Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,501 members, 7,808,849 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

Racism In Ethiopia - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Racism In Ethiopia (6538 Views)

Islam In Ethiopia / List Of The Over 80 Ethnic Groups In Ethiopia / Ask Me Anything About Ethiopia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:30am On May 15, 2017
Amharas vs Tigrays
Amharas vs Oromos
Abyssinians(Amharas and Tigrays) vs Oromos
Abyssinians vs other Ethiopians
Ethiopians vs Ethiopia Somalians
Ethiopians vs Oromos
So called Habeshas vs non-Habeshas
Etc.......

2 Likes

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Officialkplus(m): 8:43am On May 15, 2017

That's seems to be inter-tribal/war...
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:14am On May 15, 2017
Officialkplus:

That's seems to be inter-tribal/war...

Yeah, but all of us have Ethiopian identity at the same time.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Sealeddeal(m): 10:01am On May 15, 2017
So no religious discrimination in Ethiopia?
I didn't see Muslims vs Non-Muslims
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 11:22am On May 15, 2017
Sealeddeal:
So no religious discrimination in Ethiopia?
I didn't see Muslims vs Non-Muslims
There is, but it isn't that much. Ethiopia is known by outside world for its religion tolerance.

Wollo(formerly known as "Bete Amhara"wink is a zone in the Amhara region. Wollo is everything about Amhara, but their is good religion tolerance in this place, where most of the Christians and Muslims have Ethiopian Christian/Muslim name and share their cultures.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by 9jakool: 1:09pm On May 15, 2017
Classic case of tribalism. It also exists in Nigeria.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 15, 2017
Hati13:

There is, but it isn't that much. Ethiopia is known by outside world for its religion tolerance.

Wollo(formerly known as "Bete Amhara"wink is a zone in the Amhara region. Wollo is everything about Amhara, but their is good religion tolerance in this place, where most of the Christians and Muslims have Ethiopian Christian/Muslim name and share their cultures.

I dont think you lot are that tolerant.

My first transit through ethiopia i met an ethiopian at the airport. We got to talking and it turns out he reverted to islam but was afraid of telling his family, the friends he was with didnt know and even his girlfriend didnt know. So he was secretly practicing islam, something that he wouldnt be doing if he thought he was going to be accepted regardless.

BTW, I love your airport and what you're doing to your aviation sector. The ethiopians i've met are very friendly as well. Always admired ethiopia for the single fact that it was the only african country that resisted colonization. Plus one of your kings really helped muslims when the religion was very young, dont know if you've heard that story.

Talking to Nigerians about racism/tribalism is like preaching to the choir. I should know, they all hate us sad
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 15, 2017
Ersan:

My first transit through ethiopia i met an ethiopian at the airport. We got to talking and it turns out he reverted to islam but was afraid of telling his family, the friends he was with didnt know and even his girlfriend didnt know. So he was secretly practicing islam, something that he wouldnt be doing if he thought he was going to be accepted regardless.

BTW, I love your airport and what you're doing to your aviation injury. The ethiopians i've met are very friendly as well. Always admired ethiopia for the single fact that it was the only african country that resisted colonization. Plus one of your kings really helped muslims when the religion was very young, dont know if you've heard that story.

Talking to Nigerians about racism/tribalism is like preaching to the choir. I should know, they all hate us sad
I'm Ethiopian in case you didn't know.

Families and friends could be against their own if he/she practiced outside of the family/friend beliefs, but I'm saying to you is, there is high level of respect between Christians and Muslims.

I know about it, he was an Axumitie King in the 7th century.

Thanks for loving our national airline!

1 Like

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 15, 2017
Hati13:

I'm Ethiopian in case you didn't know.

Families and friends could be against their own if he/she practiced outside of the family/friend beliefs, but I'm saying to you is, there is high level of respect between Christians and Muslims.

I know about it, he was an Axumitie King in the 7th century.

Thanks for loving our national airline!

I know you're Ethiopian. I guess i understand what you're trying to say.

