Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution (16685 Views)

Ayo Animashaun Vs Heritage Bank: Bank Seized Hip TV Ceo's Properties / Marvis Marshal-Idio Wins Heritage Bank's Next Titan, Gets N5m/Car (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by tzargeemedia: 10:48pm On May 09, 2017
[img]https://2.bp..com/-ccZ7_qJvnpA/WRBO22dmOhI/AAAAAAAAARs/0BC4ldXXNgUNyQcLOg4zvFcvdEBJO5rYQCLcB/s1600/IMG_1841-1.jpg[/img]

No doubt, Big Brother Naija, the controversial lifestyle TV reality show is about the biggest trending phenomenon on Nigerian social media in 2017.

Despite mixed reactions from various quarters of the society, concerning morality and immorality of the show, should one say that the immorality carried the day as it appears that a staggering number of Nigerian youths expressed their passion for the show as they pour in votes in torrents for their favourite housemates.

The show which lasted for about 11 weeks probably gave the organisers a hard time sieving out sponsors because the show was now glaringly the best avenue to get into the minds of the millions of youths obsessed with it, and as expected it will be an avenue for popular brands even the controversial ones to wash themselves clean in the eyes of the public by advertising.

Interestingly, the organisers who started with only one major sponsor, PayPorte, ended the show with several big name sponsors including the Nigerian Breweries, Indomie Noodles, Routos, to name but just a few.

Therefore, it wasn't a big surprise when Heritage Bank Nigeria Plc started placing commercials on the show. You couldn't miss the bank's superfluous TVC. Although several people didn't hesitate to register their dislikes whenever the commercial came up, as viewers often blasts the producers of the TVC of lacking creativity, because the first few seconds of the TVC looks like an advert for Gulder Ultimate Search.

Here was a bank which hitherto had been engulfed in all sorts of messy controversies and drama in the last couple of months and many Nigerians, based on feedbacks on social media and in the real world have continued to question the safety of their hard earned money with the bank.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-1KCNwNZNLMk/WRBUIu9J9hI/AAAAAAAAAR8/M6iLQWg5ofwTwvweAdCAOTiGyhUvgnVuQCLcB/s1600/IMG_20170508_121322_210.jpg[/img]

Even in March, just while the BBNaija show was ongoing, the bank was accused in many Nigerian media outlets to have taken unprecedented step against one its executive directors, Mary Akpobome, who happens to be the wife of popular Nigerian comedian Ali Baba. Ali Baba's wife was reportedly suspended for signing off on some loans running into millions of Naira belonging to depositors. Heritage Bank which has been said to be facing difficulties arising from insider abuse and self-dealing, was reported to have sent her on the indefinite suspension to recover the loans.

Allegations of unwholesome dealings against top executives of Heritage bank didn't just start today, Akinsola Akinfemiwa, founding chief executive of another controversial bank, Skye Bank who is now the chairman of Heritage Bank; was not too long ago in a legal mess over a failed deal he allegedly dabbled into in the year 2000 and other other unethical banking practices all while he was the Managing Director of Prudent Bank.

Heritage Bank Nigeria Plc, which was only in November 2016 allegedly stuck in a debilitating liquidity situation; was reported to being unable to meet customers’ immediate withdrawal requests and therefore had to wipe out all foreign currency domiciliary accounts through physical theft of cash by the bank's directors. The bank was therefore widely reported to be undergoing distress. Of course one does not expect any bank to admit such. However, various feedbacks from their customers testified the bank to be facing all sorts of issues such as the ability to deposit huge amount of money in their accounts but when it was time to take back all their money, there is one story or another from the bank. This was apart from the many ridiculous complaints about their Automatic Teller Machines nationwide, amongst other shocking anomalies.

First Bank Plc, which handles Heritage Bank's universal clearing activities, was said to have threatened to blacklist the bank and stop further clearing transactions if its outstanding deficit of over N5billion is not cleared.

Much more disturbing is the widely spread allegations against Heritage Bank that it was in a connival with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to cover up its insolvency state.

From mass retrenchment of its staffs to inability to pay salaries and selling of one office property to pay rent of another, Heritage bank wallowed in the pool of its own vomit all through late 2016.

