Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,346 members, 7,780,923 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:30 AM

Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash (36042 Views)

Bimbo Odukoya's Daughter, Tolu 30th Birthday Marked In Grand Style (photos) / Pastor Bimbo Odukoya Is In Hell? / My Pastor 'Saw Pastor Bimbo Odukoya In Hell'! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by nicetohave(m): 4:02pm On Dec 20, 2005
Amen
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by shollyaj(m): 4:46pm On Dec 20, 2005
It's pretty sad but i believe there should have been a proper check on those planes before take off.which wouldn't have been such calamities.... But we nigerians r always very funny when it comes to money aspect.I'm really sure they've noticed the Plane wasn't in good order but they will prefer having it risked because they know what it involves.................and is it a Good idea to take such risks with ones life? Too bad nigeria Too bad
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by shollyaj(m): 4:50pm On Dec 20, 2005
It's pretty sad but i believe there should have been a proper check on those planes before take off....which wouldn't have been such calamities.... But we nigerians r always very funny when it comes to money aspect....I'm really sure they've noticed the Plane wasn't in good order but they will prefer having it risked cos they know what it involves.................and is it a Good idea to take such risks with ones life?  Too bad nigeria Too bad
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by ayomorocco(f): 11:54am On Dec 27, 2005
(A PERSONAL TRIBUTE TO BIMBO ODUKOYA)

On Saturday the 10th of December 2005, I was laying on my bed in my room when I heard the news that there had been yet another plane crash in Nigeria (the second in less than 7 weeks). I sat bolt upright wondering what the cause of the crash might be and concluding (maybe unreasonably or otherwise) that in all probability it was likely the result of the incompetence and negligence that generally pervades most things to do with Nigeria. At that moment, my thoughts went out to the families of the victims and I hoped that the victims did not suffer in the crash before they died. I did not feel that I knew anyone on the ill-fated flight.

The next day (which was Sunday the 11th of December 2005), I went to work for some overtime and when I got in, two of my work mates who are Nigerian walked up to my work-station and they started to talk about the crash. It was at this time that one of them told me that Pastor Bimbo Odukoya had been on the plane that had crashed. Upon hearing my shocked exclamation, she was quick to reassure me that she had been “reliably” informed that Pastor Bimbo was one of the seven people who had survived the crash. I asked her time and again about Pastor Bimbo’s safety and she reiterated that all was well with Pastor Bimbo. I made a mental note to give Pastor Bimbo a call the next day (thinking that she’d probably be bombarded with calls from well-wishers that Sunday) at the same time thanking God that she was alright and for giving me the opportunity to re-establish contact with her (in the past I had put off calling her)

At almost 3.00pm, my workmate came back to me looking quite flustered and said she was leaving for home. However, before she left, she dropped what happened to be a bombshell to me. She told me that Pastor Bimbo had actually lost her life in the crash. Time stood still. I gawped at her and did not particularly realise when she left. Somewhere in the distance, I could hear another of my workmates calling my name softly it seemed, then with some urgency (he realised that I must have gotten some shattering news). However, my mind was not there. Sitting at my work-station, I had begun a mental journey that spanned over 5years. I sat there thinking of the first time I had the privilege to meet Bimbo Odukoya (Associate Pastor of The Fountain of Life Church):

DATELINE: May 2000 (and thereafter)

VENUE: The Nigerian Law School, Bwari, Abuja. Nigeria

SEQUENCE OF EVENTS:
I was a student at the Nigerian Law School in Abuja studying to become a solicitor and advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, and the Christian
Lawyers Fellowship of Nigeria (CLASFON) had organised a two-day programme with Pastor Bimbo Odukoya ministering. In the past, I had seen snippets of her programme ‘Single and Married’ on TV. However, it wasn’t my cup of tea as I had been of the opinion that people who attended the fellowship were either people who had relationship problems or those who were looking for husbands/wives.

