Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! (38566 Views)

COVID-19 Affects Kidney And Blood – Akin Abayomi / "We Are Both AS Genotype And We Don't Consider Break-Up As An Option" / Knowing Your Genotype And Blood Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by DrEmekaO(m): 7:16am On May 11, 2017
Imagine I walk up to you and ask you this simple question, “What is your blood group?” What will be your answer? A Lot of times, most people I ask this question will retort sharply, “I am AA” or “I am not SS”. They go on to explain how they think the last test done confirms their answer; some even go as far as swearing that no body is a sickler in their household.

This, I notice is a common problem, even among the educated ones. The only group of people, I find, who would give a correct answer are pregnant women or nursing mothers. This is most likely because, as part of their routine ante natal care, is assessment of their blood group and genotype.

I hope to explain this two distinct concept, that have for a long time embarrassed many. Often, I have found myself also making this same mistake, but I hope to share some key things that make me decipher the difference in a split second.

Whenever I hear about Genotype, I think of the gene, normally in the nucleus, which is inside a human cell. The genotype is one of the factors that determines the physical appearance, phenotype, of a person. It is normally transferred from the parents to the offspring. This is why, a child may have some certain features of either or both of the parents. There are different genes for different traits. Genotypic manifestation, ie phenotype, is possible if the genes are in dominant or recessive pattern. I will pause here, so that you don’t mix up the next thing I am about to relay.

Blood group deals with just the red blood cells. These are proteins situated on the surface of a red blood cell. Think of it as blood group is outside a red cell while genotype is inside every cell.

Although there are different systems of blood groups, I just mention the two most popular – ABO blood group system and Rhesus factor system. An individual can either be Blood group A, B, AB or O.

When you check your lab result and it is written, your blood group is AB+, it simply means you have both antigen A and antigen B on the surface of your red blood cell. The (+) shows you are rhesus positive. This is exactly why people of blood group AB are called Universal Recipient.

O+ simply means that your red blood cell do jot have either antigen A or B on its surface, and the red cells are also positive to the rhesus factors. However, it should be noted that a person with blood group of O- is a known as a Universal Donor.

It can be confusion, I agree, but if you give this concepts a little more thought, then you would find it easy to interpret.

It is encouraged that every living person know his or her blood group and genotype. This knowledge could come in handy when you least expect it.

http://doctorsquarters.com/genotype-and-blood-group-fundamentally-different/

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by anitapreeti(f): 7:27am On May 11, 2017
Insightful smiley
It took me awhile to note the difference.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Buharimustgo: 7:50am On May 11, 2017
Nice one
Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by frugal(m): 9:18am On May 11, 2017
Only a dumb-dumb will mistaken blood group for genotype. We were all taught this in primary school.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Nobody: 11:36am On May 11, 2017
I
Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Nobody: 11:38am On May 11, 2017
I

201 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by iyanuden(m): 12:34pm On May 11, 2017
frugal:
Only a dumb-dumb will mistaken blood group for genotype. We were all taught this in primary school.

You too dey lie bros

113 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Tazdroid(m): 4:06pm On May 11, 2017
frugal:

Primary school wey we never sabi wetin blood be, not to talk of genotype.

This your testimony don make NEPA take light for here

145 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 11, 2017
frugal:
I see

51 Likes

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Nobody: 4:39pm On May 11, 2017
frugal:

Lai Mohammed will be proud! cool

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by sainttwist1(m): 8:26pm On May 11, 2017
frugal:
which primary school u attend bro....same with lai Mohammad abi

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Nickizoe(f): 10:32pm On May 11, 2017
frugal:
Primary school Choi!!!

If you had say secondary school like from Class 4, i for reason with you.. Bub primary school??

You get PHD with lia Muhammad

Kai! Even if you go Oxford high school if is actually a thing. undecided

38 Likes

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Onyenna(m): 10:49pm On May 11, 2017
AA and O+.....moi

1 Like

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Tekecoms1(m): 9:55am On May 12, 2017
frugal:
Mofor oooooooooo
What do you know sef?

13 Likes

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by veekid(m): 9:55am On May 12, 2017
frugal:
see as you just prove your stupidity for the whole world to see; you see your life?

Oya kneel down! I said kneeeeelll dooooowwwnnnnn

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Nobody: 9:58am On May 12, 2017
Okay what is Phynotype sef? grin

frugal:

[img]https://metrouk2.files./2016/04/throne-of-lies.gif[/img]

30 Likes

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by WetDreamz: 9:58am On May 12, 2017
veekid:
lienus
iyanuden:

You too dey lie bros
Tazdroid:

Primary school wey we never sabi wetin blood be, not to talk of genotype.

This your testimony don make NEPA take light for here
Tekecoms1:

Mofor oooooooooo
What do you know sef?
sainttwist1:
which primary school u attend bro....same with lai Mohammad abi
Amory:

Primary school

This your lie dey give me hard on
Abeg, It haff do no give the guy heart attack upon logging in...haba grin

19 Likes

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by pembisco(m): 9:58am On May 12, 2017
Nice post , but please do not try to explain this if yoy are not knowledgeable about it, allow the professionals to do that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by 0ntruth: 10:02am On May 12, 2017
frugal:

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Pavore9: 10:02am On May 12, 2017
frugal:

Everyone taught in primary school?

4 Likes

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by vickylincon(m): 10:03am On May 12, 2017
lol...abeg take am easy on the guy up there
Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by paskyboy: 10:03am On May 12, 2017
Nice
Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Bisjosh(f): 10:04am On May 12, 2017
AS, B+

Most adults dont know this.
You even ask the educated ones they say CB angry grin

If you and your spouse rhesus are different, u can suffer a miscarriage.. (ladies please know this in time and seek medical advise)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Nobody: 10:04am On May 12, 2017
Genotype "CC"
Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by isaac360: 10:05am On May 12, 2017
Looking for used monogram /embroidery machine. Single head or double head or four head. Please anyone with info contact my @ 08131557120.
Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by jashar(f): 10:05am On May 12, 2017
hmmm
Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Dipville(m): 10:05am On May 12, 2017
lovely piece, this is what Nairaland used to be...too bad

1 Like

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Nbote(m): 10:10am On May 12, 2017
I fit swear say dat mofo up there claiming primary skool knowledge didn't know d difference until he opened dis thread... Sit down, be humble...

4 Likes

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Ikem11(m): 10:11am On May 12, 2017
Amory:

Primary school

This your lie dey give me hard on
The guy is right.... I learnt it when I was in primary school. We should always mind the kind of schools our kids go to.

2 Likes

Re: Genotype And Blood Group: Learn Never To Forget The Difference!!! by Adesege(m): 10:12am On May 12, 2017
good

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) / Did People Die In Anambra After Receiving Calls From Strange Number, +666999? / Woman Delivered Of Triplets In Lagos, Dies Few Hours (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.