Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? (22517 Views)

How To Answer The Interview Question, “Tell Me About Yourself.” / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / "Sell Me This Pen" How To Best Answer This Question In A Sales Interview. (2) (3) (4)

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by destinysaid(m): 8:46am On May 14, 2017
Laurele:
As a sales man i bliv you should learn to pay attention to details, read my comment again and see how indifferent n out of point ur reply to it is

sorry mam but ure wrong, I recently saw this question on quota, the goal isn't to start blabing about features, but benefits,in a salebyou HV seconds to put of the best performance, make it count. Here's a quota link, though not the one I saw from a global sales rep.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-best-responses-to-Sell-me-this-pen-pencil-in-a-job-interview

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Nobody: 8:48am On May 14, 2017
You give me a pen to sell for you? I'll simply get a sheet of paper for you to write on knowing you just gave me your pen. then you say, I don't have a pen. Good! now you're buying mine.

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by engrrichie92(m): 8:49am On May 14, 2017
Adeoba10:
Ordinary pen.... Why not laptop or the interviewers iphone.... Na to carry am go house come drop my phone number...

culled from Emanuella's video skit...
always state your source...

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Adeoba10(m): 8:51am On May 14, 2017
engrrichie92:

culled from Emanuella's video skit...
always state your source...
Really? Send me d link.... Saw dis on Facebook. grin
Shebi ur body temperature don cool now?
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by lilfreezy: 8:54am On May 14, 2017
crackerspub:

Its a common sales question from the sales guy just as you said but how come you failed the interview since its a common sales question.

You initially tried to make it look like I stole it from a movie, now you are making emphasis on the word "common". Bia ogini?

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Oasis007(m): 8:54am On May 14, 2017
I think its also important to understand the Benefit(s) of the Pen too. You can't only concentrate your Points on it value.

How doe it work?! What makes it unique?! How is it modelled and designed?! The package also is important!

If nothing is special about the Pen after checking its details and value, then you shouldn't sell it at all costs, rather be scientific with your Response.

Tell the Interviewer what you observed, why it's not marketable yet, and make a Recommendation(s) on what should be done to bring out the Uniqueness in the Pen.

Don't be to curious to get the goddamn Job, rather show them you are simply applying to work with them, not to work for them.

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by crackerspub: 8:56am On May 14, 2017
lilfreezy:

You initially tried to make it look like I stole it from a movie, now you are making emphasis on the word "common". Bia ogini?

Biko ajuju ka mu juru grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Nnemuka(f): 8:57am On May 14, 2017
Same question was asked in a movie "wolf of wall street".
Go look for the movie and watch,quite interesting.

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Nobody: 8:57am On May 14, 2017
when interviewers ask u that question.... just try to sell that pen straight to him or her

-> tell him is one of d best pen in town
-> let him know that that pen can be use on over 200 books and their will still be ink left in it
-> tell him it is a magic pen for intelligent people?
name other features tht can compliment the pen the drop it on the table and look straight in the interviewers eye

shikenna
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Babs24: 9:00am On May 14, 2017
"Work with and Work For"

God bless you Sire. Most people are only desperate to "work for"

Oasis007:
I think its also important to understand the Benefit(s) of the Pen too. You can't only concentrate your Points on it value.

How doe it work?! What makes it unique?! How is it modelled and designed?! The package also is important!

If nothing is special about the Pen after checking its details and value, then you shouldn't sell it at all costs, rather be scientific with your Response.

Tell the Interviewer what you observed, why it's not marketable yet, and make a Recommendation(s) on what should be done to bring out the Uniqueness in the Pen.

Don't be to curious to get the goddamn Job, rather show them you are simply applying to work with them, not to work for them.
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by lilfreezy: 9:00am On May 14, 2017
Nnemuka:
Same question was asked in a movie "wolf of wall street".
Go look for the movie and watch,quite interesting.

The answer they gave in that movie cannot be applied in the real world setting. Sales expert will advice you never to use that line

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Tonymic4life(m): 9:05am On May 14, 2017
charles009:

I will resist the urge to use harsh words. Sell features of a pen and you call it sales? Utter ridiculousness. I advise you understand truly the meaning of sales.

Nobody pays attenrion if you aint ready to sell benefits, why your product is different relevant. A true sales man knows value is what you need to communicate.

Oga Wats d diff with wat u said and d guy u quoted? From my understanding, both of u r saying same thing, ur explanation is vague while his is more precise, at least he listed some of d benefits. So guy calm down and understand people's comments. Peace out.
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by wowo2: 9:08am On May 14, 2017
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Tonymic4life(m): 9:12am On May 14, 2017
trippy:
You give me a pen to sell for you? I'll simply get a sheet of paper for you to write on knowing you just gave me your pen. then you say, I don't have a pen. Good! now you're buying mine.