I was persuaded by some of my old school mates to attend the event and I attended the first day of the ministering with a couple of my close mates. I was practically blown away by Pastor Bimbo. Contrary to what I had thought, the preaching was not dominated by what I had feared would be the “get yourself a good partner” message, but dealt with a wide gamut of issues ranging from the mundane to the sublime. Her message struck a chord in me. To say that I was impressed won’t even begin to cut the mark. Wild horses were not going to keep me away from the second day’s ministering which was to take place in the evening.

In the afternoon of the following day, Pastor Bimbo was doing a one-on-one counselling session alongside some people who came down with her (prior to her evening ministering). One of the organisers (Opeyemi) asked if I’d like to see her and since I had enjoyed the previous day’s programme, I was up for it.

[At this point, I must say that prior to my encounter with Pastor Bimbo, I had been one of those Christians who are content to sit on the fence. I was not a practising Christian. I seldom went to church as I did not want to be affiliated to any church. In fact I guarded my ‘spiritual independence’ very jealously. I was basically one of those Christians who was a Christian simply because I was born one and for no other significant reason. I held some extremely cynical views regarding Christian life in Nigeria, especially the direction churches in Nigeria were being run and I was quite vocal about my cynicism].

I was led into the room where the one-on-one sessions were being held and Opeyemi introduced me to Pastor Bimbo and told her that I held some radical views on Christianity. From the onset, Pastor Bimbo was very friendly and down-to-earth. She asked to hear about the views I held and wanted to know the rationale for those views. I walked her through my arguments and she was equally free with her opinions. She did not try to force her religious views on me. On the surface, her approach seemed laid back, but she was passionate and was extremely persuasive in her arguments too. She was enthusiastic about working for the Lord and I was quite intrigued. We talked for ages like old friends and the time just whizzed past (what should have been a 10 – 15 minute session ended up lasting well over an hour. We had to round up the session because she needed to get back into town to freshen up and prepare for the evening’s ministering). Whilst we chatted, there was a paradigm shift on some of the views I had hitherto held. At the end of the session, she gave me her card and invited me to attend her church in Lagos (Fountain of Life) to see if I liked it and said that if I did, I was welcome to become a member of the Fountain family. Just before I left, she asked by which name she should call me. I said she could call me ‘Ayo Morocco’ or simply ‘Morocco’ like my friends did. She preferred to call me Morocco and that was that.

Later that evening, I went for the programme and after the Praise and Worship session, we prayed and then Pastor Bimbo took over. She thanked us for having her and went on to say that she had made some new friends. I was taken aback when she asked “Is Morocco here tonight?” and my friends whooped. I stood up and raised my hand at the same time and she said to everyone “I had a very interesting time talking to Morocco this afternoon and I believe that we would remain friends.” She went on to minister for the rest of the evening and again I was impressed by the way she preached, particularly about her interest in the issues which were important to the younger generation, spinsters, bachelors (and even those already married). We closed the programme with a prayer and Pastor Bimbo left with her entourage.

After that programme, I became a member of CLASFON and in the subsequent months, completed my studies at the Law School.

I returned to Lagos in the middle of July 2000. On my first Sunday back, I decided to try out The Fountain of Life Church. I arrived there a little late for the second service and had to sit in the ‘overflow’ section. I enjoyed the service and made a mental note to come earlier next time so that I could see the Pastor on the pulpit (not just hear him) as well as the choir when they were singing.

After the service, I made some enquiries as to where I could see Pastor Bimbo and was directed to her office, which was located upstairs at the back of the church. Upon reaching the top landing, there were lots of people waiting to see both Pastors Bimbo and Taiwo. There were also some ushers trying to manage the throng of people as well as create a path for the Pastors to come through. I was standing in a corner somewhere towards the back half of the crowd when Pastor Bimbo came upstairs. She stopped to exchange pleasantries with people along the way her face scanning the crowd as she moved along. Her gaze fell on me for a split second and moved on. Then she did a double-take and literarily let out a cry saying “Morocco, you came”, and then turning to the people who had come upstairs with her, she went on, “You people should come and meet my friend Morocco.” I was delighted that she remembered me and gobsmacked at her reaction. She told them to let me through to her office.

