Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. (12232 Views)

Port-harcourt Is Igweocha! What Is The Yoruba Name Of Lagos? / Igwuocha (port Harcourt) Is Not Igboland? Now these pics confirm otherwise / "Port-Harcourt Is Part Of Igboland And Igbos Developed Lagos" - Pat Utomi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Ndiofe: 11:32pm On May 09, 2017
fratermathy:
3. The above examples shed light on the issue at hand concerning Ikwerre, as well as Ukwuani, Ika, and some other languages spoken in Rivers State. These languages are Igboid but they cannot be called dialects of Igbo because they have evolved over the years to be unintelligible to Igbo speakers. Their cultures have also evolved to be quite distinct from mainstream Igbo culture and they also have their own dialects.

So to answer your question: Igbo actually has dialects, as earlier mentioned, such as Ngwa, Owerre, Enuani, Ezza, etc. However, some languages are simply derivatives of Igbo, and nothing more. Ikwerre falls within the latter. This is the status quo in current linguistic studies on Ikwerre.

Ukwuani is spoken in Anambra by Onitsha and Ogbaru. Ika follows from Ukwuani directll from the East. Igbo is very different. The languagess u mentioned as examples are dialect.

If u want derivates try Ekpeye.

3 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Scholes007(m): 12:45am On May 10, 2017
blues20:

Va = Emolga. Bia = Ikwerre, Obio/Akpor and Rebisi......

its not pronounced 'va' but 'bva'. Bva henm, as in 'come here', same as 'bia apa' use by Rebisi people. In Igbo you say bia eba\ebe\nga\ah....' depending on the dialect you are coming from. Ikwerre do not speak one dialect, so you ain't get a case here Mrs. Nengi. cheesy
am not interested in what ikwere think, but u know little about Igbo dialects. How will classify "bva nibie " as used by Afikpo.

2 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by knowledgeable: 3:16am On May 10, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

You are the one getting it wrong - Not me.

Almost correct but you forgot to include Ikwerre in the Igbo dialect list - I have corrected your error.

Story for the gods. So? How does this affect Ikwerre as an Igbo group. Ikwerres belong to every major Igbo socio-cultural group. So what nonsense are you spewing?

Ikwerre is not synonymous to Itsekiri. Ikwerre is more like Ijebu. Use your head now tongue

Again. Ikwerre is to Igbo what Ijebu is to Yoruba. Not what Urhobo et. al is to Edo OR Itsekiri is to Yoruba.

This topic is not about Ika or Ukwuani but Ikwerre. Stay on topic.

You clearly do NOT know Ikwerre or their relationship with Igbo. This is why I advice some of you to study before spewing. STUDY BEFORE SPEWING. ENOUGH SAID.

There is absolutely nothing to study here period.

The Ikwerre phenomenon is nothing but the nature of Igbo republicsm. This is a case of Igbo republicsm in its extreme.

Individually, the Igbo excel more than any, because his God given nature through self reliance is seeking independence(freedom).

Collectively, this individualism turns into republicsm seeking autonomous enclaves.... braking away from the root or mother(body)....and over the millennial, an Ikwere is formed. There are other Igbo enclaves all over the place exhibiting these evolutionary characteristics.

This nature of the Igbo man was a nightmare for "a colonial system of governance" hence they use the word "duplicity" to explain it. Anambra state, as small as is have over 200 autonomous communities or towns as the case may be.

Bro, every thing about the Igbos fascinate the Yoruba more than Igbos get fascinated about them.

The beauty of some Igbo women appear to each and every one of them as exotic and hypothesize them.

Your individual success as it happens on short notice and your collective progress, they cannot explain and it fascinate them the most because they fully understand the bubby traps, they and the Hausa/Fulani have lay on your part. They have usurped the international airport/seaport and you still excel to their fascination.

The Yoruba will eternally engage the Igbos due to the above and other etcs.

