Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. (5735 Views)

Ford Self-driving Cars Are Now Delivering Domino Pizzas Across Miami / Waymo Self-driving Cars Becomes Soft Before Hitting A Pedestrian / 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Explorers(m): 1:16pm On May 13, 2017
In just a few years, well-mannered self-driving robotaxis will share the roads with reckless, law-breaking human drivers.

The prospect is causing migraines for the people developing the robotaxis.

A self-driving car would be programmed to drive at the speed limit.

Self-driving cars wouldn't dare cross a double yellow line; humans do it all the time.

And then there are those odd local traffic customs to which humans quicklyadapt.

In Los Angeles and other places, for instance, there's the 'California Stop,' where drivers roll through stop signs if no traffic is crossing.

'It's hard to program in human stupidity or someone who really tries to gamethe technology,' says John Hanson, spokesman for Toyota's autonomous car unit.

1 Share

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 13, 2017
Strolls in....
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Explorers(m): 1:20pm On May 13, 2017
Intel expects fully autonomous cars to collect, process and analyze four terabytes of data in 1 ½ hours of driving, which is the average amount a person spends in a car each day.

That's equal to storing over 1.2 million photos or 2,000 hours of movies.

Such computing power now costs over $100,000 per vehicle.

That's because programmers have to figure out human behavior and local traffic idiosyncrasies.

And teaching a car to use that knowledge will require massive amounts of data and big computing power that is prohibitively expensive at the moment.

'Driverless cars are very rule-based, and they don't understand social graces,' says Missy Cummings, director of Duke University's Humans and Autonomy Lab.

Driving customs and road conditions are dramatically different across the globe, with narrow, congested lanes in European cities, and anarchy in Beijing's giant traffic jams.

In India's capital, New Delhi, luxury cars share poorly marked and congested lanes with bicycles, scooters, trucks, and even an occasional cow or elephant.Then there is the problem of aggressive humans who make dangerous moves such as cutting cars off on freeways or turning left in front of oncoming traffic.

In India, for example, even when lanes are marked, drivers swing from lane to lane without hesitation.

Already there have been isolated cases of human drivers pulling into the path of cars such as Teslas, knowing they will stop because they're equipped with automatic emergency braking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4495308/Whats-holding-self-driving-cars-Human-drivers.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by LeJeun3: 1:23pm On May 13, 2017

Laziness....

3 Likes

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Explorers(m): 1:33pm On May 13, 2017
Kathy Winter, vice president of automated driving solutions for Intel, is optimistic that the cars will be able to see and think like humans before 2030.

1 Like

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by sureteeboy(m): 2:26pm On May 13, 2017
Explorers:
Intel expects fully autonomous cars to collect, process and analyze four terabytes of data in 1 ½ hours of driving, which is the average amount a person spends in a car each day.

That's equal to storing over 1.2 million photos or 2,000 hours of movies.

Such computing power now costs over $100,000 per vehicle.

That's because programmers have to figure out human behavior and local traffic idiosyncrasies.

And teaching a car to use that knowledge will require massive amounts of data and big computing power that is prohibitively expensive at the moment.

'Driverless cars are very rule-based, and they don't understand social graces,' says Missy Cummings, director of Duke University's Humans and Autonomy Lab.

Driving customs and road conditions are dramatically different across the globe, with narrow, congested lanes in European cities, and anarchy in Beijing's giant traffic jams.

In India's capital, New Delhi, luxury cars share poorly marked and congested lanes with bicycles, scooters, trucks, and even an occasional cow or elephant.Then there is the problem of aggressive humans who make dangerous moves such as cutting cars off on freeways or turning left in front of oncoming traffic.

In India, for example, even when lanes are marked, drivers swing from lane to lane without hesitation.

Already there have been isolated cases of human drivers pulling into the path of cars such as Teslas, knowing they will stop because they're equipped with automatic emergency braking.
4TB? These cars can't function here in Nigeria. shocked shocked
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Dayoto: 3:13pm On May 13, 2017
Explorers:
Kathy Winter, vice president of automated driving solutions for Intel, is optimistic that the cars will be able to see and think like humans before 2030.
This one is more than WEAK ME!
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by hahn(m): 4:03pm On May 13, 2017
sureteeboy:

When they get to 3.99TB NEPA go just take light grin

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Gosj01(m): 4:07pm On May 13, 2017
Mk i buy land here first
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by tk4rd: 4:08pm On May 13, 2017
I need me one of these..
I would be taking my rides on rooftops.
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by galadima77(m): 7:24pm On May 13, 2017
Impressive... We should quickly fix our roads to accommodate these vehicles... Then equip FRSC with RPGs... Then we'll be ready to go!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Nobody: 10:14pm On May 13, 2017
Self driving cars would never fully integrate into the Nigerian transport system.