Thus began my relationship with Pastor Bimbo in which she was my Pastor and Mentor. Despite her heavy schedule, she made herself easily accessible giving me her different phone numbers. Anytime I needed help and guidance, she was there providing me with words of wisdom, tapes, books and other materials for my spiritual edification and growth. She also introduced me to Mrs. Lara Akomolafe and said if I had any problems and she was not available, Mrs. Akomolafe would help me. Despite this, she still provided me with a listening ear and gave me invaluable advice on various issues I sought her opinion on.

A couple of years passed in this way and in 2002, while helping her to do some editing work, I told her that I intended to go to the UK for my Masters studies but couldn’t do so without getting a scholarship. She prayed with me and for me regarding the scholarship and told me to rest easy as she knew I’d get one. I was awarded not one but two scholarships and left the country in the autumn to undertake my Masters education. Initially, I kept in touch with Pastor Bimbo by calling her. But after a while, I let things slide. Then a friend of mine and someone else from the church got in touch with me and told me that she was trying to get in touch with me. I resumed contact, but once again, I lost touch. I subsequently tried to call her, but when I could not get through, I resolved to e-mail Lara Akomolafe to get her new number. I never got around to doing this as I kept putting it off till the next day (“I’ll do it tomorrow”, I said to myself day after day).

BACK TO SUNDAY THE 11TH OF DECEMBER 2005:
The news of the death of Pastor Bimbo left me shattered and quite confused. I have since experienced a plethora of emotions ranging from an immense sense of loss to anger (at myself) for putting off time and again what I could have easily done. Avoid putting off till tomorrow what you can do today as procrastination is the thief of time. Moreover, one never knows when one will run out of tomorrows.
I am filled with regret that I never actually got to let her know how much impact she had on my life and how much spiritual growth I achieved due to her gentle, kind and considerate nurturing. I never really got to tell her how much I loved and admired her as well as let her know how I appreciated her making the time to be there for me (despite her busy schedule) when I needed her.

No matter how much loss I may feel, I know that this can only be but a minute fraction of the pain being felt by her family. My heart goes out to Pastor Bimbo’s husband, children, parents and siblings who are obviously devastated by their loss. I pray the Lord would provide them succour in their time of need.

I draw consolation from knowing that hers was a life well spent. I have over the years heard the phrase “With gratitude to God for a life well spent” used in different eulogies and in the past, I used to wonder what a life well spent was. I can unequivocally say that Pastor Bimbo’s life was indeed a life that was well (excellently) spent. For I can think of no better way to spend your life than to dedicate it to the service of the Lord and of mankind. Pastor Bimbo was a person who was easily recognisable on sight to millions of people due to her unique work. In her short but relevant life, she touched numerous lives and gallantly fought to win souls for Christ. She was a beautiful person, both inside and out. She died while she was in ACTIVE SERVICE of the Master and this, in my opinion was a good way to go (the fact that she died as a result of a plane crash should not derogate from the important fact that she was called to glory while she was in the process of carrying out duties for the Lord).

I remember one of the early conversations I had with Pastor Bimbo when I had questioned the existence of heaven and hell. I had said to her that no one really knew for certain if there really is God or a heaven and/or a hell as no one had come back from either place to tell us about their existence. My argument was that Christianity (and many other religions in general) had to rely deeply on faith and that faith is only necessary where there are questions unanswered not where everything is proven, since that would be a knowledge of the existence of certain facts. I recall saying to her that I would hate to die only to discover that there is no heaven as I may have missed out on the “good” life in my quest to make it to heaven.

