Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,464 members, 7,781,344 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:49 PM

Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment (41654 Views)

Wife Pours Boiling Water On Her Husband In Bayelsa For Slapping Her (Graphic) / Brother ‘sets’ Pregnant Sister Ablaze For ‘slapping’ Mum / Wife Hires Thugs To Beat Husband For Slapping Her, He Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by exlink10(m): 3:46pm On May 09, 2017
Ayodeji and Abimbola Adewakun allegedly made woman work 18-hour shifts
Couple accused of beating Iyambo Olatunji, 37, during disputes over wages
Ms Olatunji was brought to UK to look after their children at south London home
Dr Adewakun and her husband deny trafficking a person into UK for exploitation

A GP and her husband are accused of trafficking a Nigerian woman to the UK before making her work 18-hour shifts and beating her when she asked for higher wages.

Dr Ayodeji Adewakun, 44, and Abimbola Adewakun, 48, are alleged to have paid babysitter Iyambo Olatunji just £20 a week for looking after their two young children at home in Erith, south east London.

Ms Olatunji, 37, told Southwark Crown Court that she was also made to work long arduous days cleaning their house before staying late and cooking the couple dinner.

She claims that when she asked for higher wages, she was slapped by Mr and Mrs Adewakun.
Ms Olatunji, who did not have her own bank account, was originally promised a £450 monthly salary over a 15-month period, jurors heard.

The Adewakuns' first met her back in her home town of Ondo State where she was working as a secretary for the local government in return for 40,000 Nigerian naira.

After spending time working for Mr Adewakun’s pastor father as a teen ‘house-helper’ in the 1990s, she was invited to make the trip to London to work as a babysitter for the pair.

Ms Olatunji told the court Ayodeji, or ‘Aunty Ayo’, ‘said she would look after me’.

‘She said I would be fine,’ Ms Olatunji continued.

She said she would pay me money, a salary. The salary would have been higher than the one I was earning in the local government.’

The Kent-based doctor promised her new childminder £450 per month in a contract signed by the couple and Ms Olatunji which also set out a range of terms and conditions of her employment which began when she arrived in February 2004.

They included caring for couple’s two young children ‘at times agreed in advance’ during working hours ‘stipulated as Monday to Saturday’ six days per week between 7am and 5pm.
Ms Olatunji denied she was made aware of any duties expected of her outside of her babysitting role and added that she had never even had a bank account set up for her to receive her wages into.

‘I told Aunty Ayo ‘I do not have one’ but she just said ‘I have plans for you’,’ she added.

She said Ayodeji’s brother accompanied her to the British Embassy in Nigeria to get her passport and held onto it until they landed in the UK.

When she first arrived at the three-bedroom house she met the couple’s Hungarian au pair who showed her the children’s nursery, school and local park before leaving a week later with ‘a bad attitude’.

Jurors heard Dr Adewakun spotted Ms Olatunji chatting to the au pair and raged ‘Are you listening to her? She is not happy you are here because she is leaving.

‘She is not a good au pair.’

The court heard Ms Olatunji, who came to the UK with just five Nigerian Naira in her pocket, was not even treated to a t-shirt she liked during a family holiday to Euro Disney.

On their return, she claimed she was made to get up at 6am to get the children fed and off to school before tidying the home during the day and preparing meals for the evening.

‘I am not sleeping at 8pm or 9pm - it is midnight,’ said Ms Olatunji.

She recalled that the doctor and her husband sometimes did not return home from work until well after 10pm.

‘Sometimes she would speak nicely to me - 25% nice to me, 75% anger,’ Ms Olatunji said.

‘She did not pay me.

‘Both of them did not pay me, they just gave me £20 on Friday.’

She was even told a landline call to her parents back home was ‘too expensive’ and spent some of her wages on Africa Tel calling cards.

Ms Olatunji said she was slapped three times by the doctor when she asked for more money.

The first occasion, coinciding with her birthday, was documented in a diary she kept, which also detailed the lax payment schedule.

Jurors heard the babysitter wrote: ‘Aunty fight with me today.

‘She slapped my face twice.

‘The day I will never forget in my life - the first time in history that somebody has slapped my face.’

Ms Olatunji claimed she was assaulted again twice before she reported her situation to Mrs Adewakun’s mother.

Dr Adewakun and her husband Abimbola, both deny obtaining services by deception and trafficking a person into the UK for exploitation.