Lol! Your airline's food almost killed me though.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by CyrusTheGreat: 8:01pm On May 15, 2017
Ersan:

BTW, I love your airport and what you're doing to your aviation sector. The ethiopians i've met are very friendly as well. Always admired ethiopia for the single fact that it was the only african country that resisted colonization. Plus one of your kings really helped muslims when the religion was very young, dont know if you've heard that story.

One of Ethiopia's kings also forged an alliance with the Portuguese to fend off rabid muslim invaders that were constantly trying to invade and overrun the kingdom. Ethiopians were major targets of slavery for Muslim slavers, along with Cushites like Oromo and Somalians who were known as "red slaves" in contrast with the bantu-speaking "black slaves", and Muhammad multiple times in the Quran referred to Ethiopians as "raisin-heads" and treated them as inferior people to Arabs. Before the scramble for Africa, Ethiopia was a number one target for the Islamic imperialism of the Ottoman Empire and it's vassal states. Not only that but Ethiopia and it's historical sister Christian states along the southern Nile of Aksum and Makuria were constantly attacked by Caliphates and forced to give tributes of hundreds of black African slaves annually, but you wouldn't mention that about the country's muslim history would you you Saudi propagandist?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Sealeddeal(m): 8:51pm On May 15, 2017
CyrusTheGreat:

One of Ethiopia's kings also forged an alliance with the Portuguese to fend off rabid muslim invaders that were constantly trying to invade and overrun the kingdom. Ethiopians were major targets of slavery for Muslim slavers, along with Cushites like Oromo and Somalians who were known as "red slaves" in contrast with the bantu-speaking "black slaves", and Muhammad multiple times in the Quran referred to Ethiopians as "raisin-heads" and treated them as inferior people to Arabs. Before the scramble for Africa, Ethiopia was a number one target for the Islamic imperialism of the Ottoman Empire and it's vassal states. Not only that but Ethiopia and it's historical sister Christian states along the southern Nile of Aksum and Makuria were constantly attacked by Caliphates and forced to give tributes of hundreds of black African slaves annually, but you wouldn't mention that about the country's muslim history would you you Saudi propagandist?
Don't mind that Muslim guy. Islam is the most destructive force after Nuclear weapon. They,Muslims, always want to kill off others but will later blame their victims and never accept blame.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:06pm On May 15, 2017
CyrusTheGreat:

I'm not about to get into a debate with you because i don't tolerate charlatans and i always end up cursing their mum.

I will however point out the multiple misconceptions or errors of your farcical claims.

First of all islam encourages equality for all, anyone one who goes against that is sinning.

Many of the first followers of islam were black slaves, partly because of the prophets condemnation of the treatment they suffered.

One of such people was Bilal, a black ethiopian and one of the prophets most trusted allies. He was also the first person ever in history to call the Adhan.

As to your claim about the prophet "repeatedly" calling blacks raisin heads. Correct me if i am wrong but the only instance that happened was when he was talking about a successor and he said even if a black man with a head shaped like a raisin was installed as their leader, they should follow him. His choice of words being what he felt was the worst possible appearance in his followers heads.

This for me just emphasizes the importance of equality in islam and to not judge people based on their appearance.

THIS ISN'T EVEN IN THE QURAN! There is no such term in the Quran as far as i know.

You have proven yourself multiple times to be morally bankrupt and intellectually dishonest. Stop chasing me around places seeking my approval.

Please don't derail this thread. Allow this foreigner to showcase his country in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:17pm On May 15, 2017
CyrusTheGreat:

I'm not Saudi propagandist. I hate Arabs.

It was Abyssinians with the coalition of Muslim traders who sold millions of slaves. Very few Abyssinians were sold as a slave by Muslims and Abyssinians themselves, so don't lie. Most of the slaves were Oromo and Bantus. So don't say
Abyssinians were that much slave victimized.

