Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA (37500 Views)

Prof B. L. Adeleke(08071878926): Meet the Prof that Won't let you Graduate / 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA / 5 Things You Should Know Before You Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 19, 2017
make it right when you still got time.. the op is right..tho it doesn't guarantee.

hard work / work smart.. focus. .. you can be anything.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Olive4(f): 1:16pm On May 19, 2017
[quote author=LastMumu post=56673169]Op is right. I had a CGPA of 1.61 in school five years ago and up till now I haven't been able to land a job. The cleaner job I was managing last year, the day my manager overheard me telling a colleague about my CGPA, he sacked me immediately. angry
[/quote

I know you are lying but it is very funny lolzzzzz

no offense tho

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Bakerdav: 1:22pm On May 19, 2017
Make you sit-down dey talk rubbish, everything in Nigeria are connection , weather u HV gud or bad grades,I hate when pple talking​ all this rubbish
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by fergusen: 1:29pm On May 19, 2017
lilmax:
6. you will insult the op grin
7. bashing the school forever grin
8. you will start using dangote to console yourself
every body got consequences to bear.... most of them laughed at those reading at the beginning, in your next life don't make the same mistake
grin Truth hurts. Nigerians need to stop living in denial.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by lokya(f): 1:30pm On May 19, 2017
LastMumu:
Op is right. I had a CGPA of 1.61 in school five years ago and up till now I haven't been able to land a job. The cleaner job I was managing last year, the day my manager overheard me telling a colleague about my CGPA, he sacked me immediately. angry
O' see lie,Just tell us say u dey automatically dumb ,intact u no go school ,Everything na packaging
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by fergusen: 1:37pm On May 19, 2017
Dottore:
Well the truth is that most first class, second class upper, Distinction, UpperCredit graduates end up being employed by illiterates, third class and pass holders.

I know many instances where the establishments of the so called illiterates engage the services of HR Consultancy firms to recruit for them. The HR firms even conduct aptitude test for the applicants. Chai
Therefore good grades do not matter?
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Xpensively(m): 1:37pm On May 19, 2017
lilmax:
every body got consequences to bear.... most of them laughed at those reading at the beginning, in your next life don't make the same mistake
let see your graduating C GPA. Who are you to judge another. Maybe that person will later employ you as his personal gourd in the future or luckily his GM. You know what I mean. Double your hustle chief. ...
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by craix(m): 1:43pm On May 19, 2017
Bros! it is not about CGPA that makes you successful. After all Mark zekeburg was a dropout.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by pweetiedee(m): 1:44pm On May 19, 2017
LastMumu:
Op is right. I had a CGPA of 1.61 in school five years ago and up till now I haven't been able to land a job. The cleaner job I was managing last year, the day my manager overheard me telling a colleague about my CGPA, he sacked me immediately. angry

This happened to you cos u want it to happen.

Don't you have talents? Learn a skill, just do something!
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by ephi123(f): 1:44pm On May 19, 2017
Number 1 is certainly true. But on the flip side, it is the perfect excuse to do your thing. Not everyone has to be an employee.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by CurrentSamuel(m): 1:46pm On May 19, 2017
brigadier747:
Rubbish post
Absolutely rubbish post
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by fergusen: 1:47pm On May 19, 2017
Adegbenro7643:
God,,,,na ur hand I dey o,,,,neva drop mai calls wey u don pick already angry

Lemme testify to your goodness to the very end
Well, jxt as much as grade does nt determine one's success, it has spoken for volume out there. Being @ a safer side is good & advisable.
O yes.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 19, 2017
lilmax:
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by fergusen: 1:54pm On May 19, 2017
Miraxzeebility:
oga i know lots of people who graduated with low CGPA but are bosses to those that scored high
Nothing new. The larger majority settles for less.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Nobody: 1:54pm On May 19, 2017
LastMumu:

LastMumu.. don't worry things will get better, just keep on trying to improve. why dont you learn programming..?

