Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1238736 members, 1651963 topics. Date: Thursday, 24 April 2014 at 10:56 PM

9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? - Ethnic/Racial Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic/Racial Politics / 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? (3006 Views)

Its Now A Crime To Be Igbo in Lagos State. / Biafra War Crime Video / Sagging Pants: Fashion Statement Amongst Black Youths? (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Ndipe(m): 9:47pm On Jan 27, 2007
9 youths convicted in Halloween beatings

By GREG RISLING, Associated Press Writer Sat Jan 27, 4:17 AM ET

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Nine black youths were convicted Friday in juvenile court of beating three white women in a racially charged attack on Halloween night.
ADVERTISEMENT

The youths, ranging from 12 to 18 years old, could receive sentences from probation to confinement in juvenile prison until age 25. All were charged with felony assault. The judge found eight of them guilty of hate crimes.

The attack occurred in an upscale area of the city known for its elaborate Halloween decorations.

Prosecutors said the confrontation began when a crowd of black youths threw objects at the three young white women. Some hurled racial insults and one was heard shouting "I hate whites," authorities said.

The group then attacked the victims, knocking them to the ground. The beating stopped when a black man driving by pulled the assailants away and shielded the women with his body, prosecutors said.

A 12-year-old girl was acquitted. And two 15-year-old boys face trial later on felony assault charges.

Defense attorneys tried to discredit a key prosecution witnesses, saying it was too dark and she was too far away to see the assailants. They also deemed a police identification procedure "tainted" because the victims and witnesses were not asked to describe the attackers until they were shown the 10 suspects.

About 100 people gathered outside the courthouse to learn the verdicts.

"Today's not a happy day," said Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Brian Schirn. "The victims still have to undergo physical treatment, emotional treatment."

Mark Crouch, 43, whose 14-year-old daughter was convicted, said he disagreed with the hate-crime finding. "It's not right to say she doesn't like white people," he said. "All we can do now is move on."

A representative of the beaten women, Douglas Otto, said they felt vindicated by the verdict and hope the defendants will "admit their wrongdoing and let the healing begin."

Long Beach, 22 miles south of downtown Los Angeles, is a major cargo port with a racially diverse population of 475,000 people.

Defense attorney Frank Williams, right, speaks to median outside a Long Beach, Calif., courthouse Friday Jan. 26, 2007 after a verdict convicting nine black youths of beating three white women in a racially charged attack on Halloween night. At left is Eddie Jones. (AP Photo/Nick Ut)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070127/ap_on_re_us/halloween_beatings
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Hero(m): 1:09am On Jan 28, 2007
Why are you calling on Sista? undecided
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Ndipe(m): 1:37am On Jan 28, 2007
Shouldn't I call on her to tackle this subject involving black youths attacking whites? Or, if it were the other way round, the discourse would have yielded a contentious debate on how whites hate blacks and so on and so forth.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Seun(m): 6:03pm On Jan 28, 2007
They got convicted. That's good. That's what the government is meant to be doing.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Eurphoria(f): 6:06pm On Jan 28, 2007
topic , brings a smile to my face among other things grin
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Coco29(f): 6:21pm On Jan 28, 2007
Seun:

They got convicted. That's good. That's what the government is meant to be doing.

some times they do not get it right, and from what i read on the issue the kids were Innocent.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Eurphoria(f): 6:23pm On Jan 28, 2007
oh off course they were. all little angels with halos for head gear
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Donzman(m): 7:20pm On Jan 28, 2007
I still stand my ground, evil knows no colour!
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Sista(f): 11:59pm On Jan 28, 2007
@Ndipe

This topic is silly. You found one case where finally black kids wanted to do to a white woman what has been done to black women for many, many years. Besides, from what I read, the whole story sounded very funny and corrupted. Plus, the kids got convicted, what more else do you want?

I can't begin to count how many countless white people got away with not only beating black people but actually killing them. shocked

This topic was only your way to try and get me all riled up. I swear, you guys call me crazy but you sure do like to here of my crazy thoughts on issues like this.

The people of nairaland is starting to become even more and more lame plus slow. undecided
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by delf747(m): 12:38am On Jan 29, 2007
edit
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Ndipe(m): 12:40am On Jan 29, 2007
Two wrongs dont make a right@sista. You have been away on AWOL for some time now.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by LadyT(f): 12:47am On Jan 29, 2007
Sista:

@Ndipe

This topic is silly. You found one case where finally black kids wanted to do to a white woman what has been done to black women for many, many years. Besides, from what I read, the whole story sounded very funny and corrupted. Plus, the kids got convicted, what more else do you want?