Don't be mad!
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:22pm On May 15, 2017
Sealeddeal:
Don't mind that Muslim guy. Islam is the most destructive force after Nuclear weapon. They,Muslims, always want to kill off others but will later blame their victims and never accept blame.
If this comment is intended for me, then I'm not Muslim. I'm Atheist.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 15, 2017
Hati13:

I'm not Saudi propagandist. I hate Arabs.
I think hes referring to me. Hes been stalking me on this forum like he has a point to prove. And at the bolded...Seriously? Why if i may ask?

It was Abyssinians with the coalition of Muslim traders who sold millions of slaves. Very few Abyssinians were sold as a slave by Muslims and Abyssinians themselves, so don't lie. Most of the slaves were Oromo and Bantus. So don't say
Abyssinians were that much slave victimized.

Don't be mad!
Lying does seem to be an art he has perfected.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 15, 2017
Sealeddeal:

Hati13

Jeeez! See why i told you that they all hate us? I have no problem with christians, but nigerian christians are the most intolerant hypocrites you'll ever find.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:17pm On May 15, 2017
Ersan:

Hati13

Jeeez! See why i told you that they all hate us? I have no problem with christians, but nigerian christians are the most intolerant hypocrites you'll ever find.
You are right, but I don't think Nigerian Christians only, but majority of any Christians also.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by ArtanK(m): 3:35am On May 16, 2017
CyrusTheGreat:

Somalis have never been enslaved. There are a few cases of kidnapped individuals, but Somalis in general were never slaves of anyone and in most cases they were the slave merchants and enslavers. There are written accounts of Persian, Oromo, Bantu and even Indian slaves passing through the Somali ports.

It is nothing to be proud of, but it's just the way the world worked back then, you either enslave people or you become the slave.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:41am On May 16, 2017
Hati13:
Amhara vs Tigray
Amhara vs Oromo
Abyssinians(Amhara, Tigray and Agaw) vs Oromo
Abyssinians vs other Ethiopians
Whole Ethiopia vs Ethiopia Somalians
Whole Ethiopia vs Oromo
Whole Ethiopia vs Gurage
Habesha vs non-Habesha
North vs South vs East vs West
Etc.......

Even within Amhara region, there is racism between Wollo(Bete Amhara) vs North Shewa vs Gojjam vs Gondar vs Agaw(Wage Himera, Awi Agaw and Kemant).

This must be a solution for this!
The right word is tribalism. Africans are tribal first, then human second.

If you want to prove this, just kill a cow belonging to a nomadic tribe, or let your cattle eat crops belonging to a farming tribe. Most inter tribal massacres have started that way.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Sealeddeal(m): 5:25am On May 16, 2017
Ersan:

Hati13

I am not religious. I am not a Christian. What I said is a fact. Saying the truth is not intolerance.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 16, 2017
This is serious
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:23am On May 17, 2017
SirWere:
This is serious
Yes, at certain extent, but some of us also see it as a joke.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 12:02am On May 28, 2017
Ersan:

Who do we hate?
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 12:07am On May 28, 2017
Ersan:

I know you're Ethiopian. I guess i understand what you're trying to say.

Lol! Your airline's food almost killed me though.
Hatred against Islam is neither racism nor tribalism. We don't hate muslims but religious fanatics and destructive Fulani Herdsman.
We can't hate muslims when 14 states practice Sharia when we are supposed to be a democracy.
Why are you guys trying to act innocent? undecided
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 3:45am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

Who do we hate?

Northern Muslims of course.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 3:50am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

Hatred against Islam is neither racism nor tribalism. We don't hate muslims but religious fanatics and destructive Fulani Herdsman.
We can't hate muslims when 14 states practice Sharia when we are supposed to be a democracy.
Why are you guys trying to act innocent? undecided

Are we not innocent? Is every northerner a terrorist? Are we all destructive? Yet you stereotype us all as such.

Democracy has nothing to do with sharia practiced in Nigeria, There you go showing your ignorance again. You reject Islamic banking because of the name though you dont know what it means.

Quite frankly I don't even care. You small fries can do whatever you want.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 7:22am On May 28, 2017
Ersan:

Are we not innocent? Is every northerner a terrorist? Are we all destructive? Yet you stereotype us all as such.

