Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,831 members, 7,802,664 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Your Views On Polygamy? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Your Views On Polygamy? (13027 Views)

Poll: Is Polygamy ok?

Yes, maybe, sometimes: 28% (10 votes)
No, never!: 71% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

When I Visited Dubai! My Views On Arab-muslim Women Changed / Ndigbo, Share Your Views. / The White And African American Views On Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 01, 2007
Again I am not talking about human right laws and its violation.
You tell me the advantages of polygamy for I see none.

I am yet to see a woman support polygamy because she gains nothing from it,it is a lose lose situation,any woman that supports it ought to have her head checked.
It is however a win win for the man,having the ability to eat Okra soup today and egusi tommorrow night,isn't that the ultimate fantasy for him?
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by omoge(f): 10:08pm On Apr 01, 2007
you forgot to add the ability to bang this today and that tomorrow, wifey 1 has her period, go to wifey 2,

I wouldn't share , POLYGAMY ain't right.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 01, 2007
lol.that was my okra and egusi soup analogy.
I'm a lady,I choose my words carefully grin grin grin
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by omoge(f): 10:16pm On Apr 01, 2007
smile, we all are, but atimes, polygamy practicers need to be told like it is. because they will prefer food (egusi with wifey # 1 today) and okra soup with wifey #2 tmr.

it goes with their stomach and their knees, grin
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Christino(m): 10:41pm On Apr 01, 2007
@Omoge,

Its even sad that wife#1 will be getting him syphilis while he's screwing #2 while number two will be getting him HIV while he's back to #1, in the end, they all end up @ Yem Kem!

It was told that Fela died of complications from HIV (He had many wives) and that some of his kids are not his. Even MKO Abiola's family confirmed that 2 of his kids failed the DNA test!

Polygamy is a pain in the anus!
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 01, 2007
Christino:

@Omoge,

Its even sad that wife#1 will be getting him syphilis while he's screwing #2 while number two will be getting him HIV while he's back to #1, in the end, they all end up @ Yem Kem!

It was told that Fela died of complications from HIV (He had many wives) and that some of his kids are not his. Even MKO Abiola's family confirmed that 2 of his kids failed the DNA test!

Polygamy is a pain in the anus!

It has absolutely no advantage to humanity.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by spoilt(f): 11:00pm On Apr 01, 2007
yes it does. it produces an army of children that can hoe the man's farm! grin
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by mukina2: 11:05pm On Apr 01, 2007
Personally i belive Polygamy is a way to civilise men's promiscious lives .
Polygamy  is the most silent killer to most women .unfortunately not all women has the choice of choosin who to marry.
most  female kids are born and taught that they will marry a cousin .with already 3-4 wives , so they prepare themselves for days  in hell.
some tribes betrothed kids as  young as a few days old to full grown men .so that's why it would be a difficult tradition to break off .

how do you explain to ur kids that  daddy brought a new  mama ?

In these homes  .only one party suffers and the other party enjoys .
God forgive whoever i marry . if he opens his mouth to tell me that rubbish
. that will be the day
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by spoilt(f): 11:09pm On Apr 01, 2007
polygamy has not been able to curb promiscous men. no matter how many wives he has a primiscous man will still stray outside the home. so what's the point in tying so many women in a hellish marriage when the aim is defeated?
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by mukina2: 11:21pm On Apr 01, 2007
spoilt thats the thing
no matter what people say it will never work
why do you think some men keep marryin and when questioned they say i am a man i have the resources to are for them angry
sometimes greed drives soe women to days in hell
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Christino(m): 11:28pm On Apr 01, 2007
@ Muki

Errrm , errm,hope you are not refering to Sade Okoya shocked? Her's was love made in Heaven. grin

SHe loves that rich man truly. lipsrsealed
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by cuteass1(f): 11:32pm On Apr 01, 2007
In my humble opinion, the blame should not go to the men alone

why on earth are the women there?

why did they consent to the marriage in the first place? or were they taken in a police car to the place?

why can't some women understand that their decency and self-esteem is more important that whatever money they're after( because some of them don't mind being second wives because the guy is RICH)

its high time women started settling for nothing else than the best which they obviously know wouldn't happen being a second wife angry because you're mandated to share the guy

it pisses me off when young girls are so eager to go and be second wives as if the guy was the only one on earth angry

and if they're too stupid to see that, then they asked for it and as you make your bed so shall you lie on it wink
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by mukina2: 11:35pm On Apr 01, 2007
na you sabi grin grin grin
afterall he'll die soon and she'll erm erm  grin grin

