Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,073 members, 7,807,216 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself (56841 Views)

See The Name Of The Only King That Can't Be Dethroned In Nigeria / Photos Of The Rolls-Royces In Emir Sanusi’s Garage / Emir Sanusi Returns From London, Welcomed In Style As He Arrives Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by ourema(f): 9:04pm On May 13, 2017
Emir Muhammadu Sanusi May Go The Way Of His Grandfather

Just As His Grandfather, Muhammadu Sanusi 1, Was Dethroned As A Result Of Power Struggle (hidden Under The Cloak Of A Probe) Between Him And Ahmadu Bello. The Current Emir Of Kano Is Also Under Political Persecution.

It was a dramatic denouement to a conflict that started months earlier. The setting was Government House in Kaduna in 1963 and the two characters that day were Sir Kashim Ibrahim, Governor of Northern Region and Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi 1, grandfather of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (now Muhammadu Sanusi 11), the current occupant of that throne.

The two men exchanged greetings by shaking hands stiffly. Sir Kashim, with a probably shaky voice, delivered a bomb. Government had accepted to implement the recommendation of the probe panel, set up by Sir Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto and the Premier of Northern Region, that Sanusi should be removed from office.

“Do you have any response to this?” Sir Kashim asked, without making eye contacts. Sanusi, with the gait of a stoic, answered with philosophical equanimity: “Nothing”.

Sir Kashim, thereafter, fished out a prepared resignation letter for Sanusi to sign. He did without shaking.
The Governor asked his guest further where he wanted to go into exile. Sanusi senior chose Azare, a city in Bauchi State. Like King Jaja of Opobo, Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi of Benin or Olowo of Owo, Oba Olateru Olagbegi who were banished outside their domains by the powers that be (the first two by the British colonialists and the last, by Governor Adeyinka Adebayo of Western Region), that was the beginning of Patriarch Sanusi’s journey into exile in Azare where he spent 20 years and died.

What happened in 1963 as a result of power tussle between him and Ahmadu Bello is repeating itself in 2017 between the northern political establishment and the current Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi 11. He too is to be probed, a situation of political deja vu. The Kano State House of Assembly has set up an eight-man committee, headed by the Chief Whip of the House, Alhaji Labaran Abdul, to probe Sanusi II. Just like such was directed at his grandfather, questions were being raised on alleged misconduct and alleged misappropriation of funds belonging to the Kano Emirate Council. The Speaker of the state assembly, Kabiru Alhassan Rurum accused Sanusi of spreading rumour on the trip of the Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje to China recently to hold discussions on a light rail project in the state, arguing that it “was capable of tarnishing the governor’s image, the state government and that of the assembly.”
The speaker added: “The emir during his speech in Kaduna, alleged that the Kano State governor and his entourage, including me as the Chairman of the House Committee on Works, wasted one month in China seeking for a loan to construct the light rail project. The emir’s statement was not true, we spent only four days in China, and our visit was to find out the capacity of the company to handle the rail project. His allegation has brought a lot of insults to my person, the state government and the House of Assembly by the general public in and outside the state.”

The speaker took a dig at Sanusi for acting against tradition by sending his daughter who failed to wear the “full traditional regalia”to represent him at a function organised by the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) group in Abuja, saying, “There are many responsible Emirate Council members who could have represented him at the programme. This is the first time we are seeing such in the history of the traditional home.”

The speaker still had more bullets to fire at Sanusi’s fragile frame, saying the traditional ruler had begun to introduce religious views that are, as ThisDay put it, contrary to the teachings of Islam, saying such things were capable of undermining the religion. Worse still, he charged that Sanusi was “getting involved in political issues, the misappropriation of the Emirate Council’s funds and making statements against President Muhammadu Buhari.”

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2017/05/13/muhammed-sanusi-may-go-the-way-of-his-grandfather/

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by ourema(f): 9:10pm On May 13, 2017
I remember the power play that took place before his appointment in GEJ administration. I wonder what he will say if eventually he is Dethroned like his own grand father. He needs to go into politics

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Justuceleague2: 9:14pm On May 13, 2017
Hmmmm
Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by ourema(f): 9:16pm On May 13, 2017
Justuceleague2:
Hmmmm
I don't know how you feel concerning the case
Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Blue3k(m): 9:20pm On May 13, 2017
ourema:
I remember the power play that took place before his appointment in GEJ administration. I wonder what he will say if eventually he is Dethroned like his own grand father. He needs to go into politics

He should have gone into politics I agree he would have been better suited towards it. Nobody would make a huge fuss about him driving a Rolls Royse. Right now his probe pressing matter for anyone that cares.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Daviddson(m): 9:21pm On May 13, 2017
I'm actually in favor of showing these traditional rulers who are literally worshiped in Nigeria that they're not above the law and I'd have celebrated it if Sanusi had been something else, but this is clearly a case of persecution and that of powers that be trying to bully him into submission. I hope it fails.