Democracy has nothing to do with sharia practiced in Nigeria, There you go showing your ignorance again. You reject Islamic banking because of the name though you dont know what it means.

Quite frankly I don't even care. You small fries can do whatever you want.
I think you are being defensive. Did I say every northerners is a terrorist? I meant you are purposely ignoring why some Nigerians dislike Northerners (though I agree there is ignorance). Yes it does, because democracy implies secularism!!!! There are awful stereotypes for every Nigerian.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:41am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

I think you are being defensive. Did I say every northerners is a terrorist? I meant you are purposely ignoring why some Nigerians dislike Northerners (though I agree there is ignorance). Yes it does, because democracy implies secularism!!!! There are awful stereotypes for every Nigerian.

Democracy does not necessarily imply secularism. Only ensures the eligibility of all people for public offices, and the right for people to decide their leaders. Secularism can be added to democracy but one does not necessarily imply the other. North Korea is secular but not democratic. Malaysia is Islamic but democratic.

Nigeria as a whole can never ever be treated with the same approach. The dissimilarity between the north and the south is way too much. Culture, ethnicity religion fashion vegetation cuisine need I go on?

You lot are too intolerant. If the south were to impose some Christian law in southern states we wouldn't care. But you pick apart everything we do though it's none of your business.

We legally are the same country but make no mistake we couldn't be further apart from each other. We must understand that and accept a middle ground but it seems you are uninterested in that.
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 7:51am On May 28, 2017
Ersan:

Democracy does not necessarily imply secularism. Only ensures the eligibility of all people for public offices, and the right for people to decide their leaders. Secularism can be added to democracy but one does not necessarily imply the other. North Korea is secular but not democratic. Malaysia is Islamic but democratic.

Nigeria as a whole can never ever be treated with the same approach. The dissimilarity between the north and the south is way too much. Culture, ethnicity religion fashion vegetation cuisine need I go on?

You lot are too intolerant. If the south were to impose some Christian law in southern states we wouldn't care. But you pick apart everything we do though it's none of your business.

We legally are the same country but make no mistake we couldn't be further apart from each other. We must understand that and accept a middle ground but it seems you are uninterested in that.

You are being purposely obtuse. According to the Nigerian constitution, neither the federal or state government should be governed by religion. If you don't believe me, look it up.
I would have a lot of issue if Southern States impose Christian Law. You know why? Because Nigeria is supposed to be secular!!!
....Wait we are the intolerant one, but not the people who kulled a woman for insulting Mohammad? Don't be disingenuous, all Nigerian ethnic groups are capable of being intolerant. I can't believe you are even crying, when out of all ethnic groups, igbos get the most hate.
Waitso you accept Nigeria is too different, and that we only exist on paper, ao are you for disintegration?
A middle ground would be a completely secular state where religious and strong ethnic identity are independent of governance. This is what they didin Singapore and it's successful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 9:01am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

You are being purposely obtuse. According to the Nigerian constitution, neither the federal or state government should be governed by religion. If you don't believe me, look it up.
The constitution is another issue entirely. However, the constitution was amended to recognize sharia law for those who wish to use it in the north.

I would have a lot of issue if Southern States impose Christian Law. You know why? Because Nigeria is supposed to be secular!!!
This is the root of your problem. You insist on this naive notion of secularist state. You may choose to accept that, but we can never. We are muslims and will never betray that. The sooner you lot understand it the sooner this country can move on.

....Wait we are the intolerant one, but not the people who kulled a woman for insulting Mohammad? Don't be disingenuous, all Nigerian ethnic groups are capable of being intolerant.
And just last week you lot were celebrating the killing of a northerner who tried to steal a battery were you not?

I can't believe you are even crying, when out of all ethnic groups, igbos get the most hate.
You constantly whine and brag and throw insults when inherently no ethnic group has done more damage to the image of this country than you lot. You instigate against others.You destroyed democracy is in this country together with any sympathy the north will ever have for you the day you orchestrated the first military coup.

