Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,057 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Common Birds In Nigeria - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Common Birds In Nigeria (38098 Views)

World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Common Snake In Eti-Osa Area Of Lagos: Is It Venomous Or Poisonous? / Most Common Passwords 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:13pm On May 16, 2017
UrennaNkoli:
That laughing dove should be the most common in nigeria. They are everywhere

That is Y they are No 1

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:17pm On May 16, 2017
ThinkWISELY:
I can relate with everything,but which one is SUN BIRD undecided undecided

Its quite common bro

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by fatiaforreal: 9:22pm On May 16, 2017
1) African Grey parrots. In rivers(Ahoda),Bayelsa, Delta, and even Lagos(Unilag, Ikoyi, Railway compound, Military hospital tabs)
2) Senegalese parrot. In Lagos, you find them in all the places above in addition to Surulere, Luther, VI. They're far more widespread than the grey parrot.
3) Ring necked parakeet. They're the green parrots with long tail. They share environment with the Senegalese parrots.
4)Canaries (both yellow and the grey singing finch). They're abundant in the north but I've also seen few in Ikorodu in Lagos and in University of Benin.
5) Lizard basalt. It is aspecie of falcon. In Lagos, they specialize in snatching lizards from the walls and attacking birds in cages and those flying around.
6) African Fish Eagle. I saw one life in Ojo, Lagos, which is an area with forest and creeks.
7) Woodpecker.
coolHumming birds. Common in Lekki-Epe axis.
9) what about the elder brother of the laughing dove? It is grey with thick black line at the back of its neck. Yorubas call it Adaba while the laughing dove is called Odere
10)Weaver bird. Yellow with black on the wings and sometimes on the head

4 Likes

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:22pm On May 16, 2017
Mckandre:
Haba ! U no even remember this one wey too dey like carry Mama romanus chicken every time e born angry

I no know the name bro.

That's Y I did not include it.
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by HyDef(m): 9:23pm On May 16, 2017
The dove, kingfisher, and crow, are the three I see the most around here. The kingfisher is a bit less common however.

Anyway, when I had a camera, I took pictures of each of them. Thought I would share them here.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by spinna: 9:24pm On May 16, 2017
As a bird lover i appreciate this thread

other usual suspects are the lemon billed cocatou or plantain eater and the tawny eagle which comes in the dry season

A kingfisher in Ikeja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i8JiXG8ONU

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:24pm On May 16, 2017
Dexter247:
Eagle didn't make the list.. WTF undecided

as weird as it sounds, E be like say we no get eagle for 9ja ooooooo
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Justicealh3(m): 9:24pm On May 16, 2017
At least I gat the knowledge from U" Mr poster.

Thanks any way.

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by jc4real(m): 9:25pm On May 16, 2017
Kite: A bird of prey.Hens with chicks are always wary of its presence.
I sometimes feel sad hearing the helpless cries of chicks in the powerful talons of this bird...we are just as helpless in the cold hands of death.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:25pm On May 16, 2017
VickyRotex:
Lekeleke come gimme white white fingers grin

Eye awon iya Oshoronga nko? angry

Dem no get botanical name.

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by spinna: 9:26pm On May 16, 2017
Small green parrotus nigerianus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2SGbbVuEec

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:28pm On May 16, 2017
What about the wild canary? Those pesky yellow birds did my father's corn farm a whole lot of damage. Beautiful birds though.

2 Likes

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:28pm On May 16, 2017
IgbosAreGreat:
DIS thread weak honestly

Strengthen am dear.

Addition is allowed
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35pm On May 16, 2017
[quote author=fatiaforreal post=56588220]1) African Grey parrots. In rivers(Ahoda),Bayelsa, Delta, and even Lagos(Unilag, Ikoyi, Railway compound, Military hospital tabs)
2) Senegalese parrot. In Lagos, you find them in all the places above in addition to Surulere, Luther, VI. They're far more widespread than the grey parrot.
3) Ring necked parakeet. They're the green parrots with long tail. They share environment with the Senegalese parrots.
4)Canaries (both yellow and the grey singing finch). They're abundant in the north but I've also seen few in Ikorodu in Lagos and in University of Benin. Canaries were quite common in my former hood. They chose the spot 'cause it was full of little corn farms which they often attacked.

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Parable007: 9:37pm On May 16, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
5) Fire finchers: The firefinches (Lagonosticta ) are a genus of bird in the Estrildidae family. There are 11 species of fire finchers.
we call this sui sui in the north

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by ephi123(f): 9:37pm On May 16, 2017
Nice thread OP.

