Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,091 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! (2992 Views)

Unfinished Business (21+ - A Story Of Betrayal, Sex And Infidelity) / Top 10 Writers And Stories On Nairaland 2018(check It Out) / The Best Stories On Nairaland Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 3:39pm On May 13, 2017
I understand that writers are humans too and they can become very busy with other stuffs that might hinder them from completing their stories but then how about finish typing everything on your laptop or phone and then just copying and pasting, don't you think it is better that way? Than starting something you know you will never finish, thereby leaving unfinished stories everywhere on nairaland. . .

PS: and for those who are not literarily inclined, it's high time you stop embarrassing yourselves already with stupid stories all around!!! #Pissed

2 Likes

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by NeeKlaus: 4:00pm On May 13, 2017
Rada rada.

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Akposb(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2017
Judging by the behaviour of most writers, they are largely learners who willing take the plunge but are unable to continue the race. Story writing is not easy and I must say your suggestion about writing many pages before pasting is okay but inspiration sometimes is gotten from the comments if Nairalanders. My little advice, read works here with less seriousness as they are only works in progress.
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by jey4all(m): 6:47am On May 14, 2017
100 percent correct. You hardly see a complete story here on nairaland. Very bad

2 Likes

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Creeza(m): 11:48am On May 14, 2017
Op , That was harsh... ( lemmy123)

Well literally inclined human being like you think yourself to be . lemme ask you a question. ..

Shey it's free you are reading the stories on nairaland?

if you have a little sense in that cranium of yours you call a skull, like I even care, you'd be wise enough to understand that these are inspirations from random sources and most times an idea may seem like a great story at first but when you dive into it , you discover its a dead end.

That's what you call the dreaded " Writers block

It takes courage to weave the cramped up story at that point , into something people will read and believe.

And the issue about typing and finishing the project first- Mhen you ain't seen shit .

Now you might say I'm taking this personal but think it through , WIP'S generates more ideas than when you write without other people giving reviews. And note, you need a very good editor to spot errors - I'm not talking about your grandma telling you that your stroy is good - Kill me Bros .

Ruthless editors will make your work perfect, but you can move around that by using THE WIP method.
wink

Stop being a critic without adequate research. . . I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong, the stories you read on nairaland are all patterned this way:

Goal - act 1

Conflict - act 2

disaster - end of act 2

conflict resolution ( climax and decline in story line ) - act 3

End - conclusion

Scene - Motivation , reaction ; leads to
sequel and sequel - Motivation, reaction ; then scene again ....

It takes practice to master this, you can't even start to imagine.

Now please take your complaints about incomplete stories to somewhere where it will serve a purpose , because this argument is already lost from your POV.

cc

lalalasticlala
obinnau
mynd44
divepen1
chumzypinky
rachealfst
queenitee
hadampson
IamFeva
oly23

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by queenitee(f): 12:22pm On May 14, 2017
That's what I always say, before you criticize a writer, pick up a pen and try writing something, it's not easy. Readers think writing is just picking up a pen and writing something? No, it's not easy to create evnets, people, places and all in your head.
Also, like creeza said you can start something and get lost, you don't know how to complete it just because you want to give your readers the best and make your story meaningful. Many times, I start to write something but I drop it without completing it because I don't know how to complete it. So the best you can do is encourage the writers. Your encouragement would inspire them to give regular update and not your complains. It's not easy.
And also remember, writers have a life outside Nairaland

Imagine, you don't even pay to read those stories..

Anyways, I think writers can write their stories down or finish typing on phones or laptop and then paste it here.

Cc
Creeza

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Creeza(m): 1:13pm On May 14, 2017
Anyways, I think writers can write their stories down or finish typing on phones or laptop and then paste it here.

Cc
Cree

[/quote]

♧ LOL grin she still pick out that point... anyways , not all writers on nairaland have laptops ... especially me grin so I use my phone.
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by olab059(m): 1:50pm On May 14, 2017
Creeza:

Well literally inclined human being like you think yourself to be . lemme ask you a question. ..

if you have a little sense in that cranium of yours you call a skull, like I even care, you'd be wise enough to understand that these are inspirations from random sources and most times an idea may seem like a great story at first but when you dive into it , you discover its a dead end.

It takes courage to weave the cramped up story at that point , into something people will read and believe.

And the issue about typing and finishing the project first- Mhen you ain't seen shit .

Now you might say I'm taking this personal but think it through , WIP'S generates more ideas than when you write without other people giving reviews. And note, you need a very good editor to spot errors - I'm not talking about your grandma telling you that your stroy is good - Kill me Bros .

