Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,917 members, 7,806,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Who Is Watching "American Gods" - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Who Is Watching "American Gods" (28107 Views)

Download American Gods Season 01 - Episode 05 / Igbo Language Spoken In The Hit New TV Series, "American Gods" / The New Series American Gods S1e02 Is A Must Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Akanniade(m): 7:40pm On May 15, 2017
dragonking3:
Actually, the goddess bilquis in American gods is also a yoruba goddess. Bilquis is also termed to be the queen of Sheba.
The only question I have is what exactly is her power.
The book and show exploits the arabic/islamic myth that she swallows men through her vagina.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by siempere(m): 8:52pm On May 15, 2017
Kinda hard to understand these scenes....maybe ill have to read d book...i've had it on my fone for ages anyway...
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Akanniade(m): 9:32pm On May 15, 2017
siempere:
Kinda hard to understand these scenes....maybe ill have to read d book...i've had it on my fone for ages anyway...
The writer tries to weave superstition , mythical account of various cultures that found its way to america.
For example in episode 3, two old gods were introduced; anubis of the egyptian underworld who brings the dead for judgement and ifrit an arabian djinn. The 2 xters went out of their way to remain relevant in a world where tech boy and media- new gods were taking over.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Akanniade(m): 9:35pm On May 15, 2017
The show storyline is non linear as many may be used to. It fully follows the book in a brilliant way.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking3: 9:47pm On May 15, 2017
Akanniade:

The book and show exploits the arabic/islamic myth that she swallows men through her vagina.
Well, I disagree.
The Islamic myth never termed her to use her vagina to swallow men.

Also, in the TV series, the gods being portrayed here are all traditional gods and not religious gods. Eg, Odin, Anasi, Bilquis, Anubis, even the leprechaun guy are all traditional gods worshiped by traditional people that came to America.

So it is more of old gods(traditional gods) vs new gods (modern gods)

1 Like

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking3: 9:53pm On May 15, 2017
Gmajor:

Yup.
though the call it Mr Nancy
The Nancy part is from Anancy (Anasi).
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking3: 9:54pm On May 15, 2017
Pangea:
Gay s.ex alert, episode 3 is disgusting
That part was very disgusting. Must they bring gay stuff to TV series?
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Pangea: 4:54am On May 16, 2017
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Akanniade(m): 6:27am On May 16, 2017
dragonking3:
Well, I disagree.
The Islamic myth never termed her to use her vagina to swallow men.

Also, in the TV series, the gods being portrayed here are all traditional gods and not religious gods. Eg, Odin, Anasi, Bilquis, Anubis, even the leprechaun guy are all traditional gods worshiped by traditional people that came to America.

So it is more of old gods(traditional gods) vs new gods (modern gods)
Dont get me wrong. I am not trying to slight the Islamic religion, but you will agree there are fantasies even in mainstream religions by false gospels or hadiths. For example 'bel and the dragon' a biblical aprochypa book is mostly fantasies.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking3: 6:58am On May 16, 2017
Akanniade:

Dont get me wrong. I am not trying to slight the Islamic religion, but you will agree there are fantasies even in mainstream religions by false gospels or hadiths. For example 'bel and the dragon' a biblical aprochypa book is mostly fantasies.
I know that you aren't slighting the Islamic religion however, all the old gods are traditional gods not religious. Eg Odin is a Viking god, Anasi is Ghanaian traditional god, Anubis is an ancient Egyptian god etc.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Akanniade(m): 11:24am On May 16, 2017
dragonking3:
I know that you aren't slighting the Islamic religion however, all the old gods are traditional gods not religious. Eg Odin is a Viking god, Anasi is Ghanaian traditional god, Anubis is an ancient Egyptian god etc.
What you call religion still has their pagan origin, but thats another kettle of fish entirely.
The book and show didnt feature a christain 'god' but the e03 dialogue involved reference to different 'jesus'- black jesus, white jesus, swarthy greek jesus, mexican jesus doing well across america. They even jested that the hispanic jesus swam across the border to get to america.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking3: 11:52am On May 16, 2017
Akanniade:

What you call religion still has their pagan origin, but thats another kettle of fish entirely.
The book and show didnt feature a christain 'god' but the e03 dialogue involved reference to different 'jesus'- black jesus, white jesus, swarthy greek jesus, mexican jesus doing well across america. They even jested that the hispanic jesus swam across the border to get to america.
Yeah, I get your point, jesus was only mentioned but wasnt featured. Why? Simply because this battle is between old pagan gods vs modern day gods.
I even believe that they just wanted to take a swipe against christianity as usual. Jesus or all the jesuses according to the series are still being worshipped till date, meaning they have massive followers and hence are very powerful. the jesuses are still as powerful as the modern gods so why didnt odin(wednesday) approach jesus for help? It looks nice in a christian perspective that odin a powerful god is meeting jesus for help. but remember that this show wasnt created only for christains, hence i believe they are trying their best to narrow i down to strickly traditional gods vs modern gods.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 16, 2017
dragonking3:
Yeah, I get your point, jesus was only mentioned but wasnt featured. Why? Simply because this battle is between old pagan gods vs modern day gods.
I even believe that they just wanted to take a swipe against christianity as usual. Jesus or all the jesuses according to the series are still being worshipped till date, meaning they have massive followers and hence are very powerful. the jesuses are still as powerful as the modern gods so why didnt odin(wednesday) approach jesus for help? It looks nice in a christian perspective that odin a powerful god is meeting jesus for help. but remember that this show wasnt created only for christains, hence i believe they are trying their best to narrow i down to strickly traditional gods vs modern gods.

