Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,378 members, 7,800,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) (31338 Views)

My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank / N85k Bank Contract Staff Job Vs N50k Public School Teaching Job / How Much Does First Bank Pay Her Contract Staff? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Mintayo(m): 8:25pm On May 14, 2017
Working as a contract staff in a bank is a bad idea. It's depressing. It's better to be employed as a graduate Trainee, or as an experienced staff.

1 Like

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by nmreports: 8:26pm On May 14, 2017
hiteelong:
My sis contract is not a job of life time because u are not expected to reach a peak of your career, so save something tangible and leave, start your own business

Please I need insights on business.
Mention three.
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Ralphlauren(m): 8:27pm On May 14, 2017
How can you spend 16years working as a contract staff in a bank

You should have done a Bsc (even if it's part time) and then looked for a permanent role even if it meant crossing to another sector.

I think you got too comfortable and complacent during your time at the bank and you failed to develop yourself further career wise.

You could have done TOP professional courses such as ACCA or CFA.

9 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by xandy84: 8:28pm On May 14, 2017
Guess all you can comprehend is the whole story is the mistake he made? Someone is in a predicament and all you can do is insult him. I pray one day you don't get in his situation so you don't get to forget I'm, am...

tomdon:
You need to first learn the difference between am and I'm. At 41 you're still using such shorthand.
The root of your problem is not farfetched oga.

27 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Adieza(m): 8:28pm On May 14, 2017
YewaLand:
Hello All,

Top of the moment to everyone on this platform.

I need to table my plight to every one who's willing to pick up a banking job as a contract staff. This is my experience,
at Age 25, I decided to work with my ND certificate, hence my parent struggled to sponsor my studies, I put in for HND part time, having the hope after my HND program, that I have the better chance to secure a job else where with my current certificate knowing fully fully well that I have 5yrs experience.

I was amazed during my interview sessions with employers that it would be unfair for them to employ me when they have CONTRACT staff with them that have not been converted.

Now, am 41, my experience in interview sessions is terrible, after all questions and interaction, I would be made to know that I have built over the years a good CV even in. a banking sector but the BARRIER is AGE.

With this am frustrated, am like what's happening in our country, is it a crime for some to Age, I mean my experience should be speaking for me and not refraining me from certain opportunities.

The recession now has even worsened all as since 2015 am out of job when Ecobank disengaged there staff of their duties.

it takes the Glory of Almighty for my Living cos I have nothing am doing right now!

So I implore all that may pick interest to banking job as contract workers to think well and not waste their precious and youthful age with this self centred firms.
Thank you,,
YewaLand.
Why don't you try Agriculture sir. I will be of help, Try Farming, Banking is waste of time. Email me. Greatestanebira@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Adieza(m): 8:29pm On May 14, 2017
Why don't you try Farming, Youths this is your time.
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by eph12(m): 8:29pm On May 14, 2017
Are you not supposed to save enough, gather the experience and leave instead of looking for promotion within the bank?

1 Like

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by xandy84: 8:31pm On May 14, 2017
@OP.. You can look into poultry business.. I'm not into the business but I believe it worthe looking at. There are topic that talk about it in business section and you can hit me up if you come up with somethino and we go from there

4 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 14, 2017
Who spends 16yrs as a contract staff in banking? undecided
What were you expecting, to be made an ED?
I dey come...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Ralphlauren(m): 8:34pm On May 14, 2017
PaperLace:
Who spends 16yrs as a contract staff is banking? undecided
What were you expecting, to be made an ED?
I dey come...

Gbam!!

I won't be surprised if he was a teller or bulk room cashier or customer service rep throughout that 16 years.

The OP clearly lacked ambition or any serious career goals.

2 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:
You need to first learn the difference between am and I'm. At 41 you're still using such shorthand.

Anyways, those bank management are trying to maximize profit so there has to be a way to sieve through entrants. Sorry to say, my advise is for you to look outside the bank. Look at other sectors. You can still make it. 40 is middle of life. But I advise you tackle the problem highligted above.

who is these. chai. what has shorthand got to do with op's story. these country does not need your likes to be a success. kindly pack well. ITK

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Ralphlauren(m): 8:37pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:

Anyways, those bank management are trying to maximize profit so there has to be a way to sieve through entrants. Sorry to say, my advise is for you to look outside the bank. Look at other sectors. You can still make it. 40 is middle of life. But I advise you tackle the problem highligted above.

I agree.

His use of English isn't great and it is a major turn off for any serious employer.

4 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Misty0071: 8:39pm On May 14, 2017
Unfortunately, we have banking business in Nigeria and not banking profession.

What do you expect?
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by xandy84: 8:40pm On May 14, 2017
I'm not trying to excuse his use of English but when you're jobless as a man, correct use of English will be least of your problem. I'm sure he has a family to feed and his use of English does not pay rent either.

Ralphlauren:

I agree.

His use of English isn't great and it is a major turn off for any serious employer.

9 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by brenister10: 8:40pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:

Even if he made a mistake, you correct in love and not to show off. OK you want tell us say you sef sabi speak English language. Please grow up bro

11 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by tomdon(m): 8:41pm On May 14, 2017
slimany:

who is these. chai. what has shorthand got to do with op's story. these country does not need your likes to be a success. kindly pack well. ITK

Who is not these??
Olodo buruku!

2 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by tomdon(m): 8:43pm On May 14, 2017
YewaLand:
Hello All,

Top of the moment to everyone on this platform.