It would be recalled that only around March this year also, an Abuja company petitioned the Federal High Court and the Central Bank of Nigeria to liquidate the bank on account of its inability to meet customers’ demands.

Geonel Integrated Services Limited, a security services company, claimed it has over N1.8billion and another $85,859 trapped in various Heritage Bank accounts.

The timeline of Heritage Bank's controversies and scandals are inexhaustible and the financial institution has continued to embark on what is seen in some quarters as desperate PR moves in the hope of appearing like a saint of a bank in the eye of the public.

And it has of course found what it probably think is the most veritable tool for the task-Big Brother Naija.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-RWN38tT_YBA/WRBWQON34hI/AAAAAAAAASI/Y7xAtktYr_I_hFZ_b49f2fvs6aBKID-KACLcB/s1600/IMG_1839-1.jpg[/img]

Weeks after the show has ended, Heritage Bank determined to milk it dry of all image laundry opportunities continues to lavish money to host the different housemates at its headquarters. You would think Heritage Bank is the main sponsor of the show.

If it's not "Heritage Bank Has Breakfast With Big Brother Naija Housemates" today, then it will be "Heritage Bank Empowers BBNaija Housemates" tomorrow. The Bank has sort of become a second home of the housemates as it has refused to move on from the Big Brother Naija fever and quit the unnecessary spendings on Big Brother Naija. Even PayPorte which was the main sponsor has long stopped the funfare.

This "crying more than the bereaved" attitude of Heritage Bank didn't just start after Big Brother ended, the Bank has been in the habit of holding multiple meetings with evicted housemates while the show was still airing. Gifty was spotted at the banks headquarters on different occasions and what for? To create a news for traffic hungry bloggers to feed on! As earlier mentioned, the bank appeared to have found a most effective tool to distract the public from its many issues!

Even on the show, Heritage Bank made it presence seen by taking over a few of the show's segment aside the incessant TVC, but will somebody please tell Heritage bank that there is far more to good and trusted banking services than just pumping money on adverts to brainwash sentimental section of the society?

Instead of Heritage Bank's to channel the last few drops of cash in its reportedly drying purse into reviving its business, the bank, as earlier accused in the media last year is obviously proving itself to believe more in false PR and patching up to create an appearance of non-existent solidity instead of finding a long lasting solution to its mountains of problems.

In the next coming months, Heritage Bank has another opportunity and time to get its acts together in the committee of Nigeria banks before the next BBNaija audition kicks off, however rather than shaping up or finally get shaped out of the Nigerian banking system, it won't be any surprise if the bank is already waiting for BBNaija 2018 for more 'patching up' opportunity 'based on logistics'.

http://www.splendormag.com/2017/05/heritage-bank-bbnaija-wasteful-ways-of.html

3 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by edymonte: 10:59pm On May 09, 2017
Very useless bank. This was exactly my thought. how could Heritage bank that is gradually drowning sponsor such an intensive capital show. Nawa o.

9 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Ndlistic(m): 11:16pm On May 09, 2017
Heritage bank? Nonsense bank wasting money they don't have on frivolities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Dotwillis1(m): 11:17pm On May 09, 2017
wetin concern Efe undecided ... 25m dey breath for him account

1 Like

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by realestniggah: 11:34am On May 11, 2017
the expert yaff come

1 Like

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by aleeyus(m): 11:34am On May 11, 2017
HB BANK

1 Like

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by brunofarad(m): 11:34am On May 11, 2017
Ok

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by jayriginal: 11:34am On May 11, 2017
All this writeup for what exactly?

38 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Lilaex: 11:34am On May 11, 2017
angry angry
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by wakes: 11:35am On May 11, 2017
kai
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Sirpaul(m): 11:35am On May 11, 2017
Virus detected please FORMAT!....
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Lilaex: 11:36am On May 11, 2017
Abeg e taya me too. I wan read am go write exams
jayriginal:
All this writeup for what exactly?