Sorry oo...I'm not really getting the movie...sometimes I just get lost.... one minute the movie is about shadow and Wednesday and the other cast...next thing something unrelated just comes up...example: a scene about one Muslim dude and a genie doing some gayy shiiit...another scene about how a woman died and her heart was removed and scaled against a feather before being sent into one of the 5 great doors before her....
Really wats the correlation btw these scenes cos me I don't understand?
From ur last few sentence, are u saying shadow is Jesus in the movie??
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Gmajor(m): 8:24pm On May 16, 2017
siempere:
I wouldn't advice that.
I remember when I watched the first season of the magicians, I really liked it. when I found out that it was an adaptation of a novel, I quickly downloaded the trilogy and read them all.

when I was through with the novel, I was totally disillusioned. the series paled in comparison to the novel. from that point onwards, I started hating the series

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Akanniade(m): 9:00pm On May 16, 2017
Gmajor:

I wouldn't advice that.
I remember when I watched the first season of the magicians, I really liked it. when I found out that it was an adaptation of a novel, I quickly downloaded the trilogy and read them all.

when I was through with the novel, I was totally disillusioned. the series paled in comparison to the novel. from the point onwards, I started hating the series
Very true for most tv adapted books, but trust me this one is different. You will enjoy the show better if you read the book.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Akanniade(m): 9:06pm On May 16, 2017
1StopRudeness:

Sorry oo...I'm not really getting the movie...sometimes I just get lost.... one minute the movie is about shadow and Wednesday and the other cast...next thing something unrelated just comes up...example: a scene about one Muslim dude and a genie doing some gayy shiiit...another scene about how a woman died and her heart was removed and scaled against a feather before being sent into one of the 5 great doors before her....
The story is non linear. Try to read the book.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Saintsquare(m): 8:57am On May 17, 2017
dragonking3:
That part was very disgusting. Must they bring gay stuff to TV series?
I guess that's what trending now in series movies,Teen wolf,The 100,The Walking dead,Blindspot ,Empire etc

1 Like

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking2: 9:46am On May 17, 2017
1StopRudeness:

Lol, you have gotten everything wrong. Let me give you a brief recap.

Now, a war between old gods and New god's is brewing and because of this, shadow is wanted by many gods both old and new gods. Why, because shadow though he was an ex-convict, he is also like above mortal but not a god. He is in between. That's why Wednesday was smart enough to employ him first before any other gods. Other gods like media and technology boy have tried recruiting him just because of this. The irony is that shadow doesn't know his own strength and worth. We still don't know if shadow was the one who made the snow fall just by thinking about it (might be one of his powers). Also, shadow is not Jesus.

Also note that the TV series inter changes to introduce other gods. For example, Anubis was introduced in the beginning (he was the one who judged the old woman) while the Arab guy with fiery red eyes is a jinn(not particularly Muslim) who granted the jobless man his wish. Thats how these two god's were introduced.

Watch this short video explaining everything that happened in episode 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWpGaeSiNgQ
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking2: 9:48am On May 17, 2017
Saintsquare:
I guess that's what trending now in series movies,Teen wolf,The 100,The Walking dead,Blindspot ,Empire etc
Yeah, it is obvious they are forcing all these gay stuff down our throats.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by IamTo3i(m): 1:30pm On May 17, 2017
Really nice series so far hope dey don't spoil it, was wondering when his wife was going to show up, eagerly waiting for the upcoming episode
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Nobody: 2:11pm On May 17, 2017
dragonking2:
Yeah, it is obvious they are forcing all these gay stuff down our throats.

Exactly..the word is "Force"...the gay population is on the minority lane...
what I don't understand is why is the American movie industry trying so bad to carry along a minority group when u already have a majority(straight) group audience who aren't interested or on the long run, are offended with the gay shitss u are trying to sell on tv..