@cute-ass
some of the women are there not on their own will . it comes from their parents or relations, some are there because of circumstances, others are there for greed
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 01, 2007
mukina2:

na you sabi grin grin grin
afterall he'll die soon and she'll erm erm grin grin

@cute-ass
some of the women are there not on their own will . it comes from their parents or relations, some are there because of circumstances, others are there for greed

you are correct,some girls in polygamy had no choice in the matter and the soceity does not protect them.
But yes cute a$$ there are thousands of educated girls that went in willingly,that I do not understand.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by mukina2: 11:44pm On Apr 01, 2007
the educated girsl are also brainwashed into thinking that those guys are their future husbands .

but again do not forget some women are selfish and very greedy angry
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 02, 2007
My grandfather had a few wives.It was a status thing in his time.Marrying more wives showed you had money to feed them.
I can understand the people of many generations ago but not in 2007.
With all the hardship in Nigeria and Africa in general,a man will have 3,4 wives and churn out kids like a cockroach and expect his relatives to help him "train" them or some resort to begging on the streets or armed robbery.
It is a big shame on our soceity and abuse of children who had no choice to be in this situation.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by omoge(f): 12:28am On Apr 02, 2007
True. not in this age!! our parents of years gone by did it, but truly not in this age and time.

babyosisi, that's what i hate about the way things are in Nigeria/Africa. many wives, many children and then before you knows it, it's relative or Older one taking the responsibilities, i think it's abt time we ladies be a different breed. say no to Poly and if you happen to have a man who is either bringing in a another lady or hopping around, move on.

It's sad to be in a relationship where you aren't only the apple of your man's eyes.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by spoilt(f): 12:29am On Apr 02, 2007
why on earth are the women there?

why did they consent to the marriage in the first place? or were they taken in a police car to the place?

why can't some women understand that their decency and self-esteem is more important that whatever money they're after( because some of them don't mind being second wives because the guy is RICH)

@cute-ass
some women dont have a choice. if you are born into the muslim religion it is rammed down your throat. in order to be seen as a good woman you have to pretend to be supportive of the new "ameria" coming in and help arrange the marriage sef. they dont have a choice. their religion says its ok 4 a man to have up to 4 wives. so what can they do?  undecided a change in religion is out of the question!  shocked
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 12:40am On Apr 02, 2007
spoilt:

@cute-ass
some women don't have a choice. if you are born into the muslim religion it is rammed down your throat. in order to be seen as a good woman you have to pretend to be supportive of the new "ameria" coming in and help arrange the marriage sef. they don't have a choice. their religion says its ok 4 a man to have up to 4 wives. so what can they do? undecided a change in religion is out of the question! shocked

Actually to be fair the Koran says they can marry more than one up to 4 if the man can provide for them and treat them all equally.
Many decent Muslims marry only one wife.The Koran does not say they must marry 4 so men use religion as an excuse to do so just to please their sexual urge ,it has nothing to do with religion.

What about OBJ,he claims to be a born again Christian,how many wives does he have?
Men would use any "valid" excuse to run around and to call them wives makes it look Ok,it's not.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by spoilt(f): 12:55am On Apr 02, 2007
Actually to be fair the Koran says they can marry more than one up to 4 if the man can provide for them and treat them all equally.

@babyosisi
yeah it says that and men have always claimed they can treat women equally. equal treatment is not just about equal upkeep money its also about equal love (which just isnt possible)
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by cuteass1(f): 1:08am On Apr 02, 2007
@ those who have a choice and still end up there
you caused it, so i don't feel sorry for you, not a single sorry (if sorry can be numbered)

@ those who are mandated due to family and religion
cry cry cry
may the future hold a better plan for the yet-to-come-victims cry cry

@ the men who practise it without the ladies's concent and out of selfishness and greed
may you be served with the spoon which you use in serving others
and this goes to the muslim ones too ooh cos if what babyosisi said is right, that they musn't then they're not exempted in the punishment

@ general/topic
may the world be a better place, may God come to our rescue and shine some light on this act of wickedness and ignorance cry cry
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 4:13am On Apr 02, 2007
I don't think there's any polygamist to be out there that wakes up one morning and says to himself
Gee,I have so much love to share,the love is weighing me down,I need a second wife to share this god given love with before it consumes me.

It's more like,I need me a younger fresher woman.I need a change of diet,this woman here is not doing it for me,I need variety and have my fantasies fulfilled.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by sage(m): 4:29am On Apr 02, 2007
why do the majority of men feel its neccesary to sleep with different women grin. Looks like there no cure for that abi lipsrsealed
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by adconline(m): 5:18am On Apr 02, 2007
Has  monogamy stopped promiscuity? Nope. Has monogamy stopped STD's  Nope. So, what's the  fuzz about  encouraging infidelity? We are leaving on borrowed concept of marriage. Before colonization, Africans had their marriage institutions.Monogamy was introduced in Nigeria by our colonial masters- British.

Its a religious thing not supposed to be  included  in our constitution given the fact that there are Muslims, Atheists, Animists and Traditionalists.