5 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by bedspread: 11:36am On May 11, 2017
BROS QUIZ COMPETITION AND EDUCATIONAL STUFFS DOES NOT SELL IN NIGERIA....
NA unclothedness AND BOOBS DE SELL ....
ITS THE MADNESS WHICH WE FIND OURSELVES...
NO BLAME HERITAGE BANK...
THEM NO ONE LOSE
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by sunnysunny69(m): 11:36am On May 11, 2017
too long to read
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by ChiefSweetus: 11:38am On May 11, 2017
And the Manager that signed off on this branding/ corp comm foolishness will be answering "yes sir" when subordinates greet him/her in the morning.

Heritage = MMM Bank.

3 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by eleojo23: 11:42am On May 11, 2017
Heritage bank can keep spending millions anyhow as long as my #100 wey remain for that bank remains intact grin

2 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by samtee37(m): 11:42am On May 11, 2017
Wetin concern me...... Their money, their life, their e biz

Make I dey pretend sleep dey go jor

3 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by kevoh(m): 11:42am On May 11, 2017
Sponsored write up jare , abeg carry your bad belle dey go angry angry angry What is bad if Heritage Bank decided to capitalise on the massive popularity of BBNaija to do some PR damage control! angry angry

21 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by fatymore(f): 11:42am On May 11, 2017
I was here
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by warribond: 11:43am On May 11, 2017
If na to ask this YEYE bank for Business loan them go tell you no money to loan out but they are financing immorality shows.SMH for them...i can promise them if i see anybody that wants to open account with them i will divert them i swear..stupid bank

9 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by charles009(m): 11:46am On May 11, 2017
Your write up was largely unedited, use of heritage bank was strikingly alarming. Note this next time..

1 Like

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Goldenheart(m): 11:57am On May 11, 2017
undecided E get any bank wey no dey mumu for NAIJA?
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by kolafolabi(m): 12:00pm On May 11, 2017
Blah blah blah blah... Looking forward to 2018 Big Brother Naija show.

2 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Bants(m): 12:00pm On May 11, 2017
Rubbish abeg wetin all these banks dey finance if not politicians and rich gang...small businesses are suffering

1 Like

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by ritux: 12:34pm On May 11, 2017
If I should start writing about my experiences in this bank within the last 4 months, I wont stop today..

The most annoying one was when I wanted to withdraw 3.5million cash. They told me I cannot withdraw more than 3M and if I must, I will be charged some huge percentage of this amount which was crazy.

I decided to write another cheque to withdraw 2.980M. The next excuse was that they are expecting cash and they can only pay me 1m. I took the 1m and decided to try other branches. I went to about 5 branches but could not get the balance. The worse of all was when I was told in a branch that they can only pay me 50k. I was like wtf.

I decided to go back to the main branch which is their regional office. What I did was to write a cheque when I see anybody depositing more than 100k. Only when it was 3:55pm almost closing time that they decided to pay me the balance because no other customer could access the back after 4pm.

3 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by holluphemydavid(m): 12:50pm On May 11, 2017
and dey aswell payin dere staff huge amount of money

1 Like

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by oluspicy: 12:52pm On May 11, 2017
Am not surprise at all. The banking sector has really gone wayward from their primary assignments instead spending customers money on unprofitable PR (BBNaija). It seems Heritage Bank cannot distinguish between Bank profitability and liquidity.

Even the CBN as a whole has failed woefully in monitoring and policy implementation unlike before.

Banking and Finance course was once a sought for in those days, but reverse is the case nowadays.

May God heal our dear country, Nigeria.
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by sahapost: 12:52pm On May 11, 2017
I suspect the Op to be a formal staff of HB. He is just being too jealous with his crap write-up. Na wetin concern you if dey spend their money for BBNaija Abeg park well!!!!

9 Likes

Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Einl(m): 1:12pm On May 11, 2017
Banking is based on confidence.
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 11, 2017
smiley
Re: Heritage Bank, BBNaija & Wasteful Ways Of A 'Sinking' Financial Institution by Neldrizzy(m): 1:21pm On May 11, 2017
Their money Na their own.

Go make urs

(1) (2) (Reply)

CBN Alerts Nigerians On Counterfeit Notes In Circulation / Lotto House Of Success , Ghana ,premier And Golden Chance Lotto. / Can I Sell My House To Invest In Business ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.