Ruthless editors will make your work perfect, but you can move around that by using THE WIP method.
wink

Stop being a critic without adequate research. . . I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong, the stories you read on nairaland are all patterned this way:

Goal - act 1

Conflict - act 2

disaster - end of act 2

End - conclusion

Now please take your complaints about incomplete stories to somewhere where it will serve a purpose , because this argument is already lost from your POV.

cc

lalalasticlala
obinnau
mynd44
divepen1
chumzypinky
rachealfst
queenitee
hadampson
IamFeva
oly23

Thank you jare. The OP was very harsh with his post and seems like a pompous dude. He thinks it is easy to start a finish and story.

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by olab059(m): 1:52pm On May 14, 2017
queenitee:
That what I always say, before you criticize a writer, pick up a pen and try writing something, it's not easy. Readers think writing is just picking up a pen and writing something? No, it's not easy to create evnets, people, places and all in your head.
Also, like creeza said you can start something and get lost, you don't know how to complete it just because you want to give your readers the best and make your story meaningful. Many times, I start to write something but I drop it without completing it because I don't know how to complete it. So the best you can do is encourage the writers. Your encouragement would inspire them to give regular update and not your complains. It's not easy.

Cc
Creeza

A lot of people think it is easy to create a world in your head.

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 2:08pm On May 14, 2017
queenitee:
That what I always say, before you criticize a writer, pick up a pen and try writing something, it's not easy. Readers think writing is just picking up a pen and writing something? No, it's not easy to create evnets, people, places and all in your head.

Cc
Creeza

Thank you better person. . . Of course am not crazy, i understand that they have a life outside nairaland. . . Now, this is it: am not that quick to insult people and i apologize to anybody that's hurt. You talked about picking a pen and writing a story to experience the first hand difficulty (of course it's difficult, quite daunting as a matter of fact), i know you had no idea whatsoever that am a writer myself. . . I have written ten stories and i've finished typing six but none of these are on nairaland. Now tell me, if i wish to post them, would i have to keep everyone in a dire desire for update, would i have to have people kick my butt to post? Of course not! I'll just do copy and paste, and it's even easier that way because you can always change any detail in the story before you paste should need be. . .

If you noticed, you will see that the upper part of my post was just a nice suggestion and the PS is where i probably got it wrong, but you can imagine some people who are in no way related to literature trying to write something and end up messing up. Of course i appreciate their effort to come up with something but it's just not good enough, truth be told. If you think am lying go and read "My Sexual Urge". Am not saying am perfect tho, but a little bit of improvement will do because perfection is what we all strive for. Thank you for your understanding, your type dey scarce.

6 Likes

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 2:12pm On May 14, 2017
NeeKlaus:
Rada rada.
tongue
NeeKlaus:
Rada rada.
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by queenitee(f): 2:45pm On May 14, 2017
Lemmy123:

Thank you better person. . . Of course am not crazy, i understand that they have a life outside nairaland. . . Now, this is it: am not that quick to insult people and i apologize to anybody that's hurt. You talked about picking a pen and writing a story to experience the first hand difficulty (of course it's difficult, quite daunting as a matter of fact), i know you had no idea whatsoever that am a writer myself. . . I have written ten stories and i've finished typing six but none of these are on nairaland. Now tell me, if i wish to post them, would i have to keep everyone in a dire desire for update, would i have to have people kick my butt to post? Of course not! I'll just do copy and paste, and it's even easier that way because you can always change any detail in the story before you paste should need be. . .

If you noticed, you will see that the upper part of my post was just a nice suggestion and the PS is where i probably got it wrong, but you can imagine some people who are in no way related to literature trying to write something and end up messing up. Of course i appreciate their effort to come up with something but it's just not good enough, truth be told. If you think am lying go and read "My Sexual Urge". Am not saying am perfect tho, but a little bit of improvement will do because perfection is what we all strive for. Thank you for your understanding, your type dey scarce.
I think i understand you.
I would like to read your story, when you finally post them give me a mention.

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by queenitee(f): 2:46pm On May 14, 2017
Creeza:

Cc
Cree

♧ LOL grin she still pick out that point... anyways , not all writers on nairaland have laptops ... especially me grin so I use my phone.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Creeza(m): 2:49pm On May 14, 2017
life is Izzy grin
lemmy123 , I'd like to read your story too. No hard feelings Bro.
#MindRubsMind that's the game.
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Divepen1(m): 3:23pm On May 14, 2017
Now a days.. I just like to read people's rant.. It's inspiring..

Next!! !

