Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,118 members, 7,807,380 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

I Need Advice On My Computer Science Learning Path - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Need Advice On My Computer Science Learning Path (980 Views)

BACKEND Learning Path. / Advice On Data Science Learning Path / For Computer Science Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Advice On My Computer Science Learning Path by bbdiamond: 9:37pm On May 17, 2017
I am currently a 200 level student of computer science, I learnt html and css on my own through online tutorials, pdfs and constant practice. Now, I can boldly say I am very good at it. I started learning python some weeks ago, and I have gone reasonably far, then this semester , I realized that C programming language is a course for this semester. I'd wanted to learn javascript and Jquery after python, but I feel that introducing C into this semester will confuse my learning as I would be learning two languages at the same time. Please, what should I do?
Second question; From my tech gurus in the house, please I would like to know where the world is going to ICT wise so that I can start now to tap into the work before hand. Thank you.
Mods please help me out.
Re: I Need Advice On My Computer Science Learning Path by bbdiamond: 6:58am On May 18, 2017
I need help o
Re: I Need Advice On My Computer Science Learning Path by PrinceTegaton(m): 8:03am On May 18, 2017
As a student i did several programming languages such as vb6, java, vb.net, c++, cobol, fortran, pascal, assembly language and so on. They just broaden ur knowledge of programming and allow you to understand the underlying concepts behind various languages and styles.
Stick with your python only if you have somewhere good to learn it officially. You cant stand before someone who paid even 20k at an IT center to learn the language. Online tuts are good but you don't get a certificate to boost your cv unless you take a paid course from lynda or mva an co.

Contact me on 07052442223 if you need a real advice on your path. I am an IT career guider
Re: I Need Advice On My Computer Science Learning Path by bet9ja(m): 11:22am On May 18, 2017
I will advise you to channel your interest on C, it will give you a strong foundation in programming, I still don't know why some schools still start with C and not C++ which is Multi-paradigm, Procedural / Object Oriented language. My advice is based on my personal experience which is quit similar to yours, I started with HTML/CSS and i could not understood what JavaScript is all about. I tried Java/C# and i could not comprehend.

If it was necessary for me to use JavaScript in my web project, I read between the lines and do copy and paste ... THAT'S FUNNY THOUGH... I picked up Python and i was enjoying it until i realized that i will be facing C++ in one of my module. I search online to learn more about C++ and general perception but all i noticed was a venom on C++ by people who do not like it for no reason. I decided to take an online class with edx (Introduction to C++). After i was done with it, I have the confident that C++ is not hard as people portray it. Big thanks to the study materials i got from my school which is self explanatory, and the voluminous assignments which contributed some % to our final exam. I am still studying it and enjoying it.

In conclusion, now i can code in JavaScript/java/C# with the knowledge of C++, I just completed a project for a client which requires me use PHP, I sacrifice just 8 hours starting with PHP and i am able to figure out the way to complete the project with the knowledge of C++.
Re: I Need Advice On My Computer Science Learning Path by maxibestflow(m): 7:19pm On May 18, 2017
get in touch with me via +2347031078462

(1) (Reply)

Automation Testing – Best Open Source Tools For Mobile Apps / I Need A PHP Web Developer / An Easy Way To Get Hacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.