I need to table my plight to every one who's willing to pick up a banking job as a contract staff. This is my experience,
at Age 25, I decided to work with my ND certificate, hence my parent struggled to sponsor my studies, I put in for HND part time, having the hope after my HND program, that I have the better chance to secure a job else where with my current certificate knowing fully fully well that I have 5yrs experience.

I was amazed during my interview sessions with employers that it would be unfair for them to employ me when they have CONTRACT staff with them that have not been converted.

Now, am 41, my experience in interview sessions is terrible, after all questions and interaction, I would be made to know that I have built over the years a good CV even in. a banking sector but the BARRIER is AGE.

With this am frustrated, am like what's happening in our country, is it a crime for some to Age, I mean my experience should be speaking for me and not refraining me from certain opportunities.

The recession now has even worsened all as since 2015 am out of job when Ecobank disengaged there staff of their duties.

it takes the Glory of Almighty for my Living cos I have nothing am doing right now!

So I implore all that may pick interest to banking job as contract workers to think well and not waste their precious and youthful age with this self centred firms.
Thank you,,
YewaLand.

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by askakim(m): 8:50pm On May 14, 2017
As a fresh graduate during 2014, I got a bank job as a direct sales and also in a manufacturing coy but I never took the bank job because I believed a science graduate is better off to one yeye bank...Now I can look back and thank God for the choices I made...

2 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Ralphlauren(m): 8:50pm On May 14, 2017
xandy84:
I'm not trying to excuse his use of English but when you're jobless as a man, correct use of English will be least of your problem. I'm sure he has a family to feed and his use of English does not pay rent either.

Well, when you are unemployed with 16 years banking experience and desperately in need of a job, use of English DOES matter.

For example, you cannot send a CV, cover letter or an email full of grammatical errors to a potential employer and expect them to take you seriously.

4 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Nobody: 8:51pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:

But you yourself, your communication is not perfect. There is nothing like "Anyways" , spelling error "highligted". He who comes to equity must come with clean hands.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by qleap2all(m): 8:52pm On May 14, 2017
A great lesson though, it shows a planless career exit. It's always good to have a Plan B.

1 Like

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by woodmood: 8:53pm On May 14, 2017
brenister10:

Even if he made a mistake, you correct in love and not to show off. OK you want tell us say you sef sabi speak English language. Please grow up bro

My brother, the people that went for UTME yesterday are back on NL.

All I have to tell Mr English teacher is that, " pikin wey call him papa lazy man, na the same journey him self Don start so".

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by updatesflow: 8:58pm On May 14, 2017
Are they serious? Then why the job advert if that's the case. See photos from Lucky Igbinedion former governor of Edo state birthday
http://www.updatesflow.tk/2017/05/see-amazing-birthday-photos-of-lucky.html
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by toladanlife: 8:59pm On May 14, 2017
[quote author=tomdon post=56521869]You need to first learn the difference between am and I'm. At 41 you're still using such shorthand.

Anyways, those bank management are trying to maximize profit so they have deviced stringent means of sieving through entrants. Sorry to say, my advise is for you to look outside the bank. Look at other sectors, even other financial sectors. You can still make it. 40 is middle of life but you still have some time to launch afresh. But I advise you tackle the problem highligted above.
Olodo rabata.....you can't even spell highlighted correctly. ITK oshi

9 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by toladanlife: 9:01pm On May 14, 2017
tomdon:

Anyways, those bank management are trying to maximize profit so they have deviced stringent means of sieving through entrants. Sorry to say, my advise is for you to look outside the bank. Look at other sectors, even other financial sectors. You can still make it. 40 is middle of life but you still have some time to launch afresh. But I advise you tackle the problem highligted above.
Olodo rabata....you can't even spell highlighted correctly. ITK oshi

14 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by xandy84: 9:02pm On May 14, 2017
You are right but he is not writing CV, cover letter or applying for a job. He is just looking for positive comment and possibly a solution to his problem.

Ralphlauren:

Well, when you are unemployed with 16 years banking experience and desperately in need of a job, use of English DOES matter.

For example, you cannot send a CV, cover letter or an email full of grammatical errors to a potential employer and expect them to take you seriously.

5 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by xandy84: 9:05pm On May 14, 2017
@tomdom. you see your life☺☺

quote author=toladanlife post=56523250]Olodo rabata....you can't even spell highlighted correctly. ITK oshi[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Dendelion(m): 9:11pm On May 14, 2017
what Nigeria need is restructuring, so many things are going on in this country and our leaders are busy putting square pegs in a round hole... smh

1 Like

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Rich4god(m): 9:13pm On May 14, 2017
For me, I think CBN is to be blamed.... In addition to our labour Union..

CBN have the power to put an end to contract staffing in the Nigerian banking industry.... But they just turn the other eye.
Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by woodmood: 9:13pm On May 14, 2017
eph12:
Are you not supposed to save enough, gather the experience and leave instead of looking for promotion within the bank?

save enough?
it will interest you to know that the salary for bank contract staff is closer to something for feeding and transportation than something that can better your life. the case becomes worse when the person involved is based in a major city like Lagos and Abuja. In that case, it is living from hand to mouth whilst suffering and smiling. Above all, most people become comfortable and some are stupid to the extent of competing with core staff on a higher salary.
The koko is that the guy got a little bit over relaxed.

3 Likes

Re: 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 14, 2017
Ralphlauren:

I agree.

I believe the use of English will be a turn off if the employer can't find the skills he need in you. I mean, if I need a good software engineer and he's sitting right in front of me, I don't care if he can't spell his name

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Who Must You Be To End Your Struggle With Money? / Meet Stella Adele, A Female 2:1 Graduate Who Drives Keke In Lagos / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.