Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants (4102 Views)

Section 181 Of Nigeria Constitution: Death Of Governor Before Oath Of Office / Leading Contestants In Saturday's Governatorial Elections By States / Buhari, A 'Man Of Integrity', Lied Under Oath - Femi Aribisala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by paddylo1(m): 10:18pm On Jan 09, 2010
Anambra: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants

By Chukwujekwu Ilozue (Onitsha) and Joe Nwankwo (Abuja)

To ensure that next month’s governorship election in Anambra State goes smoothly, traditional rulers in the state on Friday effected a covenant through the Igbo traditional igo ofo on the contestants, as well as a curse on a candidate who goes contrary to good electoral conduct.
The event, which took place at Dr. Alex Ekwueme Square, was organised by Anambra State Free and Fair Elections Initiative led by Sir Chris Okoye. It was attended by a large crowd and about 10 governorship candidates or their representatives, including Governor Peter Obi.
Chairman of the state traditional rulers’ council and Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, said at the occasion that “igo ofo is an old but very useful custom, which has been the basis for upholding the morality of the Igbo (Nso ani). It is both prayer and a positive covenant for goodness. It is what some religion would tag an agreement prayer, a practical acceptance that something ought to be done for the ultimate and common good of the society.”
Achebe however, emphasised that it is not fetish.
He said the ceremony represents manifest commitment to a free and fair election by borrowing some effective means through which Igbo forebears attained enviable heights at home and in their vocations. It is a direct response to the yearnings for a credible election by the generality of Anambra people as clearly articulated by the Anambra Free and Fair Election Initiative, he added.
The traditional ruler of Nri, a community reputed to be the progenitor of Igbo people, His Royal Highness, Igwe Obidiegwu Onyensoh, led three other rulers from different towns to offer several prayer points as well as curses for those that disobey the rules. Among them is that no ill will befall Anambra again; that no rigging should occur in the election; that it shall not be well for a politician who sent his children abroad and use other children to effect rigging; that result of votes cast should be announced at the polling station as announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC); that there should be no forging of results of the election and that losers should gracefully accept their loss and so on. The rulers used the traditional white chalk, palm frond and native ogilisi leaves. After the igo ofo all the candidates and representatives were invited during which the rulers cleansed and blessed them and emphasised the implication of what they had just been put through.
In his address, Sir Okoye stated that Anambra is in difficult times. He recalled that since 1999, the state has endured all sorts of vicissitudes. “We had to endure exceptional trials in the wilderness. Governors have been kidnapped in this state. Public property has been destroyed and set ablaze. Efforts have been made to waste federal allocations made to Anambra State, to foment faction-fighting in our streets, to render the state ungovernable, to make democratic elections in the state meaningless exercises.
Okoye said: “As we go out on February 6, 2010 to elect the man who will pilot our affairs in the next four years, there are some critical questions which we must ask ourselves.”
The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) in a statement, however, said that so far the campaign by most governorship candidates has progressed with decorum, tolerance and respect for one another. The statement signed by the chairman, Tochukwu Udoji, also added that the NUJ in partnership with Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Anambra Rebirth and the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) will monitor the election and ensure that it is free and fair. The occasion attracted hundreds of traditional rulers from all over the state.
Among the candidates who attended the ceremony are Governor Peter Obi, Governorship candidate of Nigeria Advanced Party (NAP) Mrs. Njideka Anyadike, while AC was represented by the deputy governorship candidate, Agbasi. Other deputy governorship candidates that attended were Ken Nwuba of the National Conscience Party (NCP), Okechukwu Emmanuel of United Democratic Party (UDP), Patrick Egolum of All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), Obiefuna Nwandu of the African Democratic Party (ADC), Jasper Azodo of African Liberation Party (ALP) and Chukwuemeka Nnonyelu of the Congress for Democratic Change (CDC).
Both Obi and Anyadike commended the ceremony and agreed it would have some impact on the election.

Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has made good its threat to deal with its members that have defected to other political parties as it asked the National Vice Chairman of the party in the south east zone, Olisa Metu and the Chairman of the Caretaker Committee in Anambra State, Osita Ogbu, to ensure that the names of Dr. Andy Uba, Nicholas Ukachukwu and Uche Ekwunife are deregistered as members of the party. . . . contd

http://www.independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=6597
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by paddylo1(m): 10:19pm On Jan 09, 2010
i guess any thing that works to keep these knuckle head politicians civil is a plus
what y'll think?
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 10:39pm On Jan 09, 2010
paddy_lo:

Anambra: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants

By Chukwujekwu Ilozue (Onitsha) and Joe Nwankwo (Abuja)