Mrs Adewakun further denies assaulting Ms Olatunji and two further counts of fraud and trafficking a person into the UK for exploitation in relation to a second victim.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4486082/amp/GP-husband-trafficked-Nigerian-woman-UK.html

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by sirusX(m): 3:55pm On May 09, 2017
Guess they saw cheap labour and wanted to exploit it to the max undecided

More like modern slave trade

70 Likes

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Jaabioro(m): 3:55pm On May 09, 2017
That one na traffic? The only ugly part of the story.. na d slapped..

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by lilfreezy: 4:27pm On May 09, 2017
Wickedness na them

115 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Jameynden: 4:27pm On May 09, 2017
sad sad sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by buffalowings4: 4:28pm On May 09, 2017
My people my people

Dem think dey are in osun state grin

76 Likes

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 09, 2017
Dem think say na Isale Eko dem dey for Oba of Lagoon land where they can do things with impunity

Even If Akiolu try am, he go rot in jail

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by idrisolaide(m): 4:28pm On May 09, 2017
When will our country learn from all these? This kept on bothering me as there is no hope for the Poor.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by ItsawrapOutfit: 4:28pm On May 09, 2017
Charity begins at home

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by YoungBlackRico(m): 4:28pm On May 09, 2017
They must think they are in Nigeria, awon olofo buruku.

©YBR

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 09, 2017
Though I don't support the maltreatment of workers, but the househelp shouldn't act like an ingrate. There's always 2 sides to a story and her complaint leaves so much unanswered. Is it possible that 20 pounds is all she's being paid? Really? By those who took her abroad in the first place?

It takes a lot to take someone abroad and give the person a better life, she should appreciate that. It's not like she had it better in Nigeria, so why should she bite the fingers feeding her over minor dispute.

The hardworking couple went through the stress of bringing her from Nigeria to the UK to help them babysit and keep the home, if she has issues, she should have found a way to table her complaints in a sensible way.

Most of these so-called househelps end up becoming arrogant and disloyal when they start having "london friends".

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by kanikor: 4:28pm On May 09, 2017
Lol.. Nigerians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 09, 2017
Dem think say dem dey Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by TheBlessedMAN: 4:29pm On May 09, 2017
Things to do to get famous in Abroad- break great records by becoming a singer, dancer, gymnastic, footballer etc.

Things to do to get famous in Nigeria- become a millitant, ritualist, hooligan, or just kidnapp a whole family.

Nigerians! I TIRE FOR YOU O
Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by nonxo007(m): 4:29pm On May 09, 2017
Oyibo and big English, calling importation of house girl trafficking... Thank God for Nigeria sha...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Adebayo4all: 4:29pm On May 09, 2017
oboy
Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Moreoffaith(m): 4:29pm On May 09, 2017
Nigerians and boss boss attitude, abeg make I see their face for MMA2 tmao jare.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by fatymore(f): 4:30pm On May 09, 2017
They thought it is in Nigeria.. Where you do anyhow to your house workers...

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by nwabobo: 4:30pm On May 09, 2017
exlink10:

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4486082/amp/GP-husband-trafficked-Nigerian-woman-UK.html

£20 a week? This is wickedness if the highest order. When me dey find who go fit do d job for me make I dey pay N200k into d person Naija account every month.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by adewumiopeyemi(m): 4:30pm On May 09, 2017
Na wa...
Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Nobody: 4:30pm On May 09, 2017
grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by TrapHedges(m): 4:30pm On May 09, 2017
Ndi ofe mmanu na obi ufu.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by kynbasil01: 4:30pm On May 09, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by oshe11: 4:30pm On May 09, 2017
here in Naija u cn even press her face wit hot iron n ntin go hapen....

The couple must av lived in 9ja for long

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by darfay: 4:30pm On May 09, 2017
no be naija be that where anything goes. welcome to a civil a society

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by iSegu(f): 4:30pm On May 09, 2017
Color wahala...
Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Adesege(m): 4:31pm On May 09, 2017
hmm
Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 09, 2017
Haha
They think they can try those naija stunts for UK grin grin

Na for naija dem dey slap without purnishment

Hope they learn grin

Ordinary slap ... awon mayweather grin dey should go reflect in jail tongue

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Couple In UK Arrested For Slapping Babysitter Over Salary Increment by Mynd44: 4:31pm On May 09, 2017
Jail them.

Crazy insensitive people.

11 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man 25 Arrested For Raping 85-Year-Old Great-Grandmother In Ekiti (Pictured) / Nigeria Police Killed 20 Yrs Old Girl, Shoot A Boy In Ajegunle - Rugged Man / Two Gays Arrested In Jigawa Over Homosexual Act In A Hotel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.