Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. (2291 Views)

Extreme Introverts, How Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People / Prophetess Patience Akpabio: Sex Without Loud Moaning Produces Inactive Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 11:20pm On May 08, 2017
Is something wrong with me? Why am I so different? Why can't I be more outgoing like everyone else?
These are the kind of troubling, alienating, seemingly unanswerable questions every introvert living in Nigeria has silently contemplated at some point in his or her life. For the introvert, contemporary Nigerian society appears to be a pernicious environment carefully designed to torture and isolate people with their personality traits.

The internal despair and psychological distress emanating from constant self critique and self-hate makes up half of the punishment imposed upon the introvert by the uneven hands of nature. Popular narrative within society compounds the introvert's dilemma and further exacerbates his predicament. Introverts are told from a very young age that their personality is an anomaly that they need to change. They are usually advised to be more outgoing and more sociable. To stop spending time alone and spend more time around people. This sort of admonishing arrives in two forms.The introverts who are lucky get early spates of this creed from well meaning relatives who present their diagnosis carefully and constructively, so as not to injure the tender heart of their reticent loved one. The ones who are unlucky receive theirs from bullies who demean and make fun of them for who they are. As the introvert gets older, these haunting statements become reinforced by their experiences. They begin to realize that exhibiting introverted traits presents no social benefits, giving the social dynamics existent within their society that operate in a way that favours extroversion over introversion. Some try their best to adopt extroverted traits to supplant their natural behaviors, others who can't, lapse into depression or become misanthropes; hating the world and everyone in it.

I decided to write this piece to inform introverts about the lies they have been made to believe. This writeup aims to challenge existing erroneous views and conceptions about introversion from a very unique angle.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 11:20pm On May 08, 2017
Why does an introvert need to change? Change, especially in this context, is an alteration to conform to an existing framework. So, for change to happen, there must be a direction such change needs to follow in other to arrive at a destination. And such movement is controlled by whatever initiates that change. In the case of introversion, change is initiated and controlled by the extrovert majority. The only reason an introvert needs to change is to conform to an environment that is regulated by the actions of the extrovert majority.

It's obvious that one of the reasons why Nigeria isn't moving forward is because we prioritize things of less value and stigmatize things of greater value.
A solid inviolable truth is that when the intellectual resources of a society is neglected, the society regresses. Every great development in every society has been founded upon ideas. Ideas are the vehicles that drive change. And ideas are constructed in the minds of people, and the group of people who make up a disproportionate number of the creators of ideas of lasting value, are the so called Introverts.

Believe it or not, the wealth of a country's intellectual resources are domiciled in the minds of it's introvert population. You don't agree with me? I'll prove it to you.

There have been lots of professional tests that have been carried out that have proven introversion to be directly correlated with high lQs. The more introverted a person is, the more intelligent the person is likely to be. The same goes for extroversion, which has been strongly correlated with low IQs. You still have doubts? Take the east Asians as an example. Lots of intelligence tests have been carried out that have proven them to be the race with the highest IQs. Studying the lifestyles of the Chinese or the Japanese, one would notice that they live very introverted lifestyles. Majority of east Asian population are introverted, confirming the claim of the positive correlation between introversion and high intelligence. Does anyone still have doubts? The next point should clear any doubt. Majority of the geniuses that have shaped our history and expedited the progress of our human species are Introverts. I am referring to the scientists, philosophers, thinkers and writers. All this validates the fact that the intellectual resources needed to move a society forward rests within the introvert population. If the introverts are indeed the smartest people, why then are they being oppressed by the intellectually inferior majority? Does anyone see a problem here?

Of course extroverts aren't without their own natural talents. Evidently extroverts appear to densely populate fields like entertainment, fashion and sports. These areas are useful, but not as useful as areas of science, technology, economics and politics that require the intellectual gifts of introverts. This is a hard truth to swallow, but it's the truth. Introverts make better critical thinkers and the better the quality of thought, the greater the quality of ideas. And ideas lead to reform and revolution.