To ensure that next month’s governorship election in Anambra State goes smoothly, traditional rulers in the state on Friday effected a covenant through the Igbo traditional  igo ofo on the contestants, as well as a curse on a candidate who goes contrary to good electoral conduct.
The event, which took place at Dr. Alex Ekwueme Square, was organised by Anambra State Free and Fair Elections Initiative led by Sir Chris Okoye. It was attended by a large crowd and about 10 governorship candidates or their representatives, including Governor Peter Obi.
Chairman of the state traditional rulers’ council and  Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe, said at the occasion that “igo ofo is an old but very useful custom, which has been the basis for upholding the morality of the Igbo (Nso ani). It is both prayer and a positive covenant for goodness. It is what some religion would tag an agreement prayer, a practical acceptance that something ought to be done for the ultimate and common good of the society.”

Igwe Achebe, dalu ezigbo nna anyi. Customs like these should be strengthened for the benefit of our people. We need to use these to drive away all the ufu (the foxes, the jackals and hyenas) from Igboland.

He said the ceremony represents manifest commitment to a free and fair election by borrowing some effective means through which Igbo forebears attained enviable heights at home and in their vocations. It is a direct response to the yearnings for a credible election by the generality of Anambra people as clearly articulated by the Anambra Free and Fair Election Initiative, he added.

True talk Igwe. We need to claim our culture back!

The traditional ruler of Nri, a community reputed to be the progenitor of Igbo people, His Royal Highness, Igwe Obidiegwu Onyensoh, led three other rulers from different towns to offer several prayer points as well as curses for those that disobey the rules. Among them is that no ill will befall Anambra again; that no rigging should occur in the election; that it shall not be well for a politician who sent his children abroad and use other children to effect rigging; that result of votes cast should be announced at the polling station as announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC); that there should be no forging of results of the election and that losers should gracefully accept their loss and so on. The rulers used the traditional white chalk, palm frond and native  ogilisi leaves. After the  igo ofo all the candidates and representatives were invited during which the rulers cleansed and blessed them and emphasised the implication of what they had just been put through.   

I pity anyone who belittles or makes mockery of this ritual. His/her entire family and lineage risks being wiped out by those curses. This ritual led by Eze Nri is very very very old! The ofo by eze nri is the oldest in Igboland. That is why you didn't see the PDP or PPA candidates represented there.

Represented candidates:

[b]Among the candidates who attended the ceremony are Governor Peter Obi, Governorship candidate of Nigeria Advanced Party (NAP) Mrs. Njideka Anyadike, while AC was represented by the deputy governorship candidate, Agbasi. Other deputy governorship candidates that attended were Ken Nwuba of the National Conscience Party (NCP), Okechukwu Emmanuel of United Democratic Party (UDP), Patrick Egolum of All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), Obiefuna Nwandu of the African Democratic Party (ADC), Jasper Azodo of African Liberation Party (ALP) and Chukwuemeka Nnonyelu of the Congress for Democratic Change (CDC).

My people have finally started to get serious with this election. Woe betide anyone who dares to rig it! Ofo!!!
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by blacksta(m): 10:46pm On Jan 09, 2010
Swearing a pact with the devil - and they wonder when evil takes over the state.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 11:01pm On Jan 09, 2010
blacksta:

Swearing a pact with the devil  - and they wonder when evil takes over the state.

The devil is not represented in this ritual. Take a close look and see whether INEC, PDP and PPA are represented. The most educated among us know that these things are the only time tested ways to mete out real consequences for evil acts. Since we did away with them, our land has become like somalia. We must claim our land back! All the thieves and devils of Igboland go by the title of "sirs" conveyed on them by churches, and when we go to bed, they invite their father -the devil- in the middle of the night to share the loot.
We need much more of these types of oaths administered on all our representatives in the future.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by paddylo1(m): 11:03pm On Jan 09, 2010
I pity anyone who belittles or makes mockery of this ritual. His/her entire family and lineage risks being wiped out by those curses. This ritual led by Eze Nri is very very very old! The ofo by eze nri is the oldest in Igboland. That is why you didn't see the PDP or PPA candidates represented there.

yes i wonder why soludo or andy uba didnt bother to show up. . .
they should for the sake of clarity go and partake of this oath

Swearing a pact with the devil  - and they wonder when evil takes over the state.

if not for the fact that i am in a good mood i would have called u a fool,an slowpoke suffering from colo-mentality
a knucklehead and a idi*ot

but since am happy i wont call u that. . cheesy
however do not repeat calling the customs,traditions and omenana of my ancestors evil. . .
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by blacksta(m): 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

The devil is not represented in this ritual. Take a close look and see whether INEC, PDP and PPA are represented. The most educated among us know that these things are the only time tested ways to mete out real consequences for evil acts. Since we did away with them, our land has become like somalia. We must claim our land back! All the thieves and devils of Igboland go by the title of "sirs" conveyed on them by churches, and when we go to bed, they invite the devil in the middle of the night to share the loot.
We need much more of these types of oaths administered on all our representatives in the future.