2 Likes

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 3:23pm On May 14, 2017
Creeza:
life is Izzy grin

lemmy123 , I'd like to read your story too. No hard feelings Bro.

#MindRubsMind that's the game.
Thanks Creeza, i've read your story once , the one that got me really scared, but the title is what I can't lay hands on right now, and I think it's nice. The same goes to some renowned writers like Ishilove, Fikfaknuel (the author of Under The Rusty Brown Roof - my favourite story so far), Larrysun Repogirl and the rest they are all wonderful, trust me. I wasn't basically refering to any of these popular writers, and the reason why they are always most pained when issues like this are brought up is what I still don't understand. The other day, Politicalthug had a similar post of writers being lazy and all, and Chumzipinky was all on his neck like a violin. You know what? I noticed a little pride in you while 'correcting' me in your first post, that is not quintessential of a good writer, a good writer is always ready and willing to contend and have a rethink of where they got it wrong even when they don't, if you think am lying ask Chimamanda (Lol).

You were saying something about the difficulty in transforming an idea into fiction. You kind of remind me of my early years of writing; how I developed a chronic headache from ferocious brainstorming, how I ended up getting cranky because I couldn't construct a good sentence, how I went to bed feeling really bad that I couldn't write a story... You telling me about ideas, places, characters, plots, is like you're teaching a carpenter how to hit a nail into a wood with a hammer. (Lol)...
My post was only refering to writers who are sort of experimenting with literature, randomly posting anything, with almost the same title (diary of this, diary of that) with the hope that the audience will like it... It shouldn't be like that. When I read Iyawo Nylon Bag, I was wowed, I still respect ishilove till tomorrow. . .
Brother, are we okay now? My name is Lemmy and you might just want to check out my new book on Okadabooks, its free, the title is The Fabric Red Rose. Peace!

2 Likes

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 3:27pm On May 14, 2017
Divepen1:
Now a days.. I just like to read people's rant.. It's inspiring..

Next!! !
Chai. . . See Divepen wey me dey fan like 'OX' dey talk like this. . . This is heartbreaking!
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Divepen1(m): 3:31pm On May 14, 2017
Lemmy123:

Chai. . . See Divepen wey me dey fan like 'OX' dey talk like this. . . This is heartbreaking!
Lol... I was talking about all the rants
Check the new message board. There are lot of posts on this recently and a lot of responses. I will just sound like a broken record. Even me sef hate autorepeat.
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Divepen1(m): 3:39pm On May 14, 2017
Lemmy123:

Meanwhile, it's really inspiring. It motivates me to continue with my plan. Many times, I would want to give in to the temptation of posting my on going works but I discover from time that I might just pause for a while too and would receive such comment as this. So, it's inspiring.
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Creeza(m): 3:47pm On May 14, 2017
Lemmy123:

Thanks Creeza, i've read your story once , the one that got me really scared, but the title is what I can't lay hands on right now, and I think it's nice. The same goes to some renowned writers like Ishilove, Fikfaknuel (the author of Under The Rusty Brown Roof - my favourite story so far), Larrysun Repogirl and the rest they are all wonderful, trust me. I wasn't basically refering to any of these popular writers, and the reason why they are always most pained when issues like this are brought up is what I still don't understand. The other day, Politicalthug had a similar post of writers being lazy and all, and Chumzipinky was all on his neck like a violin. You know what? I noticed a little pride in you while 'correcting' me in your first post, that is not quintessential of a good writer, a good writer is always ready and willing to contend and have a rethink of where they got it wrong even when they don't, if you think am lying ask Chimamanda (Lol).

You were saying something about the difficulty in transforming an idea into fiction. You kind of remind me of my early years of writing; how I developed a chronic headache from ferocious brainstorming, how I ended up getting cranky because I couldn't construct a good sentence, how I went to bed feeling really bad that I couldn't write a story... You telling me about ideas, places, characters, plots, is like you're teaching a carpenter how to hit a nail into a wood with a hammer. (Lol)...
My post was only refering to writers who are sort of experimenting with literature, randomly posting anything, with almost the same title (diary of this, diary of that) with the hope that the audience will like it... It shouldn't be like that. When I read Iyawo Nylon Bag, I was wowed, I still respect ishilove till tomorrow. . .
Brother, are we okay now? My name is Lemmy and you might just want to check out my new book on Okadabooks, its free, the title is The Fabric Red Rose. Peace!

