Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,312 members, 7,780,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:19 PM

Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? (1264 Views)

1996 Toyota Camry Does Not Move / 1996 Toyota Camry, Green Colour, N480k / How Much Will I Use To Clear A 1996 S420 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by Populus: 3:52pm On May 18, 2017
Please can anyone recommend an Autoshop (preferably around Festac Town) where I can scan a 1996 Toyota Camry. I understand it's not OBD II compliant. Most shops only have devices for scanning OBD II compliant vehicles. I need to scan it ASAP. Seems like the Catalyst is faulty/bad.
Thanks.
Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by Nobody: 3:54pm On May 18, 2017
They will help u

Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by NwaObinkita: 3:55pm On May 18, 2017
Go to National Orthopedic Hospital, Igbobi...you can even do a good x-ray on the car.

Is the price of a scan not more expensive than a '96 Camry
Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by Populus: 4:10pm On May 18, 2017
NwaObinkita:
Go to National Orthopedic Hospital, Igbobi...you can even do a good x-ray on the car.

Is the price of a scan not more expensive than a '96 Camry

Really? That I asked to scan a '96 Camry doesn't mean I don't know how much it costs to scan newer models.
Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by Populus: 4:12pm On May 18, 2017
HsLBroker:
They will help u
Thanks. I appreciate.
Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 18, 2017
Populus:

Thanks. I appreciate.
Glory to God, you are welcome
Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by bigl: 6:15pm On May 18, 2017
Camry 96 officially has obd 1 port and its located in the hood.

I used to av that same car. The way I usually do is use a jumper cable to bridge d te1 and e1 (if I remember correctly), switch the ignition on without crankinh the engine.

The check engin light comes on and flashes 10 times.

After that, u get a pause, then it flashes the no of time to indicate the fault code.

For instance, for a code of say 52 (which is knock sensor problem), it will flash 5 times, pause, then flash 2 times.

That's how it goes round till all d code signals are flashed. Then it repeats itself.

Just note down the codes and check with the code chat below:

Toyota OBD1 Codes Retrieval For Pre-1996 Vehicles

Toyota 1990-1995 vehicles obd1 code retrieval

When the check engine light shows up in your 1990-95 Toyota vehicle, the quickest way to get the code is to access the diagnostic connector in the engine compartment ( usually sitting in the fender) or by the kick panel under the dash board in the passenger side.

Connect a jumper wire between terminals TE1 and E1 terminals and by turning the key on, it will start flashing the codes in your dash. On Tercel and MR2, use the jumper wire between terminals T and E1 instead.

If there are no codes, the check engine light will flash 2 times per second CONSTANTLY with no patterns or pauses. If there are any codes, it will be shown in 2 digits codes. Example: code 24 is shown as 2 flashes, a pause followed by 4 flashes. If there are mode codes, the next one will transmitted after 2.5 seconds. (One some models, codes are displayed in one digit code only and the difference is the codes are displayed with 4.5 seconds delay between codes). When finished reading the codes, turn the key off and remove the jumper wire.

Shown above is an example of the location of the diagnostic connector.

Here are the common codes for Toyota vehicles 1988-95:

Code 11 Momentary interruption in power supply to ECU (electronic control unit or computer) up to 1991

Code 12 Engine revolution signal missing

Code 13 Rpm signal to ecu missing above 1000 rpm

Code 14 Igniter signal to ecu missing

Code 16 A/T control signal missing from ecu

Code 21 Main oxygen sensor signal fault

Code 22 Water temperature sensor circuit fault

Code 23 and 24 Intake air temperature signal fault

Code 25 Air/fuel ratio LEAN

Code 26 Air/fuel ratio RICH

Code 27 Sub-oxygen sensor signal or heater circuit fault

Code 28 No.2 oxygen sensor/heater signal fault

Code 31 and 32 Air flow meter circuit or Vacuum sensor signal fault

Code 34 and 36 Turbo-charging pressure signal fault

Code 35 Altitude compensation sensor signal fault

Code 41 Throttle position circuit fault

Code 42 Vehicle speed sensor circuit

Code 43 No starter signal to the ecu

Code 51 AC signal on; DL contact off (in trany shifter with diagnostic connector jumped)

Code 52, 53 and 55 Knock sensor fault

Code 71 EGR system malfunction

Code 72 Fuel cut solenoid signal fault

Code 78 Fuel pump control signal fault

Code 81, 83, 84 and 85 TCM communication fault

After getting the above OBD1 fault codes, reset it by disconnecting the
battery negative terminal for 1-2 minutes and reconnect.

Get the code again when the engine is warmed up. The next bunch of codes are the ones you will fix.

Knowing this Toyota 1983-1985 OBD1 Decoder along with the knowledge of common vehicle fixes for your Toyota model will help you fix the problem quick.

When you buy the suspected defective Toyota parts, the dealer can usually tell the common fixes.

Another way some Toyota get hold of the common fixes is by getting a repair estimate from a garage. If the total repair cost is reasonable, go ahead and tell them to fix it. Otherwise, if the defective part is quoted in the estimate is expensive, you can tow the vehicle home and do it yourself especially if the labor cost is around $100 an hour and they cannot give you the exact labor time estimate.