How many years now:
i)Nigerians are yet to embrace electronic banking.
ii)No good power supply, generators wan tear my ear.
iii)We still have bad roads.
iv)Can the car stop for VIO, Police, Army, FRSC, LASTMA...even LAWMA grin?
v)We no kuku get the kind internet connection e need. Banks are still struggling to see good server, which one come remain for motor?

My greatest fear be say, one unfortunate kazeem fit go commot one wire, "oga e no dey do anything, commot am".
The car go enter road dey misbehave. tongue

Human drivers isn't the challenge in Nigeria, e serious pass that one.

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Nobody: 12:48am On May 14, 2017
PaperLace:
Self driving cars would never fully integrate into the Nigerian transport system.

How many years now:
i)Nigerians are yet to embrace electronic banking.
ii)No good power supply, generators wan scatter my ear.
iii)We still have bad roads.
iv)Can the car stop for VIO, Police, Army, FRSC, LASTMA...even LAWMA grin?
v)We no kuku get the kind internet connection e need. Banks are still struggling to see good server, which one come remain for motor?

My greatest fear be say, one unfortunate kazeem fit go commot one wire, "oga e no dey do anything, commot am".
The car go enter road dey misbehave. tongue

Human drivers isn't the challenge in Nigeria, e serious pass that one.
This part got me laughing really hard :: My greatest fear be say, one unfortunate kazeem fit go commot one wire, "oga e no dey do anything, commot am".
The car go enter road dey misbehave.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Nobody: 2:21am On May 14, 2017
dumo1:

This part got me laughing really hard :: My greatest fear be say, one unfortunate kazeem fit go commot one wire, "oga e no dey do anything, commot am".
The car go enter road dey misbehave.
That one na just talk o, I doubt anyone would give such a car to Kazeem. Anyone that tries that, should be charged for "attempted mass murder".

Well, Kazeem would most definitely stare at the engine bay _like it's the 8th Wonder of the World. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Nobody: 3:08am On May 14, 2017
PaperLace:

That one na just talk o, I doubt anyone would give such a car to Kazeem. Anyone that tries that, should be charged for "attempted mass murder".

Well, Kazeem would most definitely stare at the engine bay _like it's the 8th Wonder of the World. cheesy
I concur. like my kazeem mechanic would say "Oyinbo are wizards"
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by diportivo: 2:16pm On May 14, 2017
Explorers:

mad peeps everywhere grin
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by ipreach: 7:08am On May 15, 2017
Contact me for an affordable blog 0806021-8705
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Dottore: 7:08am On May 15, 2017
Ok
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by praisekeyzz(m): 7:08am On May 15, 2017
Walking in quietly..
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Chuukwudi(m): 7:09am On May 15, 2017
Nice
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Aburi001: 7:10am On May 15, 2017
sureteeboy:

The Enehen Junction in Warri as a case study grin

1 Like

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by tk4rd: 7:11am On May 15, 2017
Wawuuu.!!
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by smartty68(m): 7:11am On May 15, 2017
Impressive.

Even in the next 10 decades Nigeria won't still be developed - Rogued Nation;

In Rick Ross Voice; "One Nation on the ground"
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Nobody: 7:14am On May 15, 2017
yes
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Pomlord(m): 7:18am On May 15, 2017
Don't just go and buy a badly Naija used of these models. E fit drive you enter lagoon .

3 Likes

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by ANIEXTY(m): 7:20am On May 15, 2017
Wait !, what if this car gets to a check point, how does it recognise the police (for example naija police now wey dey like fire if car no gree stop when they are odered to) ?
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by HalbondAdmin: 7:20am On May 15, 2017
Fact

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by afroxyz: 7:23am On May 15, 2017
From prior test, driverless cars have also had crashes and cases of near fatalities. Besides people have said that the 'feel' of driving beats the process of just sitting in a car and being chauffeured around.

1 Like

Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Nobody: 7:27am On May 15, 2017
When the car jam Lagos traffic...na that day the tin go start to they malfunction
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by Adesege(m): 7:33am On May 15, 2017
Re: Human Drivers, The Biggest Challenge Facing Self Driving Cars' Developers. by sakalisis(m): 7:43am On May 15, 2017
Good

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Benz E350 Wise For A First Time Driver? / Durability Of Suzuki Every Mini / Best Car list for 2020 And Their Price In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.