Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,776 members, 7,806,136 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property (7527 Views)

Tenants To Pay 6% Stamp Duty - FIRS Tells Landlords & Property Agents / I Help Double,triple Their Investment,ask Me How. / See The 11 REASONS Landlords, Investors Lose Their Investments On Rental Propert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Barristerlaw(m): 7:01am On May 15, 2017
Reasons why Landlords/investors lose their investment on rental property

Whether or not investors/ landlords of rental properties will be successful and have reliable return s of their investment s is dependent on Selecting reliable te n an ts , who will meet their contractual obligations for both the payment of rent and maintenance of the prope rty . However , many landlord s end up not being able to recoup their investment s on rental properties because of Bad tenants – those who do not meet these obligations. Hence, people are afraid of investing in rental properties. The main aim of this article is to point out the avoidable mistakes that costs landlords the return of their investments on rental property and to enlight en landlord s / would be landlord s on how to manage rental apartment successfully. This article is based on our e xperience over the years as property lawyer s.

1. Acceptin g a new tenant without careful and thorough screening.
The most serious and costly danger to a landlord is having a tenant who stops paying rent and uses legal ta ctics to delay eviction. Landlords have to do due diligence by check ing with former landlords . The tena nt’s income has to be checked from his employer . Very often, tenants are selected on their personal appearance and on very basic and often difficult to corroborate personal reference information .

2. Not Using a Lease / Tenancy Agreement
Another mistake that landlords/investors in rental properties make is not to have a written lease/ tenancy agreement, which will clearly state the terms of tenancy/lease agreement between the parties, signed by the tenant. Where there is no written agreement the provisions in various tenancy law of a state where the property is situated will dictate the terms of the agreement, which may not be favourable to the landlord. By Lease/Tenancy Agreement, the landlord will be able to put t erms and conditions that are favo u rable to him.

3. Charging very high and exorbitant rent

Most of the time , the landlords base the rent on the amount they spent on the property rather than the average rental value in the area where the property is situated. This is one of the reasons why many rental properties remain vacant and unoccupied for years and this results in loss of expected and projected income . Inflated rent will lead to reduction in the number of potential tenants. The majority of tenants have a very good idea of current renta l values and charging a comparatively fair rent will create the opportunit y to have a greater selection from prospective tenants .

4. Delay of Eviction/recovery of premises process.
Failure to issue necessary statutory notices for recovery of premise s immediately after the rent of tenants ex pires and refuses to renew. Once you get a tenant that starts paying late then you should issue required statutory quit notices and commence recovery process unless the tenant is ready to regularize.

5. Not carrying out periodic inspection on the property .
Some landlords or their attorney fail to conduct periodic inspection on the property so as not to bother the tenant or intrude in the tenant’s privacy. It is business wise for the landlord to inspect his property to ascertain that that house is being properly maintained and not being destroyed. This will save the landlord a lot of money and headaches in the long run.

6. Wrong Termination / Eviction Procedure s .
Landlords who follow the wrong procedures when terminating the lease /tenancy end up losing a lot of expected income , f or instance , where a shortage required statutory notice is given or the notice given is not in writing or the notice is defective in law. There are procedures which must be followed if the landlord s wish to evict a tenant. It is better to get a property lawyer to handle the recovery process to avoid costly mistakes which could lead to loss of revenue.

7. C aution fee / service charges .
Another mistake investor in rental property makes is not to collect specific amount as caution fee which will serve as a security where the tenant destroys the property . Service charges collected from the tenant at the point of packing in into the property will be used to maintain and to service amenities in the premises that are commonly used by the tenants.

8. Friendships with the tenant
When the relationship between landlord and the tenant is too cordial it makes it practically difficult to take action if the tenant breaches the terms in the lease/tenancy agreement . Leasing a property is a commercial arrangement and landlords should take a professional app roach to leasing their properties.

9. Maintenance problems.

A landlord/investor who intends to retain good tenants should be responsive whenever t here is repair work to be done o n the property. Maintenance problems should be addressed quickly to ensure good tenants remain happy. Landlords who argue with tenants over maintenance problems may find it difficult to retain good tenants or maintain regular rental payments from their tenants. Failure to carry out a repair may cause tenants to delay payment of rent.

10. Fighting with tenant s .
When dea ling with tenants, the landlord / in vestor must be professional courteous and should be able to keep his temper. An investor /landlord that could not keep his temper should hire a solicitor to manage the property for him. Aggressive landlord will scare the tenant away and the landlord may lose a lot of income as a result of this.

11. Refusing to hire a lawyer when landlord/investor has problem with his tenant
Some landlord instead of involving a property lawyer who has experience in tenancy law to handle his matter when he has problem with his tenants , get into more problems by taking law into his hands. It is only the lawyer that knows the technicalities involves and t he legal remedies available to the landlord that could handle such a problem with professionalism.

In conclusion, for landlords/investors in rental property to get value f or their investment, they would have to get a good manager/attorney who has experience and required expertise in tenancy law to handle it.

12 Likes

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by gbegemaster(m): 7:06am On May 15, 2017
To build house, wahala. Rent the house, wahala. Maintain the house, wahala.

Even to leave house as inheritance for your children, wahala. Before you know it, they don begin to fight over the house.

