Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,950 members, 7,803,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 09:55 AM

Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us (6052 Views)

Our Maths Gurus Please Come In And Solve This For Me / OAU Ife Must Apologise To PUTME Candidates / I Apologise For My Insensitive Joke- Omega Chicks President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 11:03pm On May 08, 2017
Friedyokes:
okay when u were taught bodmas did u interpret the 'of' to mean multiplication nd square root ...or when ur teacher taught u he or she said 'of' means square root nd powers ....remember we were taught as kids

How do you explain the contextual meaning of "order" to a nursery school pupil?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by TheLogicalMind(m): 11:04pm On May 08, 2017
phililp:

dump-ass.. i know ur probably one of those back benchers that hide under ur lockers to play card while the maths teacher is teaching....
now what the OP is saying is this::: our maths teachers used to tell us that the "O" in BODMAS mean "of" but now we have attended high institutions and now know it means ORDER not OF...

receive sense..

By your description you've summed up this hack grin
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 11:06pm On May 08, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Then "order".
Besides, is BODMAS an acronym or just an aid to memory?
Again, who told you BODMAS is even a formula?
No Mind D Op

For Him Mind Him Don Discover The Genetic Structure Of HIV
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by TheLogicalMind(m): 11:07pm On May 08, 2017
phililp:

dump-ass.. i know ur probably one of those back benchers that hide under ur lockers to play card while the maths teacher is teaching....
now what the OP is saying is this::: our maths teachers used to tell us that the "O" in BODMAS mean "of" but now we have attended high institutions and now know it means ORDER not OF...

receive sense..

You're quite right. According to the Encyclopedia of Mathemathics:

The BODMAS acronym is for:

Brackets (parts of a calculation inside brackets always come first).
Orders (numbers involving powers or square roots).
Division.
Multiplication.
Addition.
Subtraction.

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 11:07pm On May 08, 2017
ANTONINEUTRON:
No Mind D Op

For Him Mind Him Don Discover The Genetic Structure Of HIV
grin grin
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 11:17pm On May 08, 2017
LionDeLeo:

How do you explain the contextual meaning of "order" to a nursery school pupil?
u have left justifying that 'of' means multiplication nd now u r saying the children are too young ...we were taught bodmas from primary school through junior secondary and not once did any of our teachers make the correction or are u saying that a primary 6 or jss student can't handle it ?

1 Like

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 11:22pm On May 08, 2017
Friedyokes:
u have left justifying that 'of' means multiplication nd now u r saying the children are too young ...we were taught bodmas from primary school through junior secondary and not once was did any of our teachers make the correction or are u saying that a primary 6 or jss student can't handle it ?

Nay! You are missing the point.

What I mean is that both "of" and "order" mean the same thing, in principle. And as such, our teachers are very correct.

Infact, even from your little example, I can prove to you that multiplication and division mean same thing.

Same applies to addition and subtraction, same.

Also, it can be argued that addition and multiplication are exactly the same.

Just as division and subtraction also mean same thing.

So, generally, all mathematics operations are just same just that for simplicity, they are differentiated.

But some are more interchangeable with others like "order" and "of".
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by TheLogicalMind(m): 11:26pm On May 08, 2017
Multiplications and Divisions mean the same thing?

Let's put this absurd theory to the test. If you multiply a division, you end up back where you started. If you start with 4, and you divide it into 2, then multiply 2, you end up right back with 4.

So how can multiplication and division mean the same thing? Does that even make sense?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 11:28pm On May 08, 2017
LionDeLeo:

What I mean is that both "of" and "order" mean the same thing, in principle. And as such, our teachers are very correct.

Infact, even from your little example, I can prove to you that multiplication and division mean same thing.

Same applies to addition and subtraction.
let's say I agree with u that 'of' nd 'order' mean the same thing are u going to tell me that in all u years of school without checking u interpreted 'of' as square root?...because although I found it weird ...I nd i assume a lot of students interpreted 'of' as a preposition in bodmas
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 11:30pm On May 08, 2017
Friedyokes:
let's say I agree with u that 'of' nd 'order' mean the same thing are u going to tell me that in all u years of school without checking u interpreted 'of' as square root?...because although I found it weird ...I nd i assume a lot of students interpreted 'of' as a preposition in bodmas

Modified, with addition. "Of" has always meant "multiplication" I have always known this.
LionDeLeo:

So, generally, all mathematics operations are just same just that for simplicity, they are differentiated.

Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by TheLogicalMind(m): 11:32pm On May 08, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Let's put this absurd theory to the test. If you multiply a division, you end up back where you started. If you start with 4, and you divide it into 2, then multiply 2, you end up right back with 4.

So how can multiplication and division mean the same thing? Does that even make sense?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 11:35pm On May 08, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

Dude, find a way of getting out of my mention. I'm talking with a member who knows what he is doing.

Now, get out.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 11:41pm On May 08, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Modified, with addition. "Of" has always meant "multiplication" I have always known this.
if 'of' in bodmas means multiplication why is it written differently...if addition means subtraction why was it written differently in BODMAS

if you are telling me that 'of' 'square root' and multiplication mean the same thing what then is the point of Bodmas shouldn't it be bdmas or are u saying they added it for its pronunciation

My point in essence was that teachers telling us 'of' was misleading ...it would've been better if they had said order ...nd if we asked they'll tell us when we go higher we will understand (an excuse they gave all the time )
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by TheLogicalMind(m): 11:45pm On May 08, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Dude, find a way of getting out of my mention. I'm talking with a member who knows what he is doing.

Now, get out.

Talking with a member who knows what he is doing? More like being schooled by a member who knows what he's doing. Too bad that the degrees they hand out like candy in Usman Dan Fodio University don't come with disclaimers written on them grin
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 11:55pm On May 08, 2017
Friedyokes:
if 'of' in bodmas means multiplication why is it written differently...if addition means subtraction why was it written differently in BODMAS

if you are telling me that 'of' 'square root' and multiplication mean the same thing what then is the point of Bodmas shouldn't it be bdmas or are u saying they added it for its pronunciation

My point in essence was that teachers telling us 'of' was misleading ...it would've been better if they had said order ...nd if we asked they'll tell us when we go higher we will understand (an excuse they gave all the time )

Actually, the point there is that, in teaching, methodologies and consideration of phase are of critical importance.

There are things which we were taught at elementary levels which as we proceeded further in studies, we discovered they are not true, but teaching them in that fashion is very correct.

Example.
In junior secondary schools, what was the definition of atom.

We were told that they are the smallest indivisible particles that can take part in chemical reactions.

But is that definition correct? No.

Atoms are not the smallest indivisible particles and the components that actually take part in chemical reactions are not atoms but electrons and protons.

Again, in primary schools, we were told that examples of nouns are chair, school, etc.

But we later discovered that this is not true because you cannot say this is the part of speech a word belongs to until it is used in a sentence.

That is a school. School is a noun here.

But

They school here. School is a verb here.

While

This is a school library. Here, school is an adjective.

Hence, you classify a word based on the work it does in a sentence. That is, it must be used in a sentence first before you say if it is a noun or whatever.

But what were we told? A noun is the name of person, place or thing.

Examples of noun; chair, table, house.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:00am On May 09, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

Talking with a member who knows what he is doing? More like being schooled by a member who knows what he's doing. Too bad that the degrees they hand out like candy in Usman Dan Fodio University don't come with disclaimers written on them grin

Okay, can you now leave?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:09am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:

Meanwhile, if you are interested, I can prove the equality of all the arithmetic operations I have mentioned.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:12am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Actually, the point there is that, in teaching, methodologies are of critical importance.

There are things which we were taught at elementary levels which as we proceeded further in studies, we discovered they are not true, but teaching them in that fashion is very correct.

Example.
In junior secondary schools, what was the definition of atom.

We were told that they are the smallest indivisible particles that can take part in chemical reactions.

But is that definition correct? No.

Atoms are not the smallest indivisible particles and the components that actually take part in chemical reactions are not atoms but electrons and protons.

Again, in primary schools, we were told that examples of nouns are chair, school, etc.

But we later discovered that this is not true because you cannot say this is the part of speech a word belongs to until it is used in a sentence.

That is a school. School is a noun here.

But

They school here. School is a verb here.

While

This is a school library. Here, school is an adjective.