92 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by ourema(f): 9:23pm On May 13, 2017
Blue3k:

He should have gone into politics I agree he would have been better suited towards it. Nobody would make a huge fuss about him driving a Rolls Royse. Right now his probe pressing matter for anyone that cares.
If in politics he can only make headway in the good book of the ruling party

2 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by ourema(f): 5:45am On May 14, 2017
Daviddson:
I'm actually in favor of showing these traditional rulers who are literally worshiped in Nigeria that they're not above the law and I'd have celebrated it if Sanusi had been something else, but this is clearly a case of persecution and that of powers that be trying to bully him into submission. I hope it fails.
That was what happened to his grandfather. It's like a repetition

8 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Nobody: 6:18am On May 14, 2017
ourema:

That was what happened to his grandfather. It's like a repetition
it then means truth has always been their drive irrespective of affiliation or benefits.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by azimibraun: 6:33am On May 14, 2017
I won't be forced to debate the issue of misappropriation of funds with the devils but I will only just laugh at the other stupid reasons given by them to want to war with the emir. Sanusi as Emir of Kano simply means 2 captain on a ship in Kano. They should have prepared themselves knowing a Man who spoke against his employer GEJ and the FGN at that big stage was coming down to a smaller stage. A place where he has more influence, experience, knowledge and acceptability than anybody in KNSG at the moment. War with the Emir at your own peril. Manage him well and shine. The Governor and the rest are on a suicide mission. Change has come to the Kano Emirate. The Man on the throne is civilised and full of guts. Why won't he send his little brilliant girl to represent him on an issue concerning little girls? who best would have connected more with those girls than their peer? That was a huge move made by the emir. I applauded him because he made a bold statement with that. " I have a daughter like these girls so I know how it feels when I can't account for here where about" Emir Sanusi may be of the Kano emirate but again the Kano cabal should knw he is a national figure and has friends all over the country across many divides. Nigerians will resist any attempt to mess him for standing by truth against the northern brutal and shameless oligarchs.

396 Likes 39 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by WhistleB(m): 6:49am On May 14, 2017
The guy above me is good. I like your analysis bros. #iStandWithSLS

128 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by azimibraun: 6:50am On May 14, 2017
If I may add? How many times have we seen Zhara Buhari wear jeans, T-shirt and scarf with no hijab on the social media; The president's wife once dressed semi- corporate to an even at the UN yet the Kano speaker didn't see them as not completely dressed islamically but he is quick to see the little daugter of the emir of Kano becouse he has beef with him. The girl is a Kano indegeine and fits perfectly on that occasion.what is wrong with giving opportunities to leaders of tommorow today? I have a daughter and all those who have will wish it was their daughter n that stage talking passionately that day. Investigate him for every other thing but dnt mention his daughter and dressing islamically. Aside her face, neck and hand did she expose any body part indecently? People with daughters will rise against the cabal in Kano. You can't hold our girls down. They must grow and they must get involved in issues. We must give our girls responsibilities. There is work to be done.

219 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by ourema(f): 7:21am On May 14, 2017
Kingsolex1:

it then means truth has always been their drive irrespective of affiliation or benefits.
I agree with you

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Nutase: 7:34am On May 14, 2017
You don't need to be prophet to realise that sunusi's mouth is his Achilles heel.