So why then are we forcing introverts to change? Why are we creating environments that inhibit the materialization of the talents of introverts? How can we prioritize mindless talk, noisiness, overexcited gesticulation and restlessness over creating a conducive environment for creativity and ideas to emerge and flourish?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 9:49am On May 09, 2017
Anyone is free to contribute.
Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Cocaiine(m): 1:46pm On May 09, 2017
More introverted countries generally fare better than extroverted ones, (Sweden, USA, Britain, China etc) so I agree with your intelligence theory.

But sadly for introverts they have to adapt or at least try to be more extroverted in extroverted countries if they want to get far in life. In Nigeria for instance being introverted can barely get you anything but mockery and derision unless you are already rich or established. Nobody wants to know of you have any intelligence to contribute because they understand and accept only the behavior of the majority which is extrovertion.

Introverts just have to cope. It's unfortunate but that's the way the world is. Majority almost always wins.
Societal constructs differ and individuals either behave like Roman's when in Rome or move to another country where they fit it.

6 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 09, 2017
I don't feel any pressure to change. I have friends like me, I'm an adult, I live cordially with others.

No pressure.

4 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Fadamant: 4:21pm On May 09, 2017
Thanks, @Trudax.

It is my belief that introverts being forced to conform to the norms and standards of conduct that are created by extroverts is not peculiar to Nigeria, but a universal phenomenon.

However, introverts, just as you stated are cheifly superintelleligent people, so do not give in to accepting what the society says is correct.

Introverts even in Nigeria know themselves. We make the rules. We set the standards. No pressure to conform.

3 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Acidosis(m): 5:53pm On May 09, 2017
Stuffs an extroverted country like Nigeria has to offer are; owanbe (party) and political hooliganism.

Whoever is expecting Nigeria to be as great as South Korea, Japan and other "technologically introvert-centric advanced nations is only waiting in VAIN.

No owanbe loving nation like Nigeria excel in intelligence-related policy. So I agree with the opinions on this thread. You need to hear some Nigerians complain bitterly in countries like Germany. You don't go to parties expecting the celebrants to spend their 12 months salary on drinks and "show-off".

That's why in Nigeria you wonder why guys and ladies have suddenly developed this crazy attitude towards wedding proposal, bridal shower, baby shower, etc. I'm almost certain most of these non.sense do not exist in a country like China. Most painful aspect of it all is that a lot of extroverted Nigerians who haven't stepped out of this country suddenly embraced these useless culture because some paid yeyebrities in the US (Kardashians) who obviously belong to the minority invented such. We are talking about the same US where a lot of people are so engaged with work, trying to save up.

I wish I have the energy to expatiate using illustrative theories. See what I posted sometime ago;

Main Reason Nigerians Elect Dum.b Politicians

Ever wondered why Nigerians mostly elect du.mb politicians?

A lot of studies have demonstrated that confident people are more convincing. Many professionals have utilized this phenomenon over the years, from the estate agent you met recently, to the insurance guy, the salesman, etc. Even in relationships, check the percentage of women whose preferences are 'super' confident men...

Politicians are not unaware of this phenomenon. Some politicians upon assumption of office take it further to engage the services of public relations and media experts. The reason for that has never been about your wellbeing. So any politician that shows no sign of confidence is presumed unfit automatically by his/her party.

I know you're wondering whether being confident is good or not. Truth is that confidence remains a good trait, but hear this;

The Dunning-Kruger effect in psychology shows that less-intelligent and unintelligent people are usually incredibly confident. By contrast, more intelligent people aren’t at all confident.

Political parties are aware of this fact. They really do not care about your I.Q. Intelligent persons, to them, are bad choices.

Evidences have also emerged to show that confident persons tend to lie more, they are far from being reliable or trusted. Take a moment to ponder about the confident people around you...do you find any correlation? Those of you that have suffered severe heart breaks in your relationships, can you find any correlation?

Have you noticed their huge and mega promises, and the miserably failed attempts to keep them?

The same way women are easily drawn to that guy that draws a lot of attention, is the same manner at which Nigerians get f00led year in year out.

