Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? (29455 Views)

See 30 Of The Weirdest Vehicles Ever Spotted On The Road (PHOTOS) / See 30 Of The Weirdest Car Accidents (pix) / My 2003 Camry Automatic Gear Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by dfrost: 4:21pm On May 18, 2017
Mynd44:

Imagine trying to change gears and find out you are suddenly going backwards grin grin grin

shocked This should not happen in Lasgidi oooo else Danfo go turn your car to something else.

1 Like

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Dcaliphate(m): 4:32pm On May 18, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
Every thing electronically controlled has its down sides.

But it looks really nice
Exactly my point too, a car is more likely to slip into any gear and speed out of control with gear selectors like these

1 Like

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by DonPerryReng: 4:35pm On May 18, 2017
believe me, so far that Mercedes shift is d best so far.. u will only call it weird if u have never used it b4..

3 Likes

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by joenor(m): 4:38pm On May 18, 2017
Na wah
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by carzola(m): 5:00pm On May 18, 2017
When you finally bring a
Village boy to the city
This are the kind of
Post you expect.
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Ajewealth123(m): 5:06pm On May 18, 2017
Mynd44:
We are probably all used to gear shifts as joystick lookinbut knobs? Thats weird right?

The RAM 1500 hemi is even worse as it looks like the volume controller for the car stereo. Imagine trying to reduce/increase volume and find out you are suddenly going backwards grin grin grin

Picture credits

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/another-fca-gear-shifter-investigated-rollaway-risk-following-crashes

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2013-ram.html

The third image is worse, it is raining, you are trying to turn on your wiper and you blow your transmission

Credit for the third: https://twitter.com/KeefBoy_/status/865022528015781888
let me share my funny story with you.
On my dp you will see a cls 400 4matic Benz. That's the first time am driving a car with a crazy gear like you last pics.
Fine I go it to reverse from my compound,
I got it to drive to town now to the crazy part.
I dey this sloppy place,as in slope to the front and I need to park this crazy car.
The a.c is too notch but my broda,I begin sweat cos to park am na problem.
Didn't know I was suppose to a press a button at the extreme end of the gear to shift it into park.
It was funny and crazy at the same time cos it took me more than 35minutes to park ordinary car o

3 Likes

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Liljeez(m): 5:10pm On May 18, 2017
ThisTrend:
Explorer, AutojoshNG, AutoreportNG
U dinor mention me
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Ajewealth123(m): 5:13pm On May 18, 2017
Somatic:
These are the kind of cars you'd definitely not buy for mama and papa. This type no go get am for manual at all at all.
dem get manual but they are confusing.
Like in Benz.
Seat adjustment has store 1,2,3
That is if you are tall,you adjust the seat to your taste and store it with store 1 or 2 or 3
If a short person too want to drive,he adjust to his taste and store it
Now if a tall person wants to drive that same car,he will just press store 1 and it goes back to its own settings without resetting it.

Then cruise control.
Just accelerate to your desire acceleration and save it lobatan.
Remove your leg from acceleration,your car is going on it's own niyen no wahala and when you wan enter gallop, just match brake drive through gallop and remove leg again,it goes back to stored acceleration.

My broda, Benz na father o. Twale to Benz jaree

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Nobody: 5:15pm On May 18, 2017
No. Those electronic controls are 'idiot-proof'. No input is accepted until the car is stationary, so no risk of transmission damage due to unintended activation.

4 Likes

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by RicardoRich(m): 5:28pm On May 18, 2017
What the?! Pls giv me smthng I cn hold... #teammanual...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Jabioro: 5:35pm On May 18, 2017
Is automatic,once you engaged the shift and you're the motion, you can't do anything with gear level until the car is motionless, the same way you dealing with common automatics shift gear..
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by PBundles(m): 5:39pm On May 18, 2017
If you simply would have put it in neutral and held the brake while turning it off, would have jumped Park.

Also the MB has flippers on each side for those with Sport option.

Actually I find the cruise control on the left side worse as its next to the indicator so you sometimes want to increase speed but you hit the indicator.

I had as similar issue when I picked up my new ride some weeks ago. As I got to work I had to use my security badge to open the garage. Since I just picked it up I didnty want to get to close to the port, but I couldnt reach close enough out the window so I opened the door a bit as the garage door opened I gave gas no movement. Looking around and getting nervous as more cars pulled up behind me I started sweating and feeling stupid. The guy behind me got of his car came to my window to see what was wrong. He said dude your door wasnt fulled closed, look at your dash. MB has with the keyless entry a block that the car wont drive if not FULLY closed. I drove quickly parked my car and hurried to the lift as I didnt want the ppl who were behind me to see me. I actually laughed about it later with some collegues.

Having said that Ive had 3 MBs, all new all E classes since 2008, just picked up my E350 end Feb and nothing beats it.

Ajewealth123:
let me share my funny story with you.
On my dp you will see a cls 400 4matic Benz. That's the first time am driving a car with a crazy gear like you last pics.
Fine I go it to reverse from my compound,
I got it to drive to town now to the crazy part.
I dey this sloppy place,as in slope to the front and I need to park this crazy car.
The a.c is too notch but my broda,I begin sweat cos to park am na problem.
Didn't know I was suppose to a press a button at the extreme end of the gear to shift it into park.
It was funny and crazy at the same time cos it took me more than 35minutes to park ordinary car o

1 Like

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Papasmal(m): 5:42pm On May 18, 2017
Technology.
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by judgedredd22(m): 5:48pm On May 18, 2017
Mynd44:
We are probably all used to gear shifts as joystick lookinbut knobs? Thats weird right?