18 Likes

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Nobody: 7:11am On May 15, 2017
Brothers and sisters.
Have you blamed Buhari and APC administration today?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by otabuko(m): 7:11am On May 15, 2017
You should also add. Landlords that have their adult sons disturbing the peace of tenants and thus making tenants pack out almost every 6 months. Therefore creating bad impression about the house.
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Sharon6(f): 7:12am On May 15, 2017
Na real wa!

GET RID OF STRETCH MARKS, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Dottore: 7:12am On May 15, 2017
Ok
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Nobody: 7:13am On May 15, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Port Harcourt peoples come oooo....
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Alisegun(m): 7:13am On May 15, 2017
ok
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Nobody: 7:13am On May 15, 2017
enlighten
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by HAH: 7:18am On May 15, 2017
Thank you op for this very insightful piece, I have a tenant I am currently battling to evict one as described by you.

This guy told me he works with very reputable international organisation and own houses around but only wanted to stay in my house because of it proximity to his office but renewing his rent is now a problem. We have a signed tenancy agreement which I intent to enforce as is now almost 6 months since his rent expired. Once I evict him or even if he eventually pays as promised I intent to hand over the house to property managers, I can't handle tenants wahala again.

Any good property lawyer with experience in Abuja should qoute me for possible management of my house. Cheers

1 Like

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Adesege(m): 7:27am On May 15, 2017
hmm
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by AreaFada2: 7:27am On May 15, 2017
Property investment is difficult these days. Too many bad tenants who prefer to pay lawyers than pay rent. And such will be praying for success and shouting God pick my call, give me a breakthrough when they rob others of their ROI. Karma is a merciless bitch.

3 Likes

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by divinehand2003(m): 7:39am On May 15, 2017
Landlord-Tenant problems has been around for donkey years.
Sometimes either of the parties need spiritual deliverance in order to do the right thing.
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by sakalisis(m): 7:43am On May 15, 2017
Lagos tinz
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by shams040(m): 7:49am On May 15, 2017
My signature

undecided
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by highchief3(m): 7:55am On May 15, 2017
Always do background checks on your tenants, six flats only three are paying, the ones not paying are the ones I thought really have money the so called business men. The worst thing that will happen to a property owner is to have your building occupied by this fake business men, you will find a lot of them in abuja.

5 Likes

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by money121(m): 8:03am On May 15, 2017
Ok
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Nobody: 8:05am On May 15, 2017
Thoroughly screening your tenants is the most important point there. OP well done your post is insightful
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by chukzyfcbb: 8:17am On May 15, 2017
just build your house and give it to a property manager to handle it. 5-10% of the total amount collected annually won't kill u if you give it out
Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Wealthyonos(m): 9:07am On May 15, 2017
gbegemaster:
To build house, wahala. Rent the house, wahala. Maintain the house, wahala.

Even to leave house as inheritance for your children, wahala. Before you know it, they don begin to fight over the house.

That one still better na, wen som landlords die, their children go just sell d house divide d money...life is really vanity.

1 Like

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by CellTabRepairs: 9:21am On May 15, 2017
HAH:
Thank you op for this very insightful piece, I have a tenant I am currently battling to evict a tenant as described by you.

This guy told me he works with very reputable international organisation and own houses around but only wanted to say in my house because of it proximity to his office but renewing his rent is now a problem. We have a signed tenancy agreement which I intent to enforce as is now almost 6 months since his rent expired. Once I evict him or even if he eventually pays as promised I intent to hand over the house to property managers, I can't handle tenants wahala again.

Any good property lawyer with experience in Abuja should qoute me for possible management of my house. Cheers

Even if someone is a governor or works at CBN, don't people loose their jobs? That number one is faulty. Anything can happen in life. The one who you looked down on may pay only one rent and move to his own in 1 yr

1 Like

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by gbegemaster(m): 9:23am On May 15, 2017
Wealthyonos:

That one still better na, wen som landlords die, their children go just sell d house divide d money...life is really vanity.
Some even sell when the man is alive sef.

1 Like

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by money121(m): 9:32am On May 15, 2017
Another Successful Roofing Project @ Owo in Ondo State..
Please what are you waiting for.. Call/WhatsApp 080-85-310-359 For your Next Roofing Project

Steptiles Aluminum 0.55mm guage

Roof meters 388m
Cladding 99m
flat Sheet 76m

Total Amount Spent for the materials: 1,204,500

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by Nobody: 10:07am On May 15, 2017
highchief3:
Always do background checks on your tenants, six flats only three are paying, the ones not paying are the ones I thought really have money the so called business men. The worst thing that will happen to a property owner is to have your building occupied by this fake business men, you will find a lot of them in abuja.
Business men?
Na you find trouble. They are the worst set...
I can't put business men in my property, I prefer corporate workers_especially bankers. They have reputation to protect, so they tend to behave well.

They rarely have enough time to stay inside the house and destroy it. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property by koning: 12:09pm On May 15, 2017
I have never considered building just 1 house for rent as a good investment in Nigeria. My former landlord when I was renting was borrowing money from me to solve emergency problems.

Property biz should only be done with surplus, idle fund. That's why many corrupt politicians and public servants rush into it. They simply don't know what to do with the money. People with idle fund can afford to wait for years until the right tenant shows up.

Don't build for rent if you depend on the rent money to feed. You will die of hunger in Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

DPKAY ESTATE... Adjacent shoprite sangotedo / For Your Pop Ceiling,wall Screeding, Arkdesign & Pillar Design / Aluminium Windows Needed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.