Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,577 members, 7,801,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? (7889 Views)

Network Engineers, Ccna,ccnp,ethical Hackers.. Let's Gather Here / How Many Clients Have You Gotten From Your Web Development Ad On Nairaland? / The Most Popular Programmer On Nairaland 2016 Edition (verification Round) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 6:54am On Jan 26, 2018
khiaa:

Hey You. smiley
waddup Akata finest , long time no see,how you’ve been ?hope everything is rocking .
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Fulaman198(m): 12:20am On Jan 27, 2018
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
school things & becoming a young professional/adult

That's great, what have you been up to? Find your ideal woman and career path yet?
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Fulaman198(m): 12:21am On Jan 27, 2018
khiaa:

Be still my beating heart. Long time no see Mr. Toes. grin

ROFLLL Good to know you remembered my foot fetish. How have your feet been? cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by khiaa(f): 10:01am On Jan 27, 2018
Fulaman198:

ROFLLL Good to know you remembered my foot fetish. How have your feet been? cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

I and my twinkle toes are doing/looking great.smiley What have you been up to?

1 Like

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Bahat: 1:32am On Jan 28, 2018
Fulaman198:

I completely agree with your comments.

#1 is a great book, I have his book for Operating Systems which I used back in my Undergrad years about a decade ago. He (Tanebaum) writes very good books.

#3 is also very good. I do agree with you that to be a great programmer understanding Networking helps a lot. But to be honest, even in the "advanced" countries like the United States, you will find people with Computer Science backgrounds that can code, but do not understand Computer networking.

I think it is important to know both.

All these book are the best for a beginner. There is none like them. yes thats true, you have to dig deep to understand network indepth. everything is not all about the network, all everybody wants to do, is copy and paste the code who cares? it all depend on choice i think.

1 Like

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Fulaman198(m): 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2018
khiaa:

I and my twinkle toes are doing/looking great.smiley What have you been up to?

I would like to see them someday. So how are your studies, I heard that you are becoming an electrical engineer. Is this true?
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Fulaman198(m): 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2018
Bahat:

All these book are the best for a beginner. There is none like them. yes thats true, you have to dig deep to understand network indepth. everything is not all about the network, all everybody wants to do, is copy and paste the code who cares? it all depend on choice i think.

Lol true
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by khiaa(f): 9:53pm On Jan 28, 2018
Fulaman198:

I would like to see them someday. So how are your studies, I heard that you are becoming an electrical engineer. Is this true?

Ok, you can see them and I'll paint them In your favorite color, red. smiley
I'm not an electrical engineer, I'm a child psychologist, I work with dysfunctional children.

1 Like

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Fulaman198(m): 9:56pm On Jan 28, 2018
khiaa:

Ok, you can see them and I'll paint them In your favorite color, red. smiley
I'm not an electrical engineer, I'm a child psychologist, I work with dysfunctional children.

Thank you Khiaa, me seeing your feet is good psychological health for me cheesy
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by khiaa(f): 9:59pm On Jan 28, 2018
Fulaman198:

Thank you Khiaa, me seeing your feet is good psychological health for me cheesy
grin gringrin

1 Like

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by spoilerx: 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2018
i currently work as a Network engineer , if u have questions.
nothing much.
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Yooku: 3:07pm On Feb 22, 2018
Melchizzedek:
I sent you a pm sir. pls reply. i have some questions 2 ask u.
Sorry, I don’t think it came through. You can email me at theparagonclub@gmail.com
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Cvesta(m): 11:45am On Feb 23, 2018
Bahat:
I see lot of awful comment in here, for those of you that call yourself a programmer, its because you pick up a book on the language then you think you already know all about the language, its funny.
If you are real interested in learning networking pick up:
1) Andrews Tanenbaum Computer Networks Textbook for a start then migrate to
2) Richards Stevens Tcp/Ip Illustrated text volume 1 - 3, immerse yourself in the knowledge, though we now have update on the text, Later move on to the Programming aspects: Volume 1 should do.
3) Unix Network Programming, for real examples on networking
Later on start your journey with that basis and move to the certification aspect
CCNA and co.