The RAM 1500 hemi is even worse as it looks like the volume controller for the car stereo. Imagine trying to reduce/increase volume and find out you are suddenly going backwards grin grin grin

Picture credits

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/another-fca-gear-shifter-investigated-rollaway-risk-following-crashes

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2013-ram.html

The third image is worse, it is raining, you are trying to turn on your wiper and you blow your transmission

Credit for the third: https://twitter.com/KeefBoy_/status/865022528015781888

THERE is nothing weird about them, they have actually been in use since 07/08 (that is almost ten years now). The last picture there is actually from the 2017 mercedes e-class.
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Ajewealth123(m): 5:49pm On May 18, 2017
PBundles:
If you simply would have put it in neutral and held the brake while turning it off, would have jumped Park.

Also the MB has flippers on each side for those with Sport option.

Actually I find the cruise control on the left side worse as its next to the indicator so you sometimes want to increase speed but you hit the indicator.

I had as similar issue when I picked up my new ride some weeks ago. As I got to work I had to use my security badge to open the garage. Since I just picked it up I didnty want to get to close to the port, but I couldnt reach close enough out the window so I opened the door a bit as the garage door opened I gave gas no movement. Looking around and getting nervous as more cars pulled up behind me I started sweating and feeling stupid. The guy behind me got of his car came to my window to see what was wrong. He said dude your door wasnt fulled closed, look at your dash. MB has with the keyless entry a block that the car wont drive if not FULLY closed. I drove quickly parked my car and hurried to the lift as I didnt want the ppl who were behind me to see me. I actually laughed about it later with some collegues.

Having said that Ive had 3 MBs, all new all E classes since 2008, just picked up my E350 end Feb and nothing beats it.

my broda,it is when you are thinking straight you will remember to do that o.my I.q don enter reserve as at the time am trying to park but sincerely it is a good point for future reference cos 5years to this time,we don't know the types of gear we will be dealing with

1 Like

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by usmanspihn(m): 6:04pm On May 18, 2017
BMW X6 gear is crazier. I still laugh at my first attempt. Imagine you trying to change a joystick looking gear and it doesn't move from its spot on shifts and yo park by pressing P
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 18, 2017
No they are not , pretty straight forward.
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by larrymoore(m): 6:23pm On May 18, 2017
are u an auto mechanics?
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by YoungKeem(m): 6:27pm On May 18, 2017
You are supposed to know that once your automatic transmission is on drive and you are moving you cannot change to reverse or park unless you are stationary and you apply your foot break! There is nothing like that! The only gear you can change to on motion is Sport Mode(S) and Neutral(N) well change to N at your own risk because i see no reason why you should go to N on motion!
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by YoungKeem(m): 6:30pm On May 18, 2017
Ajewealth123:
dem get manual but they are confusing.
Like in Benz.
Seat adjustment has store 1,2,3
That is if you are tall,you adjust the seat to your taste and store it with store 1 or 2 or 3
If a short person too want to drive,he adjust to his taste and store it
Now if a tall person wants to drive that same car,he will just press store 1 and it goes back to its own settings without resetting it.

Then cruise control.
Just accelerate to your desire acceleration and save it lobatan.
Remove your leg from acceleration,your car is going on it's own niyen no wahala and when you wan enter gallop, just match brake drive through gallop and remove leg again,it goes back to stored acceleration.

My broda, Benz na father o. Twale to Benz jaree
Lol apparently you have never driven a Porsche or Audi

2 Likes

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by YoungKeem(m): 6:37pm On May 18, 2017
Stick transmissions are the best!

4 Likes

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by Ajewealth123(m): 6:43pm On May 18, 2017
YoungKeem:
Lol apparently you have never driven a Porsche or Audi
Porsche get wahala jaree,I once own a Porsche cayenne it's a good ride but if the problem start, na trouble o.
Expensive and scarce parts

1 Like

Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by shumuel(m): 6:47pm On May 18, 2017
AutoReportNG:
This is kinda weird.. The way automobile is going it just can't be predicted so easily. The driver has to be extra skilled and must have mastered the car very well else, na gbege oo..

Nice innovation anyway

I think the first car to ever use this type of gear was the BMW X7, abi ?

Sukkot:
Were you banned ?
Missed you bro grin
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by PBundles(m): 7:15pm On May 18, 2017
Dont mind me, na tru talk, at that moment your brain will just freeze. grin

Ajewealth123:
my broda,it is when you are thinking straight you will remember to do that o.my I.q don enter reserve as at the time am trying to park but sincerely it is a good point for future reference cos 5years to this time,we don't know the types of gear we will be dealing with
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by fm001(m): 7:37pm On May 18, 2017
The third picture is for Mercedes Benz 4matic ML 500 ..... German cars na baba
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by lonelydora: 7:55pm On May 18, 2017
The BMW 7 series also have the the third pix gear lever.
Re: Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? by hisMrs(f): 8:02pm On May 18, 2017
This is supposed to make life more convenient but it would take a lot of Time to get used to.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Spotted Using Palm Oil As Lubricant For His Motorcycle / US: Thieves Steal 124 Wheels From 34 Chevy Cars Worth $120,000 In A Single Night / All 2019 Bentley Models Will Come With Centenary Badges To Mark Its 100 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.