Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,955 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? - Business To Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Business To Business / How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? (15722 Views)

How Much Will It Cost To Setup A Pure Water Business / How Much Does It Cost To Have An Exhibit At A Trade Show? / How Much Does It Cost To Rent A 15,000 Litre Peddler / Trip ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by skima(m): 3:13pm On Jan 29, 2007
Hello house,

I wish to go into magazine publishing as i have an idea to lunch into the industry soon. Am very sure we have great minds in this forum and also i think there could be some people who are into it or have done it before.

I want you guy to give me breakdown or total cost of what it will take.

Thanks Guys!
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by TerraCotta(m): 3:20am On Jan 30, 2007
Can't give you prices in naira, but you should estimate that it takes 3 to 5 years to become profitable, and that print publishing is something of a dying business. Whatever your business model is, I'd suggest that you seriously develop an Internet presence. Nigeria might not be there yet with Internet ubiquity, but you should be prepared for the future of the publishing industry.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by akinalabi(m): 4:17am On Jan 30, 2007
Hi,

I'll have to disagree with TerraCotta

3-5 years to become profitable? Joke of the century. Don't
tell that to Sunny Obazu Ojeagbase or Ibe Kachikwu

Print publishing is dying? My goodness! Don't tell that
to Dele Momodu or Nduka Obaigbena.

Despite the phenomenal growth of the internet, nothing
beats holding a quality magazine and curling up on a
couch.

Back to the crux of the matter.

There are many factors you should consider that will
determine the cost.

- Number of copies you want to print
- Printing material types you want to use (gsm weight for example)
- Type of graphic design you desire
- Staff hiring
- Cost of getting stories
- Other logistics

And many many more.

You're the only one that has the answer. From there
you'll determine your cost

I've been involved with the publishing of a magazine
starting from ground zero and it became profitable
from the first issue despite the fact that there were
no external ads.

As Sunny Obazu Ojeagbase once said, if you can't
profit or break even without advertising revenue, then
don't do it.

All the best.

Akin Alabi
http://akinalabi..com
http://www.ecashnigeria.com

=
=

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by skima(m): 3:13pm On Jan 30, 2007
Yea
Great comment from you guys.

All this will be included in the business plan and analysis. Meanwhile, internet presence is also an area where we will focus our attention.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by ajayi1(m): 3:41pm On Jan 30, 2007
Men to say th fact it takes time and money, The last time I printed best colour mag. out of 1000 co-ies dey charge me 250k. I do design my self. It is true before you get your money back it takes time. your first publish will not bring you profit, you will sacrifies that.

Need more advise, contact me
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by tosynn: 12:01am On Oct 06, 2008
hello everyone
I need serious help on starting a new magazine, any help would be greatly appreciated, pls u can mail me on phemioye@yahoo.com, or call 08020715279 smiley
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by CAROLINAg: 10:25am On Mar 14, 2009
Im seriously loving some of the advice from you guys! Im about to start a magazine and i need lots of information. I hope the best to this guy requesting to know the costs, this will also help me as well my E-mail is carolina_bonita@yahoo.com
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by okogba64: 2:49pm On Jul 12, 2010
Hello Forumites,

I'm happy to participate in this great issue. As a matter of fact I have over twenty years in this field. No joke. Currently I am working out a simple manual to teach Nigerians, how to make money publishing their own newspaper and magazines.

Right now, all I have to give are the following simple steps which if followed will make money for you right from the first issue and ensure you can continue in this business.

1. Find a niche. The smaller the niche the better for you except you have tons of cash to higher staff, promote and market your product till you are able to break even.

2. Get mentors on whose shoulders you will stand to launch your maiden issue and obtain the initial adverts.

3. Tailor your stories to meet the taste of your immediate audience.

4. Leverage on your niche idea and your mentors, who must be monied men and women, not just intellectuals who will speak grammar and give you peanuts. Publishing is done with money not words.

5. Keep your budget low.

6. Seek to to use OPM to finance the first issue. Your mentors who may be honorary board members, people you will interview or profile their business etc. will see to that.

7. Publicly launch your product. This is where the money is. Invite your friends, family, mentors, your pastor etc. Many of them may not come but you will send copies to them and they will buy at launch price.

It's this simple.

To your success.

