Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,917 members, 7,802,982 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Pro Gaming And Gamers - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Pro Gaming And Gamers (2996 Views)

Custom Built Gaming And Productivity PC / What's The Price Of A Used Ps3?naija Gamers,help Me Out / Serious Gamers Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pro Gaming And Gamers by caius(m): 2:47pm On May 09, 2017
Pro gaming is the next industry which is still in the nascent stage in Africa and especially Nigeria. We need to recognize this opportunity and build this industry. There is a need for us to come together and develop this based on games been one of our favourable past times. Rikinz gaming/Ara ESport is set to play her role in the development of this multi-billionaire naira industry.
Carpe diem

How to become a professional gamer

By this point, you’re probably wondering why you’ve been following a sensible career path instead of getting paid to play video games. We should all be so lucky. For the committed few, however, there’s one question to be asked: how do you actually become a professional gamer? We’d say avoid peddling a montage of your best CoD kills to Intel in hopes of a lucrative sponsorship deal. The path to eSports stardom is a long and gruelling road, and only those with heaps of time to spare have any real chance of making it in the industry.

If you live in South Korea, you can actually join a gaming house. They’re a bit like student digs, except instead of residents building elaborate beer bongs and falling asleep on dissertation textbooks, they play videogames all day (and most of the night).

Perhaps the easiest way to start building a name for yourself is competing on a website like Gamebattles. It’s an easy platform to compete against other skilled players, although you’ll need to settle on a game first (and put in plenty of hours)

If that goes well, you can enter amateur tournaments. They’re not as well publicised as the big events, so you’ll need to search a bit harder to find something local to you. And if that fails, you can always set up a Twitch stream in hopes of getting noticed that way.

If you do find yourself becoming a bit of a gaming prodigy, it could also be an easy way into higher education. Two universities in the United States are actually offering scholarships for ‘eSports athletes’. Both RObert Morris University in Chicago and the University of Pikeville in Kentucky are keen to get high-skilled League of Legends players on board.

Culled Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-are-esports-a-beginner-s-guide-to-pro-gaming#hkcTpWrx4qL7cdIx.99

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pro Gaming And Gamers by caius(m): 1:24pm On May 12, 2017
Hello my people, i just read an interesting article on pro gaming which fired me up. i believe that now is the time for stakeholders to join the movement to put Nigeria on the Pro gaming Map which SA is recognized. Rikinz gaming/Ara Esport[/i][i] is working on something. Watch out

Pro gaming may soon eclipse sports including basketball and baseball [i][/i]
Playing computer games is more than a pastime for some younger people. It’s a career.

A study by Unibet sheds new light on the phenomenon of eSports, as competitive gaming is called. Did you know that the League of Legends (multiplayer online battle arena/MOBA) final drew in more viewers than the last game of the 2016 NBA Finals (36 million vs 31 million)? Or that the total eSports prize pool exceeds $93 million?

As you can see, competitive gaming has become a serious business. Just how serious? Let’s talk numbers.

ESports viewership has been growing steadily, from 76 million occasional and 56 million frequent viewers in 2012, to a staggering 194 million and 191 million, respectively, in 2017. Statista projections take those numbers even further, expecting them to rise to 286 million and 303 million, respectively, by 2020. To put this into perspective, male millennials in the U.S. already watch eSports as much as they do baseball and ice hockey.

Along with the audience, the number of pro gamers has also been growing rapidly. In 2012, there were 4,246 of them, while in 2016 there were 13,555.

Big prizes

So we have the audience and the digital athletes — all we’re missing now are prizes. And they are generous, indeed. Winning a major golf tournament, such as the U.S. Open, can actually be less lucrative than winning Dota 2 (another MOBA tournament). Each member of the Wings Gaming team who won The International 2016 Dota 2 tournament went home with $1.83 million in prize money.

The gamer with the most money earned is Saahil Arora (gaming nickname: UNiVeRsE), a U.S. Dota 2 player who made $1.73 million in 2015, his best year. In comparison, Dustin Johnson was awarded $1.8 million for winning the 2016 U.S. Open, and Sergio Garcia, the winner of the 2017 Masters, took home $1.98 million.