5 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by ojobek: 7:35am On May 14, 2017
nah dem dem,they shld just remove d guy sir.
Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by wordcat(m): 7:40am On May 14, 2017
I'm still wondering why Sanusi accepted the Emirship in the first place

10 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Articul8(m): 8:04am On May 14, 2017
That is a typical of our society at large. We have made wrongs right. So much that bad is now seemed good. You wonder why ppl dnt want to sprak the truth again? It is cos of things like this.
I pray we live above this someday

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Readir: 8:18am On May 14, 2017
Ok
Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Nafizzey(m): 8:30am On May 14, 2017
azimibraun:
I won't be forced to debate the issue of misappropriation of funds with the devils but I will only just laugh at the other stupid reasons given by them to want to war with the emir. Sanusi as Emir of Kano simply means 2 captain on a ship in Kano. They should have prepared themselves knowing a Man who spoke against his employer GEJ and the FGN at that big stage was coming down to a smaller stage. A place where he has more influence, experience, knowledge and acceptability than anybody in KNSG at the moment. War with the Emir at your own peril. Manage him well and shine.The Governor and the rest are on a suicide mission. Change has come to the Kano Emirate. The Man on the throne is civilised and full of guts. Why won't he send his little brilliant girl to represent him on an issue concerning little girls? who best would have connected more with those girls than their peer? That was a huge move made by the emir. I applauded him because he made a bold statement with that. " I have a daughter like these girls so I know how it feels when I can't account for here where about" Emir Sanusi may be of the Kano emirate but again the Kano cabal should knw he is a national figure and has friends all over the country across many divides. Nigerians will resist any attempt to mess him for standing by truth against the northern brutal and shameless oligarchs.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by veekid(m): 8:48am On May 14, 2017
History wan repeat itself?
Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by niceguy7(m): 8:48am On May 14, 2017
Watching in 3D...
Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by oscarnoble(m): 8:48am On May 14, 2017
Happy Sunday to u all

2 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Chiefpriest1(m): 8:48am On May 14, 2017
Sanusi might be hypocritical sometimes (living an ostentatious life and trash-talking others), but each time he talks, he hits the nail right on the head.

We know where this is coming from. He has touched the tail of the snake ( criticised the backward , ultra-conservative, regressive) northern leaders.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by hexy40: 8:48am On May 14, 2017
Reading the article looking for his real offence, then i found it in the last statement " he made statements against President Muhammadu Buhari."...EFCC will soon locate him

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by oviejnr(m): 8:49am On May 14, 2017
ourema:
How can you post and be the first to comment angry sad

40 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Dahkogrin007(m): 8:50am On May 14, 2017
We don't care jare
Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by vagabondMynd44: 8:51am On May 14, 2017
Igbos stand with Emir Sanusi.. so no shaking

he is a good friend of igbos worldwide and has everyone interest at heart

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by FirstCounsel(m): 8:51am On May 14, 2017
azimibraun:
I won't be forced to debate the issue of misappropriation of funds with the devils but I will only just laugh at the other stupid reasons given by them to want to war with the emir. Sanusi as Emir of Kano simply means 2 captain on a ship in Kano. They should have prepared themselves knowing a Man who spoke against his employer GEJ and the FGN at that big stage was coming down to a smaller stage. A place where he has more influence, experience, knowledge and acceptability than anybody in KNSG at the moment. War with the Emir at your own peril. Manage him well and shine. The Governor and the rest are on a suicide mission. Change has come to the Kano Emirate. The Man on the throne is civilised and full of guts. Why won't he send his little brilliant girl to represent him on an issue concerning little girls? who best would have connected more with those girls than their peer? That was a huge move made by the emir. I applauded him because he made a bold statement with that. " I have a daughter like these girls so I know how it feels when I can't account for here where about" Emir Sanusi may be of the Kano emirate but again the Kano cabal should knw he is a national figure and has friends all over the country across many divides. Nigerians will resist any attempt to mess him for standing by truth against the northern brutal and shameless oligarchs.
Very brilliant

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by Hysmady(m): 8:52am On May 14, 2017
History...
Re: Emir Sanusi's Grandfather Was Dethroned In 1963 & It's About To Repeat Itself by TheFreeOne: 8:53am On May 14, 2017
Vendetta and nothing more.

The northern leaders romance with backwardness is akin to fish and water and anyone that speaks against such becomes an enemy.

What do one expect from people that'll do anything for power as can been seen with the abduction of chibok girls, BH, almajiris, their slavish rule on their citizens and their positions on the Nigerian project.

The north may never develop because of such selfish individuals and the general mindset they've imparted to northerners.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

South Africa Culture Shock: 2 Scantly Dressed Women, Different Public Reactions / Bushy Masquerade Announces Festival In Umuoji, Anambra (Video) / Alaafin Of Oyo Gifts Wife, Omowumi A New House - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.