I can't begin to count how many countless white people got away with not only beating black people but actually killing them. shocked

This topic was only your way to try and get me all riled up. I swear, you guys call me crazy but you sure do like to here of my crazy thoughts on issues like this.

The people of nairaland is starting to become even more and more lame plus slow. undecided

Not doing yourself any favours saying that love,
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by WesleyanA(f): 4:34am On Jan 29, 2007
I'm not surprised

That's American society for you.
Something's going to happen soon and i can feel it. racial tensions have been building up for a while.

I'm thinking the civil rights movement (will involve other ethnic minorities) will reach it's peak again for the second time but then I'm not sure about organization.

@Sista, this isn't just one case. there are several cases like this. blacks taking on their hate for whites. the reverse also happens.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Sista(f): 4:36am On Jan 29, 2007
Two wrongs don't make a right@sista. You have been away on AWOL for some time now.

I never implied that what those boys did was right, as usual you guys just don't understand. Black people are human, do you not think that? If you believe black people are human, then you should undersand that as humans, they get tired of turning the left cheek and being the ones who accept being persecuted while not defending their self. These boys are young and for what ever reason, (if they did the crime) In their mind, they saw nothing wrong with a little pay back. Two wrongs don't make it right but two wrong sure make it even.

However in this case, What those boys did (if they did it) as I said earlier, nothing they did will ever make up for the many murdered black baby's black mothers and black men who have been and killed by white people. If you don't understand, that, I really don't give a good got damn. shocked

You are the same person who will say or contribute nothing to black students being killed by white racist some where in in Europe. You would accept that because to you, that would be normal and something we just have to keep our heads up to and stop looking in the past.

Not doing yourself any favours saying that love,

I am not doing my self any harm saying it either so what is your point?

You know what? You don't have to pull anything from your Bottom just to be able to join in on the band wagon which dedicates their Nairaland life to to chastising and bashing Sista.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Sista(f): 4:40am On Jan 29, 2007
@Sista, this isn't just one case. there are several cases like this. blacks taking on their hate for whites. the reverse also happens.

WesleyanA, I am sure it is not the first case but it is more than likely the first case in a long time where something like this has happen. I am sure it won't be the last case. Bottom line, black people especially in America, are tired of turning the left cheek, while praying to God tom come down here and rescue them from white racist people who don't give a damn about who they are as humans.

Black people are humans as well, they get fed up as well and the black youth these days don't know how to handle their emotions. Like I said, if they did this crime the way it is being said they did it.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Donzman(m): 4:54am On Jan 29, 2007
Sista so what is your point?. . .That this crime is a natural reaction to years of oppression?. . .It doesn't stand the test when you consider than none of these kids were enslaved nor have they been made to face any sort of racism. They were probably raised by bad mothers who told them all sorts of false things about whites.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by WesleyanA(f): 5:08am On Jan 29, 2007
Should they have done it? NO
is it a hate-crime? YES
do they deserve to be punished for it? Most definitely

They don't have any excuses. not even "years of oppression."
They should held a peaceful protest if they felt oppressed and needed to take some quick action.

not go beating some innocent person walking on the street just because she's white.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Sista(f): 7:44am On Jan 29, 2007
@Donzman

Sista so what is your point?. . .That this crime is a natural reaction to years of oppression?. . .It doesn't stand the test when you consider than none of these kids were enslaved nor have they been made to face any sort of racism. They were probably raised by bad mothers who told them all sorts of false things about whites.

You don't know the racism black people face here in America so I don't think you are fit to give an honest objective opinion on the nature of their actions. Also, if you had read from an un biased perspective, you would have noticed that there is no proof to suggest these kids are the ones who actually did the crime. America states that one is innocent until proven guilty, yet they lock you up like a criminal until it is proven that you are innocent. If you are poor and have no way to pay for a lawyer, you mine as well prepare your self to plead guilty for a shorter sentence weather you are guilty or not.

@WesleyanA
Should they have done it? NO
is it a hate-crime? YES
do they deserve to be punished for it? Most definitely

They don't have any excuses. not even "years of oppression."
They should held a peaceful protest if they felt oppressed and needed to take some quick action.

not go beating some innocent person walking on the street just because she's white.