I luv ur response. It's smart! Only a smart person thinks differently, and Dats wat u just did. Others r saying same thing, and tackling each other even wen dey mean d same thing. Dey r just trying to prove a point. Buh urs stands out. I think d best way to sell stuffs is 4 u to know if d said person u r selling to needs it or not.

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Oasis007(m): 9:19am On May 14, 2017
Fame333:
when interviewers ask u that question.... just try to sell that pen straight to him or her

-> tell him is one of d best pen in town

How? Coz no one cares about your theoretical knowledge, rather your practical know how. Don't tell, show how!

-> let him know that that pen can be use on over 200 books and their will still be ink left in it

Ain't you exaggerating and lying? That's kinda too lame in my Opinion

-> tell him it is a magic pen for intelligent people?

A Pen you are seeing for the first Time?! Secondly you are targeting a Particular Section of the Consumers. Are you saying the Pen can't be bought and used by all?!

name other features tht can compliment the pen the drop it on the table and look straight in the interviewers eye

Are you writing a WAEC?!

shikenna

You've actually said nothing ma'am.

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by donJ2(m): 9:23am On May 14, 2017
fannybaby:
I am a pharmacist and I just finished Nysc. I am willing to work in any pharmacy shop in Lagos. Help a sister biko

Simple; findout the excos of Ur council in lagos, call them and notify them... u will thank me later.

...worked fr me, just moved to Lagos after years of not wanting to stay in lagos.
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Nobody: 9:24am On May 14, 2017
lilfreezy:
I've read quite a number of opinion on various website and I'll like to get opinions of nairalanders who have encountered this question in a sales related interview and how they managed to answer it excellently. I once attend an interview in a real estate firm and they threw this question at me and I was there looking at the pen like which kind wahala be this lipsrsealed . This was because I least expected that question and I ended up a flop in that interview.

I've read some articles that pointed out that the best way to answer this question is by asking the interviewer more questions instead of describing the pen.

So I'm asking the sales experts on this forum to give details on how they answered theirs. wink

I read most comments in-here back to back and I realised nobody actually was able to explain it the right way. I was asked the same question in 2016 at the oral interview conducted by a foremost telecoms company in Nigeria with an orange colour or logo, after sacling through the rigours of 3 consecutive aptitude tests. The 3rd test was simple but tricky. We were told if we scored 75 out of hundred at the end of the test duration which was set at 20 minutes, we would proceed for the oral interview slated for a few days after the tests...I happened to be one of the fortunate few. We were 11 in number, out of the mammoth crows of applicants who came to Unilag from all parts of the country. We were about 350 in number . After the oral interview, only 8 out of 11 were employed and I happened to be one of them. The problem we Africans have is, we don't read. Before interviews, an applicant is expected to read like he/she's gong to prepare for the final exam in the higher institution because of the brains of applicants that are also coming to participate in the same interview, for just a limited slot...it's a competitive world. Instead of me explaining further on how to sell a pen...it's always the usual question which many have failed and which many more will still fail anyway....here is a link which I believe would help.

http://senatorclub.co/best-answer-to-sell-me-this-pen-i-have-ever-seen/

Cheers!

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Shayooluwah(m): 9:29am On May 14, 2017
tlops:
Create an urgent need for it and you will sell it.

I was asked the same question in an interview with three sales people.

Interviewer: sell us this pen.
Me: scratch head , quickly comoose my self. Asked if any of them has other pens with then. They brought them out. I collected them and put them in my bag. Then I brought out my cheque book, wrote a cheque for 2000 Naira and pointed it to the one I considered junior amongst them. I told him the cheque is his if he can sign his name at the back of the cheque. They were all looking confused while I made a gesture to him to go ahead.
One of them was getting angry
Interviewer: what is the meaning of this? he asked.
Me: give me a few minute I am trying to sell a pen here.
Then faced my guy, do you want this check?
ThinKing I was joking, he said yes can I have the pen? I said yes but you have to buy it .
Interviewer: how much is it ?
Me: 1000 Naira
Interviewer: are you serious? Common pen shocked
Me: wrote down something on what they could not see.
Interviewer: that cheque better not be dude cheque as he brought out a 1000Ngn note. He gave it to me and I signed the check and he signed too. I gave him the check. I said it's real .