Advanced Programmer know all about computer either Network or wortnek
Thanks

Are these text necessary for a newbie with no prior knowledge of networking who just registered for CCNA?
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Cvesta(m): 11:46am On Feb 23, 2018
Bahat:
I see lot of awful comment in here, for those of you that call yourself a programmer, its because you pick up a book on the language then you think you already know all about the language, its funny.
If you are real interested in learning networking pick up:
1) Andrews Tanenbaum Computer Networks Textbook for a start then migrate to
2) Richards Stevens Tcp/Ip Illustrated text volume 1 - 3, immerse yourself in the knowledge, though we now have update on the text, Later move on to the Programming aspects: Volume 1 should do.
3) Unix Network Programming, for real examples on networking
Later on start your journey with that basis and move to the certification aspect
CCNA and co.

Advanced Programmer know all about computer either Network or wortnek
Thanks

Are these text necessary for a newbie with no prior knowledge of networking who just registered for CCNA? If no, which relevant materials can help theoretically and practically?
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by chosenwan1(m): 1:49pm On Jan 29, 2020
You still interested in networking let me know
ebixy:
I have interest in computer networking, but every time i visit the programming or computer section of Nairaland all i see is PROGRAMMERS.

I think computer networking needs a section of its own, where experts can help newbies like me on Cisco certifications and other ICT certifications. I'm sure we have even CCIEs on nairaland

What do you people think?
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by spoilerx: 8:32am On Jan 30, 2020
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by spoilerx: 8:35am On Jan 30, 2020
Cvesta:

Are these text necessary for a newbie with no prior knowledge of networking who just registered for CCNA? If no, which relevant materials can help theoretically and practically?

Not necessary for a newbie.

Try & get an entry level certification like CCNA so you will learn the basics.

u can use GNS3 or packet tracer to simulate to an extent.

Learning the basics is important, then naija u also need connection.
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 2:03am On Feb 06, 2020
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by ebixy(m): 3:44pm On Feb 06, 2020
chosenwan1:
You still interested in networking let me know

Thank you for extending your hand of help to me. I'm currently in the power sector and not involved in anything networking related.

I could revive the interest depending on the kinda help you want to offer me.
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by uzoexcel(m): 5:38am On Feb 22, 2020
Good thread
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 3:07pm On Mar 01, 2020
Hello house, I need counsel from experience Network Engineers in Nigeria...Though I am a graduate of Elect/Elect with a cgpa of 4.06, I have zero experience in Network Engineering.....I love the field and I recently gained admission to a master's program in Communication Networks in Germany... My question is do you think I will be able to break into the Networking industry by just acquiring this degree... The school is one of the best in Germany and German universities are very big on practicals but I still need advice from the house, I graduated 5years ago but all my job experience has nothing to do with engineering... I NEED ADVICE before taking this decision

2 Likes

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Anfieldboss: 6:16pm On Mar 01, 2020
SOLARPOWER1:
Hello house, I need counsel from experience Network Engineers in Nigeria...Though I am a graduate of Elect/Elect with a cgpa of 4.06, I have zero experience in Network Engineering.....I love the field and I recently gained admission to a master's program in Communication Networks in Germany... My question is do you think I will be able to break into the Networking industry by just acquiring this degree... The school is one of the best in Germany and German universities are very big on practicals but I still need advice from the house, I graduated 5years ago but all my job experience has nothing to do with engineering... I NEED ADVICE before taking this decision

What will help you more in Networking is not a Master's degree but certifications. In order of relevance in Networking;

Experience > Certification > Degrees.

I presume you're going to Germany for your masters as a way of relocating from Naija, I would advise you start your certification journey in Naija if you really want to stand a chance of getting a Network Engineering job in Europe.

You can start with CCNA. All the best.
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by SOLARPOWER1(f): 10:00pm On Mar 01, 2020
Anfieldboss:

What will help you more in Networking is not a Master's degree but certifications. In order of relevance in Networking;

Experience > Certification > Degrees.

