Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Common Vocabulary Mistakes - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Vocabulary Mistakes (20064 Views)

16 Idioms Worth Investing Into Your Vocabulary / 8 Common Academic Related Slangs In Nigerian Universities / How To Increase Your Vocabulary Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Vocabulary Mistakes by cutelover19(m): 12:12am On May 11, 2017
Hi guys,
As a Nigerian i can't help but notice how we tend to overlook nuances in our vocabulary.
Today i will be discussing the differences between Sight, Site and Cite. As you would have noticed, the aforementioned words are homophones.

1. Sight: This directly refers to the ability to a person to see as a verb (action) e.g tell me when you sight seun. As a noun, it means the power/ faculty of seeing e.g a snake's sight is poor in dim light.

2. Site: A site is a geographical location/ point of the earth e.g the proposed site of an airport.

3. Cite: to quote or mention a book/ journal/ document (especially an authority on a subject) to support an argument or a theory e.g he cited the work of Albert Einstein to support his claim

Now that we know the differences and contexts within which such words should be used, can we go into the world and educate others? grin grin grin Thanks for your time, kindly like the article if you found it helpful

87 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by veekid(m): 7:28am On May 11, 2017
As long as the three has the same pronunciation; no lele Mr OP.

Nice thread sha

2 Likes

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by iceberryose(m): 7:29am On May 11, 2017
Nice observation.But since they're pronounced ALMOST same way you'd hardly notice during a speech.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by olaolulazio(m): 7:29am On May 11, 2017
This is a elephant grin cheesy
I don't want to spoke.
Keep sparking. lipsrsealed grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by curvilicious: 7:29am On May 11, 2017
I have nothing to say is since i already know their difference. Ekiti pple come nd learn o

1 Like

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Damidave1124(m): 7:29am On May 11, 2017
Nice..
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Florblu(f): 7:29am On May 11, 2017
And it makes front page? Hian!
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Josephamstrong1(m): 7:30am On May 11, 2017
cheesy
Your/you’re
We covered this one before in our post on homophones, but it’s such a widespread problem that there’s no harm in covering it again.

The rules:

“Your” indicates possession – something belonging to you.
“You’re” is short for “you are”.

Its/it’s
We said earlier that apostrophes should be used to indicate possession, but there is one exception to this rule, and that is the word “it”. Unsurprisingly, this exception gets lots of people confused.

The rules:

“It’s” is only ever used when short for “it is”.
“Its” indicates something belonging to something that isn’t masculine or feminine (like “his” and “hers”, but used when you’re not talking about a person).
If it helps, remember that inanimate objects can’t really possess something in the way a human can.

There/their/they’re
We’ve met this one before, too; it’s another example of those pesky homophones – words that sound the same but have different meanings.

The rules:

Use “there” to refer to a place that isn’t here – “over there”.
We also use “there” to state something – “There are no cakes left.”
“Their” indicates possession – something belonging to them.
“They’re” is short for “they are”.

Could/would/should of”
This common mistake arises because the contracted form of “could have” – “could’ve” – sounds a bit like “could of” when you say it out loud. This mistake is made frequently across all three of these words.

The rules:

When people write “should of”, what they really mean is “should have”.
Written down, the shortened version of “should have” is “should’ve”.
“Should’ve” and “Should have” are both correct; the latter is more formal.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by AyamConfidence(m): 7:30am On May 11, 2017
Lemme just add this one

LORD :- If you feel holy and like worshipping or you use it in the right way without disrespecting the bearer you can use this writing and pronunciation.....this one must not be joked with

E.g:- oh LORD I am very grateful

LAWD:- Nairalanders own way of trying to bypass disrespecting the Lord's title....this one can be used in all manner of jokes and sex related descriptions

E.g:- wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by jericco1(m): 7:30am On May 11, 2017
I was expecting an epistle bt well done.
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by iraborosasu: 7:30am On May 11, 2017
One Ibadan guy is somewhere reading this and wondering who the Op is deceiving grin grin grin cos if the pronunciation is the same, then the words are the same.

Runs out of thread

4 Likes

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by codedpee(m): 7:30am On May 11, 2017
I knew already.... Next... grin
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by vastolord4(m): 7:30am On May 11, 2017
@cutelover. U are sighted.
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by starmehigh: 7:31am On May 11, 2017
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Agimor(m): 7:31am On May 11, 2017
grin grin grin Next thread biko
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Fairgodwin(m): 7:31am On May 11, 2017
I sincerely think as well as believe everyone, I mean almost everyone knows all that.
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Partnerbiz(f): 7:31am On May 11, 2017
Thia must have been posted by a M0DS's younger brother.
Hiw can this rubbish make fp?

See below shaa.

1 Like

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Olufemi99(f): 7:32am On May 11, 2017
Educative

1 Like

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Tobicrystal(m): 7:32am On May 11, 2017
It's ok....but I think lots of us know the difference in these words....
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by skedemi(m): 7:33am On May 11, 2017
homophones
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by kennyz247(m): 7:33am On May 11, 2017
all resemble eachoda......anyway 9ce one

1 Like

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Rtopzy(f): 7:34am On May 11, 2017

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Samirana360(m): 7:35am On May 11, 2017
english is nt our language abeg
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by mrtegation99(m): 7:37am On May 11, 2017
Na people like this OP dey mistake English pass. Professor Okafor
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by EddyNumerouno(m): 7:37am On May 11, 2017
Get ready for your ban
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by Alasi20(m): 7:38am On May 11, 2017
Owkay
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by victornwaru(m): 7:38am On May 11, 2017
cutelover19:
Hi guys,
As a Nigerian i can't help but notice how we tend to overlook nuances in our vocabulary.
Today i will be discussing the differences between Sight, Site and Cite. As you would have noticed, the aforementioned words are homophones.

1. Sight: This directly refers to the ability to a person to see as a verb (action) e.g tell me when you sight seun. As a noun, it means the power/ faculty of seeing e.g a snake's sight is poor in dim light.

2. Site: A site is a geographical location/ point of the earth e.g the proposed site of an airport.

3. Cite: to quote or mention a book/ journal/ document (especially an authority on a subject) to support an argument or a theory e.g he cited the work of Albert Einstein to support his claim

Now that we know the differences and contexts within which such words should be used, can we go into the world and educate others? grin grin grin Thanks for your time, kindly like the article if you found it helpful
noted

1 Like

Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by mjabdulk: 7:40am On May 11, 2017
i have learned alot in this post.
Re: Common Vocabulary Mistakes by iceboy4752(m): 7:42am On May 11, 2017
Thanks guys. Those who don't know are the ones wailing. If they are called tomorrow to speak in public, they'll start blaspheming English language.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Attention! NOUN Has Just Released Its 3rd Batch Admission List: Go Check Your Names. / 20 Best Courses VS 20 Worse Courses In NIGERIA / Bowen University Expels 29 Students, Suspends 26 Indefinitely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.