1 Like

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by IamTo3i(m): 2:34pm On May 17, 2017
1StopRudeness:

Exactly..the word is "Force"...the gay population is on the minority lane...
what I don't understand is why is the American movie industry trying so bad to carry along a minority group when u already have a majority(straight) group audience who aren't interested or on the long run, are offended with the gay shitss u are trying to sell on tv..

its cos that minority group unfortunately holds most of the power in America not just in the entertainment industry alone

1 Like

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by 100naira(m): 5:11pm On May 17, 2017
For the guys in the religious and traditional gods argument. Jesus is in this series and will be played by Jeremy Davis(he will play the white Jesus). I don't know about the other Jesuss' yet.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by 100naira(m): 5:29pm On May 17, 2017
I don't know why this show is confusing people, it's pretty clear for me, the old gods, are losing their powers because they are no longer worshipped which gives the new gods, technology(the guy that kidnapped shadow towards the end of episode 1) and media(the woman on TV talking to shadow in the mall) plus maybe the various Jesuss' the power to kick them off the throne as they (the new gods) are being worshipped presently so Odin (Mr Wednesday) God of thunder is gathering all the other old gods(the producers decided to make them old gods literally old to represent rust and loss of power) to fight against the new gods. Shadow moon though does not know his powers and strength(he doesn't want to believe) is hired by Mr Wednesday as a bodyguard but in reality that guy might be the strongest of them all or as strong as them since even media was trying to hire him.

Each episode, a new God(alongside Odin) is introduced, first it was bilquis and the leprechaun then technology in episode one, Anansi, media, the zorya sisters and the guy with the bloody hammer were introduced in episode 2. Anubis(the Egyptian God of death) and that Arabian djinn was introduced in the episode 3 and so on.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by kkkossy(m): 5:52pm On May 17, 2017
I think shadow is a god who doesn't know his powers yet. Remember in episode 1 where he tossed the golden coin which dropped on his wife's grave. The coin sunk into the coffin as shown in episode 3 when that guy was digging the grave to retrieve the coin. Apparently the power from the coin raised his wife from the dead. I think shadow is a bigger god every other gods what to get acquainted to.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Gmajor(m): 6:05pm On May 17, 2017
kkkossy:
I think shadow is a god who doesn't know his powers yet. Remember in episode 1 where he tossed the golden coin which dropped on his wife's grave. The coin sunk into the coffin as shown in episode 3 when that guy was digging the grave to retrieve the coin. Apparently the power from the coin raised his wife from the dead. I think shadow is a bigger god every other gods what to get acquainted to.

I don't quite agree with you.
shadow is more than a human but less than a god.
the gods in this series come about as a result of collective thought.
if a lot of people believe and worship them, then they are powerful. .......or so I think
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Akanniade(m): 7:11pm On May 17, 2017
kkkossy:
The golden coin is the leprechaun's(mad sweeney) lucky coin. The coin has powers, hence mad sweeney searching madly for it because his luck ran ou as seen in the car mishap and the near miss bullet.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking2: 3:34pm On May 20, 2017
100naira:
I don't know why this show is confusing people, it's pretty clear for me, the old gods, are losing their powers because they are no longer worshipped which gives the new gods, technology(the guy that kidnapped shadow towards the end of episode 1) and media(the woman on TV talking to shadow in the mall) plus maybe the various Jesuss' the power to kick them off the throne as they (the new gods) are being worshipped presently so Odin (Mr Wednesday) God of thunder is gathering all the other old gods(the producers decided to make them old gods literally old to represent rust and loss of power) to fight against the new gods. Shadow moon though does not know his powers and strength(he doesn't want to believe) is hired by Mr Wednesday as a bodyguard but in reality that guy might be the strongest of them all or as strong as them since even media was trying to hire him.

Each episode, a new God(alongside Odin) is introduced, first it was the leprechaun then technology in episode one, Anansi, media, the zorya sisters and the guy with the bloody hammer were introduced in episode 2. Anubis(the Egyptian God of death) and that Arabian djinn was introduced in the episode 3 and so on.
Its the flash back or unrelated scenes that confuses people
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking2: 3:35pm On May 20, 2017
kkkossy:
Shadow isn't a god but he is higher than a human. He just doesn't know yet.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by dragonking2: 3:37pm On May 20, 2017
100naira:
For the guys in the religious and traditional gods argument. Jesus is in this series and will be played by Jeremy Davis(he will play the white Jesus). I don't know about the other Jesuss' yet.
Well, I don't think white Jesus will be dragged in to the fight between old and new gods. I also have a feeling that they want to take a swipe at Christianity. Well, we shall know as the series proceeds.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Rapahel1116: 5:32pm On May 20, 2017
I don't tink so...I have seen series nd movies where Igbo was spoken ...BT dem no too sweet sha.
Salimmuhammad:
I think this is the first American series were Igbo is spoken... that's nice oh but I want to read the book and see if the language was spoken too

Anyway the series makes sense.
Re: Who Is Watching "American Gods" by Priceless200(f): 5:44pm On May 21, 2017
Biko is this series Badass as Banshee? Someone already asked me to watch it, I just wanna know, who have seen both series, how can you rate both..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photos From BBNaija Eviction Party With Avala, Isilomo, Kim Oprah, Ella, Tuoyo / Man Lifts Bag Of Rice With His Teeth On Toni Payne's Show / Queen Evicted From The Big Brother House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.