I shall never forget what her response was. She said “Morocco, though I am definitely confident that God exists, let us assume for the sake of this argument that there is neither God nor heaven and hell. If that was the case, I will not choose to live my life any differently. I surely would not let any man disrespect me by having sex outside marriage nor will I want to do anything evil to hurt another human being. It does not take anything away from me to be my brother’s keeper. I like the life I am living and if in the end, it turns out that there is no God, I won’t have lost anything, as going by any standard, I would have lived a good life. However, if on the other hand, you are wrong and I am right, as I know I am, do you want to take the chance of going to hell? As far as I am concerned, that isn’t an option. There is nothing so good as to see people turn away from their worldly ways and give their lives to Christ. I am happy that God has chosen to use me for this purpose.”

During her brief sojourn on earth, Pastor Bimbo walked amongst giants and she stood heads and shoulders taller than them all. She was an exemplary role model whose footsteps are firmly and indelibly imprinted in the sands of time. Her legacy lives on in the lives of the millions she touched.

Despite feeling a sense of loss, I give great thanks to God for her life and for making her pass through this earth (in my generation) albeit for a brief while. I give greater praise that I had the privilege of knowing her and of being touched by her.

Pastor Bimbo, you have lived a good life and run a good race. While on this earth, you gave a good account of yourself. Thank you for being so kind and wonderful. I know that you are resting in the bosom of the Father. I shall never forget you.

WITH GRATITUDE TO GOD FOR A LIFE WELL SPENT, I PAY TRIBUTE TO A VIRTUOUS WOMAN - PASTOR ROSEMARY ABIMBOLA ODUKOYA

BY

Ayodele Morocco-Clarke

2 Likes

Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by yummy(m): 2:27am On Jan 08, 2006
it's very funny pilots are not well trained in NG. no plane simulator in Nigeria. hard to believe! If the plane services can't reach international standard, government should just 4get about 'em and start a project on underground / train services within d country. we can't keep loosing people b'cos of some silly xcuses. Enough of this embarrassment to our country. it wasn't too long that air-France hit cows, gosh! it's unheard of! God helping us! R.I.P to d dead.

1 Like

Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by nicetohave(m): 3:09am On Jan 08, 2006
Amen
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by kaylala(m): 2:00pm On Jan 08, 2006
Pls check out this book by the deceased.

How to choose a life partner

I read it and it was so nice cool
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by dablessed(f): 4:17pm On Jan 08, 2006
kaylala:

Please check out this book by the deceased.

How to choose a life partner

I read it and it was so nice cool

Yep Kay! Its a must-have. I have a copy too.
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by gentleone(f): 2:26pm On Feb 20, 2006
i read it in the headline news of Ltv8 that someone survived the crash. is it true?
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by gentleone(f): 4:58pm On Feb 20, 2006
yea, someone indeed survived.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2006/feb/15/national%20-15-02-2006-003.htm
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by larger20(m): 7:07pm On Feb 20, 2006
Picture is up here

http://www.tribune.com.ng/sun/190206/news03.htm

Yes someone survived
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by queen2(f): 7:18pm On Feb 20, 2006
Aww im sooooooooo happy for them cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by macalurs(m): 3:18am On Nov 23, 2006
Yeah God goes fishing from time to time. That's the only explanation for this tragedy. cry angry
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by lioness(f): 9:03am On Nov 23, 2006
i still weep cry
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by Bolarge(m): 12:14pm On Nov 23, 2006
Met her just once (when she came to UCH med schl).
Like someone said: "She's indeed beautiful in-and-out"
Said "is" because Bimbo Odukoya lives on.
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by lioness(f): 8:56am On Nov 24, 2006
cry
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by queen2(f): 8:03pm On Nov 24, 2006
Almost a year now cry

They should be remembered
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by lioness(f): 1:06pm On Dec 06, 2006
cry
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by oje(m): 12:32pm On Dec 07, 2006
MOROCCO, (your name is funny though),

Your tribute is great! I could not stop reading it till the end. The richness of your vocabulary is equally excellent.
You have proven the kind of stuff Nigerian law students are made of. I am most impressed.