3 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by nengibo: 6:15am On May 10, 2017
blues20:

You are entitled to your opinion. Are you telling me that if an Omalelu man speaks, an Oguta man will not understand? You see your life. Madam Nengi, I feel like laughing at your naivety. cheesy cheesy cheesy. Check both dialect side by side, and you will see huge similarities....
This woman to dey dodge question
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Nobody: 7:48am On May 10, 2017
Scholes007:
am not interested in what ikwere thing, but u know little about Igbo dialects. How will classify "bva nibie " as used by Afikpo.
That list was used to push a point home to the lady. They are not of course complete. I'm aware of the Afikpo tongue. I'm also from Ebonyi State, and if I should list some of our common words, most Igbos will have a hard time understanding it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by PFRB: 10:11am On May 10, 2017
Below is what the Willinks commission said about Port Harcourt in 1958.

""""""The former Rivers Division also includes over 300,000 Ibos of whom 250,000 are in Ahoada Division and 45,000 in Port Harcourt. Port Harcourt is a town of recent growth and of rapidly increasing importance; it is built on land that bëlonged originally to an outlying branch of the Ibo tribe, the Diobus, but is largely inhabited by the Ibos from the interior who have come to trade or seek employment….Of the total 747,000 in the Rivers province, 305,000 are Ibos, 240,000 are Ijaws and 156,000 are Ogonis.”""""

3 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by PFRB: 12:19am On May 11, 2017
Where is Tonye? ? ? ?
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Thespacepilot: 11:05pm On May 11, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

This thread is about Port Harcourt. Maybe if the real owners of Port Harcourt ask me not to interfere I might consider it. But how can an OSU like you decide who gets to discuss Port Harcourt? Common, why would I even consider your request? grin

Can you differentiate between a ikwerre obinna and Igbo obinna...As a Yoruba person say the truth can you....
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Thespacepilot: 11:10pm On May 11, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Dude - I stopped taking you seriously when you called the Ijaws of Port Harcout VISITORS. Walahi, that is probably the dumbest statement I have heard in a very long time. The funny thing is you know you are lying but somehow you are hoping that you can intimidate this ancient people to abandon their homeland. Good luck but guess what? It ain't gonna happen grin

Check anywhere the ikweres own portharcourt...But I don't know of the ijaws
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Thespacepilot: 11:16pm On May 11, 2017
If the ikwerres keep answering Igbo names they are Igbo's until when they should stop using Igbo names that is when I will talk them seriously because someone can't be answering obinna amadi or Charles ukachukwu and say he is not Igbo in fact its an atrocitie..
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Thespacepilot: 11:48pm On May 11, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Can you differentiate between an Itshekiri Ayo and a Yoruba Ayo? -As an Igbo person say the truth. Can you?

No I can't now you answer me..I asked the question first..
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Thespacepilot: 11:51pm On May 11, 2017
AkinPhysicist:

Can you differentiate between an Itshekiri Ayo and a Yoruba Ayo? -As an Igbo person say the truth. Can you?

But do you see Igbo's talking about itshekiris been of Yoruba descent...Even when half of the Yoruba's can't understand ijebu but you don't see Igbo's saying that ijebus aren't Yoruba's...The ikwerres are to us what ijebus are to Yoruba's...Can you akin pyscist understand ijebu language..

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by actrinity(m): 7:55pm On May 25, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

Tonye - Ikwerres are Igbos. A true Ikwerre person will tell you this. The Ijaws in Southern Port Harcourt are not natives. They are visitors.
My fiance is from Rivers state; precisely Port-Harcourt. Her name & surname are all igbo and her parents never denied igbo. I asked the father some months about their real identity, that some of his people said that they are not igbo. He laughed so loud & asked me her daughter's name? I answered. He asked me the surname, which I equally answered. He then asked me, how do they sound? I said they're all igbo names. Without wasting time, he answered me that they are igbo & will never deny his identity for any reason. All his children bears igbo names. He said that Port-Harcourt & igbo identity crises came immediately after the civil war, caused by gowon (divide & rule) to deprive Igbos access to sea so that they cannot import any weapon to challenge his government.