Note; this does not rule out the fact that there are a few intelligent persons in the political industry. But do not be deceived, the intelligence didn't take them to that position. They had to feign stup!duty to achieve success. That's why Vice President Osinbajo, a highly placed Professor of Law, had to sit in BRT buses, walk from door to door and conduct a vigil with the likes of Olamide to achieve political success. That's why a lot of sound and intelligent guys have been asked to stoop so low in order to "get" that dream girl. They tell you to go on your knees in the middle of a very busy Mall just to prove how much you love and want her. Same thing you could have done better by discussing your ideas for the future.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 09, 2017
Acidosis:
Stuffs an extroverted country like Nigeria has to offer are; owanbe (party) and political hooliganism.

Whoever is expecting Nigeria to be as great as South Korea, Japan and other "technologically introvert-centric advanced nations is only waiting in VAIN.

No owanbe loving nation like Nigeria excel in intelligence-related policy. So I agree with the opinions on this thread. You need to hear some Nigerians complain bitterly in countries like Germany. You don't go to parties expecting the celebrants to spend their 12 months salary on drinks and "show-off".

That's why in Nigeria you wonder why guys and ladies have suddenly developed this crazy attitude towards wedding proposal, bridal shower, baby shower, etc. I'm almost certain most of these non.sense do not exist in a country like China. Most painful aspect of it all is that a lot of extroverted Nigerians who haven't stepped out of this country suddenly embraced these useless culture because some paid yeyebrities in the US (Kardashians) who obviously belong to the minority invented such. We are talking about the same US where a lot of people are so engaged with work, trying to save up.

I wish I have the energy to expatiate using illustrative theories. See what I posted sometime ago;

Great contribution. I need to read up on the Dunning-kruger effect. Thanks for posting.
Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 09, 2017
Good post. As an undeniable introvert, I definitely feel pressure. I'm not only an introvert but I'm also very shy, and surrounded by extroverts. Being around people for long periods of time can so draining but one just has to adapt. I don't have a choice but to. At the end of the day I always look forward to being by myself.

Cocaiine:
More introverted countries generally fare better than extroverted ones, (Sweden, USA, Britain, China etc) so I agree with your intelligence theory.

But sadly for introverts they have to adapt or at least try to be more extroverted in extroverted countries if they want to get far in life. In Nigeria for instance being introverted can barely get you anything but mockery and derision unless you are already rich or established. Nobody wants to know of you have any intelligence to contribute because they understand and accept only the behavior of the majority which is extrovertion.

Introverts just have to cope. It's unfortunate but that's the way the world is. Majority almost always wins.
Societal constructs differ and individuals either behave like Roman's when in Rome or move to another country where they fit it.

2 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 7:42pm On May 09, 2017
@ Cocaiine

USA, an introverted country are you kidding.

@ Cocaiine & acidosis
Introverts, although struggle with confidence and social anxiety, can be very confident people if they learn to.

You all should stop with the stereotypes.

2 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Fadamant: 8:06pm On May 09, 2017
Acidosis:

Yes. That's my man putting it succinctly as always.

Unfortunately, the people who know the things we are talking here are in the minority, reason Nigeria is the way it is. The ideas that the majority work with are gotten from the media which is largely controlled by Hollywood. This majority does not know that the things they watch on television are actually to a large extent a false representation of American life.

So the question becomes, how do we get it right? Does it mean that this country is doomed?

3 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Fadamant: 8:21pm On May 09, 2017
Joavid:
@ Cocaiine

@ Cocaiine & acidosis
Introverts, although struggle with confidence and social anxiety, can be very confident people if they learn to.

@Joavid, truth be told. The US is an introvert majority country. Most developed countries actually are. In these countries, even if one is not a natural born introvert, he is encouraged by the system to have a curious mind. So they are largely thinkers.

I agree with you that not all of us (introverts) lack confidence, but we only became confident by learning to. So these are not stereotypes.

2 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Fadamant: 8:34pm On May 09, 2017
Joavid:
@ Cocaiine

@ Cocaiine & acidosis

Yes, the US is an introvert majority country just like most developed countries. In those countries even if one is not a natural born introvert, the educational system is designed in such way that he is encouraged to develop a curious mind and become and expert thinker. This is how these countries develope.

As for introverts being confident, I agree with you that introverts can be confident, but only through delibrate and purposeful efforts from that introvert. This is the reason many introverts lack confidence. So these are not steroetypes.