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by daambassador: 1:57pm On May 19, 2017
Whether first class, 2nd class, 3rd class or pass...what matters most is having skills and being creative...Sen, Dino Melayo is a vivide example...and let's not forget that our president Muhammad Buhari did not see the four walls of the university or will I say the university didn't pass thru him...yet he is the president to timbers and calibers of Nigerian society and funny enough a Prof happen to be under him...isn't humiliating?...Abeg make una go die with that first or second class of a thing...While I was serving in one the juicy ministry in Lagos state...the then commissioner of our ministry was always on my neck to be at every conference or meeting whether in Alausa, V.I, Lekki, or Badagary just to write the minute of the conference or meeting as in at a time most of the full time workers of the ministry began to address me as 'the private secretary of the commissioner'....funny enough the people or my fellow corps members kept shouting that they all grad with first class and second class upper but I was chosen as a result of my skills and creativity not that I have an outstanding result but being creative and know how to deliver on time...yes am a victim of the corruption going on in our higher institutions today, I fought the powers to be (my lecturers and faculty dean) especially my then H.O.D because of the evil they were perpetrating in my department and faculty then and in return they fought back by destroying most of my exam scripts just to frustrate me but at the end I graduated with my mates, serve with my mates during the service period, although the diff is just that I didn't grad with the supposed grade every member of my class expected me to grade with...
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 19, 2017
pweetiedee:

This happened to you cos u want it to happen.

I didn't graduate with a good CGPA, I cried, yes I did cos I know I studied and I am a very intelligent girl. I'm not bragging. That was the only reason I cried, not because I thought doors were closed or whatever the op called it.

I got a job two months after NYSC, I had other jobs asides that and I was doing fine on my own in Lagos. I quit the job cos my former boss frustrates any member of his staff that is in school.

I still make money from my other jobs. Will start my masters this year- professional masters.

I refused to look down on myself or let what my parents said get to me. I held my head high because I know I'm going to be very successful

Don't you have talents? Learn a skill, just do something!
It's good to know you didn't throw in the towel, grades (good or bad) to a certain extent does not decide how our future will play out. Successful people don't give in to failure, they take their life by the scruff and look for alternative solutions to succeed.

BTW, I'm surprised you took my post serious. Can't you see my name? grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by fergusen: 2:04pm On May 19, 2017
mmmustapha:
rubbish write up, I'm a third class holder and I don't have any regret about that and I'm a fighter, I believe in myself. having poor grade doesn't mean that you are lazy. In just believe in yourself. I'm currently studying pg crime management after that I will do my masters on MCJS
Good you didn't let that define you. Awesome that you are progressing career wise. However, the larger majority of those with poor grades settle for less. Read the original post again, this time slowly to get what I'm trying to pass across.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by lawrykings(m): 2:11pm On May 19, 2017
fuckerstard:
OP don go find trouble, but person still need good grades. No let all these jambites loose hope in education o
the education for Nigeria here na scam and crap if you be average Nigerian, the way no too sure to hammer, but pathetic enough these jambite never know, plenty of them they rush enter thinking na the only sure way to success, negating other skill acquisitions.

As an average Nigerian wey comot from family wey na hunger be their second name, giving 100% to school and relegating skills you can acquire thereby thinking you
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by fergusen: 2:15pm On May 19, 2017
craix:
Bros! it is not about CGPA that makes you successful. After all Mark zekeburg was a dropout.
Partly true. However, how many will/can take Mark's route and succeed?
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Snowstorm: 2:18pm On May 19, 2017
Please Ignore this post.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by bidak(m): 2:22pm On May 19, 2017
mmmustapha:
rubbish write up, I'm a third class holder and I don't have any regret about that and I'm a fighter, I believe in myself. having poor grade doesn't mean that you are lazy. In just believe in yourself. I'm currently studying pg crime management after that I will do my masters on MCJS
Pardon me I don't mean to be rude .. The write up isn't rubbish the Op actually made sense most people that had bad grades in school its because they are lazy, nobody is a dullard its just depend on how hardworking and dedicated you are to your study (have seen people that are not that brilliant having very good grade) and even if having good grade does not guarante you having a good or better life, it will save you some stress and difficult someone with bad grade will face

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by lawrykings(m): 2:24pm On May 19, 2017
fuckerstard:
OP don go find trouble, but person still need good grades. No let all these jambites loose hope in education o
the education for Nigeria here na scam and crap if you be average Nigerian, it is only rewarding for the rich child if you ask me.

the way no too sure to hammer for the average/poor kid, the chances of him being a good Return On Investment is very very low, pathetic enough these jambite never know, plenty of them they rush enter thinking na the only sure way to success, anyways I no really blame them, orientation from parents de poor, a lot of the average Nigerian parents if not all sees and are seeing school as the only sure way to success in life. we need to get this mentality off, it won't do the average family good.