3 Likes

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 25, 2017
ayokellany:

You mean to force your identity on the Ikwerres either they like it or not just like Nigeria is forcing it's identity on the Igbos

IS THE WORD IKWERE YORUBA, NO IS IT HAUSA, NO BUT ITS IGBO LANGUAGE WHICH I KNOW ITS MEANING.......A FRIEND FROM RIVERS WHOSE BOTH PARENT ARE FROM RIVERS HAVE THEIR SURNAME AS CHIKA, HIS NAME IS OBINNA THE SISTER IS CHINYERE
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 25, 2017
When port harcut is not Igbo the governors name is NYESON NWIKE pls is nwike Hausa, YORUBA or IGBO
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Chiaka(f): 8:23pm On May 25, 2017
Yes Absolutely correct! Not part of Igbo land but part of Biafra Land grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Chiaka(f): 8:24pm On May 25, 2017
ezenwajosh:
When port harcut is not Igbo the governors name is NYESON NWIKE pls is nwike Hausa, YORUBA or IGBO

Please No worries
When port harcut is not Igbo the governors name is NYESON NWIKE pls is nwike Hausa, YORUBA or IGBO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Chiaka(f): 8:25pm On May 25, 2017
ezenwajosh:

No worries

Yes Absolutely correct! Not part of Igbo land but part of Biafra Land grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Mujtahida: 11:19pm On May 29, 2017
GodIsBiafran:

Please Ndiigbo ignore this animal in human form called Ekinematics. He is an Afonja who ALWAYS insert himself in Igbo issues especially when it concerns our legitimate interests in the South-South. As for Tonye Barcanista, he has exposed himself as one of those very rare Igbo-hating Ijaws. Leave him to his [/b]madness[b] and stop giving him attention. Amberon is a Yoruba woman - I don't care how many copy and paste of Urhobo words she stole from the internet. And that [/b]he-goat[b] called fratermathy might very well be Urhobo but he is only supporting that Afonja woman because [/b]he wants sex[b]. Please ignore these losers. Igbo interest is too valuable to be engaging with these nobodies.
You are a very foul mouthed orang utan oozing out putrescence from every pore of your wasted, diseased soul. You disgust me. Infernal sponge prick Hypocrite and universal coward. Idiat. Later he'd be calling mods. God punish you deeply.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by ayokellany: 3:41am On Jun 27, 2017
ezenwajosh:

IS THE WORD IKWERE YORUBA, NO IS IT HAUSA, NO BUT ITS IGBO LANGUAGE WHICH I KNOW ITS MEANING.......A FRIEND FROM RIVERS WHOSE BOTH PARENT ARE FROM RIVERS HAVE THEIR SURNAME AS CHIKA, HIS NAME IS OBINNA THE SISTER IS CHINYERE

So because they are friends from River you have the right to take them through the ordeal you experience under Nigeria n also deny self determination ?
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by PVision2020(m): 7:11am On Jun 27, 2017
Infact this igbo people wahala tire person. From claiming ijaw, edo, urhobo, benue, Kogi to ikweres, infact all Africa be ibo....LOL. Their attache by fire by force mentality just weak person. How many times have you seen yorubas' laying claim to itshekiri or even the Eguns that are very close by.

Why can't you guys develop ur 5 erosion ravage states instead of masturbating over SS resources and Lagos #furugbo
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Malawian(m): 5:16am On Jun 29, 2017
Why Are you Nigerians fighting to have Igbo or Igboid speaking people in your post Biafra Nigeria? Are you not tired of tolerating Igbos?
Who do una this kind strong thing ni?

We are NOT leaving any singular Igbo speaking people behind for you guys to dehumanize.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Malawian(m): 5:21am On Jun 29, 2017
What i have learnt from this thread is that there are Igbos in Okirika and Igbos can​ also ne found in Onne (from another thread)
You guys should keep at it, we have to know every igbo speaking communities in that River State and we must properly mark Igbo boundary there.