You are absolutely right but we don't really know what happened. Most of the time when something happens to a white person, it gets pushed way out of proportion. If those kids did what it is being said that they did and it went down the way they said it went down, then yes, those kids should be punished but not to the point of several years in jail or death.

It seems to me like when it is said that a black person committed a crime, that many black people rally around to express how they despise what that black person did. It seems like they are more angry that that black person is representing them wrong. No one ever thinks on weather the black person really committed the crime or not and black people condemn that black person before it is proved that he or she is innocent or actually guilty. It is really a shame that black people hate and condemn their self to that degree.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Hero(m): 8:27am On Jan 29, 2007
They've got their killings in and we've got ours. The waaaaaaaay more blacks killed at the hand of white mobs were just as innocent as that Chick. You wont find to many African-Americans feeling too sad over this incident. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong, but just how it is and how it's probably always gonna be. Too much history's involved in the reasoning. The most feeling of sorrow you'd get over this from your average AA, is a sigh of "hum, damn!!" or a "damn, aint that somethin." Yet honestly, most wouldn't give a damn to be honest.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Ndipe(m): 10:00am On Jan 29, 2007
Sista, just reading your last discourse, I highly doubt that you are an African American woman. Maybe I am wrong, but ,
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Sista(f): 2:57pm On Jan 29, 2007
@Ndipe

Sista, just reading your last discourse, I highly doubt that you are an African American woman. Maybe I am wrong, but ,

If not African America, what then?

@Hero

How are you doing?
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Coco29(f): 8:53pm On Jan 29, 2007
@sista

smiley
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Hero(m): 12:07am On Jan 30, 2007
Let's veiw this icident in a more familure light for you Naija heads out there.

This is for all you Igbo folks out there. Let's say you lived in Northern Naija, and one day you hear about how so Igbo youths had decided that they were going to attack a Muslim women of so northern ethnic descent as a means to get out their hatred toward Northern Muslims for all the abuse there people (Igbo people) had received over the years at the hands of Northern Muslims, and in the process they end up putting that women into the same state of being as which the AA kids did that women. How sorry and or disturbed do you think your Average Igbo would be over such an incident? Think about that and in return you'd get what the average feeling in which the AA would feel over a situation like this.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Donzman(m): 12:11am On Jan 30, 2007
@Hero

The more you post, the more I see you do not know what the situation is like in Nigeria. An Igbo guy doing that will get LOADS of negative reactions because there are lots of Igbos who live in Northern Nigeria and make a living there. They also know that it's a minority of Northern youths who cause most of the commotion you read about.

Any Igbo guy who grew up in the North will tell you that Northerners do not HATE Southerners like TV or stories will make you believe. If you go and kill a random Northerner, you bear the consequences because there's lots of investment involved on the part of the Igbos.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by LadyT(f): 12:19am On Jan 30, 2007
Sista:

I never implied that what those boys did was right, as usual you guys just don't understand. Black people are human, do you not think that? If you believe black people are human, then you should undersand that as humans, they get tired of turning the left cheek and being the ones who accept being persecuted while not defending their self. These boys are young and for what ever reason, (if they did the crime) In their mind, they saw nothing wrong with a little pay back. Two wrongs don't make it right but two wrong sure make it even.

However in this case, What those boys did (if they did it) as I said earlier, nothing they did will ever make up for the many murdered black baby's black mothers and black men who have been and killed by white people. If you don't understand, that, I really don't give a good got damn. shocked

You are the same person who will say or contribute nothing to black students being killed by white racist some where in in Europe. You would accept that because to you, that would be normal and something we just have to keep our heads up to and stop looking in the past.

I am not doing my self any harm saying it either so what is your point?

You know what? You don't have to pull anything from your Bottom just to be able to join in on the band wagon which dedicates their Nairaland life to to chastising and bashing Sista.

Look you obviously get a kick out of thinking everyone hates you but please get a grip I didnt say anything to attack you I merely stated you were not doing yourself any favours by dissing the whole of Nairaland.

I think your views are twisted there are so extreme people like you should never and will never be in a position of power because you will do what was done to millions upon millions of Africans. Stop preaching about the injustices done to blacks incase you missed it some of us here are black we know but we aint got time to wollow in self pity

Instead of crying about it we are fighting back in positve ways not in hateful ways.  You cannot hate a whole race based on the actions of some. Skin colour is only melanin.  