PS: The actual cost will depend on the quantity, no. of pages, graphic content, type of paper etc. If u PM me I could help more.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by excelabbey(m): 11:30am On Jul 15, 2010
nnn
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by olulu(m): 12:47am On Jul 24, 2010
u can start with what u have, u might never have all what u need to start. and the more u wait d more harder it gets.
3 things u need to start a business
1. idea
2. opportunity
3. money

most times u have 2 out of 3, so maximize what u ahev and use it to get what u don't have that u need.

to start a mag biz, u need like N5 million to N10 million, but do u have that with u? well, if u do, u probably won't be asking this queation.

i recently started F-FACTOR Magazine with some of my friends, and we started with N1 million or less sef, and our 3rd edition is due out by 1st week in August 2010. Though no income yet, but we are ready for the long haul, no matter what it takes.
b4 u even start at all, u need to ask yourself,

are u in it strictly for the money? or for the love of what u do?

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by paddio: 6:08am On Jul 29, 2010
dont be discouraged. in publishing contents determines your sales. if your magazine contents is super definitly u will succed. i will advice u to go on newspaper type. magazine is expensive to publish. ie, a 52 page magazine may cost u 100 plus naira depending on color,type of paper etc,
meet a printer and get full details
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by FifiO(f): 12:50pm On Oct 24, 2010
@okogba64 Hello Sir, I know this thread is long cold but I only just needed to find out about the business of publishing so i came here. Please can you contact me for a discussion on how I can consult with you on certain issues?

cml_wa@yahoo.com

Thank you
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by labamo07(m): 9:10pm On Oct 25, 2010
an impressed with the contribution of okogba64. just to add to what he had said, publishing is not as easy as everyone would tell you but go to people who have got experience in the field, ask them to tell you about their success stories, the problems they faced during startup. Basically, you need to consider 2 factors to succeed, network and money, you must have either of the 2. it depends on the type of magazine and who your audience are and its not about what you have to offer, but its what people want. meeting needs at the time of want is a factor for success. GSM succeeded in Nigeria because it came right about the time Nigerians woke up from slumber to yearn for easy communication. i will be glad to share more with anyone interested in publishing. 08083856070
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by mylovekiss: 10:27am On Jun 24, 2011
hello
how are you today i hope you are fine i am young girl never married by name Janifer i know that you may be surprise how i get your contact, i got it (AT www.nairaland.com) when i was browsing looking for honest partner i decided to write you message i will like you contact me with this email address (janifer2u@yahoo.com) so i can give you my picture for you to know whom i am. remember color or distance does not matters but love matters a lot in life,please don't write me message in this site take my e-mail write to directly to my private e-mail (janifer2u@yahoo.com) i will be waiting your reply take care of your self for me God bless you thanks yours Janifer
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by WedNcard(m): 3:00pm On Jun 24, 2011
WE NEED TO KNOW THE TYPE OF PAPER YOU WANT TO USE
AND HOW MANY PAGES ITS GOING TO BE
AND QUANTITY YOU NEED?

BECAUSE THE HIGHER THE QUANTITY YOU WANT IS GOING TO DETERMINE THE PRICE,
THE TERM IN PRINTING IS THE HIGHER YOUR QUANTITY THE LOWER YOUR PRICE.

THANK YOU.

OLAMILEKAN AROWOLO
PRODUCTION MANAGER
WED'N CARDS PUBLISHING LTD.
01-8787149, 08166122723, 08027108320
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by OluAde2011: 7:48am On Aug 05, 2011
Plz I need similar info. Im working on a local newspaper in PH. Still working on my business plan and need to know how much averagely it will cost to print 2000 copies about 10 paqes each (so 20,000 in all). It will be a weekly circulation so I'll be printing close to 100,000 copies a month. You dont have to be PH, i really just need an idea of the cost to print such. It will be on Punch size/ type paper. Any info is appreciated. Thnx smiley
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by pcTalk: 5:01pm On Aug 21, 2011
i am very hapy to be among you guys. currently am working on a magazine that will be publish soon. i must admit that i have enough information regarding to that.

that you guys.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by bigimo: 3:11pm On Aug 26, 2011
Hi my people,
Does anyone know how much it would cost to print a 16 paged 50% coloured newspaper in Nigeria. Can anyone give me contact of a newspaper printing press who is reputed for quality and timeliness. My contact is familylifenigeria@gmail.com

I'll be most grateful.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by oyetpel(m): 8:57pm On Jul 07, 2015
ajayi1:
Men to say th fact it takes time and money, The last time I printed best colour mag. out of 1000 co-ies dey charge me 250k. I do design my self. It is true before you get your money back it takes time. your first publish will not bring you profit, you will sacrifies that.

Need more advise, contact me
Hello bro, i want to contact you about dis ur post dat i quote abt publishing of magazine
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by oyetpel(m): 9:01pm On Jul 07, 2015
okogba64:
Hello Forumites,

I'm happy to participate in this great issue. As a matter of fact I have over twenty years in this field. No joke. Currently I am working out a simple manual to teach Nigerians, how to make money publishing their own newspaper and magazines.