Please advice when swearing at shrine became a part of the constitution of Nigeria or part of the electoral act I actually commend INEC, PDP AND PPA for not attending such nonsensical event - Where were the so called gods when kidnapping and armed robbery was rampant
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 11:11pm On Jan 09, 2010
paddy_lo:

I won't say that I'm surprised that they didn't show up. Those guys don't plan on playing fair in this election.
This ritual by these traditional leaders of Anambra state is the first real sign I have seen so far that Anambra people are serious about stopping rigging in Anambra state. Anyone who participates in this oath risks bringing generations of curses on his/her family if he/she rigs, and since Ndigbo are now more aware of the consequences of curses, anyone who plans to rig this election won't show up. You can take that to the bank.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by asha80(m): 11:12pm On Jan 09, 2010
@paddylo

is your home town lagos?
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by blacksta(m): 11:14pm On Jan 09, 2010
paddy_lo:

if not for the fact that i am in a good mood i would have called u a fool,an slowpoke suffering from colo-mentality

but since am happy i wont call u that. . cheesy
however do not repeat calling the customs,traditions and omenana of my ancestors evil. . .

Myself i dey good mood  - i would  have called u  mumu ,primitive id iot , but as i am also in a good mood  - i will resist the temptation.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 11:15pm On Jan 09, 2010
blacksta:

Please advice when swearing at shrine became a part of the constitution of Nigeria or part of the electoral act  I actually commend INEC, PDP AND PPA  for not attending such nonsensical event  -

Is rigging elections part of the Nigerian Constitution Don't people rig them anyway?
Is stealing and pillaging of public coffers legal and constitutional? Don't politicians steal anyway?

Where were the so called gods when kidnapping and armed robbery was rampant
Did kidnappers and armed robbers take any oaths not to embark on their stock and trade?
Please be logical. I hate arguing with illogical people.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by bawomolo(m): 11:17pm On Jan 09, 2010
lol@placing a curse on contestant.

yeah that would stop election malpractice.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 11:19pm On Jan 09, 2010
As a follow up, these rituals are COVENANTS, they are not really enforced by any gods, but by the collective will of the people. If any of those participants in the oath go contrary to it, I for example, as an Anambra man, can pray to God and ask for vengeance and anything I wish upon them will happen. Even whites (whom we copy) understand this universal truth.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by oderemo(m): 11:21pm On Jan 09, 2010

the first understatement of the year. lmao cool cool
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by blacksta(m): 11:27pm On Jan 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

As a follow up, these rituals are COVENANTS, they are not really enforced by any gods, but by the collective will of the people. If any of those participants in the oath go contrary to it, I for example, as an Anambra man, can pray to God and ask for vengeance and anything I wish on them will happen. Even whites (whom we copy) understand this universal truth.

So what will happen if i dont take the oath and win the election by rigging? Who will punish me?
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 11:31pm On Jan 09, 2010

Among them is that no ill will befall Anambra again; that no rigging should occur in the election; that it shall not be well for a politician who sent his children abroad and use other children to effect rigging;

This is the heart of the covenant.

blacksta:

So what will happen if i dont take the oath and win the election by rigging? Who will punish me?

At least we would know that you are a thief ab initio and resist you on the polling day by other means. If you still win, we would make like HELL for your administration of thieves! angry
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jan 09, 2010
Satan hav taken over Nigeria.Instead of going to God for success they went to a shrine.No wonder d country has refused to make progress
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 11:34pm On Jan 09, 2010
It is our own list of persons of interest or terrorist list. Anyone who failed to participate in this oath goes straight into that list! angry
Gone are the days when people carry bible on one hand like OBJ did in 1999 and rig elections with the other hand. Two weeks into their rule they declare bazaars!
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 11:40pm On Jan 09, 2010
Of course this is not all we need to do to guarantee free and fair elections on February 6, there are other things we must do, however, this is certainly a very important step to demonstrate our seriousness about having a free and fair poll.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by paddylo1(m): 12:10am On Jan 10, 2010
@paddylo

is your home town lagos?

why do u ask?. . . .
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by asha80(m): 12:19am On Jan 10, 2010
Your website in your profile saya so.^^^
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by ChinenyeN(m): 1:44am On Jan 10, 2010
This is a welcomed development.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by naijaway(m): 1:47am On Jan 10, 2010
Traditional rulers should run for election if they are intrested. They are all crooks and obstructionist.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 2:00am On Jan 10, 2010
naijaway:

Traditional rulers should run for election if they are intrested. They are all crooks and obstructionist.