1 Like

Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by OPUSDEI1(m): 6:17am On May 19, 2017
1996 Toyota Camry is OBD 2 compliant if that's what you are asking for.

Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by Populus: 3:32pm On May 19, 2017
bigl:
Camry 96 officially has obd 1 port and its located in the hood.

I used to av that same car. The way I usually do is use a jumper cable to bridge d te1 and e1 (if I remember correctly), switch the ignition on without crankinh the engine.

The check engin light comes on and flashes 10 times.

After that, u get a pause, then it flashes the no of time to indicate the fault code.

For instance, for a code of say 52 (which is knock sensor problem), it will flash 5 times, pause, then flash 2 times.

That's how it goes round till all d code signals are flashed. Then it repeats itself.

Just note down the codes and check with the code chat below:

Toyota OBD1 Codes Retrieval For Pre-1996 Vehicles

Toyota 1990-1995 vehicles obd1 code retrieval

When the check engine light shows up in your 1990-95 Toyota vehicle, the quickest way to get the code is to access the diagnostic connector in the engine compartment ( usually sitting in the fender) or by the kick panel under the dash board in the passenger side.

Connect a jumper wire between terminals TE1 and E1 terminals and by turning the key on, it will start flashing the codes in your dash. On Tercel and MR2, use the jumper wire between terminals T and E1 instead.

If there are no codes, the check engine light will flash 2 times per second CONSTANTLY with no patterns or pauses. If there are any codes, it will be shown in 2 digits codes. Example: code 24 is shown as 2 flashes, a pause followed by 4 flashes. If there are mode codes, the next one will transmitted after 2.5 seconds. (One some models, codes are displayed in one digit code only and the difference is the codes are displayed with 4.5 seconds delay between codes). When finished reading the codes, turn the key off and remove the jumper wire.

Shown above is an example of the location of the diagnostic connector.

Here are the common codes for Toyota vehicles 1988-95:

Code 11 Momentary interruption in power supply to ECU (electronic control unit or computer) up to 1991

Code 12 Engine revolution signal missing

Code 13 Rpm signal to ecu missing above 1000 rpm

Code 14 Igniter signal to ecu missing

Code 16 A/T control signal missing from ecu

Code 21 Main oxygen sensor signal fault

Code 22 Water temperature sensor circuit fault

Code 23 and 24 Intake air temperature signal fault

Code 25 Air/fuel ratio LEAN

Code 26 Air/fuel ratio RICH

Code 27 Sub-oxygen sensor signal or heater circuit fault

Code 28 No.2 oxygen sensor/heater signal fault

Code 31 and 32 Air flow meter circuit or Vacuum sensor signal fault

Code 34 and 36 Turbo-charging pressure signal fault

Code 35 Altitude compensation sensor signal fault

Code 41 Throttle position circuit fault

Code 42 Vehicle speed sensor circuit

Code 43 No starter signal to the ecu

Code 51 AC signal on; DL contact off (in trany shifter with diagnostic connector jumped)

Code 52, 53 and 55 Knock sensor fault

Code 71 EGR system malfunction

Code 72 Fuel cut solenoid signal fault

Code 78 Fuel pump control signal fault

Code 81, 83, 84 and 85 TCM communication fault

After getting the above OBD1 fault codes, reset it by disconnecting the
battery negative terminal for 1-2 minutes and reconnect.

Get the code again when the engine is warmed up. The next bunch of codes are the ones you will fix.

Knowing this Toyota 1983-1985 OBD1 Decoder along with the knowledge of common vehicle fixes for your Toyota model will help you fix the problem quick.

When you buy the suspected defective Toyota parts, the dealer can usually tell the common fixes.

Another way some Toyota get hold of the common fixes is by getting a repair estimate from a garage. If the total repair cost is reasonable, go ahead and tell them to fix it. Otherwise, if the defective part is quoted in the estimate is expensive, you can tow the vehicle home and do it yourself especially if the labor cost is around $100 an hour and they cannot give you the exact labor time estimate.
Quite Revealing...Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by Populus: 3:37pm On May 19, 2017
OPUSDEI1:
I don't think so. The port is different from a much newer model I have.
Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by bigl: 9:21am On May 20, 2017
Populus:

Quite Revealing...Thanks a lot.

You're welcome bro
Re: Where Can I Scan A 1996 Toyota Camry? by bigl: 9:27am On May 20, 2017
OPUSDEI1:

Nope! U're partially right. Lemme break it down for u.

No 1: I used a 1995 camry xle (manufactured march 20 1995) for about 2years and there isn't a single port under the hood or else where in the compartment for obd. I practically took a day off from work to be sure I wasn't looking properly.

That almost ran my crazy then I remembered the internet.

No 2: it was online discovered there were 2 variants of the said camry. Any car made before october or november 1995 had ob 1 port and it is in the hood of the car. All others that had not left the factory arpund november were mandated to be fitted with obd2 port.

So there goes the clarification brovas!

I'm still learning too sha o!

(1) (Reply)

Lagos - Vehicle Inspection - Increased Road Worthiness - Starts Today 01/08 / Toyota Camry 2007 For Sale / Top 7 Most Extravagant Cars In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.