1 Like

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Littlefinger: 9:02pm On May 09, 2017
Why can't I be more outgoing like everyone else? I don't know if I would ever stop asking myself this question as long as I am in an extroverted society like Nigeria where I turn left, right, front, and back and everyone I see is boisterous and I seem to be the only reserved one. Family, teachers, classmates, Lecturers, coursemates, acquaintances have all adviced me to be more outgoing; I tried, indeed I did, but the more effort I put in being extroverted, the more confused and flummoxed I became about who I was. My charade didn't last for more than a month though as I just couldn't keep up with my sham which was draining me mentally, and psychologically. Became depressed for months and only the grace of God kept me strong. I promised myself never to pretend to be what I am not, but rather see my introversion as a strength rather than a weakness.

5 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 09, 2017
Hmm, I wouldn't​ necessarily call the U.S an introverted country. The appropriate term is "individualistic" b/c the U.S values individualism. It's similar but not synonymous to introversion.

Joavid:
@ Cocaiine

@ Cocaiine & acidosis

2 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Fadamant: 9:44pm On May 09, 2017
Littlefinger:
Why can't I be more outgoing like everyone else? I don't know if I would ever stop asking myself this question as long as I am in an extroverted society like Nigeria where I turn left, right, front, and back and everyone I see is boisterous and I seem to be the only reserved one. Family, teachers, classmates, Lecturers, coursemates, acquaintances have all adviced me to be more outgoing; I tried, indeed I did, but the more effort I put in being extroverted, the more confused and flummoxed I became about who I was. My charade didn't last for more than a month though as I just couldn't keep up with my sham which was draining me mentally, and psychologically. Became depressed for months and only the grace of God kept me strong. I promised myself never to pretend to be what I am not, but rather see my introversion as a strength rather than a weakness.

The answer to your opening line is in your last line. Know who you are and enforce it for yourself. Remind yourself regularly of this person. However, you also have to admit that this person needs embelishment from time to time, so you try to do that to make him a phychologically and socially balanced man. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Fadamant: 9:53pm On May 09, 2017
NotOfThis:
Hmm, I wouldn't​ necessarily call the U.S an introverted country. The appropriate term is "individualistic" b/c the U.S values individualism. It's similar but not synonymous to introversion.

You are right, here. Which is better between individualism and communalism?

I listened to a discussion on the BBC where a panel of experts looked at why Africa is poor, besides the obvious historical reasons. A former Chinese ambassador to Liberia, pointed out that one of the main reasons is our communal lifestyle and the other panelists all agreed with him. Does it then means that Africans are lazy and unproductive because we tend to depend on each other, not like the developed world, going by what they said?

1 Like

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Acidosis(m): 10:20pm On May 09, 2017
Joavid:
@ Cocaiine

@ Cocaiine & acidosis

The world is stereotypically structured.

That some introverts are less confident doesn't make them any lesser or constrained from achieving whatever they set their minds to do. An introvert doesn't need to show or prove his/her confidence level to anyone.

Adenuga, I believe is an introvert. He believes in his goals, but according to what I've read, he would rarely attend parties just to "belong" or show his "confidence". He's admittedly reserved and got nothing to prove to anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by DonOms(m): 11:05pm On May 09, 2017
The societal demand to force introverts to become extroverted transcends the shores of Nigeria and is indeed a global menace and murderer of diversity and creativity. I'll be quick to add that some more introverted countries however, do not embrace this obnoxious stereotype and has through individuality and diversity created a plethora of novel ideas.

Nigeria is a country where unfounded notions are spread like wildfire and believed as ultimate facts even in the face of alternative more reasonable ideas. It is only in Nigeria that I have seen people speak confidently of stereotype ideas without allowance of exceptions - no matter how little, and this is so sad as even the supposed elite groups are hardly exonerated.

We may speak and type all day clamouring for true change but the truth is that the Nigerian society has a long way to go. Until we leave behind hypocrisy, self-proclaimed supreme knowledge, fallacious way of thinking and selfishness, not only will we remain a backward society, we will remain globally irrelevant and keep revelling in utter ignorance.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Objectives: 11:52pm On May 09, 2017
Nice Thread, Perhaps I should share my thoughts...