I want to assure you that even though you did not have the opportunity to fully show you appreciation to Pastor Bimbo, she Is seeing you from Heaven, She can only be impressed if her impact in you continues to be evident in your life.

I love her dearly and miss her so much. May her soul rest in perfect peace, Amen.

NB:
Sorry i only got to comment one year late.
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by macalurs(m): 5:44pm On Dec 09, 2006
what do we want from life? must I ask to be told?

Saddening and sickening. We all miss her, if not for anything, for being her.
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by Easyy(m): 7:11pm On Dec 09, 2006
I met her when I was a member of Love Ward in Unilag and she used to come and mimister to us along with Bros Tee, now Pastor Taiwo Odukoya. She was always refreshing, and her brother was the President of Love Ward Fellowship.

She was also the Head of my Department in Church (before Fountain of Life started) and she was a great blessing to my life. I happened to have been in Lagos when she died and I needed consolation from my family members.

Her life MINISTERED to me in a lot of ways and what I learnt from herself and her husband are not things you learn from any institution in the world.

I look forward to meeting her in Heaven.
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by UPRISING: 9:59pm On Aug 08, 2007
I CAN'T JUST HELP WITH THE TEARS ON MY CHECK'S.
IF A WOMAN OF GOD IS GONE, THEN WHAT IS LIFE?
IF NOT PAINS AND SUFFERING WITH HARD LABOR,
GOD PLS ACEPT HER LOVER HEART WITH UR TENDER
MERCY, AND GIVE WE THE GRACE TO SERVE YOU TILL
THE END OF TIME, WITHOUT YOUR HELP WE CAN'T DO
ANYTHING, PLS HELP US GOD, AMEN.
PASTOR BINBO' MAY YOUR LOVELY SOUL
REST IN PERFECT PEACE.
I WISH TO SEE YOU IN HEAVEN AT LAST,
WE LOVE U, BUT GOD LOVE YOU MORE,
(GOODBYE) THE SADDEST WORD
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by layi(m): 12:05am On Aug 13, 2007

I remember one of the early conversations I had with Pastor Bimbo when I had questioned the existence of heaven and hell. I had said to her that no one really knew for certain if there really is God or a heaven and/or a hell as no one had come back from either place to tell us about their existence. My argument was that Christianity (and many other religions in general) had to rely deeply on faith and that faith is only necessary where there are questions unanswered not where everything is proven, since that would be a knowledge of the existence of certain facts. I recall saying to her that I would hate to die only to discover that there is no heaven as I may have missed out on the “good” life in my quest to make it to heaven.

I shall never forget what her response was. She said “Morocco, though I am definitely confident that God exists, let us assume for the sake of this argument that there is neither God nor heaven and hell. If that was the case, I will not choose to live my life any differently. I surely would not let any man disrespect me by having sex outside marriage nor will I want to do anything evil to hurt another human being. It does not take anything away from me to be my brother’s keeper. I like the life I am living and if in the end, it turns out that there is no God, I won’t have lost anything, as going by any standard, I would have lived a good life. However, if on the other hand, you are wrong and I am right, as I know I am, do you want to take the chance of going to hell? As far as I am concerned, that isn’t an option. There is nothing so good as to see people turn away from their worldly ways and give their lives to Christ. I am happy that God has chosen to use me for this purpose.”

I plead with everyone to read these passages over and over and over again till its sticks. nothing can be truer than this.
Pastor bimbo, I love you.
Morroco, thumbs up!
Re: Pastor Bimbo Odukoya in Sosoliso Plane Crash by satani22: 6:33pm On May 20, 2011
Oh no the world go end in 6 hours time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Pictures You Will Understand If You Dodged Going To Church As A Kid / Biodun Fatoyinbo Demands N50m From Busola Dakolo, Files Counter-claim / What Is "Sexually Transmitted Demons"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.