As an average Nigerian wey comot from family wey na hunger be their second name, giving 100% to school and relegating skills which you can acquire, thereby thinking you're on the good run, bro na sorry be your name, you're on a long run. unless God come to your rescue.

my advice to any jambite from the average home reading my post, school is good it will build you, help you discover your strength and weakness, help you useful to yourself but don't give your 100% to it as you go, learn to attach a skill as you study, do them both, for this is the only sure way for the average Nigerian child to succeed in life.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Lejupiter(m): 2:36pm On May 19, 2017
Caramelemperor:
Lol...what a lie! It's only in Nigeria that I see people worship grades like they're gods. Good grades are good, but they don't guarantee you shiit in life. Nigeria is exactly as messed up as it is now cos we believe good grades are everything. It's this same reason that graduates idle around everywhere feeling too good to do certain jobs yet they scream unemployment. Lol.

On the other hand I see many Nigerians believing that because you graduated with good grades, then you are entitled to be automatically employed or entitled to become a leader....BVLLSHIT!

For me, I think the most important thing anyone who finished school with low grades or bad results should know is that contrary to what most Nigerians say or believe and even contrary to how the Nigerian work environment makes us all believe, what you know & what you can do is more important than what you graduated with.

This world is about getting results....even if you're a stark illiterate and you can produce the results that a company, corporation organization or even the world needs, you're better off than an entitled graduate who has a good result from school but can't produce real-time real life value.

Personally, the way I think, I never really bother much about people's results...I am usually more concerned with how much creativity and productivity they have to offer.
he be like say n.a. pass you carry graduate...
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by EbubeIkedi: 2:45pm On May 19, 2017
bounty007:
make it right when you still got time.. the op is right..tho it doesn't guarantee.

hard work / work smart.. focus. .. you can be anything.

How far?
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Awho(m): 2:50pm On May 19, 2017
not too far from the truth but having good grade does. not guaranty anything dear op

my neighbor graduated with a 2.1 in mathematics and even did his masters in the same field but my guy up till now nothing fort coming he's. only managing in a small private secondary school
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by lawrykings(m): 2:55pm On May 19, 2017
Ajewealth123:
Oga did you actually write all these?
I finished in Unilorin with 2.2
Kwara poly with lower credit.
Both results,I don't even know where I kept them.
I ventured into business immediately I graduated and today,I thank God extremely.

No matter where you are,you have to work your way to the top irrespective of challenges or self esteem.
I wonder if the following people have low self esteem cos they no go grades.
Bill gates
Seun osewa
Dangote
Heliu slim
Baba Ijebu

And the rest.
you see these aforementioned people, if they go into school, with the right course that befeat their true self under right conditions, they will come out with excellent grades.

yes, grades shouldn't be a navigator to success but what I feel the OP is trying to say is... the manner, attitude and demeanor you use to handle your studies could as well determine your course in life.

the subject is way deep but I think making good grades in school and being successful in whatever you do to succeed in life way depends on DISCOVERING one's elf. once this feat is attained, this is where priorities are set right, laziness, procrastination, and any habit that could hamper success is done away with, thereby giving no room for failure in what ever one does.

my point is, a discovered self will thrive excellently under right conditions. An undiscovered self will fail in academics and still fail even as an artisan or anything engaged in under right conditions.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Caramelemperor: 2:56pm On May 19, 2017
Lejupiter:
he be like say n.a. pass you carry graduate...
See Naija thinking? SMH.
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by whysquare4real(m): 2:57pm On May 19, 2017
fergusen:
I've seen many reasons adduced by several individuals why grades do not matter or are less important in determining future successes. I do think the influence of grades has been understated.

No doubt, grades can be a poor way to determine someone's success or better still, measure an individual's self-worth.

Your success in life or otherwise may not be determined by how excellent your grades are. It probably isn't going to make you successful or unsuccessful.