You racists need to get over it and look to more important things.  
I am black and proud I dont need any pity because my people are "supposdly oppressed" I need to get off my Bottom and do something with my life and represent.

But really Sista you must have hypertension all this rage.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Sista(f): 3:44am On Jan 30, 2007
Look you obviously get a kick out of thinking everyone hates you but please get a grip I didnt say anything to attack you I merely stated you were not doing yourself any favours by dissing the whole of Nairaland.

If that is what you meant, you should have posted making more sense with more clarity.

I think your views are twisted there are so extreme people like you should never and will never be in a position of power because you will do what was done to millions upon millions of Africans. Stop preaching about the injustices done to blacks incase you missed it some of us here are black we know but we aint got time to wollow in self pity

Girl pleeeeze, what makes you think I want a position of power? You are not making sense even more so saying this here in the above.

Instead of crying about it we are fighting back in positve ways not in hateful ways. You cannot hate a whole race based on the actions of some. Skin colour is only melanin.

I swear you people in nairaland accuse me of Hate and you use the word hate more than I ever have.

You racists need to get over it and look to more important things.
I am black and proud I don't need any pity because my people are "supposedly oppressed" I need to get off my Bottom and do something with my life and represent.

Well then get off of your Bottom and leave me the hell alone with my hate filled self. grin

But really Sista you must have hypertension all this rage.

You know so much and yet so little.

Have a nice day and may your God be with you. shocked
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:51am On Jan 30, 2007
the white God with the white beard?

abi the Black Jews God?
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Donzman(m): 3:53am On Jan 30, 2007
lol!
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by delf747(m): 3:43pm On Jan 30, 2007
Sista:

@Donzman
It seems to me like when it is said that a black person committed a crime, that many black people rally around to express how they despise what that black person did. It seems like they are more angry that that black person is representing them wrong. No one ever thinks on weather the black person really committed the crime or not and black people condemn that black person before it is proved that he or she is innocent or actually guilty. It is really a shame that black people hate and condemn their self to that degree.

Sista,

White people don't wait around till the evidence is in before they condemn racism amongst their own so why should black people?

It's natural for people to want to distance themselves from wrongdoing that might be associated with them whether it be through race, religion, nationality, etc,

It certainly isn't self hate.

It's a healthy response to the actions of others who have got problems going on in their heads.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Sista(f): 4:02pm On Jan 30, 2007
White people don't wait around till the evidence is in before they condemn racism amongst their own so why should black people?

Do you see what you wrote?

So black people should do what white people do?

You don't even know what you are talking about. No one said anything about black people not waiting for evidence to be in before they condemn racism against their own. Did you bother to read? or better yet did you bother to at least comprehend what you read?

In your above quote, You are in a sense saying that because white people don't wait around for evidence on their people, it is perfectly natural for black people to follow behind white people as an example. Whatever white people do, it is perfectly natural. Black people should keep following behind white people and try to be like white people. If black people do this, everything they do will be natural and less impulsive eh? You make me sick.

Delf, you are so pathetic, and you say some silly stuff. I really wish you would not talk to me anymore because you are not worth having an intellectual argument with. Honestly I don't respect your attempt at intelligence and I think you are silly.
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by delf747(m): 4:57pm On Jan 30, 2007
Sista:

You don't even know what you are talking about. No one said anything about black people not waiting for evidence to be in before they condemn racism against their own. Did you bother to read?

Sista you said:

No one ever thinks on weather the black person really committed the crime or not and black people condemn that black person before it is proved that he or she is innocent or actually guilty

Firstly I said racism AMONGST their own - not against their own.

I was responding to the above quote. How can you now say you never said it when you just plainly did?

Its not a question of black people doing everything white people do.

As usual you exaggerate everything out of proportion.

We are ALL human and therefore in the majority of ways we behave the same, ie, we condemn and punish bad behaviour full stop.

If I bought up white people as an example of good behaviour it's only to counter your constant disparaging them.

Sista:

You make me sick.

Sista,

Don't puke on your floor for my sake!
Re: 9 Black Youths Convicted For hate crime, Where's Sista? by Eurphoria(f): 7:10pm On Jan 30, 2007
lmao

(0) (1) (2) (Reply)

How To Ignore Tribalism, Ethnic And Religious Extremism On Nairaland / Igbo & North,is developed than Yoruba,no lagos,they dont pay tax,nepa(Benin Rep / I Love Him And His Parents Hate Me Because I'm Not Nigerian!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.