Waitso you accept Nigeria is too different, and that we only exist on paper, ao are you for disintegration?
No one is more for disintegration than me. But since that notion seems like a weak reality we have no choice but arrive at a compromise.

A middle ground would be a completely secular state where religious and strong ethnic identity are independent of governance. This is what they didin Singapore and it's successful.
That is no compromise because you propose extreme terms we can never accept. If you are so willing to betray your faith we are not.

1 Like

Re: Racism In Ethiopia by fanficgirl(f): 9:14am On May 28, 2017
Ersan:

The constitution is another issue entirely. However, the constitution was amended to recognize sharia law for those who wish to use it in the north.

This is the root of your problem. You insist on this naive notion of secularist state. You may choose to accept that, but we can never. We are muslims and will never betray that. The sooner you lot understand it the sooner this country can move on.

And just last week you lot were celebrating the killing of a northerner who tried to steal a battery were you not?

You constantly whine and brag and throw insults when inherently no ethnic group has done more damage to the image of this country than you lot. You instigate against others.You destroyed democracy is in this country together with any sympathy the north will ever have for you the day you orchestrated the first military coup.

No one is more for disintegration than me. But since that notion seems like a weak reality we have no choice but arrive at a compromise.

That is no compromise because you propose extreme terms we can never accept. If you are so willing to betray your faith we are not.
First, I'm not igbo. I didnt say igbo were guitless or innocent, just pointing out that they are the most disceiminated against. And yet, you easily sound like you believe igbos deserve it. Igbos can easily point iut how 3 million of their people were starved to death, and how Northern elites were basically puppets/satellites for the British. No one is blameless in Nigeria's history. You have an unprecedented hatred of igbos, but claim Southerners are hateful and intolerant lol. At least we agreed on one thing about disintegration. I believe disintegration can happen if all agree peacefully.
I didn't cheer for any Northerner being killed. Didn't even know about it. I didn't say anything about betraying your religion, but you can practice your religion without bringing politics into it. Why are so many muslims okay with moving to secular countries, despite the fact that they may comes from countries with Sharia? So you don't want to raise Northern Nigeria's literacy rates like the middlebelt is doing, since we are too different?
Re: Racism In Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:34am On May 28, 2017
fanficgirl:

First, I'm not igbo. I didnt say igbo were guitless or innocent, just pointing out that they are the most disceiminated against. And yet, you easily sound like you believe igbos deserve it. Igbos can easily point iut how 3 million of their people were starved to death, and how Northern elites were basically puppets/satellites for the British.
They overthrew the innocent prime minister and our greatest ever leader. Then when they got a taste of their own medicine they became salty. Followed one of their own into a war they could never win. They are the architects of their own suffering.

Northern leaders were not puppets. When the brits came they saw an civilized system of government and leadership. They thought it sane to hand over leadership to those they believed were capable of handling themselves. The igbos were especially never in contention.

No one is blameless in Nigeria's history. You have an unprecedented hatred of igbos, but claim Southerners are hateful and intolerant lol. At least we agreed on one thing about disintegration. I believe disintegration can happen if all agree peacefully.
I dont waste my time hating on small fries. But you cant deny or hide the hatred you harbor for us.

Disintegration will come very soon Inshaa Allah.

I didn't cheer for any Northerner being killed. Didn't even know about it. I didn't say anything about betraying your religion, but you can practice your religion without bringing politics into it. Why are so many muslims okay with moving to secular countries, despite the fact that they may comes from countries with Sharia? So you don't want to raise Northern Nigeria's literacy rates like the middlebelt is doing, since we are too different?
Sharia in Nigeria doesnt have anything whatsoever to do with politics. You keep missing the point.

These muslim countries wouldnt be in turmoil if these secular states werent acting as puppeteers in the first place. Every state in the north is prioritizing education. There is no such thing as the middle belt.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Have Officially Decided That Black People Are Beyond Reason. / The Oldest Bronze Artifacts Known In West Africa, The Igboukwu Bronze / Challenge To All Northerners: Educate Your People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.