Great epistle Bro.

nice one
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 3:48pm On May 14, 2017
Divepen1:
Lol... I was talking about all the rants
Check the new message board. There are lot of posts on this recently and a lot of responses. I will just sound like a broken record. Even me sef hate autorepeat.
Abi Bros. . . As I read one of those stories, I felt uncomfortable, the story was devoid of all the essentials and prerequisites of literature... But perhaps I was too quick to call them "stupid", i realize in retrospect i shouldn't have. . . Am sorry!
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 3:52pm On May 14, 2017
Divepen1:
Meanwhile, it's really inspiring. It motivates me to continue with my plan. Many times, I would want to give in to the temptation of posting my on going works but I discover from time that I might just pause for a while too and would receive such comment as this. So, it's inspiring.
You owe me some thanks, you know. . . Lol
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 4:02pm On May 14, 2017
Akposb:
Judging by the behaviour of most writers, they are largely learners who willing take the plunge but are unable to continue the race. Story writing is not easy and I must say your suggestion about writing many pages before pasting is okay but inspiration sometimes is gotten from the comments if Nairalanders. My little advice, read works here with less seriousness as they are only works in progress.
Best comment so far. . . Thank you Bros
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Divepen1(m): 4:03pm On May 14, 2017
Lemmy123:
You owe me some thanks, you know. . . Lol
wink
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 14, 2017
70% correct. That's why i dont read ongoing stories, i read only the finished ones. Some do feel like gods when they ask to update by their fan, worst still some writers do remove parts of the story complaining of plagiarism when they know fully well the story is opened to all. But some writers are faithful to their stories like Oyinprince and Demowale so far.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by fikfaknuel(f): 8:19pm On May 14, 2017
I'm not done with my stories here. I promise myself that.

Resources and Time are the major problems, and given that those who know me well know I'm a sensitive person, stuff gets to me and hinders me from writing most of the time.

However, this will soon pass. And I hope it won't be long, will I come back. I miss these stories too. I miss how the characters possess me. And I understand the pain of an unfinished story.

After thoughts :1. How many of the thousands of readers on NL will actually BUY these stories? It isn't fair to complain of mediocre writing when you aren't being supportive.

2. I'm glad you like that rusty roof of a story...who's your favorite character?

3. I don't think your post is harsh and insensitive. Writers should bleed for the craft.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by kikayboss(m): 11:08pm On May 15, 2017
queenitee:
That's what I always say, before you criticize a writer, pick up a pen and try writing something, it's not easy. Readers think writing is just picking up a pen and writing something? No, it's not easy to create evnets, people, places and all in your head.

Cc
Creeza
true they have a life outside nairaland......

but that won't stop me from killing DAVIDFLO when i see him....tell sombori 2 tell anoda sombori and anoda sombori and..........

#peace
Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by queenitee(f): 8:03am On May 16, 2017
kikayboss:
true they have a life outside nairaland......

but that won't stop me from killing DAVIDFLO when i see him....tell sombori 2 tell anoda sombori and anoda sombori and..........

#peace
Lol. From somebody to somebody to somebody......

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Oly23(f): 8:52pm On May 21, 2017
Creeza:

wink

Goal - act 1

Conflict - act 2

disaster - end of act 2

End - conclusion

cc

lalalasticlala
obinnau
mynd44
divepen1
chumzypinky
rachealfst
queenitee
hadampson
IamFeva
oly23
My brother you just said as it is!! Someone cannor even appreciate!! Always de riding and putting down!! Tell them to go to okada books and buy it they will flee like the devil! Little words of encouragement and constructive criticism would do a world of good rather than that display of........

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by TheLight44: 2:22pm On May 22, 2017
Sometimes the writer starts writing and then something happens in the real world and then all of a sudden writing doesn't interest them, sometimes they don't know what else to write, because inspiration comes from anything at anytime but not all the time, sometimes they had nothing to do when they started writing, but now they got a job, and its time consuming. No time for writing. If its hard for a Professional writer who writes for a living , to complete a story, what do you imagine it would be like for those who write for free and still has to face their lives.

Cut the writers some slack. Enjoy what they give and support them. Even when they hit the dreaded writers block

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 22, 2017
Its not really their fault, writing on phones if one doesnt have a laptop can be stressful...

Speaking from experience

1 Like

Re: Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!! by Lemmy123(m): 6:24am On May 26, 2017
Oly23:

My brother you just said as it is!! Someone cannor even appreciate!! Always de riding and putting down!! Tell them to go to okada books and buy it they will flee like the devil! Little words of encouragement and constructive criticism would do a world of good rather than that display of........
Display of ignorance and redundancy right?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Coolness Of The Eyes (a Tale Of Romance And Emotions) / Gone Like The Wind. / Short Fiction: Madness By Margaret Agwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.