Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,943 members, 7,806,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Airbags: How They Work And Types - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Airbags: How They Work And Types (13129 Views)

7 Injuries Car Airbags Can Cause If They Deploy / Honda And Toyota Recall Additional 1million Vehicles For Faulty Takata Airbags / World’s First Child Car Seat With Built-in Airbags Goes On Sale Worldwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Airbags: How They Work And Types by obafemee80(m): 1:05am On May 19, 2017
The basic idea is that the airbag inflates as soon as the car starts to slow down in an accident and deflates as your head presses against it. That's important: if the bag didn't deflate, your head would just bounce back off it and you'd be no better off.

[img]http:///a/img924/2595/nPoGUl.png[/img]

1)When a car hits something, it starts to decelerate (lose speed) very rapidly.

2)An accelerometer (electronic chip that measures acceleration or force) detects the change of speed.

3)If the deceleration is great enough, the accelerometer triggers the airbag circuit. Normal braking doesn't generate enough force to do this.

4)The airbag circuit passes an electric current through a heating element (a bit like one of the wires in a toaster).

5)The heating element ignites a chemical explosive. Older airbags used sodium azide as their explosive; newer ones use different chemicals.

6)As the explosive burns, it generates a massive amount of harmless gas (typically either nitrogen or argon) that floods into a nylon bag packed behind the steering wheel.

7)As the bag expands, it blows the plastic cover off the steering wheel and inflates in front of the driver. The bag is coated with a chalky substance such as talcum powder to help it unwrap smoothly.

coolThe driver (moving forward because of the impact) pushes against the bag. This makes the bag deflate as the gas it contains escapes through small holes around its edges. By the time the car stops, the bag should have completely deflated.

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/airbags.html

Pics below credits:
https://www.scienceabc.com/innovation/airbags-deploy-fast-car-accident-threshold-working-mechanism-accelerometer-acu-sensor.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by obafemee80(m): 1:06am On May 19, 2017
Types Of Airbags:
Airbags come in different shapes and sizes to protect almost every part of the human body in a car accident. There are even airbags to protect pedestrians that one may run into!

Frontal Airbag:
[img]http:///a/img922/121/5xezQw.jpg[/img]
The 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo was the first car in the world to come equipped with dual airbags, for the driver as well as the passenger, as a standard fitment. These airbags are mounted on the steering wheel to offer protection for the driver and on the dash, to protect the passenger.

Side Airbag:
[img]http:///a/img922/8872/zmMVmy.jpg[/img]
Side airbags offer protection to the occupants in case of a side impact. There are two variants.
One is a side torso airbag, that is usually located in the seat, that inflates between the driver and the door, to protect the torso.

[img]http:///a/img924/7408/OVWq6c.jpg[/img]
The second type is the curtain airbag. As the name suggests, the airbag is mounted on the roof and deploys like a curtain to offer protection for the side. Curtain airbags have been said to reduce brain injury or fatalities by up to 45 percent in a side impact with an SUV. Some vehicles offer this airbag which protects all three rows of seats in an impact.

Knee Airbag:
[img]http:///a/img922/3726/eEc8tZ.jpg[/img]
Knee airbags are designed to protect the legs of occupants. It was first used in the 1996 model Kia Sportage vehicle and has been a standard equipment since then. This airbag is usually mounted under the steering wheel. Since they have proved to be very efficient, the knee airbag has become increasingly common since 2000.

Rear Curtain Airbag:
[img]http:///a/img922/9240/fEuVCb.jpg[/img]
Rear curtain airbags are designed to offer protection to the head for occupants in the back of the car from impacts from the rear. The Toyota IQ featured this airbag in 2008.

Pedestrian Airbag:
[img]http:///a/img922/8117/TwbcKJ.jpg[/img]
First introduced by Volvo in the V40, pedestrian airbags protect unprepared pedestrians in the event of an accident. In a pedestrian test conducted by Euro NCAP, the Volvo scored the highest for pedestrian safety.

Motorcycle Airbag:
[img]http:///a/img924/278/hGS2p7.jpg[/img]
Even motorcycles come equipped with airbags to protect riders in a crash. Many have been tested over the years and in 2006, Honda introduced it in its production motorcycle, the Goldwing. Sensors in the fork detect and inflate the airbag in a severe crash.