They are playing the role our tradition and culture assigned to them. Eze nri [/b]is a priestly title and is the custodian of Igbo staff of justice and retribution -[b]the ofo.

We don't need them in elective positions. Unless if you are among those advocating chaos amidst an "all-is-guilty"
chicanery. All cannot be guilty. Someone steals votes and money, others don't.  We must isolate them by throwing down the gauntlet. Anyone who avoids this real covenant with the people of Anambra state is a thief! An Ekperima!
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by paddylo1(m): 3:05am On Jan 10, 2010
Your website in your profile saya so.^^^

basically i was born and raised in lagos. . .but am from the east
i can speak yoruba and igbo. . .
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by metalgong5(m): 3:17am On Jan 10, 2010
Onlytruth:

They are playing the role our tradition and culture assigned to them. Eze nri [/b]is a priestly title and is the custodian of Igbo staff of justice and retribution -[b]the ofo.

We don't need them in elective positions. Unless if you are among those advocating chaos amidst an "all-is-guilty"
chicanery. All cannot be guilty. Someone steals votes and money, others don't. We must isolate them by throwing down the gauntlet. Anyone who avoids this real covenant with the people of Anambra state is a thief! An Ekperima!

Thanks alot for educating some ignorant folks who dont know their limits.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by AloyEmeka3: 3:40am On Jan 10, 2010
Can we place curses on all Nigerian politicians who steal our money without their consent?
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 4:03am On Jan 10, 2010
Aloy`Emeka:

Can we place curses on all Nigerian politicians who steal our money without their consent?

We need to swear them in by these types of covenants. If they refuse to be sworn in that way, they must never be allowed to take office, simple. These covenants carry African curses and have been known to wipe out lineages and generations of fraudulent participants. Africans are careless and are ignominious of their own culture. I bet you that if you do a thorough anthropological and sociological research, you will likely find that some families have been wiped out by these types of oaths taken in the days before we threw our culture overboard for foreign things we hardly understand.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Onlytruth(m): 4:17am On Jan 10, 2010
I know for instance that when I was a kid, Christmas period was a real festive season in my town. People returned from far and near. We as kids played kiddish masquerades on Christmas day and went from house to house dancing and being "dashed" money. grin
We went on Christmas carols from 7 in the evening to about 5 am going from house to house. During the new yam festival, you went to church on Sunday, returned and put on your masquerade "mkpala" and "udo" chasing around girls and pretending to scare people grin
There was no kidnapping, no rapes, no money rituals, and you never feared that your neighbor could poison your kids!
Today,we have churches at every short distance, and yet, all the fun in our land is gone! Kidnappers and thieves and all types of evil pervading the land. Meanwhile people go to church and acquire titles like sirs.
Part of our soul searching must start with understanding that we should not throw away the baby with the bath water. Igbo culture is evolutionary. That is why we stopped sacrificing twins and throwing away folks with certain ailments. However, we must recall all the good things we had before colonization in order to even stand a real chance for success. I say swear them by the most powerful groups of ofos in Igboland! cool
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by ifecoker: 7:00am On Jan 10, 2010
Latter we go say make US no put our name 4 list! What is this country turning to? Let wait till then. Best wishes 2u all.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by chidichris(m): 9:50am On Jan 10, 2010
the truth is that even our jujus are corrupt.
if this is not funny, who among these candidates did not get his ticket through the fraudulent means?
if these jujus will be effective, anambra will be turn into a burial ground because the candidates are already involved in corrupt electorial practices and will do same in future to be successful in the election.
i do not know how they organised the oath, if i was there or in charge, i will concentrate more on outsiders will come to destroy the people of anambra by trying to impose candidates on them. i will tell the juju to kill more of those outsiders will come into anambra to rig the election but the big question is, how effective will this oath be.
i will confirm the effectiveness of this juju if prof iwu, obj, pdp chairman and all those who have sworn to take anambra by all means die.
Re: Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants by Okijajuju1(m): 9:56am On Jan 10, 2010
chidichris:

the truth is that even our jujus are corrupt.

ALUUU!!! angry angry angry shocked

CHIDI!! You no dey fear?!

May the gods forgive you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Leadership Failure: I Saw "74 Missed Calls"&20 Text Mgs On My Phone This Morning / Okorocha's Speech!!! Inspiring And Best Amongst All 5 Candidates / Gov. Amaechi Arrives Abuja To Demand For His 30 Pieces Of Silver!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.