Some women are seeing it from feminist perspective, but  there is also polyandry- one woman -many men. This is practiced in some parts of  Nepal and Tibet. I really hate this western concept of telling people what's right and what's wrong. If  you were a pagan,  would  you need  western concept of marriage  to define your beliefs? On the other hand, if we say that homosexuality is a social  aberration, westerners will say that we are primitive and uncivilized.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by spoilt(f): 5:36am On Apr 02, 2007
adconline:

Has monogamy stopped promiscuity? Nope. Has monogamy stopped STD's Nope. So, what's the fuzz about encouraging infidelity? We are leaving on borrowed concept of marriage. Before colonization, Africans had their marriage institutions.Monogamy was introduced in Nigeria by our colonial masters- British.

Its a religious thing not supposed to be included in our constitution given the fact that there are Muslims, Atheists, Animists and Traditionalists.

Some women are seeing it from feminist perspective, but there is also polyandry- one woman -many men. This is practiced in some parts of Nepal and Tibet. I really hate this western concept of telling people what's right and what's wrong. If you were a pagan, would you need western concept of marriage to define your beliefs? On the other hand, if we say that homosexuality is a social aberration, westerners will say that we are primitive and uncivilized.

you are right! you dont need anyone to tell you what should or shouldnt be. your heart tells you. its instinct. no body likes to share! men or women. we just toe the line of "culture dictates" or "religion says". its rammed down our throats!
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by adconline(m): 6:00am On Apr 02, 2007
yes, look at what is happening in Church of England- Anglican church- They cannot take a stand on homosexuality because its part of western life style. Had it be polygamy or traditional African beliefs, they would have taken a stand. Anything that is anachronistic to western philosophy is  regarded as evil.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Agboola1(m): 9:01am On Apr 02, 2007
an average african is a polygamist by nature, all those that are condemning it are in one way or tho other seeing more than one woman. no religion as far as i know permits polygamy without stringent conditions, but people accuses Islam too mush on this which is wrong. ive heard and seen clergies getting married to more than one wife. the situation most times is conditions like: barreness, naggy wife, bad influence, spiritual attack resulting from selfishness and greed to chase other women or gift of coronation, chiftancy or reward from wealthy persons. In some cases it could be inexplicable accident. these cases if they are well managed it may lead to lead to happy home or on other hand the opposite. I personally lost my father to it. i suggest caution/prayers for it or against it. but the reason be genuine.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Agboola1(m): 9:17am On Apr 02, 2007
]an average african is a polygamist by nature, all those that are condemning it are in one way or tho other seeing more than one woman. no religion as far as i know permits polygamy without stringent conditions, but people accuses Islam too mush on this which is wrong. ive heard and seen clergies getting married to more than one wife. the situation most times is conditions like: barreness, naggy wife, bad influence, spiritual attack resulting from selfishness and greed to chase other women or gift of coronation, chiftancy or reward from wealthy persons. In some cases it could be inexplicable accident. these cases if they are well managed it may lead to lead to happy home or on other hand the opposite. I personally lost my father to it. i suggest caution/prayers for it or against it. but the reason be genuine.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by grafikdon: 5:19pm On Apr 02, 2007
YkeD and adconline, thanks a lot for your input. I find it very objective and refreshing. I am not for polygamy because I can't handle it but I will not stand up and tell you polygamy is a NO-NO. Any man and women who can deal with it should go for it, they have my unflinching support. The argument that polygamy encourages infidelity is completely false and baseless since a vast majority of the men and women who cheat on their spouses or who have had multiple quadruple divorce are monogamists. I once heard a friend tell me that a married man who cheats on his wife is the same as a man married to 2 women. I only shook my head and left because these two cases are completely different. People who moonlight and sleep with any member of the opposite sex even when they are married or in a serious relationship think polygamists are 'greedy animals'. . . WOW! I mean. . . WOW! Who are we kidding here?
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by spoilt(f): 7:27pm On Apr 02, 2007
if you are a polygamist that still cheats on your wives my question is why bother putting 2 women in that hell called a polygamous marriage in the first place?

you can as well marry one wife and let her have breathing space in her own home. then you may choose to sneak around on her if you want.
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 02, 2007
There is no difference between polygamy and keeping a mistress.
sorry there is.
The mistress is right at home
Re: Your Views On Polygamy? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 02, 2007
have you noticed how it's always the men that support polygamy calling it their African tradition.
African tradition my foot,so is covering ones genitals with leaves as clothing.
Why have we moved on from that and not polygamy?

It is un natural,it dehumanises women,it should be made illegal because several little girls have been roped in there and they had no choice.
Any wonder our women are dying at a faster rate than men when it comes to AIDS?
It only takes one polygamous man with AIDS to send 4 unsuspecting loyal wives to shoal.

Polygamy is promscuity glorified.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Worldwide Igbo Population Around 70 Million -world Census / The Yoruba Flag / Ooni Of Ife Unveils HAI TV Show For Indigent Students, Poor Masses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.