Airbags In Motorcycle Gear:
[img]http:///a/img923/5385/kbdatw.jpg[/img]
There are motorcycle safety gear manufacturers who have been offering airbags in riding suits for MotoGP riders. These kind of suits are now being available to everybody. A small sensor inside the suit detects when an impact is about to happen and immediately inflates inside the suit, offering additional protection to riders.

http://www.drivespark.com/off-beat/airbags-history-types-how-they-work-and-more/articlecontent-pf16836-008948.html

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by kllinxman(m): 1:25am On May 19, 2017
I think Nissan has the best airbag.... Steering, seat, curtain and even Roof airbag. As seen in pathfinder 2006 and above.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by lekjons(m): 2:45am On May 19, 2017
That's cool!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by RichYoungNigga: 7:01am On May 20, 2017

Don't trust airbags

Even if your​ car is equipped with 40 airbags, you will still die from car accidents

Telsa is the strongest car in the world but people die in it

What about the airbags of my 2016 Range Rover that failed to deploy when i had a head on collision with an 18 wheeler truck killing my passenger instantly

I will never trust technology or science

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Ekakamba: 7:01am On May 20, 2017
grin

9 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Dottore: 7:02am On May 20, 2017
Good one
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Lexusgs430: 7:04am On May 20, 2017
With all this airbags, if a seat belt is not worn. One is on a one chance saloon.........

2 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by mattywealth(m): 7:04am On May 20, 2017
Air bag is actually over rated. Air bag will surely scare you to death.

Oyinbo brain washing us since the time of Adam and Eve

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Nonymartin(m): 7:05am On May 20, 2017
woow. good
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Fuckallmods: 7:07am On May 20, 2017
They won't read the post now, they're booking space. After they'll say it's the work of the devil

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Partnerbiz(f): 7:10am On May 20, 2017
Science i hail
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by SexyNairalander: 7:12am On May 20, 2017
booked
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by sotall(m): 7:12am On May 20, 2017
How many seconds does all this takes.
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by waterhouse071(m): 7:13am On May 20, 2017
This is the type of topics that should be making front page, not Davido second babymama cooks indomie.
This is educative, but unfortunately people wouldn't even read it.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by fapcrook(m): 7:14am On May 20, 2017
God first, I mean prayer before leaving the house, then safety Second
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by mikidon(m): 7:18am On May 20, 2017
nice one
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by sirfemoz(m): 7:20am On May 20, 2017
Airbags doesn't prevent death, but it provides chances for survival. These are one of the things car buyers need to look out for.

2 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by winzy(m): 7:22am On May 20, 2017
The ultimate airbag is GOD and minimizing your speed when driving carefully... Its better late than to be late!
God protect us all.

6 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Opeedo(m): 7:30am On May 20, 2017
This is what we need on FP

2 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by frisky2good(m): 7:43am On May 20, 2017
Did you fasten your seat belt?

RichYoungNigga:

Don't trust airbags

Even if your​ car is equipped with 40 airbags, you will still die from car accidents

[b]What about the airbags of my 2016 Range Rover that failed to deploy when i had a head on collision with an 18 wheeler truck killing my passenger instantly

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by 2uung(m): 7:43am On May 20, 2017
Lexusgs430:
With all this airbags, if a seat belt is not worn. One is on a one chance saloon.........
hmmn
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by RichYoungNigga: 7:46am On May 20, 2017
frisky2good:
Did you fasten your seat belt?

Of course
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by kittykollinxx(m): 7:52am On May 20, 2017
I don't have a car yet. I'll read when I buy my car
Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Nobody: 7:53am On May 20, 2017
winzy:
The ultimate airbag is GOD and minimizing your speed when driving carefully... Its better late than to be late!
God protect us all.

Africa why una no manufacture una own car instead of airbags tell customers sey na God be the safety features for car make I see who go buy am. Even una pastors go buy oyibo own with airbags.

Always bringing God into every conversation even where common sense is needed.

2 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:08am On May 20, 2017
Airbags are way overrated.
I prefer fatigue and alcohol sensors in vehicles as standard technologies

2 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by lawrenzi(m): 8:17am On May 20, 2017
if your village people dey after you and you are not prayerful. no airbag can stop them.

2 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by OMEGA009(m): 8:17am On May 20, 2017
RichYoungNigga:

Don't trust airbags

What about the airbags of my 2016 Range Rover that failed to deploy when i had a head on collision with an 18 wheeler truck killing my passenger instantly

That's why you should never buy your car from accidented car auction sites or from Berger car sellers. 2016 Range Rover ko 3030 Bentley ni. Pants on fire.

Abeg, no dey use water to fry old meat like us. If you really had an accident with a 2016 car and d airbags didn't deploy, you 4 sue d car manufacturers and become a millionaire in dollars instead of lamenting on NL.

9 Likes

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by RichYoungNigga: 8:20am On May 20, 2017
OMEGA009:

That's why you should never buy your car from accidented car auction sites or from Berger car sellers. 2016 Range Rover ko 3030 Bentley ni. Pants on fire.

Abeg, no dey use water to fry old meat like us. If you really had an accident with a 2016 car and d airbags didn't deploy, you 4 sue d car manufacturers and become a millionaire in dollars instead of lamenting on NL.
Sorry
I don't talk to kids

1 Like

Re: Airbags: How They Work And Types by kinkonp: 8:37am On May 20, 2017
airbag

(1) (2) (Reply)

300,000 Toyota Sienna Minivans Recalled As They May Roll-away Unexpectedly / Does A/c Wear Off Car Engine? / NUPENG Warns Of Adulterated Engine Oil In Circulation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.