Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,797 members, 7,798,694 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

Wannacry Ransomware - How to Stay Safe - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Wannacry Ransomware - How to Stay Safe (1029 Views)

Malware Techblog, The Creator Of Wannacry Kill Switch Arrested By FBI / Running Windows? How To Protect Against The Big Ransomware 'wannacry' Attack / Massive Ransomware "Wannacry"attacking Computers Worldwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wannacry Ransomware - How to Stay Safe by Integrity4u(m): 11:32pm On May 15, 2017
In the wake of the WannaCry ransomware demanding close to €230($300) trending around the cyber space, I think its time we took some things serious especially when it comes to cyber security.

The first is the issue of software update, according to my OWN calculation less than 35% of computer users I know update their software constantly, a lot of people are comfortable with the old or very archaic ones they use.
I was in a big institution recently and to my utmost surprise they still use a Windows XP system. Imagine XP after so many updates by Microsoft and an institution is still comfortable with Windows XP.

We need to know that the main reason for creating software update is not only to make the program more fascinating to the eye or work out a good UI design but also to tackle the latest malwares created by hackers around the world and the latest WannaCry ransomware is an example of such, it only attacks systems that are using previous editions of Windows (Windows 10 is safe from the attack). Since, it is the only one with the updated windows defender software.

Another thing we need to do is constant backup of our files especially the very important ones. WannaCry ransomware encrypt files on victims system and there is a possibility of the user not been able to recover those files except they pay, Imagine a company been infected without a good backup?
Recent arrival of cloud storage has made it easier for users to backup their files without any hassle its just a Google Drive, One Drive or Dropbox away.

Our cyber security is very important and we need to work on our safety at all times because the bad guys are just a click away.

cc lalasticlala

Re: Wannacry Ransomware - How to Stay Safe by hunnme: 7:22am On May 16, 2017
WannaCry Ransomware. should not hit india, as we are already suffering the losses via currency change

(1) (Reply)

Windows 10 Eating Your Data / London Used HP Pavilion G6 For Sale @ Affordable Price / Clean Direct Uk Used Hp Probook 6550b 320gb 4gb At Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.