I presume you're going to Germany for your masters as a way of relocating from Naija, I would advise you start your certification journey in Naija if you really want to stand a chance of getting a Network Engineering job in Europe.

You can start with CCNA. All the best.

Thank you very much , just what I have been thinkin about... I will write my CCNA exam within 6months when I arrive in Germany

1 Like

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by tolukem(f): 11:54pm On Mar 02, 2020
I feel like I just stumbled into a room with people I should have meet long ago, I'm a network engineer with about 10years experience, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE written, experience with computer ,printer,ev)wn UPShardware repairs , printerI love networking. Having a CCNA would put your foot in the door, having experience would secure your seat in the industry. As a network engineer you also do some programmingconfiguring router and switches is a bit of programming too especially if you're not using a GUI like most modern routers and NOS devices these days. In fact I first got interested in programming but once I got into networking it becoming really exciting for me, although now I've come full circle and I'm learning a few programming languages to up my game. Networking still remains my first love. There still remains few women in this field but I'm hoping there would be more women in IT,I've meet few.and the few ladies I've meet are really good

5 Likes

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by toyotamuscle: 10:13pm On Jun 15, 2020
please can someone sujest me a company or office in abuja were I can run an internship in network administration.
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Gbengadaniel12: 6:54am On Jul 26, 2020
Yooku:

After graduating from Univ in June, I went straight into intensive self study and preparation for the CCNA certificate and passed the exam in October. Prior to this I had interviewed with an ISP to do my national service with them and told them I was on preps for the CCNA so they were very interested in taking me on. By the time I started national service in December, having the CCNA under my belt put me at a skill level which was higher than some of the engineers already in the company. I guess although I didn't have any job experience the skill set and drive to learn made them take me on and eventually offer me a full time role in the company after national service had come to an end. So I guess I had no experience, but I was highly skilled. That's one way to get your foot in the door. Get the certification to demonstrate that in terms of knowledge you are there. You do not need much training and you can hit the ground running once you are given the chance to come on board..
Can you be my mentor, sir
Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by Nobody: 5:13am On Jul 28, 2020

The OSI networking model were created by programmers. Networking Devices all have an Operating System written by programmers which are the backbone of all Computer Networking. Read an account from someone that worked at CISCO: I worked at Cisco for an year. In that time period I worked on the product which had the core OS written in C. Backend (on top of OS) was written in C++, XML, Perl, Bash etc. Desktop front end in Java. Web front end in HTML, CSS, Javascript. For my work I even used Python (apart from above languages). And of course the QEs used Tcl, Expect etc. Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-widely-used-programming-language-at-Cisco

The name Tcl is derived from "Tool Command Language" and is pronounced "tickle". Tcl is a radically simple open-source interpreted programming language that provides common facilities such as variables, procedures, and control structures as well as many useful features that are not found in any other major language. Source: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tcl_Programming/Introduction

Don't be silly. The average programmer knows little about networking. Same way the average network admin knows only a little about programming.

1 Like

Re: Are There No Network Engineers On Nairaland? by emmy4real94(m): 2:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
tolukem:
I feel like I just stumbled into a room with people I should have meet long ago, I'm a network engineer with about 10years experience, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE written, experience with computer ,printer,ev)wn UPShardware repairs , printerI love networking. Having a CCNA would put your foot in the door, having experience would secure your seat in the industry. As a network engineer you also do some programmingconfiguring router and switches is a bit of programming too especially if you're not using a GUI like most modern routers and NOS devices these days. In fact I first got interested in programming but once I got into networking it becoming really exciting for me, although now I've come full circle and I'm learning a few programming languages to up my game. Networking still remains my first love. There still remains few women in this field but I'm hoping there would be more women in IT,I've meet few.and the few ladies I've meet are really good
wow! you're a female?? it's very rare, a female with all those Cisco certifications, perhaps you could be a mentor to me, I just got my CCNA1, in Nigeria, that wasn't easy for me.. anyway I can contact you pls..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Electronic Circuit Design And Construction-join The Team / Are You Into Flash Actionscript 3? Lets Have Serious Fun Here! / Some Amazing Apps In The MTN Nextapp Store

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.