There is still Edo igbos to talk​ about after this.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by oyatz(m): 6:56am On Jul 26, 2017
Historians really need to carry out great researches on the legendary Afonja whether he led wars into the Igbo territories, killing some many Igbos 200years ago, who have now reincarnated as IPOB youths of today.

The way they loathe him as display on Nairaland daily is incredible.

Sanchez01:

I once mentioned that you guys have been remotely accessed into believing that those who have contrary views from yours regardless of where they are from are nothing but Afonja. Sadly, it says a whole lot about your reasoning. If Afonja killed you in your former life, I believe it won't be hard to figure. Amberon is an Urhobo lady. There is only a class of people I know who fill themselves with bile and hate, and that is some of the separatist Igbos. A whole lot is wrong, if you ask me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by oyatz(m): 10:30am On Jul 26, 2017
Which Igbo oil?

hammer6:

As it stands today in NIGERIA, the South West have Lagos as a commercial hub. Trade flows from Lagos to Ogun and other nearby state.
Abuja is their for the North. They have also developed Kaduna and Kano very well.

Now all this development is with Igbo, Ijaw, Ibibio, Urhobo, Itsekiri oil money.

We should all be coming together with a plan to establish wat is known as Economic zone, like Lagos.

Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by oyatz(m): 10:40am On Jul 26, 2017
Lagos has been inexistence for about 700 years and has been a maritime hub for at least 500years while Kano (Old name Dala) have been in existence for about a thousand years with records of diplomatic, economic and political relationships with the Ottoman, Songhai and Mali empires at a time nobody in the outside world knows your 'cities' ... Correct yourself, these are NOT newly developed city States.

hammer6:
Anybody fighting igbo is not ready to face the problem that is facing them and a coward and time waster, that will never achieve anything.

Igbo came together and supported GEJ knowing fully well that due to his weak leadership and sheepish approach he was not going to win. We supported him anyway.

If GEJ was Urhobo or Bini or Ibibio or Efik we do the same for them. That is the spirit.

Until the southern minority accept the invitation and join igbo on the round table of brotherhood, we together will continue to be victimised in this fraudulent entity called Nigeria.

There was once a time, the South could boast of at least(minimum) of 4 City States namely, Nembe, Bonny/Opobo, Okirika(Eclipsed by Port Harcourt now), Calabar.

Today, we rather argue over land, whilst we all migrate to newly established City States called Lagos, Abuja and Kano.

Wat a shame, how did it get so bad without hope of recovery/redemption? smh! undecided
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by oyatz(m): 8:56am On Nov 24, 2017
So Ikwerre language is made up of several dialects, how come many Igbo people claim Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo?

Va = Emolga. Bia = Ikwerre, Obio/Akpor and Rebisi......

its not pronounced 'va' but 'bva'. Bva henm, as in 'come here', same as 'bia apa' use by Rebisi people. In Igbo you say bia eba\ebe\nga\ah....' depending on the dialect you are coming from. Ikwerre do not speak one dialect, so you ain't get a case here Mrs. Nengi. cheesy
Re: Port Harcourt Is Not Part Of Igbo Land. by Scholes007(m): 1:01pm On Nov 24, 2017
oyatz:
So Ikwerre language is made up of several dialects, how come many Igbo people claim Ikwerre is a dialect of Igbo?

people talk shit when they view things with their myopic lenses. There is nothing exceptional in that analogy.
Uturu in Abia state use the clause"come here" in two for. either they use
I) bie nga or II) bie ohoo. It does in any why mean different dialect. Likewise Afikpo in ebonyi state that use I) bia n'ibie or bia ibie. People from ugwueme in Enugu state also use "bva opa" or "va obee"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Ndigbo Will Conquer & Rule In Oduduwa Republic" - By Churchill Okonkwo / Lagos Assembly Suspends 3 Council Chairmen Over Disobedience / Army Detonates 642 Unexploded Bombs From Ikeja Cantonment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.