However, grades are an instant image of you at any point in time. Grades are the foremost tools schools use to measure it's students abilities. This means it will give a huge initial judgement about you, which transcends beyond the academic environment.
If you think grades don't matter, ask that friend who missed that fully paid scholarship by graduating with a third class.
Grades matter if you desire to get that competitive job where employers look at CGPA.
As a fresh graduate, grades will matter until you get something more compelling to sell yourself.
If you desire career progression in the academics, bad grades will ground you.

It is a fact that majority of people with low grades are usually defaulters when it comes to self-discipline, hard work, diligence, and planning skill, to mention but a few. All of these failings might act in limiting the success of these individuals (with poor grades) after graduation.

Good grades give you a head start, and an added advantage going forward. The world is moving at a fast pace, too busy in most cases to give you an opportunity to disprove your poor grades. Therefore they go by the numbers (grades) in assessing you. You probably won't get a chance to prove your competence.

And yes, Not everyone will be an entrepreneur or succeed as one. Not everyone will have giraffe legs (know somebody that knows somebody in that establishment). Not everyone will/can work in the Nigerian civil service (where anything goes).

Haven stated that, here are 5 things that happen when you graduate with a low grade:

1. You close important doors: some doors when closed can never be opened again. How sad! Whatever opportunities, big or small, there are outside that door eludes you forever.
If you settled for less and got low grades due to laziness and nonchalant attitude towards book work, you effectively closed all doors requiring higher grades!
A graduate with a pass or a third class automatically rules him/herself out of certain job opportunities! I need not mention these jobs, you know them.

2. Fewer choices: this is similar to the above. You end up with less choice if you graduate with a poor CGPA. why? Windows are smaller than doors!
Less career advancement options, less job option, and less pay. You'll have to settle for less.

3. Vices will appeal to you: I mean no disrespect to those with poor grades. However, social vices such as gambling, drunkenness, and others I choose not to mention will appeal to you. Anything just to dampen the disappointment of wasted years. However, it all ends in more disappointment for those not willing to get it right the right way.

4. Battered esteem: poor grades will batter your esteem. You will always avoid public discussions that will warrant a mention or display of your grade status either by you or others. Can you comfortably put your pass degree qualification on a CV? Never!
Deflated ego, inferiority, and other similar words will describe your situation.
Only a few (mentally strong) will refuse to be downcast and laid-back by letting grades get in their way to achieving success. The greater majority wallows in regret for years.

5. Delays in career progression: if you graduate with a third class, you'll need a PGD to move forward. If it's a pass, you're probably stuck/grounded. In the academics, grades are prioritised, and it'll remain so for a long time.

It is, therefore important that you begin to answer questions such as where you desire to be in the next five years, what steps to take to get there and what doors you need to go through. The earlier these questions are answered, the more doors you'll have access to, and go through.

To make it big, you either have to be the best at what you are doing (non academic activity) or follow the conventional easier path - good grades.

Choose the doors to open and don't let life choose for you because it might be a far cry from that which you desired.

Grades do matter a lot.

Copyright NAIJA CGPA
honestly graduating with a poot grade is a destiny spoiler. what's the way forward for someone with a poor grade? will u recommend him or her going back to school for another first degree? I know someone dat just went back to sch cos he finished with a poor grade. he sat for JAMB and he got admission into another sch. I even thought its a crime to seek for admission after you Ve graduated. is it a crime or not?
Re: 5 Things That Happen When You Graduate With A Poor CGPA by Caramelemperor: 2:58pm On May 19, 2017
lawrykings:

you see these aforementioned people, if they go into school, with the right course that befeat their true self under right conditions, they will come out with excellent grades.

yes, grades shouldn't be a navigator to success but what I feel the OP is trying to say is... the manner, attitude and demeanor you use to handle your studies could as well determine your course in life.

the subject is way deep but I think making good grades in school and being successful in whatever you do to succeed in life way depends on DISCOVERING one's elf. once this feat is attained, this is where priorities are set right, laziness, procrastination, and any habit that could hamper success is done away with, thereby giving no room for failure in what ever one does.

my point is, a discovered self will thrive excellently under right conditions. An undiscovered self will fail in academics and still fail even as an artisan or anything engaged in under right conditions.
You're a smart mind. You have hit the nail on the head!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

LAUTECH expels 45 students for involvement in examination malpractices (LIST) / Meet Dehlia Umunna, The First Nigerian Professor Of Law At Harvard Law School / Number Of Public Primary Schools In Nigeria According To Zones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.