2 Likes

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by asha80(m): 9:39pm On May 16, 2017
fatiaforreal:
1) African Grey parrots. In rivers(Ahoda),Bayelsa, Delta, and even Lagos(Unilag, Ikoyi, Railway compound, Military hospital tabs)
4)Canaries (both yellow and the grey singing finch). They're abundant in the north but I've also seen few in Ikorodu in Lagos and in University of Benin.
5) Lizard basalt. It is aspecie of falcon. In Lagos, they specialize in snatching lizards from the walls and attacking birds in cages and those flying around.
6) African Fish Eagle. I saw one life in Ojo, Lagos, which is an area with forest and creeks.
7) Woodpecker.
coolHumming birds. Common in Lekki-Epe axis.
9) what about the elder brother of the laughing dove? It is grey with thick black line at the back of its neck. Yorubas call it Adaba while the laughing dove is called Odere
10)Weaver bird. Yellow with black on the wings and sometimes on the head
no 9 is called kpalakuku(named after its singing sound) in igbo

for no 5 is that the real name?

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by OLUJOSHINS(m): 9:52pm On May 16, 2017
African grey parrot

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by bluejeff(m): 9:53pm On May 16, 2017
nonut:
I see the woodland Fisher almost everyday. I love the way it dives into water and flies out almost immediately.
Maybe it's getting itself clean or reducing its body temperature.
I think they dive in to catch fishes.
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by bluejeff(m): 9:56pm On May 16, 2017
How about the Yellow Weaver Bird?

2 Likes

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Freeezzz(m): 9:58pm On May 16, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
1) Laughing dove (Spicopelia senegalensis): The laughing dove is a small pigeon that is a resident breeder in Sub-Saharan Africa , the Middle East east to the Indian Subcontinent . This small long-tailed dove is found in dry scrub and semi-desert habitats where pairs can often be seen feeding on the ground. A rufous and black chequered necklace gives it a distinctive pattern and is also easily distinguished from other doves by its call. Other names include palm dove and Senegal dove while in India the name of the little brown dove is often used.
This is my beloved "Edere koko"! grin
I loved this bird so much that I saved #400 to buy trap-cage, "sabon" to catch at least one so I could keep as a pet, more like a toy. Sadly, they didn't enter my cage. cool

2 Likes

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by bluejeff(m): 10:06pm On May 16, 2017
Swift.

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Kakamorufu(m): 10:26pm On May 16, 2017
maklelemakukula:
Wat of lekeleke
it's called cattle egret in english

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by AleeDee(m): 10:31pm On May 16, 2017
Wch 1 sweet pass
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 10:45pm On May 16, 2017
ollah1:

You mean westlife

kikiki Lol grin only those that are wise and listens to music a lot would understand the Joke wink

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Emmyk(m): 11:09pm On May 16, 2017
How about Pigeons?

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by maklelemakukula(m): 11:12pm On May 16, 2017
Zulu212:
grin grin grin naim be cattle egret nau cheesy grin
grin grin grin
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 11:18pm On May 16, 2017
smartty68:

So you actually took me serious grin tongue

Dexter247:

I doubt they can lift anything above 4-5kg..

Atually, there is a breed of Eagles said to be strong enough to lift Antelops, infact it is said that they hunt Animal as big as that. I think it's the golden Eagle or so no so sure but an article on the Eagle is here on Nairaland, the Thread hit FP last year or 2015, have also read about it on Facebook, the eagle is said to fly to the high mountains to break its talons and beaks so it could continue to hunt and live longer, when it's old.

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Oluwafreshing(m): 11:24pm On May 16, 2017
maklelemakukula:
Wat of lekeleke
you no see cattle Egret??

1 Like

Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Oluwafreshing(m): 11:26pm On May 16, 2017
shumuel:

Atually, there is a breed of Eagles said to be strong enough to lift Antelops, infact it is said that they hunt Animal as big as that. I think it's the golden Eagle or so no so sure but an article on the Eagle is here on Nairaland, the Thread hit FP last year or 2015, have also read about it on Facebook, the eagle is said to fly to the high mountains to break its talons and beaks so it could continue to hunt and live longer, when it's old.
truly there are eagles that can lift certain animals.
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 11:32pm On May 16, 2017
Leke Leke
Re: Common Birds In Nigeria by sukkot: 11:34pm On May 16, 2017
The swallow bird does not need visa. it travels to manchester england in the spring around april and stays there till september when it migrates to igbo-land in nigeria where it stays till april and then heads back to manchester in april. thats its annual migratory pattern

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Sphere, Inside Amazon's ₦440billion Mini-Rainforest Office In Seattle(Photo) / Kelvin Doe, Sierra Leonean Who Built His Own Radio Station At The Age Of 13 / Uniben Student Builds Touchless Phone From Scratch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.