Interviewer: another asked how is it profitable for me to to give 2000 in retur for a 1000 note.
Me: i said I sold a pen for way more than you will ordinarily pay for it, because there was an urgentry need for it. You called it ordinary (what I scribbled down when they were talking carelessly) this shows that if your product is ordinary then I will have to work extraordinary to make a sales. I was offered a 6 month contract and I worked there for a year before moving on.
Sounds like you watched Wolf of Wall Street. Lol.

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by KillerBeauty(f): 9:30am On May 14, 2017
Tonymic4life:

I luv ur response. It's smart! Only a smart person thinks differently, and Dats wat u just did. Others r saying same thing, and tackling each other even wen dey mean d same thing. Dey r just trying to prove a point. Buh urs stands out. I think d best way to sell stuffs is 4 u to know if d said person u r selling to needs it or not.

Really? Okay Imagine you are to sell a different brand of bottled water to a shop that already sells bottled water. How will this approach work. Are you going to seize the person product and then force them to buy yours?

trippy, avizizo, mahogany156, tinu02 answer this pls
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by lilfreezy: 9:32am On May 14, 2017
awelekiti:
I read most comments in-here back to back and I realised nobody actually was able to explain it the right way. I was asked the same question in 2016 at the oral interview conducted by a foremost telecoms company in Nigeria with an orange colour or logo, after sacling through the rigours of 3 consecutive aptitude tests. The 3rd test was simple but tricky. We were told if we scored 75 out of hundred at the end of the test duration which was set at 20 minutes, we would proceed for the oral interview slated for a few days after the tests...I happened to be one of the fortunate few. We were 11 in number, out of the mammoth crows of applicants who came to Unilag from all parts of the country. We were about 350 in number . After the oral interview, only 8 out of 11 were employed and I happened to be one of them. The problem we Africans have is, we don't read. Before interviews, an applicant is expected to read like he/she's gong to prepare for the final exam in the higher institution because of the brains of applicants that are also coming to participate in the same interview, for just a limited slot...it's a competitive world. Instead of me explaining further on how to sell a pen...it's always the usual question which many have failed and which many more will still fail anyway....here is a link which I believe would help.

http://senatorclub.co/best-answer-to-sell-me-this-pen-i-have-ever-seen/

Cheers!

Thanks a lot. Although I've seen/read that article, I wanted to get it from someone who has experienced it first hand in Nigeria and how to excelled. In as much as the write-up was brilliant, you would agree with me that some Nigerian interviewers would want something different. This is why I need to know.
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by xty50(f): 9:33am On May 14, 2017
cheesy cheesy
charles009:

Very simple indeed, I hope this joke.
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Sike(m): 9:42am On May 14, 2017
Hmmm... KEYWORD - "NEVER FAIL TO CLOSE A SALE."
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by charles009(m): 9:47am On May 14, 2017
Tonymic4life:

Oga Wats d diff with wat u said and d guy u quoted? From my understanding, both of u r saying same thing, ur explanation is vague while his is more precise, at least he listed some of d benefits. So guy calm down and understand people's comments. Peace out.

What is the difference between qualities and benefits?
Smh
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by ayindejimmy(m): 9:48am On May 14, 2017
lilfreezy:

Have you ever encountered the question and did you actually say this?

I've seen something like this before. Lemme try.
To sell the pen, you have to ask the buyer look beyond the quality of the pen only.
"Here is a reliable pen unlike any other. I once signed a million dollar contract with this pen. It's consistent, reliable and durable. Think of what you can achieve with this pen-no limitations. Have you ever been in a situation you need to note something down or seal a deal and the average pen just blurred out? Well, here is a pen you can used for years with sustainable perfect readable ink on any paper. This pen is being used by top executives of multinational companies on a daily basis to seal deals worth millions of dollars. It's their preferred choice for signing the biggest contracts you can possibly imagine. Avail yourself of the same experience they are having daily.
We give refund to unsatisfied customers but believe me, none has ever claimed it.
Take one of these pens and experience all the wonders of innovative technology crafted into one piece.
You're sure to thank me later

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by ayindejimmy(m): 9:50am On May 14, 2017
charles009:

What is the difference between qualities and benefits?
Smh

Quality is the stuff a product is made of
And benefits are what you stand to gain or achieve by using the product.

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by charles009(m): 9:51am On May 14, 2017
ayindejimmy:

I've seen something like this before. Lemme try.
To sell the pen, you have to ask the buyer look beyond the quality of the pen only.
"Here is a reliable pen unlike any other. I once signed a million dollar contract with this pen. It's consistent, reliable and durable. Think of what you can achieve with this pen-no limitations. Have you ever been in a situation you need to note something down or seal a deal and the average pen just blurred out? Well, here is a pen you can used for years with sustainable perfect readable ink on any paper. This pen is being used by top executives of multinational companies on a daily basis to seal deals worth millions of dollars. It's their preferred choice for signing the biggest contracts you can possibly imagine. Avail yourself of the same experience they are having daily.
We give refund to unsatisfied customers but believe me, none has ever claimed it.
Take one of this pen and experience all the wonders of innovative technology crafted into one piece.
You're sure to thank me later
You have done well? I will hire you for just one statement.
Look beyond the qualities of the pen..

