have ZERO negative impact on the life of a modern Smartphone,these devices have built-in regulatory mechanisms which kicks in once the phone reaches 100% and shut down the charge to avoid overcharge..
First the rate of charging slows down at around 90% and then trickles till full and shuts down at 100%,then only kicks in if required to top it right back up..it's a MYTH still being propagated to scare the gullible..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by shiftback: 7:44am On May 16, 2017
stjudas:
Nice one... But please write in better English next time if possible. All this "pretty this..., Pretty that" American 'slangy' English eats up the info articles​ like this are trying to pass. Writing in Warri pidgin could be better.
Lol...Some of us no go fit understand the warri slang

1 Like

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by shiftback: 7:49am On May 16, 2017
john1035:
All the ones above me just dey use style dey advertise tecno grin grin

Very neat iPhone 5c for sale N45k, slightly negotiable.

https://www.nairaland.com/3797509/very-neat-iphone-5c-16gb
And you're openly marketing your iPhone 5c for 45k. grin
Will you sell for 30k? grin
Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by donbenie(m): 7:50am On May 16, 2017
Destinylink:
Not true,with a good Power Bank your phone will never go to 0%..AM a heavy user, over the last few years and over 10 Smartphones later I've NEVER hit 0%,unless INTENTIONAL..

2 Likes

Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by john1035: 7:52am On May 16, 2017
shiftback:

And you're openly marketing your iPhone 5c for 45k. grin
Will you sell for 30k? grin
Boss, why you dey wyn me now
Re: How To Care For Your Smartphone Battery by Nobody: 7:59am On May 16, 2017
onosprince:
I charge my battery every seconds, i no care whether he full or not...
dat makes us even.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OPPO launches A1k and A5s Mid Range Smartphones Into The Nigerian Market / Adobe Unveils AI Tool That Can Detect Photoshopped Faces / How Much Can You Pay For This Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.