From 2013 to 2016, the amount of money handed out across all eSports games more than quadrupled, from $21.4 million to $93.3 million. This year could breach the $150 million mark, an almost 100-fold increase from 2003.

Countries with the biggest winnings in 2016 were China ($19.3 million), the U.S. ($14.7 million) and South Korea ($11.9 million). If you’re thinking about becoming a pro gamer, you may be interested in seeing which games rake in the most dough:

Although Dota 2 overshadows all other games, Heroes of the Storm (released in June 2015) and Hearthstone (March 2014) have breached the top 10 and are poised to overthrow Counter-Strike by the turn of 2018.

Companies take notice

Such growth has attracted the attention of big companies like Coca-Cola Co. KO, +0.07% and Red Bull, which not only sponsored, but also worked on organizing their own events, for gamers to compete in. Other prominent sponsors include Logitech International SA LOGI, -0.29% Razer and Intel Corp. INTC, -0.08% which has been sponsoring such events for over 10 years. Sponsors pay good money to get event exposure as teams feature their insignias on their jerseys, websites and social media.

As it is with other sports, age plays a significant role in a player’s success. Historically, 25 has been the most lucrative age for professional gamers. Beyond 25, there is a big drop-off in earnings potential, with ages 31-33 marking the leanest range for gamers aged 15 or above.

College scholarships

So the next time you see your child playing computer games, think twice before saying it’s a waste of time. Gaming could get your kid into college. On April 6, the University of Utah announced it would be offering scholarships for League of Legends players, following in the footsteps of the University of California, Irvine.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

There you have it. ESports can no longer be ignored or belittled. What do you think about eSports? Would you support your child in becoming a pro gamer? Or would you yourself take the chance?
Culled from http://www.marketwatch.com/story/pro-gaming-may-soon-eclipse-sports-including-basketball-and-baseball-2017-04-22

1 Like

Re: Pro Gaming And Gamers by caius(m): 6:10pm On Jun 01, 2017
whose is interested in join a gaming club where we meet to discuss the future of this industry after some hot sizzling battles? I just read that China Just Became The Games Industry Capital Of The World by ifyan
[/code]Revenue from computer games exceeded $100 billion globally in a single year for the first time, while China has overtaken the U.S. as the "gamer capital of the world" in terms of market size, according to a report published by London-based venture capital firm Atomico[code]

Wake up Pro gamers Carpe Diem
Show interest by join whatsapp group Pro gaming 08053318089......the future awaits
Re: Pro Gaming And Gamers by ifyan(m): 11:32pm On Jun 02, 2017
I thought l was the only one that knows about the multi million dollars industry of esport.

Hmm love this

2 Likes

Re: Pro Gaming And Gamers by caius(m): 12:34pm On Jan 06, 2018
Happy new year Pro gamers ....Let's make it happen in 2018....If you are interested in joining a gaming whatsapp group 08053318089....tournaments loading......

1 Like

Re: Pro Gaming And Gamers by Noctis(m): 12:28am On Jan 07, 2018
Sad that you can't play JRPGs competitively.
Re: Pro Gaming And Gamers by Fundamentalist: 9:12am On Jan 08, 2018
caius:
Happy new year Pro gamers ....Let's make it happen in 2018....If you are interested in joining a gaming whatsapp group 08053318089....tournaments loading......

Do you have a tournament for PES Gamers
Re: Pro Gaming And Gamers by etogush: 12:26am On Jan 24, 2020
Twitch has been there for a long time. I’m surprised that people don’t discuss it here a lot.
The majority of their top users, read to buy twitch followers cheap. Others struggle to be ahead of them using free tactics, but they fail.

(1) (Reply)

Hack Your Ps Vita All Version 3.60 To 3.68 / You Really Missed A Lot If You Didn't Play This Game On Dvd / Pes 17 Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.