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Nobody: 9:55am On May 14, 2017
wunmi590:

Lol, this got me laughing, I nearly pee on my body when similar question was asked in my present coy.

When I got there I was asked to introduce myself and other question and how my last experience can profer solution to the organization, I did all that.

But to the main question, one of the interviewer was having a bottled water beside her, and she said please can you market this water for us? And I was like wetin this one dey ask self, not knowing that's what would give me the job.

And it goes thus:

Me (Marketer): Good morning ma, please may I have few minute of your time and she said yes.

Interviewer : For what? Okey go on

Me (marketer): Am really sorry to take few minute of your time, I have a water I want to introduce to you ma.

Interviewer: Am listening

Me (marketer): This water i used my name for the product, is one of the best, it is refreshing, odourless, it quenches taste and makes you ask for more, as a microbiological manufactured water, it has gone through all normal microbiological analysis to make sure it is free from germs and microorganism.

And finally ma, if anybody takes this water, it would wash away the person's sins and take them straight to heaven.

Interviewers: Started laughing, and one of them asked if its holy water.

Me (marketer): Just stood there and started laughing.

That's how I got the job.
lolz... nice and funny
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by DICKtator: 9:56am On May 14, 2017
Always remember;

FAB

Features

Attributes

Benefits

FAB

close sales

Isn't "sell me a pen" a Wolf of Wall Street thing?
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by ayindejimmy(m): 9:57am On May 14, 2017
charles009:
You have done well? I will hire you for just one statement. Look beyond the qualities of the pen..
I'm highly humbled.
Where do I send my CV?
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Nobody: 9:58am On May 14, 2017
tlops:
Create an urgent need for it and you will sell it.

I was asked the same question in an interview with three sales people.

Interviewer: sell us this pen.
Me: scratch head , quickly comoose my self. Asked if any of them has other pens with then. They brought them out. I collected them and put them in my bag. Then I brought out my cheque book, wrote a cheque for 2000 Naira and pointed it to the one I considered junior amongst them. I told him the cheque is his if he can sign his name at the back of the cheque. They were all looking confused while I made a gesture to him to go ahead.
One of them was getting angry
Interviewer: what is the meaning of this? he asked.
Me: give me a few minute I am trying to sell a pen here.
Then faced my guy, do you want this check?
ThinKing I was joking, he said yes can I have the pen? I said yes but you have to buy it .
Interviewer: how much is it ?
Me: 1000 Naira
Interviewer: are you serious? Common pen shocked
Me: wrote down something on what they could not see.
Interviewer: that cheque better not be dude cheque as he brought out a 1000Ngn note. He gave it to me and I signed the check and he signed too. I gave him the check. I said it's real .

Interviewer: another asked how is it profitable for me to to give 2000 in retur for a 1000 note.
Me: i said I sold a pen for way more than you will ordinarily pay for it, because there was an urgentry need for it. You called it ordinary (what I scribbled down when they were talking carelessly) this shows that if your product is ordinary then I will have to work extraordinary to make a sales. I was offered a 6 month contract and I worked there for a year before moving on.
clap for ur self
Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by Donnyboy(m): 9:59am On May 14, 2017
Please guys check out the trailer of My Short film BORDER ... I Shot it with a phone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay2W82ii2-o&itct=CAoQpDAYASITCKbr5a2n3NMCFZ6QVQod%3D%3D&gl=NG&hl=en&client=mv-google

Re: How Do You Answer The Question "Sell Me This Pen " In A Sales Interview? by charles009(m): 10:00am On May 14, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Quality is the stuff a product is made of
And benefits are what you stand to gain or achieve by using the product.

You are so correct, see scenario below, be the judge.
Selling a bottle water

Eg 1 xyz water is unique,its odourless, its tasteless and it has been certified very safe having gone through the purification process. Its surely the best ma.

Eg 2, Addition to the above eg remind the consumer that the bottle water contains zinc, which aids digestion, diabetes, cancer, etc.

Which would prompt you to make a purchase my friend?

Should I Accept This Salesboy 7am-7pm, N25k Job Offer? / How To Apply For National Space Research and Development Agency Job Recruitment / State Hospital Job At N260,000 Or Federal Hospital Job At N180,000?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80