Hence, you classify a word based on the job it does in a sentence.
let's say I agree with u that giving false information/deliberately misinforming impressionable students was very correct ...at what stage do u think that this misinformation needs to be corrected ..because I can say for fact till I left secondary school no teacher made the correction...nd yes if I had known that.. I would've seen equations involving simplification in a whole new light (example changing sub of formula : my teacher just told me that the roots should be removed fest if he had related it to bodmas it would've simplified things)....if till today u asked me what bodmas was I would've told u that 'of' is a preposition
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:18am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Meanwhile, if you are interested, I can prove the equality of all the arithmetic operations I have mentioned.
if I am to agree with u that would mean that they are connected ...but then bodmas is still separating them ...so it is the responsibility of the teacher to explain to us and they didn't ..that's the problem
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:19am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
let's say I agree with u that giving false information/deliberately misinforming impressionable students was very correct ...at what stage do u think that this misinformation needs to be corrected ..because I can say for fact till I left secondary school no teacher made the correction...nd yes if I had known that.. I would've seen equations involving simplification in a whole new light (example changing sub of formula : my teacher just told me that the roots should be removed fest if he had related it to bodmas it would've simplified things)....if till today u asked me what bodmas was I would've told u that 'of' is a preposition

Well, the use of "of" even as a preposition, based on your own understanding is still not different from its exact meaning in mathematics.

If for instance I say, 20% of 50, what do you think that connotes? Is it not still 20/100 × 50?

Again, if I say, 2/3 of 60, is that not 2/3×60?

So, even as a preposition, it still implies multiplication in mathematics.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:21am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
if I am to agree with u that would mean that they are connected ...but then bodmas is still separating them ...so it is the responsibility of the teacher to explain to us and they didn't ..that's the problem

But you may certainly be understanding it in a different perspective because I know some teachers may not know the exact meaning of the "of". But not knowing it doesn't mean that what they say is wrong.
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:22am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Well, the use of "of" even as a preposition, based on your own understanding is still not different from its exact meaning in mathematics.

If for instance I say, 20% of 50, what do you think that connotes? Is it not still 20/100 × 50?

Again, if I say, 2/3 of 60, is that not 2/3×60?

So, even as a preposition, it still implies multiplication in mathematics.
by preposition there I mean I would never liken it to finding the squareroot or powers
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:25am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

But you may certainly be understanding it in a different perspective because I know some teachers may not know the exact meaning of the "of". But not knowing it doesn't mean that what they say is wrong.
they were wrong in not telling us what it means which is their entire job description
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:26am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
by preposition there I mean I would never liken it to finding the squareroot or powers

The equality between "of" and "order" has been discussed.

But did you liken it to multiplication, based on this last post you quoted?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:26am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
they were wrong in not telling us what it means which is their entire job description

Not telling you that it is multiplication or order?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:29am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

The equality between "of" and "order" had been discussed.

But did you liken it to multiplication based on this last post you quoted?
discussed not agreed upon ....Yes in that context of is multiplication
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:31am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
discussed not agreed upon ....Yes in that context of is multiplication

Okay, the issue now is how is "of" same as "order"?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:32am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Not telling you that it is multiplication or order?
not telling us either ..they simply ignored it ..till we left school ....nd it being multiplication is still debatable ..saying square root and powers means multiplication is just confusing
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:34am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
not telling us either ..they simply ignored it ..till we left school ....nd it being multiplication is still debatable ..saying square root and powers means multiplication is just confusing

Two things at the same time. One at a time.

First, what is 4^2?

As in 4 to the power of 2
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:34am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Okay, the issue now is how is "of" same as "order"?
no the issue is that they made no effort to explain what 'of' in bodmas means leaving us to assume it is of no use
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by LionDeLeo: 12:38am On May 09, 2017
Friedyokes:
no the issue is that they made no effort to explain what 'of' in bodmas means leaving us to assume it is of no use

Now, what exactly is your argument? Cos I'm not really understanding.

That they did not explain the meaning of "of" or that the "o" is not "of" but "order"?
Re: Our Maths Teachers Must Apologise To Us by Friedyokes: 12:40am On May 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Two things at the same time. One at a time.

First, what is 4^2?

As in 4 to the power of 2
okay see what you are doing ...you are explaining to me ...my point is that they didn't ...which leads me to believe that they did not know and if they did not know ...the 'of' which we were taught in the manner we were taught does not relate to multiplication or square root or powers...which makes them wrong

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Covid-19: Microbiology And Biochemistry Lecturers And Students Are Useless / U.I Change Of Course Registration Has Commenced. / Unilag Admission List 2011/2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.