The first phase of being an introvert, especially in one of the most boisterous countries on earth, is to think that there's something wrong with you, that you don't fit in, that you need some sort of Special guidance and intervention to become fulfilled and happy

The Second, is misguided acceptance of proposed solutions; random attempts to become what you're not, an extrovert;

•Going out of your way to socialise with every Tom, Dick and Levvandowski ( Sorry i'm a football fan, so that explains the Levvandowski part)

•Talking loudly and endlessly in group discussions to prove you can be a confident and likeable person [This is perhaps, the most exhausting activity an Introvert can engage in, and you'd almost always hate yourself every time it happens ]

•Trading your alone time for needless group activities [For Introverts (I speak for myself), Alone time is non-negotiable, We are very picky about where we spend our time and with whom]etc

All of these attempts will fail, simply because you're trying to be what you're not, you'd end up more frustrated and confused than you were before phase two. This is the beginning of phase three.

.. Where you gradually realize and accept that you are an introvert and it is what really works for you.

From here on, you begin to work on areas that really should be worked on,

For example, Introverts are naturally shy and find it difficult speaking in groups or in public,

You'll hardly be in groups or public activities that require you to speak, but on those few occasions, you don't want to mess things up,

Killing Shyness was the first for me, took a while really, started with talking into the mirror, recording motivational speeches of myself, maintaining eye contacts and then going straight to the point when in group or public discussions. Today, it's a lot better, back then, being in a public place where I was required to speak was like dying slowly in a never ending ghastly motor accident

If you can defeat being shy, you'll feel less out of place, it worked for me.

The Second was depression. Introverts and depression are almost inseparable (It gets better as we mature and realise the need to work on ourselves) We take things to heart a lot and if as a child, you grew up in an environment where those around you were insensitive to your temperament (In Nigeria, nobody gives a hoot what your temperament is, not even your parents, everyone expects you to act and react to all situations like the rest of the Country does) you'd have suffered a lot emotionally.

When something happens, like a disappointment, a tragedy, or anything in the line of a negative event, we tend to dwell on that thought for unbelievably long periods, thinking that we could have done something to make those situations better and that Sucks all our energy, inevitably pushing us into depression, This can happen multiple times in one week, that bad.

As I grew, and came across Zen, and it's teachings on Mindfulness [Basically about focusing deeply on the present moment alone, in a nutshell] I began to see the futility in dwelling on events and days that didn't go as Expected, What's the point? I don't get to go back and change anything. So I stopped Clinging, and started living, accepting the things that I couldn't change and Working only the ones I could. Tough path, really really tough path, considering that most introverts, like myself, are perfectionists too.

The Third, which is still, like the others, a work in progress (I believe that working on yourself is a continuous process) is dropping those things you did just to fit in and make people happy.

Introverts are often emotionally attached to those around them, and when it comes to decision making or values we'd almost always put the interests and feelings of those around us first. We hate to hurt!

But as we grow, we realise that like all human beings, there are times we have to think about what works for us first.

Again, forgive me, I have to use myself as an example,

I never liked the idea of church, but growing up, I was more emotionally sensitive than I am now, so I didn't want to hurt anyone by staying away from church.

It's different now, I simply made it known, politely, that I was okay with not going and would appreciate if my decision was respected. There's been a lot of attempts to pull me back in, but I have stood by my decision and more people are beginning to accept and live comfortably with it. To the best of my knowledge, No one has committed suicide about it.

But in dropping and picking values, or taking crucial decisions, it is important that as an introvert in Nigeria, you understand why you are moving in that direction, It's easier for you to not budge on external pressure when you really understand why you are doing or not doing something.

And then gradually, you'll begin to understand that happiness is an inside job and that you can either decide to let the outside world take it away from you or you grow a thick skin and nurture your happiness endlessly.

Growing a thick skin is necessary for the average human being, but it's twice as necessary for the Introvert in Nigeria.

It's possible living happily as Introvert in an extroverted Populace such as ours. If I found happiness, You can.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Acidosis(m): 9:50am On May 10, 2017
Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 10, 2017
Trudax:

Great contribution. I need to read up on the Dunning-kruger effect. Thanks for posting.