Right now, all I have to give are the following simple steps which if followed will make money for you right from the first issue and ensure you can continue in this business.

1. Find a niche. The smaller the niche the better for you except you have tons of cash to higher staff, promote and market your product till you are able to break even.

2. Get mentors on whose shoulders you will stand to launch your maiden issue and obtain the initial adverts.

3. Tailor your stories to meet the taste of your immediate audience.

4. Leverage on your niche idea and your mentors, who must be monied men and women, not just intellectuals who will speak grammar and give you peanuts. Publishing is done with money not words.

5. Keep your budget low.

6. Seek to to use OPM to finance the first issue. Your mentors who may be honorary board members, people you will interview or profile their business etc. will see to that.

7. Publicly launch your product. This is where the money is. Invite your friends, family, mentors, your pastor etc. Many of them may not come but you will send copies to them and they will buy at launch price.

It's this simple.

To your success.

PS: The actual cost will depend on the quantity, no. of pages, graphic content, type of paper etc. If u PM me I could help more.

Hello bro, pls i nid your advise on publishing magazine, thanks, anticipating ur reply
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by hyperflex(m): 3:23pm On Nov 07, 2015
Let us converge our energy and win together. Some of us have great ideas and others good at materializing the idea. If two pple with this quality come together we can be great. I intend to start an empire. I love entertainment. But since I can't muster the brains to rap good I want to manage the talents. That is a future plan tho. The now plan is to start a magazine with a catchy feel. Magazine that wld make the reader gulp every detail inside and ask for more. Yea website is the first stop then print the second. Something about print that the internet still can't take away. let us start something that wld last a lifetime, something that would impact on the lives of our demographics, something that wld become a brand like Pepsi or Microsoft or HipTv, or MTV. I know you all want to do it for ourselves n gains but that is not the way. I read that Mark Zuckerberg called five people into his dorm in 2005 to start work on facebook n only two replied. Today those two r millionaires. But like Mark who needed Eduardo Saverin as his first CFO I need someone too. Funds for this project. I cannot do it alone n I need a team. Photographer, webmaster, programmer, layout Designer, writers.
Let's build a brand today n now. Call me 08062214545 or email: dantemedici@live.com. This is serious and I need a team. Let's take over.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 08, 2015
hyperflex:
Let us converge our energy and win together. Some of us have great ideas and others good at materializing the idea. If two pple with this quality come together we can be great. I intend to start an empire. I love entertainment. But since I can't muster the brains to rap good I want to manage the talents. That is a future plan tho. The now plan is to start a magazine with a catchy feel. Magazine that wld make the reader gulp every detail inside and ask for more. Yea website is the first stop then print the second. Something about print that the internet still can't take away. let us start something that wld last a lifetime, something that would impact on the lives of our demographics, something that wld become a brand like Pepsi or Microsoft or HipTv, or MTV. I know you all want to do it for ourselves n gains but that is not the way. I read that Mark Zuckerberg called five people into his dorm in 2005 to start work on facebook n only two replied. Today those two r millionaires. But like Mark who needed Eduardo Saverin as his first CFO I need someone too. Funds for this project. I cannot do it alone n I need a team. Photographer, webmaster, programmer, layout Designer, writers.
Let's build a brand today n now. Call me 08062214545 or email: dantemedici@live.com. This is serious and I need a team. Let's take over.

Similar dream. Nice perspective. I aint got no money though but I love the dream and would love to participate. I'm currently researching on this magazine biz too. Just that my scope will take lots of travelling around Nigeria.

Nobody can do without these guys; Photographer, webmaster, programmer, layout Designer, writers.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by hyperflex(m): 11:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
Eintelekt:

Similar dream. Nice perspective. I aint got no money though but I love the dream and would love to participate. I'm currently researching on this magazine biz too. Just that my scope will take lots of travelling around Nigeria.

Nobody can do without these guys; Photographer, webmaster, programmer, layout Designer, writers.

Would let u know as it goes. Looking for sponsor

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 10, 2015
hyperflex:

Would let u know as it goes. Looking for sponsor
Will appreciate
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by Eze2Odds(m): 1:39pm On Oct 16, 2019
Many years later..........
Here i am trying to build something similar but in a different way.
how far did you guys go in achieving the dreams??
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Publish Magazine? by Petrodirect: 10:31pm On May 06, 2020
Good

(1) (Reply)

3days Hip Up / Small Chops: Our Price List / Apply For Soft Loans And Get Paid Within Two Working Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.