Hi. I really enjoy reading your posts on this site. Keep up the great work.
Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Nobody: 1:26pm On May 10, 2017
kneehighbootz:

Hi. I really enjoy reading your posts on this site. Keep up the great work.

Thanks.
Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Fesisko(m): 12:49am On May 11, 2017
thanks op. I'm really delighted to come across this post. I'm an introvert to the core. most people thinks I am un intelligent, cos I don't always involve myself in random talks.my policy is talk less and listen more; and it has helped me alot.

1 Like

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Viking007(m): 7:39am On May 11, 2017
Nice thread. smiley
Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Aaronsrod: 9:45pm On May 11, 2017
All of you talk like homosexual men.

You are weak.

The Devil is in your hearts.

Give yourselves to Jesus.
Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Michaelnsd: 3:26pm On May 27, 2017
@Aaronsrod.... You need to go and watch dumb and dumber.... A very nice dumb movie, you will see characters of your likes in that movie... I mean extremely dumb people just like you. You see introverted ppl talking about meaningful and intelligent conversations, but no, you won't heed, just go and watch dumber and dumber... Have a nice day

4 Likes

Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by tck2000(m): 11:59am On Jan 11, 2020
Why does an introvert need to change? Change, especially in this context, is an alteration to conform to an existing framework. So, for change to happen, there must be a direction such change needs to follow in other to arrive at a destination. And such movement is controlled by whatever initiates that change. In the case of introversion, change is initiated and controlled by the extrovert majority. The only reason an introvert needs to change is to conform to an environment that is regulated by the actions of the extrovert majority.

It's obvious that one of the reasons why Nigeria isn't moving forward is because we prioritize things of less value and stigmatize things of greater value.
A solid inviolable truth is that when the intellectual resources of a society is neglected, the society regresses. Every great development in every society has been founded upon ideas. Ideas are the vehicles that drive change. And ideas are constructed in the minds of people, and the group of people who make up a disproportionate number of the creators of ideas of lasting value, are the so called Introverts.

Believe it or not, the wealth of a country's intellectual resources are domiciled in the minds of it's introvert population. You don't agree with me? I'll prove it to you.

There have been lots of professional tests that have been carried out that have proven introversion to be directly correlated with high lQs. The more introverted a person is, the more intelligent the person is likely to be. The same goes for extroversion, which has been strongly correlated with low IQs. You still have doubts? Take the east Asians as an example. Lots of intelligence tests have been carried out that have proven them to be the race with the highest IQs. Studying the lifestyles of the Chinese or the Japanese, one would notice that they live very introverted lifestyles. Majority of east Asian population are introverted, confirming the claim of the positive correlation between introversion and high intelligence. Does anyone still have doubts? The next point should clear any doubt. Majority of the geniuses that have shaped our history and expedited the progress of our human species are Introverts. I am referring to the scientists, philosophers, thinkers and writers. All this validates the fact that the intellectual resources needed to move a society forward rests within the introvert population. If the introverts are indeed the smartest people, why then are they being oppressed by the intellectually inferior majority? Does anyone see a problem here?

Of course extroverts aren't without their own natural talents. Evidently extroverts appear to densely populate fields like entertainment, fashion and sports. These areas are useful, but not as useful as areas of science, technology, economics and politics that require the intellectual gifts of introverts. This is a hard truth to swallow, but it's the truth. Introverts make better critical thinkers and the better the quality of thought, the greater the quality of ideas. And ideas lead to reform and revolution.

So why then are we forcing introverts to change? Why are we creating environments that inhibit the materialization of the talents of introverts? How can we prioritize mindless talk, noisiness, overexcited gesticulation and restlessness over creating a conducive environment for creativity and ideas to emerge and flourish?
Re: Challenging Bad Ideas: Introverts In A Loud Nigerian Society. by Dammiecutie(f): 11:56am On Oct 23, 2022
This is a very informative and intelligent discussion. I’ve been slipping in and out of depression for months now without anyone knowing. This is due to societal pressure to be extroverted . I’ve learnt a lot and this is means a lot to me. Big thanks to everyone that contributed.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Am I Overreacting Or Is It Normal / I Married A Devils Incarnate: Am Been Very Sincere Nt Fables / Have You Ever Been Broke?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.